The Necromantic Grimoire of Augustus Rupp

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.

The Necromantic Grimoire of Augustus Rupp

Postby Guest » August 26th, 2007, 6:06 am

The Necromantic Grimoire of Augustus Rupp copyright 1974 bob lynn #366 0f 500. The question is did it originally come with "The Key" or was this something that someone else came out with later?

Any info would be appreciated.

Jeff

Kevin Connolly

Re: The Necromantic Grimoire of Augustus Rupp

Postby Kevin Connolly » August 26th, 2007, 6:42 am

Just the black hardcover and the yellow softcover. No key.
Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

Postby Guest » August 26th, 2007, 9:22 am

Kevin, is not the yellow softcover the key?

here's an example.
http://www.biblio.com/books/95087814.html

Jeff

Postby Guest » August 26th, 2007, 11:19 am

The softcover is the key. It lists a number of effects you can do with the book, and references others in various publications IIRC.

Postby Guest » August 26th, 2007, 11:28 am

Thanks Robert but my question is did the book come with the key or did it come later?

thanks
Jeff

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » August 26th, 2007, 12:41 pm

I'll try again.

Just the black hardcover and the yellow softcover. No key.
Please visit my website.

http://houdinihimself.com/

I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

Postby Guest » August 27th, 2007, 9:45 am

Ah, I see your question, sorry I should have read more closely:

The book was designed with the 'key' and I'm certain they came out as a package. I didn't buy one at the time, but I recall seeing the ad in one of the Invocation's and I believe that mentions they are shipped as one unit, specifically for doing effects.

Postby Guest » August 27th, 2007, 11:01 am

Originally posted by Robert Allen:
Ah, I see your question, sorry I should have read more closely:

The book was designed with the 'key' and I'm certain they came out as a package. I didn't buy one at the time, but I recall seeing the ad in one of the Invocation's and I believe that mentions they are shipped as one unit, specifically for doing effects.
Thanks Robert, that's what i was looking for.

Jeff

Postby Guest » August 27th, 2007, 3:49 pm

Yes, they were sold together AS ONE UNIT. Also contained a tip in special printed Center Tear with the signs of the Zodiac in Hebrew instead of the familiar Greek symbols. Raven calls these the "Magic Circle of Dr. Faustus." These are my favorite center tear items and I have had them printed up in quantity.

Postby Guest » August 27th, 2007, 6:10 pm

Thank you Gale, I guess I need to find these items. LOL.

Jeff

Postby Guest » August 27th, 2007, 7:33 pm

I have this book and its key that I bought forever ago. Does anyone know what it is worth? I've always loved it.

Yours,
DJ

Postby Guest » August 28th, 2007, 5:01 am

Originally posted by Dale Shrimpton:
I wonder if i prompted this question.Lol.

Yes, both the key, and the bok came out at around the same time.-The key, is no more than the instuctions to the 3 effects, possible with the book.
I have a copy of both, and will be willing to sell.
Looking around, i have found that the highest price paid was just under $1000.( silly money i know , but someone paid it) :rolleyes:

Im not thinking of this kind of figure.

The photo of my copy, is on my website if anybody is interested.( see bellow )

there are routines that use one of the forces in the book, in Deamons Darklings, and Doppelgangers, and Larry Beckers world of super mentalism.
Image Image Image

Postby Guest » August 28th, 2007, 6:10 am

Mine came with a little card that must have been for one of the effects and you'll notice that the cover has a red wax stamp. None of the other books I've seen have this red seal. I didn't think I'd ever part with mine, but if someone offered me $1000 for it, then I might just take it. Mine is #384 of 500.

Diamond Jim Tyler Image

Postby Guest » August 28th, 2007, 6:14 am

I apologize for the picture being so HUGE. I thought they would be reduced in size once uploaded. At least now you can get a real close look at it. :)

DJ

Postby Guest » August 28th, 2007, 7:18 am

my one is 406.

Interesting!.
is it possible that yours has been adapted by a prievious owner?

or, maybe one or two were sold like this direct, but dealers just sold the basic book.
Im sure my copy of the key mentions supreme magic somewhere. Thought this may well be relating to effects found in other books that utilise the vampire force.
In a way, id be sorry to see mine go. But i dont use it.It should be used.

Its worth noting that the card, isnt mentioned in the key. presumably this wasnt a common adition either, though its shown in the copy linked above.

Postby Guest » August 29th, 2007, 4:31 pm

It was Tony's hope that the set would arrive completely intact...but often wasn't to be. Though the wax seal was a nice touch it tended to dry out very quickly and easily slide off and hence many never ultimately even realized it had once been there. A good idea in theory but just impractical in execution. Likewise, tipping in the center tear & card.....for some reason they often just apparently didn't survive the handling or fell out...as guys would receive the books and no card or center tear!

MDA dealers like Al Cohen & others would certainly not remove anything originally contained....they just didn't end up arriving intact.

Mine is #281

Guess I'm really getting old (65) it is mind bending to think one set sold for $900+!!!!

Postby Guest » August 30th, 2007, 3:58 am

interesting .looking at Jims copy, there seems to be some ghosting around the wax seal. from memory, There is no indication what so ever,that my copy ever had anything on its cover.

by the way, how much did it originaly sell for?

Postby Guest » August 30th, 2007, 6:07 am

Dale, the copy I've seen has no indication that a wax seal was ever applied to the cover. You would think there would be some staining or something.

Jeff

Postby Guest » August 30th, 2007, 10:42 am

I think originally these were about in the ballpark of $40. Someone with the bound Invocations could look through the first year or two and find the ad I think.

I bought mine used. There are no tipped in cards or wax seal (or evidence of a wax seal), FWIW.

These would typically go for less than the Negromicon or Scroll of ye mage on the used market (and the latter two seem to have come down in price over the past few years.)

Postby Guest » September 1st, 2007, 8:01 pm

I have my key book, but I can't locate the book itself. I think my wife has it packed up somewhere. I believe it originally sold for about 20 bucks. As far as the card, I know I got it too, but I can't remember if it came with the book or as a suppliment to aan issue of Invocation for a different trick.
Kim

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”