Please retire the term, "cardman."

Discuss the latest feature articles in Genii.
Luigi Anzivino

Re: Please retire the term, "cardman."

Postby Luigi Anzivino » November 29th, 2018, 11:30 am

MagicbyAlfred wrote:As another contestant in the "Re-name Game," I nominate
"Human Race"

"Human" (Adjective) - "mid-15c., humain, humaigne, 'human,' from Old French humain, umain (adj.) 'of or belonging to man' (12c.), from Latin humanus 'of man, human.' " (Online Etymology Dictionary).

"Race" - "Each of the major divisions of humankind, having distinct physical characteristics.
[Example] ‘people of all races, colours, and creeds’ )." (Oxford Dictionary)
"one of the main groups that humans can be divided into according to their physical differences, for example the color of their skin
[Example] 'the Caucasian/Mongolian, etc. race.' " (Oxford Learner's Dictionary).

Thus, while "human race" is a term universally used to refer to or describe or include all the people of planet earth, the populice of earth, as a whole, is neither "human," nor is it a "race."

"Huperson Species"?

https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/tools/lp/Bo/LogicalFallacies/30/Appeal_to_Extremes

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » November 29th, 2018, 12:06 pm

So I clicked on your link, Luigi, entitled "Appeal to Extremes," which states: "Description: Erroneously attempting to make a reasonable argument into an absurd one, by taking the argument to the extremes."

You have apparently overlooked that my comment regarding the term, "human race," was not an argument; just a factual observation. But if you think this is an argument and I am somehow your opponent, then I will happily concede. You win.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 29th, 2018, 6:58 pm

You can just call me "Bub."
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » November 30th, 2018, 6:42 am

prestideckitator

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » November 30th, 2018, 8:19 am

Escardmoteur (apologies to Harry Riser)

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 30th, 2018, 12:00 pm

Gents (because despite my request to more than one female magician to throw their two cents in here, none have), I have done a bunch of trimming and deleting on this thread.

I am happy that so many are contributing, and I think it's great that Peter Ross started this thread. I'm also grateful to Roger M. for his contributions.

Despite that, some personal animus has appeared along the way and has now been deleted.

In addition, while referring to "men" is wholly appropriate, describing us all as "old, fat, and white" has no bearing here. You could be young, thin, and a person of color (any color other than white) and still hold similar opinions.

Thank you.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jackpot

Postby Jackpot » November 30th, 2018, 12:41 pm

How about "Cardigan"?

Magician: "Hey, watch this magic trick!"

Spectator's inner monologue: "I hope he doesn't ask me to pick a card again."

(I use "he" only because all participants in this thread have identified themselves as men. We haven't heard from the lady card magicians. I suspect they don't have time because they're out performing while we men are following this thread.)
Not the one who created the Potter Index.

The Burnaby Kid

Postby The Burnaby Kid » November 30th, 2018, 7:09 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Gents (because despite my request to more than one female magician to throw their two cents in here, none have), I have done a bunch of trimming and deleting on this thread.

You see? Now they got us fighting over them in a brand new way!
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free beginner's resource for card magic.

skmayhew

Postby skmayhew » November 30th, 2018, 7:34 pm

Well, the votes have been counted and it's official!

The term that will replace 'cardman' in the lexicon is....

Cardwoman!!

Usage notes:
1) Plural: Cardwomen.
2) Cardwoman and it's variants are gender neutral and imply nothing beyond an interest or facility in card table artifice.

Examples:
"Lauren Cohen is an excellent cardwoman."
"The Fat Brothers are terrific cardwomen."

The phrase, "Jason England it one heck of a manly cardwoman," will not be interpreted to be ironic.

Cardwomen of the world unite around your leader! I'm looking at you Derek DelGaudio.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » November 30th, 2018, 10:58 pm

Every time I look at this thread I'm reminded of a Gloria Steinem quote about job requirements which can be found here:
http://famousquotefrom.com/gloria-steinem/

Using gender modifiers for job titles that have nothing do with gender just seems foolishly old fashioned to me. I'm not offended (on anyone's behalf) about it. Just feels like listening to old people talk about watching a video tape when they're viewing a DVD. Or looking at a YouTube video.

Return to “Feature Articles”