ERDNASE

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
rrath1
Favorite Magician: Kaufman

Re: ERDNASE

Postby rrath1 » June 21st, 2018, 7:19 pm

Jason England, Thanks for your opinion on my auctions at http://www.webrummage.com. Everyday, we have over 2800 items up for auction on any particular day. Some prices high, some prices low, but our prices are not just made up. We have a staff member who price compares every item we post. Learned this from a antique book dealer in Highland Park, IL 20 years ago. Lesson one, its not what you paid for the book that values a book. Lesson two, the price of the book is valued at what the market is asking for the book on any particular day. Our research shows:

1945 Charles T. Powner Edition $1017.00
About this Item: 1944. (New Jersey Berkeley Heights: The Fleming Book Company 1944). This is the Enlarged Edition printed by The Charles T Powner Company of Chicago. A name and date (from 1947) on the FFEP otherwise a near fine copy in a VG+ D/W with the fugitive red spine faded to a lighter hue and a touch of minor edge wear. A very nice copy indeed. Considered by many magicians and card sharps to be the one essential guidebook to attaining the highest level of card mastery. Uncommon especially in nice condition. A rare find indeed. Seller Inventory # 355490716748
James M Pickard, 21 Grenfell Road, Leicester, LE2 2PA, The United Kingdom. Tel: 0116 2707169. E-mail: JPRAREBOOK@aol.com. $1017.00 plus postage from UK

About this Item: Fireside Publications Limited, Paragon Agencies Co., Toronto, 1945. Paperback. Condition: Good. Reprint. 205 pages. Over 100 black and white illustrations. "Embracing the whole calendar of sleights that are employed by the gambler and conjurer, describing with detail and illustration every known expedient, maneuver, and stratagem of the expert card handler." - from title page. Reprint of the 1902 first edition. Unmarked with moderate wear and external soiling. Binding intact. A quality early copy of this classic work which Gill (307) describes as "Without doubt the single most influential work on advanced sleight-of-hand with cards, and one which totally revolutionized card theory and technique. Still of immense value to modern exponents of card magic, and many of the concepts have yet to be improved upon.". Seller Inventory # 642H1061
Call 1-877-660-6118 or +1-250-245-8959 to order today. We ship in sturdy new cartons with full insurance and tracking. Photos available upon request. Questions? Please ask. Misdescribed items fully refunded. Contact: Jim and Mina Stachow, RareNonFiction.com, 13387 Code Road, Ladysmith BC V9G 1H7, Canada. Note to Canadians: we will not request additional GST or HST. :- Price: $695.00

Priced $678.37
About this Item: 1944. (New Jersey Berkeley Heights: The Fleming Book Company 1944). This is the Enlarged Edition printed by The Charles T Powner Company of Chicago. A VG+ copy in a VG spine faded D/W with shallow chipping at the spine tips (not affecting any lettering). A nice copy. Considered by many magicians and card sharps to be the one essential guidebook to attaining the highest level of card mastery. Uncommon. Seller Inventory # 355490716856 Price: $678.37
Terms of Sale:
James M Pickard, 21 Grenfell Road, Leicester, LE2 2PA, The United Kingdom. Tel: 0116 2707169. E-mail: JPRAREBOOK@aol.com.

This is just three examples of researching a value of a book.

Your estimate of $30.-$40 a book at best. My response is I will offer you $50 per for all seven copies from you, for a 66% return on your purchase price. Nice return, hey? Let me know, will pay-pal immediately.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » June 22nd, 2018, 12:49 am

rrath1 wrote: Lesson two, the price of the book is valued at what the market is asking for the book on any particular day.

When a seller asks a higher price than anyone is willing to pay (such as some of the more expensive copies appearing on Abebooks) over a long period of time, and never sells his copy because no buyer is willing to spend that much, then obviously that high price doesn't represent the "value" of the book.

I think most folks would agree on a definition more like:
The value of something is what an informed willing seller and an informed willing buyer agree upon, without either party being under duress.

Jason England

Postby Jason England » June 22nd, 2018, 1:02 am

rrath,

I don't doubt you did research. But I think you ran across some other sellers' inflated prices and thought that those must be the "going rates" for that title.

A much better method to determine pricing isn't to look at what people are asking for copies, but rather what they're getting for copies.

One of the sellers you listed (Pickard) is asking $1000 for one copy of the HB 1944 Powner in DJ and $600 for another copy. It's possible that this is the same copy with a price drop; it's tough to tell.

Regardless, in August of 2017 (less than a year ago), that exact copy sold at a major magic auction house in Chicago for the grand sum of...(wait for it)...$50.00. With the hammer fee - $75.00.

That's actually a little less than what I would've thought that book would sell for (I'd have said $100.00). But a room full of informed (thanks, Bill) buyers didn't even go that high.

Even the much rarer plain-wrapper DJ version of that exact same book (1944 Power) in MINT condition only sold for $550. That's about right for that copy in the condition. But $600 for a paperback Powner of any year or condition is preposterous if you know that market.

I'm hoping you find plenty of suckers for your price. A rising tide lifts all boats.

Jason
Last edited by Jason England on June 22nd, 2018, 1:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

rrath1

Postby rrath1 » June 22nd, 2018, 1:03 am

That is ideal. In really, as a merchant I do not care if the buyer is informed. And just a FYI they do sell. Many enthusiasts around the world do not care about price. They just want it now. Internet Auction Services LLC isn"t making a profit on informed collector's. 40% of the items we sell are overseas. We have a full time staff making a living. So. In conclusion, I run a business not a hobby.

Sent from my LGUS995 using Tapatalk

Jason England

Postby Jason England » June 22nd, 2018, 1:08 am

rrath,

Incidentally, if you'd been 10 or even 20% higher than going rates I probably wouldn't have even noticed. I see those all the time. But when you're an order of magnitude off of the going price it's eye-opening to a serious collector like me.

I was only trying to help you actually sell the books in a reasonable amount of time. I wasn't attempting to laugh or point fingers at your prices. Seeing the inflated prices of other sellers is confusing to anyone that doesn't also see those same copies selling at much more reasonable prices routinely.

I'll do my best to keep my eye on your eBay auction, but please let me know if someone pays those prices anytime soon. I'd be very interested in that.

Jason

rrath1

Postby rrath1 » June 22nd, 2018, 2:17 am

Jason I apologize.

Sent from my LGUS995 using Tapatalk

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » June 22nd, 2018, 1:16 pm

You are right, there are customers for whom convenience and "right now" are worth more than money. If you have cornered that market, good for you.

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » June 22nd, 2018, 3:00 pm

I've got a couple of dozen assorted K.C. Card, Drake, Firefly, Powner, Frost, etc editions in good to mint condition ... and I'd not value a single one of them at more than $100.00 ... indeed most (if not all) are worth between $35.00 and $85.00.

I've long considered Jason's estimates of assorted EATCT editions cash value as the most credible available.
Many sellers have a higher asking price than Jason notes ... but the actual traffic in EATCT sales and trades occur at or around the prices Jason noted in his earlier post.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » July 9th, 2018, 11:27 am

Another round of text analysis - soon?
https://blog.jonlu.ca/posts/the-federal ... clustering
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Return to “General”