Steven Youell is in a bad place

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Steven Youell is in a bad place

Postby Joe Mckay » March 6th, 2019, 6:51 pm

A friend of Steven's asked me to get the word out on this.

If anyone wants to help - here is the link:

https://www.gofundme.com/wife-took-all-the-money-and-left

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Steven Youell is in a bad place

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 6th, 2019, 7:17 pm

I had to ban him from here a few times. Bi-Polar would certainly explain his behavior.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » March 7th, 2019, 10:13 am

My post here may be many more times valuable than the modest contribution I could afford and just made on the gofundme site. I saw that there had only been $265 so far in donations out of the target amount of $10,000 Steven will need for a used car to get himself to and from the job he has been (fortuitously) offered, as well as for the food and lodging for himself and his dogs over the upcoming month or two until he starts receiving a paycheck.

There are many many people who subscribe to this Forum and if each just gave a small contribution, it would help a fellow magician (and a dang good one, although that's neither here nor there) from sinking down the tubes. But for the grace of God, this could have been any one of us, and certainly if we were in his position we would want the help he desperately needs from literally becoming homeless. He has asked, and we should answer, as we would want others to do if we were in the desperate position he finds himself. We talk about a "brotherhood" of magicians, and for a donation equal to a fraction of yearly IBM dues, this unfortunate person's life could be turned around. A brotherhood is a concept that far transcends sessioning magic tricks with other magicians; it means compassion and some sacrifice (and in this case only a small one is needed) when the chips are really down...

Hell, a fancy cup of coffee at Starbucks costs 5 bucks!

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » March 7th, 2019, 11:20 am

Well put Alfred. I had a loved one that had that illness and it's hard to watch what they go though. Hoping the best for Steven.

Anthony Vinson

Postby Anthony Vinson » March 7th, 2019, 11:27 am

Point well made, Alfred. Thanks for making it.

Av

Joe Lyons
Favorite Magician: Wonder

Postby Joe Lyons » March 7th, 2019, 12:09 pm

In Austin, Texas there is this for musicians. Is there no similar national program for magicians sponsored by SAM or IBM?

I am not discouraging individual donations as well.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » March 8th, 2019, 10:27 am

I do not know Steven personally. But I felt this thread needed a bump, because out of the $10,000 goal, there has been only $400 contributed, much of which has come from generous Forum members. Some people may be cynical of the gofundme process or site, or worried about using their credit card to make a donation, but this site has been around for 9 years, and there is absolutely nothing to be concerned about. GoFundMe uses the same secure & encrypted payments technology as your bank to ensure your donation is processed safely. Additionally, GoFundMe has a Guarantee that protects donors from fraud. I am not trying to be moralistic here, but I genuinely think that making a contribution that one can afford to a fellow magician in dire need is the right thing to do. Who knows how or when we may need the help of someone else?

Anthony Vinson

Postby Anthony Vinson » March 8th, 2019, 10:51 am

I was on the fence, but Alfred's earlier post inspired me to provide a little help, so obviously I agree with him.

Not everyone is in a position to provide monetary support, but there are other ways. As for anyone concerned about GoFundMe, I know that several folks have made payments to Steven directly via PayPal. Still others have directed Steven to other resources available through IBM, local charities, and even local animal rescues for help with his dogs. Some have also been encouraging him to seek help through mental health professionals. Even a message of support and encouragement couldn't hurt.

Av

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » March 8th, 2019, 9:50 pm

Just read that Steven's job may not be a go, but some Paypal's have helped out.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » March 10th, 2019, 2:31 pm

I was gratified to see today that there has now been $600 contributed by 19 people since March 8th (the time of the original post concerning Steven's plight), and that ain't bad. Just $9,600 to go...

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » March 10th, 2019, 10:15 pm

Whoops. Correction: Just $9400 to go ($10,000 - $600 = $9400).

Meanwhile, check out Steven performing using the classic force. Quite astonishing, actually. You couldn't even do this with stooges, and these people are definitely not stooges!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKeVZI9In1k

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » March 15th, 2019, 6:50 am

Joe Mckay wrote:A friend of Steven's asked me to get the word out on this.

If anyone wants to help - here is the link:

https://www.gofundme.com/wife-took-all-the-money-and-left

Update: There has now been $855 donated out of the $10,000 goal.

I don't have anything to say that I or others haven't already said on this thread, except that there is power in numbers and a small contribution by the many would achieve the goal in no time flat. I didn't want this to be forgotten or disappear into oblivion, so, I'm giving it a bump.

Return to “Buzz”