Vernon, Marlo - mutual respect?

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
Darren Lawbuary

Vernon, Marlo - mutual respect?

Postby Darren Lawbuary » November 5th, 2004, 1:25 am

I hope this is the right section with which to ask for your knowledge to be shared. How often, if at all, did The Professor and Marlo actually meet personally? One can assume that there must have been, perhaps, both some wariness AND respect of one another.
I would be fascinated to learn of any documented meetings of the pair.
I thank you all in advance for your help.
Remember, laughter is the best medicine. Unless you're asthmatic, then it's Ventolin.

Jon Racherbaumer

Re: Vernon, Marlo - mutual respect?

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » November 5th, 2004, 9:59 am

Over the years Marlo and Vernon met, sometimes privately, vis-a-vis; other times, when others were around. I would characterize their sessions to be civil, synergistic, and cordially collegial. Despite what their fans, friends, and camp-members often said and did as their "proxies," they respected each others skills and knowledge. They also realized that they were cardmen exerting enormous influence.

The heart of any contentiousness usually centered around credits and the accuracy of the interpreted provenance of tricks, sleights, and ideas.

I never, ever heard Marlo denigrate Vernon's expertise or power to influence. He always praised Vernon in this regard--at least to me and in my presence.

Were they guarded?
Perhaps...
Did they share confidences?
Sometimes...
In the old days, gentlemen, if told something in confidence, kept their word and remained mum.

Marlo and Charlie Miller also happily sessioned one-on-one.

There was only once that Marlo, Vernon, and Miller publicly shared the same stage. THis historic meeting was captured on tape. It was a sight to behold and heart-warming to hear what each said.

Onward...

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » November 5th, 2004, 10:13 am

I believe Vernon mentioned in one of his columns that Marlo had come out west, visited the castle, etc. I don't have the issue any more but his tone was very respectful and friendly, and his description of the event matches exactly what Jon described.

Darren Lawbuary

Postby Darren Lawbuary » November 5th, 2004, 3:50 pm

I truly appreciate the time you both took to reply and the information offered.
Mr Racherbaumer - it is always a pleasure reading your words. Thank you for sharing them with us all so frequently.
In magic, with respect.
Remember, laughter is the best medicine. Unless you're asthmatic, then it's Ventolin.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » November 6th, 2004, 11:35 am

There are several references, nice ones, to Marlo in Vernon's "Vernon Touch" columns in Genii. Vernon says that Marlo should visit the Magic Castle, which Marlo eventually did (to receive his Academy of Magical Arts Fellowship).

The Vernon Touch columns will eventually see the light of day in a Genii Corporation reprint. The head Genii may be able to provide further details.

Matt Field

Darren Lawbuary

Postby Darren Lawbuary » November 6th, 2004, 5:02 pm

Matthew - your reply is appreciated.
Sincerely.
Darren

Rafael Benatar

Postby Rafael Benatar » November 7th, 2004, 1:25 am

They appear together in a picture (with Charlie Miller and Ron Bauer) in p. 216 of the Vernon Chronicles Vol. 2. Always thought their faces, as well as their positions in the picture, speak for themselves.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » November 7th, 2004, 9:50 am

Marlo looks like he's downwind of something smelly.

Or maybe he's just mad that his toupe is falling forward.

Jon Racherbaumer

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » November 8th, 2004, 9:32 am

INSTEAD OF WRITING A THOUSAND WORDS

Photographs, "slivers of frozen time," can be a source of interesting speculation. They can also be similar to gazing at the pictures shown in those Thematic Aperception Tests, which are ambiguous and open to several interpretations. One's responses reveal more about the interpreter than the picture itself expresses.

The POSED photograph of Vernon, Miller, Bauer, and Marlo (snapped in Santa Barbara?)is interesting on several counts:

The group is facing the sun, which explains the squinting. Only Vernon and Marlo are wearing jackets. Miller is the only one wearing a hat.

Marlo holds a cigar and looks dapper. Vernon's attire is an odd mixture of non-matching colors and textures. Vernon crosses his arms, his left hand perhaps holding the right arm that he broke many years prior? BTW this is a slightly defensive pose.

Miller stands behind the others, his grin looking sunny. His place in the group is slightly marginal: close to Vernon and but BEHIND him.

Bauer, who was instrumental in getting Marlo to come to California for this event, puts his left arm around Marlo, who stands on his LEFT side, on the OUTSIDE, furthest away from Vernon. Bauer is sensitive to what he calls "positioning."

Sidebar: I never understood why Marlo wore a toupee. I took photographs of him from 1968 to 1978 and he had hair during this period--plenty of it. He was not balding. Then a year passed and when I saw him again, I thought that he had styled his hair. In fact, I commented on his new style, saying: "Jeesh! You look like Liberace of the Pasteboards!"

Over the years he changed hair pieces a few times. However, it's a mystery to me why he needed one in the first place?

Onward...

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » November 8th, 2004, 9:39 am

Originally posted by Jon Racherbaumer:
it's a mystery to me why he needed one in the first place
Jon!!?? You mean you don't know about the Comb-over Holdout?

Matt Field

Rick Schulz

Postby Rick Schulz » November 9th, 2004, 11:24 am

Jon,

You stated that historic meeting of Vernon, Marlo and Miller was captured on tape. Was this audio or video? Is the tape available?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Rick

Postby Guest » March 1st, 2006, 2:35 pm

I have no idea about the story behind it but here's a picture of interest:

http://www.larryjennings.com/images/ver ... gs_big.jpg

Jon Racherbaumer

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » March 1st, 2006, 7:23 pm

The historic meeting at the Castle is part of the double-DVD set that Dave Solomon just put out (IT'S IN THE CARDS). It is also on Wakeman's MARLO CONFIDENTIAL video.

Hope this helps...

Onward...

Postby Guest » March 14th, 2006, 1:41 pm

Any photos or first hand accounts of one performing a trick for the other? Or how about a copy of Inner Secrets signed to my dear friend Eddie?

Postby Guest » March 14th, 2006, 8:24 pm

An interesting little tidbit is Marlo's annotations of Vernon's Revelations along with Vernon's single response to the annotations which was "Keep on Striving Ed".

Postby Guest » March 15th, 2006, 12:18 pm

Shane,

Lots of Marlo's annotated notes and annotations in books are circulating. Just keep checking around. Andy Greget at one time had a lot of pamphlets all annotated by Marlo.

Gary

David Acer

Postby David Acer » March 15th, 2006, 2:48 pm

Originally posted by G. Plants:
Shane,

Lots of Marlo's annotated notes and annotations in books are circulating. Just keep checking around. Andy Greget at one time had a lot of pamphlets all annotated by Marlo.

Gary
I remember seeing a copy of Paul Harris's Close-Up Kinda Guy full of Ed Marlo annotations. It was interesting to read his thoughts on the material, and his resistance to Paul's playful writing style.
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » March 15th, 2006, 3:04 pm

In the early 1980's, there was a PCAM convention in Santa Barbara, CA. Both Marlo and Vernon were there, and spent a lot of time at the convention talking to each other and having a great time. I got the sense they were doing a lot of catching up; it was actually hard to talk to Vernon at that convention because he was spending so much time with Marlo (and Vernon was usually very accomodating to kids who had questions on his material.)

I also remember Marlo lecturing at the convention; it was mostly a demo of all the moves he had worked on, with variations. It was facinating to see him run through move after move, almost all of them executed spot-on. A little intimidating, too.

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”