The Jerx on Natural Double Lifts

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Jonathan Townsend

Re: The Jerx on Natural Double Lifts

Postby Jonathan Townsend » August 4th, 2018, 2:27 pm

performer wrote:... appropriate for a crooked gambler. Whether it is the same for magicians is a debate that has been going on forever.
There's gotta be something more to a magic trick design than:
1) demonstrate skills openly
2) contrive some arrangement to which uses those skills
3) demonstrate outcomes per earlier demonstrated skills.

for example; if show them a second deal. then turn up the top card of the pack, and turn over that card again. then deal the top card onto the table... what does that mean to the audience? They know you could have dealt the second card. Are they supposed to wonder every time you deal a card to the table?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

performer

Postby performer » August 4th, 2018, 4:03 pm

Some people hide their skill and some people don't. And some people are in between. And of course even if you are of the school of thought that you hide the skill the audience pretty much figure out you have it anyway. And that is the way you might want it as a magician. You certainly don't want it as a crooked gambler.

Peirceman

Re: RE: Re: The Jerx on Natural Double Lifts

Postby Peirceman » August 4th, 2018, 5:19 pm

performer wrote:This thread reminds me of something which Harry Lorayne wrote a long time ago to the effect that magicians worry too much about things laymen don't give a darn about. Oddiy enough I think he wrote in connection with a double lift description!
I think a lot of this depends on why whether or not you are performing as a card sharp or a magician.

If your style is, "look at all the cool stuff I can do that you can't", then some not so natural styles can be incorporated and no one will care. You are simply juggling cards, not performing magic.

The same can be said if your style is that of the all powerful Oz. A powerful magician, by default, will handle his/her apporati different than mere mortals.

If your style is more, "I'm with you, I have no idea how this is happening, but I'm having fun showing it to you", then naturalness is critical.

Just my $0.02

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Jonathan Townsend

Re: RE: Re: The Jerx on Natural Double Lifts

Postby Jonathan Townsend » August 4th, 2018, 10:29 pm

Peirceman wrote:... Just my $0.02
Thank you.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » August 4th, 2018, 10:45 pm

Bill Duncan wrote:...I kind of wish we'd stop talking about the mechanics of the double lift so obsessively, and pay more attention the management of the moment. The best description of which, I think, is in Diverting Card Magic by Andrew Galloway. If memory serves me correctly, this is the double lift he suggests, as well.
On page nine, middle of the page, he makes some suggestions including using Harry Lorayne's handling from Close Up Card Magic.

Edward Pungot

Postby Edward Pungot » August 5th, 2018, 7:59 am

Nobody really wants to be punked by a juvenile demi-god or a show-off.

It seems if we want to win the crowd we should ground ourselves and focus our presentations on our humanity--our hopes, fears, desires, etc..

All sleights should be in- transit actions supporting the effect.

performer

Postby performer » August 5th, 2018, 8:13 am

Hopes, fears and desires? That is easy. When I watch the average magician (and most of them are average) My main hope is that the trick will be over and done with quickly, my main fear is that it is not going to happen and my main desire is that i was somewhere else.

Edward Pungot

Postby Edward Pungot » August 5th, 2018, 8:43 am

So are you saying the average magician is just masturbating in public.

Edward Pungot

Postby Edward Pungot » August 5th, 2018, 9:53 am

I think part of me has been steeped in method for so long that I forget the pure beauty of a simple effect. Seeing the Invisible Deck for the first time for example as a layman and how wonderful an impression it had on me. Uncluttered with "meaning" or story. Maybe trying to give it meaning ruins the effect. Like giving patter to the rising Sun.

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » August 5th, 2018, 1:34 pm

"Let's suppose the Sun represents the Ace of Diamonds, and the moon represents the Ace of Spades. Now if you look at tonight's solar eclipse, it looks as if the Ace of Spades is in front of the Ace of Diamonds. But a click of the fingers and presto, the sun and the moon have switched places almost as if the two cards had magically transposed!"

Method: Giant lever for the moon. Use your favorite method to ditch the lever afterwards.

performer

Postby performer » August 5th, 2018, 4:13 pm

Edward Pungot wrote:So are you saying the average magician is just masturbating in public.

As a psychic reverend and holy man of the cloth I have no idea what that means. However, I am getting a vibe that it is terribly vulgar and I cannot possibly approve.

performer

Postby performer » August 5th, 2018, 4:18 pm

Edward Pungot wrote:I think part of me has been steeped in method for so long that I forget the pure beauty of a simple effect. Seeing the Invisible Deck for the first time for example as a layman and how wonderful an impression it had on me. Uncluttered with "meaning" or story. Maybe trying to give it meaning ruins the effect. Like giving patter to the rising Sun.

Indeed. I have always been very cynical about magicians trying to add "meaning" to their work. To me that kind of effort is quite meaningless. It encourages pomposity and long windedness and attracts all those awful acting types to magic. I find it to be an excuse to over-present, more often than not. The best meaning is THAT YOU ARE DOING A TRICK. No other meaning in necessary.

However if you are daft enough to insist on this meaningless search for meaning my best advices is less is more. Like salt on a meal. A little flavours the food. Too much of it gives you high blood pressure.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » August 5th, 2018, 5:21 pm

Edward Pungot wrote: punked by a juvenile demi-god ...
interesting phrase. Thanks.

...yet our literature and dialogue continues to discuss fooling.

I like the moment when the performer catches the invisible deck in the paper bag.

I read somewhere that Nobody likes to be made the fool. .Would you mind playing the role of nobody for a couple of minutes ?

Edward Pungot

Postby Edward Pungot » August 5th, 2018, 10:17 pm

I like how the moon perfectly covers the Sun in a total eclipse like a perfect double. Neat trick.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » August 5th, 2018, 11:39 pm

Edward Pungot wrote:I like how the moon perfectly covers the Sun in a total eclipse like a perfect double. Neat trick.
https://www.space.com/27412-christopher ... lipse.html
There's a story about how that trick worked form Columbus :)

Glenn Bish Bishop
Favorite Magician: Billy Bishop

Postby Glenn Bish Bishop » August 14th, 2018, 10:33 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:It's nonsense. We are not laymen, nor are we pretending to be. Sometimes not understanding what Vernon meant by "be natural" leads to essays like that.

No, some laymen don't use their left thumb. We are not laymen. At a bare minimum, we are expert card handlers. So, like a professional dealer, we might push the card off the deck with our left thumb. Or, there are plenty of other double lifts if you don't want to push off with the left thumb. Daley's Strike Double. The Stuart Gordon Lift. Neither of those requires a getready, either.

Laymen (unless they play cards a lot) handle a deck with no grace, like a monkey.

We are not monkeys.

I agree. I like the lift in the book the card magic of LePaul. It is nateral for me.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”