Slydini's material

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.
Kieran
Favorite Magician: Dai vernon

Slydini's material

Postby Kieran » July 12th, 2018, 4:36 pm

Hi everyone,
I have Slydini's "as i recall" dvd set and would like to get his books also, the thing is i dont want to get the books that have the same material as in the dvd set. If anyone has the dvd set and books could you please point me in the right direction as to which books to get, thanks.

Kieran

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Slydini's material

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 12th, 2018, 5:08 pm

There are only four books:
The Magic of Slydini
Slydini Encores
The Best of Slydini
The Magical World of Slydini.

You need all of them.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jeffrey Cowan

Postby Jeffrey Cowan » July 12th, 2018, 5:38 pm

Concur with Richard, but you want the relatively recent annotated version of The Magic of Slydini. Gene Matsura adds some great tips and details that Lewis Ganson missed (or Tony didn't share with him).
I recommend that you first buy/study the Magic of Slydini and The Best of Slydini and More before getting to the other two books. These two contain the cornerstones of Slydini's work on timing and movement that you need to understand to do much of his material.
-- Jeffrey Cowan
www.cowan-law.com

Kieran
Favorite Magician: Dai vernon

Postby Kieran » July 13th, 2018, 1:47 am

Thanks for the replies, i will get all the books and look forward to reading every one of them. The man was a legend and I cannot stop watching him perform on the dvds, even before I go out the dvd set i must of watched him on YouTube a 100 times!

Kieran

performer

Postby performer » July 14th, 2018, 4:46 pm

I agree with Richard that all 4 books should be read. I do find one fault with all of them except the Encores book is the million photographs which I find may not necessarily be a good thing. As grumpy old Wilfrid Jonson once remarked it is an incompetent author and an inattentive student who requires dollops and dollops of illustrations to study a subject. And all those pictures have a tendency to turn the student into a Slydini clone. And it can make things more of a struggle to study when you have to keep looking at another picture every few seconds.

I do a lot of Slydini material but I found it early on that once you have mastered the stuff you should not be afraid to change it somewhat to your own style. For example I always found that the paper balls in a hat thing was somewhat weak and indeed boring. And Ken Brooke once told me that even Slydini thought it wasn't that great but he included in his book as it was an excellent illustration of his techniques and necessary for the student to progress in the studies of his methods.

I always ignored the trick until fairly recently. Now I get great results from it. I got rid of the silly hat or box idea, substituted a paper bag for it so I could perform it impromptu in coffee shops, I got rid of the music nonsense and substituted amusing patter and altered the method so I wouldn't be making an invisible ball disappear. I believe the trick is twice as good as it was before.

The moral of the tale is not to be stuck in the Slydini material as if it were cast in tablets of stone. Once you have mastered it then don't be afraid to alter it to suit yourself.

Return to “Reference Room”