Michael Close Lecture

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
rdumais

Michael Close Lecture

Postby rdumais » April 14th, 2005, 5:06 pm

Just want to let anyone interested know that I saw his lecture in Salt Lake 4/11 and it was GREAT! If he will be anywhere near you, this is one not to be missed.

Re: Michael Close Lecture

Postby Guest » April 14th, 2005, 8:57 pm

Mr. Close will be in Toronto on May 15--tickets are available at the Browser\'s Den .

Postby Guest » April 15th, 2005, 6:56 am

I forgot about that. I suppose this means that I have to clean up the house. Damn nuisance.

I understand that some of the profit of that event will be spent on taking out life insurance on me. If I end up murdered you will know who did it.

Danny Archer

Postby Danny Archer » April 16th, 2005, 9:19 am

Michael and Lisa lectured in Denver on 4/14 and the lectures was fantastic ... their use of video and music has raised the bar for lecture presentations ... (I told Mike that I'm glad my tour in May will not be cities he just lectured at!) ...

I already had purchased CGS and I am very familiar with his published material, but it is a treat to watch him do his thing ...

He genuinely wanted people to improve their own magic and that really came through ...

... in the interest of fairness, I did arrange his lecture tour and I hesitated posting because of that, but I do believe that you should try and catch the Michael Close lecture if they are nearby ...
Producer of MINDvention
mentalism convention

Michael Close

Postby Michael Close » April 16th, 2005, 2:33 pm

Lisa and I have come down from our Rocky Mountain high and have headed into the heartland. We lecture in Kansas City tonight, Lincoln NE tomorrow, and St. Louis on Monday. All the the details are here:

www.MichaelClose.com/lecture.html

If you are in the area of any of these lectures, I hope you can stop by.

Also, Lisa and I have started a blog chronicling our lecture trip. You can read it (and join in if you wish) here:

http://michaelclose.myblogsite.com/blog

Best

M. Close

Max Rodriguez

Postby Max Rodriguez » April 16th, 2005, 8:16 pm

Michael,I noticed on your site you dont have any florida lectures are you going to come to florida on your lecture tour maybe to
Daytona Magic shop that would be cool.

Bob Kentner

Postby Bob Kentner » April 18th, 2005, 6:32 am

MIke and Lisa were in Lincoln, NE last night. THe lecture was well received. All in attendance had a wonderful time. I think Mike's use of the mult-media format for the lecture will change the face of how magic lectures are presented.

Without tipping the content of the lecture. The material is useful and important to all levels of magicians. From the beginner to the working pro. No matter what level or style of magic you perform the material in this lecture will make you a better magician (if you apply what is presented). I think this was Mike's goal and I think he exceeded it.

Outstanding lecture well worth the time and effort to attend.

Bob Kentner

Postby Guest » April 24th, 2005, 10:00 pm

4/16 CLOSE LECTURES IN KC... WOW!!!
If you like magic, go see Michael Close's lecture. If he's coming to your town on this lecture tour, go see him. If he's not coming to your town, plan a weekend getaway to a town on his route, and go see him. Regardless of whether youre a working pro or a hobbiest; whether youre a long-time "professional appreciator" of magic (like me) or just starting out in magic, Michael Close will give you one thing you need: leverage. Leverage to be a better magician. He'll reveal some great methods, sure... but more importantly, hell share secrets which you can apply to any type of magic that interests you - secrets that will MAKE YOUR MAGIC BETTER. He won't just fool you, he will make you say, "I don't think a human being can do what he did." And, he will make you think about how you can extract such high praise from your audience as well. He will make you laugh. He will make you think. Hes most certainly a great teacher, and he has several products along with him on this tour that youll want to consider. I'm not a pro, so you most of you won't know me (and neither does Mr. Close - my opinion is not tainted by a friendship with him). I operate a real estate company, and I readily admit that I do not yet possess any appreciable talent for magic performance. My talent stems from being a connoisseur of magic I recognize outstanding magical talent when I see it. Michael Close has it, hes sharing it, and you shouldnt miss the opportunity to learn from him in person. I give this lecture my HIGHEST RECOMMENDATION.

Rob Signs

Postby Rob Signs » April 26th, 2005, 4:22 pm

I was at a "workshop" that Michael did in SoCal about a month ago and it was great. I definitely benefitted from it. I was already familiar with much of his material (CGS, etc.) but it was great to hear him in person and see many of the routines live.
Definitely a lecture/workshop not to miss.

Steven Kline

Postby Steven Kline » April 27th, 2005, 4:07 pm

Just saw Michael and Lisa last night in Columbus Ohio - What a great lecture. This one really got me wanting to work on new stuff and stretch my boundries a bit more.
Thanks Mike !

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » April 27th, 2005, 4:28 pm

Mike was likewise great in Indianapolis on the 21st. (The home cooking seemed to agree with him.) Check Little Egypt Magic for a more complete review plus photos.

Rubber Dougie

Postby Rubber Dougie » April 27th, 2005, 6:53 pm

Mr. Close will be in Winnipeg on May 19th. All of the local magicians are anticipating a great lecture!

Michael Close

Postby Michael Close » May 5th, 2005, 9:55 pm

Lecture Updates

Just a note to update everyone on the lecture schedule.

On Friday, May 6, well be in Cincinnati at Haines House of Cards. The lecture starts at 7pm.

On Monday, May 9 well be in South Bend, Indiana, then on to Cleveland and Buffalo. Complete details can still be found at:

www.MichaelClose.com/lecture.html

Id also like to mention that this lecture is designed for a broad spectrum of magicians. I think it has information of value regardless of experience, skill level, or field of interest. I havent seen a lot of guys in the 18-30 age group in attendance. I just want people to know that this is not a technically advanced card lecture. The tricks are merely the vehicles I use to demonstrate some of the Big Secrets of magic.

We had been chronicling our adventures on a blog, but weve discovered some problems with blog site, so we have discontinued it.

Postby Guest » May 6th, 2005, 6:53 am

Hi Mike,

It has been brought to my attention that you have canceled a few of the lectures which you previously committed yourself to with no explanation.

I would like to know why you cancelled your lecture in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

Danny Archer

Postby Danny Archer » May 6th, 2005, 7:52 am

Originally posted by pierredan:
Hi Mike,

It has been brought to my attention that you have canceled a few of the lectures which you previously committed yourself to with no explanation.

I would like to know why you cancelled your lecture in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
I arranged the lecture tour and that lecture was never offically booked, so it was not cancelled ... Mike's schedule developed so that he was unable to make it to Ottawa during this trip ...
Producer of MINDvention

mentalism convention

Brian Rasmussen

Postby Brian Rasmussen » May 11th, 2005, 9:24 am

I was not able to attend the Indianapolis lecture. However, I was thrilled to find Michael's lecture notes available on his website for a small price and they are sent as an immediate download. Included are his Powerpoint slides, suggested reading list, several routines (some from Closely Guarded Secrets), and bonus essays from the Worker's series. The amount of material is really something for the price. This PDF does print out into an awesome book similar to CGS. If you missed out before you may want to get the notes. Go to www.michaelclose.com

Erik Hemming

Postby Erik Hemming » May 11th, 2005, 2:00 pm

Just a quick note of appreciation and exhortation for those magicians on the remaining arc of Mr. Close's schedule to beat a path to where ever he is lecturing.

Close's lecture is one of the best organized lectures I've ever seen, on any topic. (And I've sat through more than my fair share, on both a voluntary and involuntary basis.) It is deeply structured to be germaine to a wide variety of advanced practitioners, hobbyists and neophytes.

Close offers up a set of effects that are, by turns, brilliant demonstrations of marketed effects, thoughtful recombinations of marketed effects, quickly accessible material developed by Close, and "deep study" stuff that requires months/years of work and guts to pull off. Truly satisfying.

But more satisfying was the philosophical and analytical underpining that Close brought to the whole of the lecture. It wasn't just "Tricks and How To Do Them." It was about respecting and perfecting the art. Not just ephemeral stuff, but real, concrete suggestions about how to get it done. I haven't seen as good since Carney blew through a few years back.

In short, Mr. Close is worthy of your time, attention and money. More cannot be said of any lecturer....

Catch him if you can.

Gordo

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » May 16th, 2005, 2:45 pm

I drove three and half hours to attend Mike Closes lecture in Toronto on May 15. It was one of finest lectures I've ever attended on any subject (any subject, not just magic). Mike should be giving lectures on how to give lectures. It was an amazing amalgam of teaching, magic, showmanship and salesmanship. His finale caused a complete stampede to the table of goodies.

Mikes entire approach, the whole ebook thing-that-moves-and-talks, is so far ahead of everyone else that when combined with the incredible quality of the material, he has no competition at all.

And the lecture has a bonus, something you can use for any magic you do: Mike explains how to make your stuff better by explaining how he made his stuff better. Does this work? Sure does. He fooled me with my own trick.

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » May 16th, 2005, 5:34 pm

Originally posted by Bob Farmer:
I drove three and half hours to attend Mike Closes lecture in Toronto on May 15. It was one of finest lectures I've ever attended on any subject (any subject, not just magic). Mike should be giving lectures on how to give lectures. It was an amazing amalgam of teaching, magic, showmanship and salesmanship. His finale caused a complete stampede to the table of goodies.

Mikes entire approach, the whole ebook thing-that-moves-and-talks, is so far ahead of everyone else that when combined with the incredible quality of the material, he has no competition at all.

And the lecture has a bonus, something you can use for any magic you do: Mike explains how to make your stuff better by explaining how he made his stuff better. Does this work? Sure does. He fooled me with my own trick.
Mike couldn't get a better review if he gave it himself. When's he coming to New York?

Return to “Buzz”