Majikat ?

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
MaxNY
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

Majikat ?

Postby MaxNY » March 11th, 2005, 7:27 pm

The Long Island PBS station aired Majikat tonight. I don't get this station, must be out of the "Must carry" line, for cable ops. This 1976 concert features live magicians, anybody know who?

Greg McNeil

Re: Majikat ?

Postby Greg McNeil » March 11th, 2005, 8:22 pm

I found a copy of the program for the live concert tour of Majikat in '76. It shows the magicians as a group called The Magicats who were listed as Charles Dent, Cathy Shoppe, and Greg Smith.

Greg

Greg McNeil

Postby Greg McNeil » March 11th, 2005, 8:48 pm

And here are a couple excerpts from a review of the concert that appeared in The Cleveland Plain Dealer on February 21, 1976...

"Black magician, Chuck Dent, came out first, produced pigeons out of thin air, then moved four small empty boxes around the stage. He suddenly stacked the boxes and presto, out popped the Cat."

"Stevens then went to the piano and said he was going to do a new song, "Whistle Stop." an instrumental number. But no instrumental ever had such an accompaniment. Magician Dent returned with Greg Smith, his assistant, and "sawed" a bouncy blonde, Cathy Schoppe, in half to the music."

A copy of this review was found on the catstevens.com web site. A web search on the names of the individual magicians doesn't bring up much more information than that.

Greg

Torkova

Postby Torkova » March 13th, 2005, 7:05 am

I bought a copy of the DVD from Amazon pretty cheap. The magic on there is minimal. Just a couple of minutes. The concert is great but I wouldn't buy it just to see the magic. I attended the concert when it was in NYC at Madison Square Garden and it was one of the best I ever saw. And I didn't even know going in that there was going to be magic performed!

Return to “Buzz”