Highlights and magic moments WorldMagicSeminar 2004

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.

Highlights and magic moments WorldMagicSeminar 2004

Postby Guest » January 16th, 2004, 7:14 am

Have you been there ?? O.k. lest's go !!!
Tell us what's happened !!!!
Bye

Tom Dobrowolski

Re: Highlights and magic moments WorldMagicSeminar 2004

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » January 16th, 2004, 7:23 am

Two of the highlights were definitely Tim Conover's performance and Geoff Latta's lecture.

Oliver Corpuz

Postby Oliver Corpuz » January 16th, 2004, 1:36 pm

At this year's WMS, I truly enjoyed seeing Wayne Dobson perform and lecture. His tremendous spirit and hysterical humor are genuinely inspirational. Wayne truly is an entertaining person.

Tim Connover's card work made my head hurt as he performed miracle after miracle.

Armando Lucero's Coin Menagerie is the most beautiful close-up routine I have ever seen. I never get tired of seeing it.

Losander and Tommy Wonder's animated sphere effect is visually breathtaking.

Seeing Mark Mason pitch his wares in the dealer room is always a treat, especially seeing him demo his new "Card to Shoe" effect. The retention of vision achieved from the gimmick is incredible. He completely sold out of them at the convention.

Finally, during "the weakest link" session hosted by Max Maven, I couldn't have laughed harder seeing an old video clip of a friend screwing up a magic trick. Having him admit that it was him on the screen was priceless.

- Oliver

Also seeing Jeff McBride do his card manipulation act and levitation effect at his Magic Open House Wednesday night was another bonus.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » January 16th, 2004, 2:41 pm

Being one of the "directors" of the WMS it isn't really fair to me to comment...

HOWEVER... I think it was the best one we've done in at least 5 or 6 years.

The Teen event was fantastic... many thanks to all that participated from around the globe. We had kids from South Africa (5) and Denmark, Alaska, CT, etc. etc.

Thanks to Lance Burton for sponsoring the event and Jeff McBride/Eugene Berger and their staff for a GREAT event.
Stay tooned.

Lisa Cousins

Postby Lisa Cousins » January 16th, 2004, 2:59 pm

Well, one highlight for me is that my gory, on-stage death will not - that's NOT - be the buzz of the magic world for the next month. :D

Yes, for those of you who missed this bizarre display of spectator endangerment, I was taken up on the stage without any prior discussion or warning, a pineapple was balanced on my head, the magician poured hot wax all over his eyeballs and wrapped his eyes in layers of gauze followed by layers of tape, covered his head with foil, and then proceeded to swing a sword at me. Fortunately, he sliced the pineapple and missed my brains, thereby thwarting my claim to magical notoriety, but allowing me to continue to enjoy my suddenly-much-more-precious life.

Tim Conover's presentation was performance-only, but he was very generous through the entire event, answering specific questions and offering tips to many of the attendees, including me. I also found Chris Korn's lecture very valuable - nice and focused, with solid things to go home and practice.

But the best part was the mingling in magical society, especially having the chance to "see the face and hear the voice" of people I'd only known as a name on the screen. There was a moment there when I was talking to David Groves and Geoff Latta, and as I glanced around I could see Bill McFadden, Brad Henderson, Tom Dobrowolski, Jon Armstrong, and Steve Bryant in plain view. It was Genii Forum in the flesh.

Bizzaro

Postby Bizzaro » January 16th, 2004, 3:45 pm

Someone told me of a 4 armed kinetic juggling act at one of the shows.. did anyone see this or wanna comment on it?
Bizzaro.
www.smappdooda.com
www.bizzarobydesign.com

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » January 16th, 2004, 4:38 pm

You know these people, Bizarro. YOu see them every year at the Ft. Worth auction.

Postby Guest » January 16th, 2004, 11:29 pm

One of the highlights for me was the Close-Up show? I thought the line up was fantastic. Everyone brought something unique and entertaining to the table. Tommy Wonder always fries me, Chris Korn with his "feet" of magic was just great, as was Alan Hayden's rings. Jon Armstrong's act was so funny I almost fell on the floor, I don't know which was better his magic or his comedy. And Armando's matrix...WOW.

Postby Guest » January 17th, 2004, 8:21 am

Thank you very much for all your comments. Can you tell me something about the stage competition and if it was something strange in the air because of Roy's accident. Have Sigfried been there ??? Thank you
Adolfo

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 17th, 2004, 8:53 am

There was nothing "strange" in the air because of Roy's accident. Siegfried came to the convention twice: the first time to watch the contest, the second time to present the award. He gave an extremely gracious and heartfelt speech.
I loathe contests, but this year's was extremely good because there was no clear winner. It's hard to imagine a contest which Yumi wouldn't win, but the lighting made it kind of hard to see what she was doing, while Mirko (who did win) gave a spot-on performance and did very well. A few of the other acts were lousy, and the rest did some interesting and innovative stuff but really weren't ready for prime time. Some guy who pretended to be a dishwasher in a kitchen won the SARMOTI award (guess what--he was from Germany. Surprise!) His act was interesting--it had a very strong anti-capitalist tone about a working-class guy who eventually becomes trapped by the gold he craves. Another interesting but greatly flawed act involved two surfers. The problem for them was technical--I could see every single steal they made and you're not going to win a contest with such poor technique.
The BEST thing at the convention is the new effect "Sphere" from Losander and Tommy Wonder. For $300 you get the most incredible floating ball you've ever seen--it is completely self contained. He sold out at the convention.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » January 17th, 2004, 9:05 am

The 4-armed Kinetic Juggling was the opening act on the first show. It was beautifully staged and excecuted. Using black art and excellent makeup, along with the music and skill, it was one of the finest examples I've seen

Too bad most missed the Teen events. These were the best ever and the crop of kids was the best ever, both on stage and at the close-up table.

The winning close up act used Dean Dill's 'EXPLOSION' and he had some touches that Dean didn't have.

:cool:
Stay tooned.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » January 17th, 2004, 9:07 am

Richard. Talked with several attendees at the Castle Friday. And, while Yumi was flawless and artistic they felt it wasn't an exciting act.

Too bad about the surfer's and their steals (I couldn't see from the back row so I didn't notice that aspect). I really thought they were the most innovative and entertaining.

And it continues... the US entry was the worst on the show... altho none were too bad, just in ranking.

All in all, it was a most enjoyable event and I can't wait 'til next year.
Stay tooned.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » January 17th, 2004, 10:14 am

For me the highlights were Yumi, Arthur Tracz, and Jon Armstrong. Yumi's act was brilliant on three levels. Technically, it was flawless. Dramatically, she solved the problem that most manipulators (particularly of the Chavez school) fall into. Here's a ball, applaud me. The ball is gone, applaud me. No, not in this hand, applaud me. Yumi used subtext beautifully to create natural applause cues and it was refreshing. Aesthetically her act was sheer beauty. It had a lovely flow and while still a manipulation act, it transcended to the level of artistry.

Similarly, I loved Arthur's act. (For the record, I am neither a manipulator, nor a huge fan of them). His theme was brilliant and the unifying element of creating that picture was a wonderful stoke of creativity. I got to know him over the convention and learned he feels it is still a work in progress. I look forward to seeing him 5 years from now.

Something needs to be done about the close up venue for WMS. Roger asked me to do a spot on the first day's show and it was like death out there. You are 20 feet from the nearest human being, it is almost pitch black dark, and there is no feeling that the crowd should be engaged. Having said this, I thought Jon Armstrong did an amazing job engaging the crowd. Not only was his material very strong, but his personality and repartee woke the room up. What I admire is how balanced his act was. Neither the comedy nor the magic overshadowed the other. It was a great blend producing a wonderfully magical, intimate close up experience, for the 400 people, 60 feet away.

As for kinetic shiva, it was a great idea. Very pretty but the hand offs were a bit stilited at times and overall I think just a touch more speed on the movements in general would produce a better effect. I think it is both a commercially and artistically sound concept and with 4 or 5 more years of work, it could be a mind blower.

Also, Wayne Dobson was very, VERY funny. But I don't think that comes as a surprise to anyone.

Other notes worth mentioning, Paul Daniels as MC of the Encore show. Man does he know what he's doing. Always "on" bit still with the presence of mind to make sure the bits of garbage on the stage were picked up before the next act. (and he quipped the best line on the Waeakest link panel)The Balloon Guy John Cassidy had all of us rolling in the aisles. Surreal.

Finally, a huge surprise for me was Quentin Reynolds. I do not do kid shows. But I went ot his lecture. BRILLIANT! This is a man who has thought about entertaining young people. He recognizes there are other styles than "Hi, I'm Mr. Goofy let's scream and yell a lot and make your parent's think you are having fun!" His magic was well thought out, and his approach to understanding the dynamics of children's magic should be considered by anyone thinking of doing a birthday party.

Finally, let's not close both eyes. Ballantine is a legend in magic. However his job as an MC left much to be desired. Like, doing the job of an MC.

Also, the Austin Powers mind reading bit on the Encore show took a charactature of a pop icon and made it even more one-dimensional while forcing it to rehash all the key jokes from a movie while breaking no new ground whatsoever while doing a drawn out mentalism routine. It was, quite simply, death on stage; torture in the audience.

Having said all of that, it was a great convention and there were some amazing moments that I would feel terrible had I missed.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » January 17th, 2004, 10:41 am

The close up venue. Unfortunately, for that many it is impossible to showcase close up, like at the Castle, etc.

You need to have that distance from the front row so they people "behind the front row" can see the table top.

We tried various layouts and in order to NOT BLOCK the view we had to move the table that distance.

So, who wins? The stand up parlour type close up guys.

Armando brought his own camera and giant plasma screen so that the table top ONLY was always on HIS screen, with the supplied bigger screen doing an overall shot.

If we had unlimited money we could build steeply inclined seating. Fewer people and have the close up workers do six or seven repeats.

We will think this out for next year.

Thanks... all of you with ideas/suggestions, etc. let us know.
Stay tooned.

Lisa Cousins

Postby Lisa Cousins » January 17th, 2004, 12:56 pm

I really liked the "Weakest Link" program - it was fun to see various magic world figures showing off their smartness. Jon Stetson was really impressive, and was the "Strongest Link" for round after round, until being unfairly voted off (politics, sheer politics ;) ), but I was also amazed by Mac King's knowledge of magic history. I have this idea that magicians fall into two camps (the entertain-people ones, and the studious-brainiac ones), and Mac totally surprised me with the breadth of his knowledge, being as authentically entertaining as he is. The final two contestants were Mac and Eugene Burger (as the Amazing Johnathan pointed out, it all came down to Burger King), and Eugene Burger emerged victorious by a mere point.

Jon Armstrong's close-up presentation was also a highlight - his magic persona is very disarming and lovable. He is also a strong and thoughtful magic conversationalist. One thought occurs to me, though. A self-effacing, dismissive tone during demonstrations of magical skill, while far more audience-friendly than pomposity, just reinforce the impression that the study of magic is a waste of time. I've never seen a virtuoso violinist perform who would dismiss their skill in this way. ("That was Mozart, folks - and as you can all see, I HAVE WAY TOO MUCH TIME ON MY HANDS!") No, musicians take pride in the time and effort it took achieve their mastery, and I think that magic deserves the same respect from its practitioners. After all, the audience takes its cue from the performer, and will accept either story (magic is a performing art with a rich history, or magic is for broody loners with nothing better to do), depending on what you tell them.

Bizzaro

Postby Bizzaro » January 17th, 2004, 2:06 pm

I got to see Armando Lucero at The Magic Castle. All I have to say is dizzamn. Matrix is not my fave and what he does is not a matrix but it IS really freekin' good.

I have spoken with Morgan (The US guy) a few times and I have heard good things from certain people but have yet to see him live aside from his demo tape. Some people just don't like Illusionist ha ha.

Wish I could have been there. Sounds like fun.
Bizzaro.

www.smappdooda.com

www.bizzarobydesign.com

Glenn Farrington

Postby Glenn Farrington » January 17th, 2004, 6:16 pm

A few of the other acts were lousy
You are entitled to your opinion but lousy is a strong word and does not hold water to the acts in question. I disagreed when you said it at the seminar, and since you are saying it publicly again, I will again add my comment.They were all good. A few really stood out but all did well as the votes showed. It all comes down to personal preference in the type of act people enjoy.
Comedy's Easy...Dying Sucks.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 17th, 2004, 6:53 pm

Sorry, Glenn, but there are always going to be some poor acts in a contest. If all the acts were good, it wouldn't be a contest: it would be a show.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Hanno
Favorite Magician: Ricky Jay, John Gaughn, David Copperfield, Norbert, Ferré,.....

Postby Hanno » January 17th, 2004, 7:48 pm

As it is a competition by invitation only, isnt it a show?

David Regal

Postby David Regal » January 18th, 2004, 11:08 am

As Armando Lucero has been mentioned, I want to add my voice to the praise. Armando creates an unbelievable sensation of magic with a plot we have all used . If that is not a profound lesson, I don't know what is.

Postby Guest » January 18th, 2004, 11:17 am

The winner of the teen closeup contest was 16-year-old Nathan Gibson, who in the past year has performed several times at my Los Angeles magic venue, Magic in the 'Burbs.

When Magic in the 'Burbs premieres at its beautiful new location in Arcadia on February 5, Nathan will be performing his award-winning closeup show. Jeff Ezell, myself, and another magician yet to be announced will entertain in the cabaret segment of the show.

Nathan is a smart young guy in the Moreno Valley who loves magic and has been mentored by Martin Lewis. He's also a member of the Castle juniors.

For more information on the shows at Magic in the 'Burbs, email me at mysterious@compuserve.com or shakkespeare@aol.com.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » January 18th, 2004, 1:27 pm

Lest my post be confused, though I pointed out two small disappointments, I thought the WMS was one of the best conventions I have ever attended and I am sure we will never understand the amount of work required to pull it off.

To Lisa's point re:self efficacy. I see your point, however I think in Jon's case we are presented with a clear sense of irony. By dismissing what he does, when it is clear it is so impressive, it only creates greater impact in the audience mind.

To borrow and analogy from Steve Cohen, if I claim to be a religious miracle worker and present a stunt telling you it is from powers above, many will rebuke me, doubt me, or try to disprove me. But if I tell you that I don't know how I do it, or even claim that I'm not doing anything, people will rally around me as supporters.

I think Jon has made a wise performace choice.

Postby Guest » January 18th, 2004, 2:11 pm

Originally posted by Brad Henderson:
To Lisa's point re:self efficacy. I see your point, however I think in Jon's case we are presented with a clear sense of irony. By dismissing what he does, when it is clear it is so impressive, it only creates greater impact in the audience mind.

To borrow and analogy from Steve Cohen, if I claim to be a religious miracle worker and present a stunt telling you it is from powers above, many will rebuke me, doubt me, or try to disprove me. But if I tell you that I don't know how I do it, or even claim that I'm not doing anything, people will rally around me as supporters.

I think Jon has made a wise performace choice.
I've seen Jon's show a number of times in the past--including 3 or more times at my Magic in the 'Burbs venue--and it is, in my opinion, a perfect show.

The self-effacing manner is done in service of a character, which I believe makes it more defensible.

Of course, self-effacement is seen differently by different people, and to some (mainly men, I would think, although Lisa doesn't fall into that category, obviously), it may seem a blemish, while others (primarily women, I would think) may see it as a positive attribute.

Lisa Cousins

Postby Lisa Cousins » January 18th, 2004, 2:25 pm

What I should have done was made a separate thread on that thought and not attached it to a discussion of Jon's performance, which I really enjoyed. It was not intended as a specific criticism of Jon, but as food for thought which was provoked by his approach.

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » January 18th, 2004, 5:24 pm

Lisa, you shouldn't have been surprised to see Mac King do well on magical history. As you should know from the January 2002 issue of Genii, Mac is a former National Merit Scholar with degrees in both cultural anthropology AND magic. He and Eugene were ringers.

Robert Kane

Postby Robert Kane » January 18th, 2004, 10:31 pm

I have to say that I loved the positive energy in force at this convention both among attendees, performers and dealers.

Compliments to Glenn Farrington, Rich Bloch, Joe Stevens, Pete Biro et al for putting on one heck of a good time for all. Everyone I spoke with was having a super time.

I also enjoyed meeting many of you and finally putting names with faces.

As a worker in the Dealer Room, here is what I found personally memorable (in no particular order):

Wayne Dobson's killer material and devilish wit;

Dean Dill's outrageously cool matrix work and his beautifully manufactured expanded shells;

Losander's Floating Table continues to blow my mind...truly magical;

Joe Porper's Cups and his beautiful Linking Ring sets...Joe's workmanship is second to none;

Steve Bryant showing me examples of Ian Rowlands Card ReFlexionsthey were like little mini sculpturesreally exquisite;

Collectors Workshop/Viking's Supreme Ball & Vase...high-quality craftsmanship and very usable apparatustruly nice people too;

Thomas Wayne's Coffee Mug Chop Cup...a Chop Cup that does not look like a Chop Cup (whatever that is)...now that's a good idea;

Larry Becker & Lee Earle's fine products for mentalists and magicians...great marketing display and they were both excellent demonstrators. Superb positive energy and joy. Do yourself a favor and check out their items;

Carl Ballantine signing autographs and smoking endless cigars;

Lynetta Welch's table was always busy...Lynetta now produces a wider variety of hand-made, top quality Egg Bags including the Classic Malini and Tarbell Egg Bags;

Paul Daniels rapier wit and genuine friendlinessa true pro.plus so many good comments about his Master Class;

Andy Greget's books are always fun to look at and buy...thank you Andy for bringing so many for us to choose from;

R. Paul Wilsons very commercial take on Peter Kanes Gypsys Curse;

Auke Dokkum's (sp?) Cups...his mini-cups are awesome and can cover a golf ball...most mini-cups can't...very cool;

Conleys House of Magictheir items based on and expanding upon the lowly Hot Rod were really neat;

Dominico Dante's Sword Thru Neck...a classic effect made real with a sword and scabbard that look so beautifully real;

El Duco's micro magic...I am starting to collect this stuff because it is so funky;

Ty Reveen's Confetti/Streamer Blower which would hurl Flutterfetti and thin paper streamer's across the entire Dealer Room in spectacular fashion. Ty was there demonstrating this professional system from beginning to end...a truly spectacular stage effect which took a lot of notice from many of the professional stage magicians from Asia;

Owen Magic Supreme's separate display room...I found myself drooling there quite often...it was like a room of treasures;

Mark Mason displayed some very magical close up items...plus he is a very nice person...check out his version of Card to Wallet;

Richard Kaufmam hanging out at his table selling magazines and subscriptions...it was always a nice place to hang out when I took a break and invariably there was a magic luminary nearby talking shop with Richard;

Nick Ruggerio's wonderful magic apparatus...Nick's items are really the Tiffany's of Magic;

Joe Stevens is a very good magic demonstrator...His approach is simple, but very effective. I was happily amazed to see how well he entertained many attendees and their guests with his excellent magic products;

UGM of Japans wonderful and colorful magic itemstheir Floating Cane was a thing of beauty to behold;

Frankly, I could go on and on about all of the wonderful dealers, their fine wares and about what nice people they were, but I would bore you to tears. Sorry if I have bored you already.

The whole convention was just one big party and I barely got out of the Dealers Room. What an awesome convention!! So much to see and so much fun to have. Don't miss it next year! :)

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » January 19th, 2004, 2:17 pm

The convention was terrific fun, and that Armando guy is all he was promised to be ... dammit. I sat through the close-up show twice. What fun it must be to fool guys with a trick they've been doing since puberty. Additional favorite moments are listed at Little Egypt Magic , along with a few photos.

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » January 19th, 2004, 11:45 pm

On the last night of the Seminar, Jason Dean (I hope I got the name right) floored those of us (including Billy McComb, whose reaction was priceless) around the Spalsh bar with his card effect: selected and signed card is found implaed on Jason's pierced nipple.

Another memorable highlight was the discussion over dinner concerning the title of an upcoming publication. It proved that magicians have the amazing ability to revel in the misfortunes of others. Don't ask: you had to be there.

What a fun few days.

Dave Cox

Postby Dave Cox » January 20th, 2004, 2:00 am

I've been in magic a long time, and some very kind folks call me a genius. But, this year at the WMS, a lot of people just HURT me. And, a lot of people delighted me. Here are some random highlights.

Karl Hein - How the? With the shuffling and the mixing and then the perfect order and the "What the hell is this in my hand!?!?" Just mind boggling. And a hell of a nice guy.

Jon Armstrong - You clever bastard. Disarming with the "Oh, I don't seem to have any control over what these cards are doing in my hands and oops I dropped some but here's your freaking phone number!" It just doesn't get much better than Jon Armstrong on a roll with a willing (or even an unwilling) audience member. Just think about this - he killed having to follow Tommy Wonder. TOMMY WONDER! (about whom, I also say WOW!) Hunt down a copy of his lecture notes and try to be more like him. Now.

John Cassidy - Ouch! My Sides. My guts! My face hurting from the smiling and the laughing and the subtle twisted humor to go along with the subtle twisted balloons. And, he has to have the swellest wife in magic. Except, of course, for yours, guy whose wife is reading this over his shoulder. Except for yours.

Francis Menotti - Does Nothing better than I've ever seen anybody do Nothing. And the words he weaves around his incredibly strong magic make it all the more miraculous. He puts as much thought into why he's doing the bizarre things he's doing as he does into how he does them. And he does them so very well.

James Dimarre. Certainly has an amazing bird act. Just flawless. An amazing bird act. Yes he does.

Jen Adams - from San Diego absolutely does the best Le Paul spread I've ever seen, and she spent more time than she should have helping me to do a sad little Le Paul floppy thing that may someday grow into a spread. She just plain rocks.

Brad Henderson - Is a very smart man. And even though he keeps telling you that close up magic, and especially cards, are "not really his thing," he will hurt you. I think it may all be a clever plot. And it may involve trickery of some sort.

Gregory Wilson - Can pick up anything and do 5 minutes with it. And they'll all be good. What the heck is up with that? If it can be held in your hand, Greg has a clever clever 5 phase routine with it. What a swell guy.

Arthur Tracz - What a classy, sweet jazzy act. I loved his stage act - so well thought out, and uniquely constructed - but, later, at the Peppermill, he just killed me with a deck of cards.

Paul Wilson - Has put out some great stuff. If you haven't seen his Predator Wallet, take the money out of your far inferior wallet and go get one. But, the stuff that he's "Thinking about putting out soon, you know?" will just knock you on your ass.

Thomas Wayne and Joe Porper - These guys just hurt me with the quality of the stuff they manufacture. Every piece is just gorgeous. Love and talent and an enormously complex machine shop goes into everything they put out. I can't recommend any of their stuff too strongly, but, do yourself a favor and go get a Wayne Chop Cup and a Porper Card Clip as soon as your Predator Wallet gets a few bucks back into it. Which, by the way, is also made by Joe.

Nick Rugerio - Just makes you drool. The stuff that you read about and saw illustrated in those rare tipped in color plates in those great smelling old magic books with honest to god gold leaf on the covers, somehow manage to find their way out of Nick's workshop. And, as beautiful as they are on the outside, wait until he turns them around and shows you what they look like from the back, in their secret, tender places. Man.

Ty Raveen - What a great guy. I've added confetti and streamers to my act, not just because they're so incredibly and unbelievably cool, but because it means I'm in business with Ty, who's far cooler.

I got to bed no earlier than 5 each day, and gambled not at all. I'm running out of time to mention Adam Grace and Andrew Goldenhersh and Aye Jaye and Lynetta Welch and Nathan Krenzo and Rich Bloch and Diana Zimmerman and The Amazing Johnathan and Penny Wiggins and the gracious and brilliant Paul Daniels and the gracious and hilarious Billy McComb and the and the wonderfully spooky Rob Zabrecky and all the other wonderful people who made the WMS such a great time this year. And I know I'm forgetting at least a half dozen other great folks whose names I will add when they write me and shame me for leaving them out in my exhausted stupor.

For great shows and great lectures, for magic in the halls, for drinks at the Splash bars, for more magic around the slot machines, for late night dinner and many more drinks at the Peppermill, for great Korean Barbecue, for pimping me out to narrate your new card things, for tempting me with your shiny new toys, for talking about what it all means, and sharing what it means to you, for this and much more I thank you, my brothers and sisters. And I will see you next year.

MaxNY
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

Postby MaxNY » January 20th, 2004, 4:45 am

John Cassidy is so great, he's even been on Martha Stewart!
More on Arthur Tracz please, where is he from?

Bill McFadden

Postby Bill McFadden » January 20th, 2004, 4:19 pm

Arthur Tracz is from Chicago. One of the hippest stage acts I've ever had the pleasure to witness. I very much enjoyed getting to know him thanks to another thinking person's magician, Francis Menotti (of whom I am a big fan).

The "WOW" factor characterizes this year's WMS for me. Many others have summarized the talent, the fun, and the overall positive vibe of the whole convention - particularly Steve Bryant's concise summary posted here, and on "Little Egypt." Besides Arthur's "Postmodern Art," I really dug Chris Korn, Armando's matrix, Malone's Monday session (wish I had booked both days), the exquisite artistry of Tommy Wonder, those cute little Yamagami Brothers, and the courageous wit of Wayne Dobson. Inspirations all. Jon Armstrong's soft touch with the cards was a perfect compliment to his charm and demeanor with the speckies. And how about that Scott and Jenny Alexander? Not only do they perform as "a couple" (with passion and sensuality - NOT as the magician and his lovely assistant), but their classic presentation of Metamorphosis has to be the definitive one - the way it was intended to be performed.

Perhaps of even more value was the sidebar camaraderie which has become a WMS hallmark. Visiting with mentors Eugene Burger and Jamy Swiss; schmoozing with my Baltimore/DC homeys, Howie Schwarzman, Denny, Richard Kaufman, Tom Moran, Jason Moffett, Larry Davidson, Bob & Mimi Kohler, Bruce Starr, and Ken Caplan; spending time with additional thinking person's magicians - Seth Kramer, Paul Wilson, Pete Studebaker, Bill & Barb Malone, Roger Klause, Nate Kranzo, and my two new best friends: Lisa Cousins and Brad Henderson. Thanks to each of you for a fabulous week! All this and Tim Conover and Geoff Latta, too!

Hail, hail Glenn Farrington, Rich Bloch, Peat Biro, and the entire WMS gang for a convention against which many others will be evaluated for years to come.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » January 20th, 2004, 5:27 pm

Many thanks. As some of you have so correctly noted... "it is who you meet and hang with that makes a convention" and the WMS "IS" that kind of event... all the KOOLEST of the KOOL were there.

Now if I could just get some sleep. :eek:
Stay tooned.

Lisa Cousins

Postby Lisa Cousins » January 21st, 2004, 9:50 am

I was wondering when my new best friend Bill McFadden was going to chime in here. It seems that every event I attend features a phenomenon which I call "the recurring attendee" - a person I run into again and again and again - and this time that recurring attendee was Bill McFadden. Before a lecture, after a show, strolling down a random hallway, grabbing a cup of coffee - it didn't matter, Bill McFadden was there. This is all the more surprising when I review these posts and see that there were people in attendance I never ran into at all.

I also wanted to add, as I don't think it's been mentioned, that Jay Marshall won a slots jackpot while we were there - but this was early in the event, and I assume he gave all the money back in due course.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » January 21st, 2004, 10:09 am

A few years back Jay hit for $10,000 on a slot. The IRS was on him in a flash... the good news he was able to come back to Las Vegas and declare as losses any travel and losses for the rest of the year... I think he came out even, but did get several trips and lots of fun out of it. :cool:
Stay tooned.

Bill McFadden

Postby Bill McFadden » January 21st, 2004, 12:31 pm

Geez, Lisa, they're gonna think I was stalking you! :eek:

Bill "recurring attendee" McFadden

magicking
Favorite Magician: Tommy Wonder

Postby magicking » January 21st, 2004, 6:58 pm

I wasn't even there but the highlight for me was that Lisa whom I have never met got an autograph of my favorite magician Tommy Wonder for me.
I just wanted to thank her and let everyone know what a nice person she is...I'm sure everyone alread knew this.
Michael King
All Things Are Possible If You Believe!

Return to “Buzz”