GENII column Alexander de Cova

Discuss the views of your favorite Genii columnists.
Alex de Cova
Favorite Magician: Fred Kaps

GENII column Alexander de Cova

Postby Alex de Cova » July 28th, 2018, 1:02 pm

First of all, I would like to thank Richard Kaufman for inviting me to have a column in GENII magazine. Quite an honour and I hope you are enjoying my small contributions so far.

In the first essay I dealt with the trick "Forte-X", and a friend wrote in that I was riffing on Paul Curry's "Touch", and that the method has a long history. Both of which is true.

I checked the "World Beyond" and read the deep and informative history, which Stephen Minch wrote. When I "created" my routine (which is years ago), I wasn't aware of the Paul Curry background. It may be that I had read the "Touch" routine, but then it slipped from memory. And it wasn't the inspiration. As I wrote in my article, my inspiration was the "Ultissimo" dealer's prop, which was sold in Germany decades ago. I saw the German magician DIXON (Claus Wegener) perform this effect in one of his lectures in Germany when I was about 14 years old. At that time, I had no idea of Mr Curry, noir could I read English literature or had access to it. And the routine didn't interest me (maybe because of the unnatural stand and the fact you had to buy trick decks).

DIXON used a red(blue double-backer deck and a red deck (I disliked this even more). So my thoughts went to using double-blank cards as the cards where the predictions were written on because that seemed natural to me. The use of blank cards is nothing new, as I have read in the Minch history section. My contribution then is the subtlety of showing what I have written and later the switch of the packets (which I thought up to avoid using the stand).

I hope this clears things up. And I hope you like the material in my little column. All that is published in the column is material from my upcoming book NOTAS. You can look at my website to get more information about that project.

Thank you for your attention,
Alexander
NOTAS - my first book in English coming soon. We start shipping on Sept. 1st, 2018.
Read more about it on http://www.solidmagic.org

Mr. Charming

Re: GENII column Alexander de Cova

Postby Mr. Charming » July 28th, 2018, 11:07 pm

Dear Mr. De Cova,

Your column is excellent, please continue!

Return to “Columns”