Jerry Andrus Terminally Ill

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Jerry Andrus Terminally Ill

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 4th, 2007, 12:26 pm

With Jerry Andrus's permission we are passing along the following sad news: he has terminal prostate cancer that has metasticized to his bones.

If you want to post your good wishes and words of support here, we'll make sure he gets them.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Re: Jerry Andrus Terminally Ill

Postby Guest » March 4th, 2007, 3:15 pm

I saw Mr Andrus work the close up gallery at the Castle but a few months ago. It was amazingly good. I was fooled so many times. I feel lucky now to have seen him work so recently.

Seems such a waste, but the contributions he leaves behind are vast.

I hope the time left is made as painless as possible.

Postby Guest » March 4th, 2007, 3:35 pm

I'm a huge fan of Jerry Andrus's work and have just about worn out his tapes watching them. He's a one of a kind thinker whose contributions will continue to influence creators and astound audiences. I'm especially fond of Zone Zero -- what a truly impossible looking effect in his very skilled hands. I'll be praying for you, sir. God bless.

Postby Guest » March 4th, 2007, 4:06 pm

Jerry -

Your flights of imagination and understanding of humanity are forever an inspiration.

David

John LeBlanc

Postby John LeBlanc » March 4th, 2007, 4:45 pm

"Card Control" was -- and still is -- a wonderful part of my library. But I think the first memory I keep close by is "the box" on the cover of Genii Magazine years ago. (I purchased an extra copy years later because I put the first one on the wall.) It led me to an endless number of visions that, even knowing how some of them are constructed, still throw my brain into "Tilt!". Thank you, Jerry.

John

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » March 4th, 2007, 5:22 pm

In the late 60s, the Magic Castle was a wonderfully friendly place. (It still is, though the cast has changed considerably.) I was young, my guests were young, and a very nice Jerry Andrus spotted us one evening and asked if we would like to see some magic. He took us to one of the unoccupied tables in the dining area (it was well past the dinner hour) and gave us a private show of his marvelous original creations. It's still one of my favorite Castle memories.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » March 4th, 2007, 5:43 pm

Mr. Andrus,

Ill always remember the many late night sessions you hosted doing card tricks and sharing your optical illusions. You always seemed to have more energy than most of the people half or even one quarter your age! Your enthusiasm for your interests is infectious.

Ill particularly remember a banquet at the old Sacramento A-1 convention where I shared a table with you and your friend Ray Hyman. The conversation, which featured many subjects, was fascinating.

And Ill always remember your kindness when, about 30 years ago, a friend of mine and I had to split the cost of your wonderful two-volume book Card Control. You said youd sell it to us if we promised never to Xerox them. We never did, and you taught two teenagers something about integrity that remains with the both of us to this day. (For the record, the books are in my library since my friend lost interest in magic.)

With warmest regards,
Dustin Stinett

Larry Horowitz

Postby Larry Horowitz » March 4th, 2007, 7:02 pm

Jerry,

Over and above the time we have spent at the Castle. I will always remember the 5 hours we spent on the plane to Miami. It was a privilege to learn from you. It is something I have always bragged about.

Your influence on the world has been noted and will be remembered. Take care of yourself.

Sincerely,
Larry Horowitz

Postby Guest » March 4th, 2007, 7:28 pm

I love Jerry Andrus. I love that he still performs every chance he gets. I love that he is so innovative and could care less about what every other magician is doing. And I love his sharing nature.

The last time I worked the Castle, Mr. Andrus worked the week before me, so I made it a point to see his show. He is a unique performer with many interesting effects. After his show he sat with me for quite awhile and produced several of his puzzles and effects from his wallet to amuse me with. He never hesitated to answer any question and it was obvious that he was a fountain of knowledge.

I still go back and watch his DVDs from time to time and marvel at his genius.

My prayers are with you Mr. Andrus. Your magic and charisma has left an indelible mark on me, as well as the rest of the magic community.

Sincerely,
Diamond Jim Tyler

Rick Maue

Postby Rick Maue » March 4th, 2007, 9:00 pm

Greetings,

I have had the very good fortune to spend some time with Jerry Andrus at The Amazing Meetings. Obviously, I had known about him for many years, and it would certainly be an understatement to say that meeting him for the first time was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. And after that, the experience simply got better and better each and every time.

Jerry, I have never met anyone like you, and I just want to say thanks for brightening my world by letting me have a small glimpse of yours. Take care my friend.

Keep the change,
Rick Maue

Kenardo

Postby Kenardo » March 4th, 2007, 9:21 pm

Hi Jerry,

We have met several times over the decades. You may remember me as a food scientist.

The first time, in the late 70's or early 80's, we had dinner together at a Tannen Jubilee. Another time we talked at the Magic Castle. And the last time at the IBM Convention in Orlando several years ago.

I was always amazed with your magic, the way you think, your warmth, friendliness, and integrity. Sharing your company was always a magical experience I will never forget.

My prayers are with you.

Magically,

Ken Schwabe

Postby Guest » March 4th, 2007, 11:22 pm

Jerry,

I am so glad to know you. To see you perform, to be utterly and wonderfully amazed by what you can do, to talk with you about magic, to study and practice your methods, to be inspired by the joyful creativity you practice every day. I and many, many other magicians will never forget these moments.

Thanks, my friend. Thanks for everything.

Pete McCabe

Postby Guest » March 4th, 2007, 11:41 pm

Jerry:

I remember your lecture in Houston many years ago. You showed us some wonderful card work and some other excellent material, as well.

However, the thing I remember best were some of the practical jokes you told us about.

One of these days, I'm going to get a battery pack for one of my schnauzers. And I promise I'll do the chainsaw gag somewhere.

Bill

Postby Guest » March 5th, 2007, 5:08 am

Mr. Andrus:

I remember the first time I met you at the Orlando IBM convention in 2001. I stopped you to ask a question about your color change and you gave me an indepth tutorial.

A few years later, you visited Atlanta for one of the Gatherings for Gardner. Dan Garrett and I met you for lunch and we spent a great afternoon talking about magic and often debating our philosophical points of view.

I just wanted to tell you again how both your work and your attitude have challenged and inspired me. Thank you for your kindness, honesty, respect, creativity, ingenuity, gentility -- and most of all, for your amazing magic.

Fondly,
Joe M. Turner

Postby Guest » March 5th, 2007, 7:33 am

Mr. Andrus,

We met once at the Castle and once at the MacMillan convention.
We've spend quite some GREAT time together. It was really great to share some magic with you.

I remember some great time in your Hotel Room next to the MagicCastle with Armando Lucero, Whit Hayden, Sylvester the Jester and myself.

Thank you for your great imagination, your wonderful creativity, incredible originality, And thanks for the poems!

I wish you all the very best and a lot of strength!

A very BIG FAN from Belgium,

Jacky

Postby Guest » March 5th, 2007, 8:08 am

Mr. Andrus,

Nearly 30 years ago (or maybe a little more) I was a boy watching television in central Indiana when a story came on, I believe, the PBS station about a man who made optical illusions come true. I remember vividly the impossible box and my excitement as the camera panned and showed the actual contruction. This was followed by the same man making a red spot on a piece of paper transform into a ball when the paper was rolled into a cone. That experience was so magical that I can remember it to this day. I connected the dots about 20 years later and realized that man was you.

Thank you for a performance that personified magic for a young boy.

Eric Rose

Postby Guest » March 5th, 2007, 9:04 am

Mr. Andrus
I attended a lecture of yours a few years back at Midwest Magic. I don't go to many lectures but yours was one I did not want to miss. Your magic to me is so very visual, like real magic. I was not dissapointed, it was a very enjoyable lecture.
Rest a sure your magic will live on for a long time, for it is unique. May your days left be fruitful and your passing painless. Thanks

Postby Guest » March 5th, 2007, 9:09 am

Dear Mr. Andrus,

We have never met, but anyway I wish you the best in this life and the next. And please keep creating that wonderful magic that you are known for (of course illness permitting).

I wish I had enough money to go and meet you and learn a little from you. Here in Mexico we don't have easy access to much literature or effects from all the greats, including you, so we just have to try and find whatever means to go to conventions and get magical effects there.

Again thanks for everything and may God be with you! :)

With a tear of sadness in my left eye and 10 of JOY to celebrate your life,

luigimar

[Edited for spelling only:DS]

Danny Archer

Postby Danny Archer » March 5th, 2007, 10:14 am

Hey Jerry,

You have been a profound influence on the Art of Magic and its students ...

You walked a different path than most and it showed in your effects and creations ...

We only met a few times but I will never forget the passion you showed for magic ...

You contributions will live on in the hearts and minds of the students of Magic ...

Peace,

Danny Archer
Producer of MINDvention
mentalism convention

Postby Guest » March 5th, 2007, 10:15 am

jerry,
so sorry to hear of your trouble.

I've been an Andrus fan for years. You are one of the most thouroughly original magicians I have ever met. I've done several versions of your miser's miracle, your card work and especially zone zero, which has been in my stage show since you showed it to me 15 years ago.

You are an inspiration to all of us. I really treasure our time together. Thank you for your magic, your wit and for being one of the most interesting guys I have ever met. Your legacy in magic is assured.

you have my gratitude and best wishes. God speed, my friend.

carney

Postby Guest » March 5th, 2007, 10:34 am

I clearly remember the delight I experienced when I first saw and then bought the Linking Pins - real, visible Magic that could be mastered by a kid. Simple, yet powerfully effective. Ive done it for decades in my professional close-up.

Jerry, you are an original in the truest sense of the word, an artist who followed his own muse and produced some profound insights into magic and optical illusions. We are all the better for your generosity in sharing your work with all of us. Your legacy will endure.

Thank you, Jerry.

David Alexander

r paul wilson

Postby r paul wilson » March 5th, 2007, 12:37 pm

I didtinctly remember meeting Jerry for the first time in Sacramento at my first A1 Convention.

I asked him to show me the work from his books and I was treated to a personal journey through all the moves I had spent hours learning in a coffee shop in Edinburgh.

Few magicians have contributed so many wonderful ideas. The variety of his contributions is staggering.

Jerry, I'm deeply saddened by this news. The last time I watched you work was in Spain a few years ago. I sat up and played with your optical illusions with all the other guys and I watched you do your colour change over and over.

Visiting your home is still a cherished memory. From the treadmill computer, and the Andrus Organ Keyboard to the big white clouds that boiled on your wall, every minute is burned into my brain.

One lesson I'll always remember - if something doesn't work the way I want to, I can always rebuild the whole thing.

P.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 5th, 2007, 5:46 pm

Jamy Swiss and I have been trying to figure out if we both saw Jerry Andrus for the first time at the same IBM lecture in New York in about 1974. He had a profound influence on my life, since he was the first person I encountered who wrote, illustrated, laid out, and published all of his own books. That was a role model I was to follow for many years--but Jerry went one step better, because he often printed his books himself.

But the story I'll tell here is a remarkable one because it epitomizes Jerry's honesty and his belief in the honesty of his fellow men. Others will have seen this same scenario: after his lecture, a boy (or young man) comes up to him and wants to buy his two-volume set "Andrus Card Controls." But, it costs more than the boy has. Here's what Jerry says: "Pay me what you can now and take the books. Send me the rest later on when you have it." Here was a lesson in humanity that I've remembered for over three decades, and which has inspired me to give away more than a few books and copies of Genii.

Jerry is an aetheist--he'll be the first to tell you so if the subject comes up. So my good wishes will consist of this thought: he has affected many of us in an almost universally positive way. Few can make that claim--and Jerry never would--but I'll make it for him.

Postby Guest » March 5th, 2007, 6:25 pm

Hi Jerry,

You visited the NYC Saturday afternoon gathering around 1980 and made the day for me.

You were mentioned earlier that day at Tannen's magic shop as someone of character.

I was also struck by how you realized your own vision of magical style and methods.

Thanks for visiting that day and for setting a good example. We don't get too many of those.

Best wishes,

Jonathan

Postby Guest » March 5th, 2007, 7:27 pm

My testimony regarding Jerry is here .

But Id like to add a few more details.

In his earlier years, my father was an accomplished pianist, and, I am told, could hold his own with most other piano players, pro or amateur. He was also an engineer by profession. He absolutely delighted in playing Jerrys organ with its clever added features, and admired Jerrys creativity and use of scientific principles. More importantly, my dad was thoroughly impressed with Jerry Andrus the man.

In the thread linked to above, I simply mentioned that Jerry gave me some lessons that afternoon after I purchased the Misers Miracle, the Linking Safety Pins, and the instruction books. But I didnt tell how patient Jerry was and how much I felt that Jerry cared that I got it right. While it was clear that Jerry wanted to see his effects performed properly, he tempered that with the realization that most people (let alone 11 year olds) arent going to get sleight of hand effects perfected in an hour or two. The point is twofold: first, he deeply cared about his young pupil, and second, he somehow managed, in a short period of time, to instill in a kid the strong desire to reach excellence with these tricks. Instead of learning the secret and the rudiments of performance, and then performing poorly for an audience, with Jerrys effects I felt an intense duty to learn how to perform them properly before I would ever perform them publicly. It boiled down to this: I wanted to make Jerry proud and honor his creations.

How Jerry pulled that off with me, I dont know I was just a kid, and you know how kids are with newly learned magic tricks. I think I practiced these effects for several months before debuting them for friends and family! How Jerry accomplished that little feat isnt so important as the fact that he could do it, and I think thats one more rare element of Jerrys unique personality to be celebrated and appreciated.

Clay

Here\'s Clay\'s photo of Jerry Andrus and him. [Edited to add photo link: DS]

Ruben Padilla

Postby Ruben Padilla » March 5th, 2007, 7:58 pm

Hi, Jerry

Like R. Paul Wilson, I also met you for the first time at the same A-1 convention, and what I remember most about you was your gentleness. Whenever somebody came up to you to ask you a question, no matter what time it was, or where you were headed, and no matter how tired you were (and sometimes you appeared to be very tired), you always politely answered every question and fullfilled every request to perform a trick.

In addition, you never cut corners on the presentation or patter. You always gave the whole "meal", and supplemented the magic with thoughtful insight and stimulating questions to ponder. You respected the intelligence of your audience, and that's about as noble a quality as we can hope for in an entertainer.

You are a kind person, a creative genius, a polite soul, and a lasting inspiration. Above all, you are a gentle man. A gentleman. Compared to this, the magic is secondary.

Thank you, sir.

Ruben Padilla
Visit www.MagiciansOnly.com for exclusive book, trick, DVD, & convention reviews!

Gordon Bean

Postby Gordon Bean » March 5th, 2007, 9:22 pm

Jerry, you've always brightened any room you walk into. You've influenced so many of us to be more original, more honest, and more energetic than we would be otherwise. As one of our most honored uncles, you've made sure we kept the questioning nature of a child, and have always been a big help in making magic seem like a family. When you're around, life is just more fun.

Postby Guest » March 6th, 2007, 7:12 am

Dear Jerry,

You are one of my heroes in magic! I think you, more than anyone, helped me to think 'outside the box' when it comes to magic, inventions or even storytelling. As a young man attending my first FISM conventions in Lausanne, Switzerland, I enjoyed the attention you paid me and the meals at McDonalds we spent together! I was honored to sit beside you as you performed for the attending Italian contingient, giving me a backstage view of your work. Wow!! What a treat!

I'm sorry that I haven't seen you since those days, but the memories are vivid and bring a smile to my face. I can only hope to have the same effect on the people I meet on my journey! Thank you so much Jerry! You're one of the greats!

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » March 6th, 2007, 7:31 am

I was so looking forward to going to the International Convention a couple of years ago, because I knew that Jerry was going to be there. When other commitments meant that I couldn't go I was bitterly disappointed, and had to console my self with yet another run through of his books and DVDs.

Jerry is, as others have said, a huge inspiration and now it seems that I get to be jealous of those that got to spend time with him.

Jerry is a man about whom I have never heard a bad thing, and I am sure that everyone knows why. The closest thing to a priceless moment I have came a few weeks ago. A friend and I were watching a Ray Kosby video, and when Ray purports to be reading a spectator's mind Jerry walks on set and gently admonishes him for lying. It was a beautifully surreal moment in the midst of some knuckle busting moves and I still smile when I think about it now.

If I have one tenth of the life of Jerry I'll be more than happy.

Take care, Ian

Postby Guest » March 6th, 2007, 8:48 am

Jerry Andrus and John Carney were the first two magicians I saw in the magic castle. I was new to magic but I thought I knew a lot, how to control cards, etc.

Watching Jerry Andrus perform, I had no clue how any of the effects worked !! There was not even a suspicion, a hint. This is how magic should truly look like. I watched him several times after this and love watching his videos. It gave me something to strive for and still does.

Vijay

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » March 6th, 2007, 7:59 pm

I have added a link to Clay's photo of him and Jerry Andrus in Clay's post above (as well as in the post Clay links to).

Dustin

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 6th, 2007, 8:27 pm

My happiest memory in my extremely brief career as a video producer and director was the set of three tapes I did with Jerry Andrus. Though he was twice the age of the rest of us, he worked twice as hard. I actually worried about working him too hard because the shoots lasted for over 10 hours a day--but he just kept doing his moves and magic over and over as we shot from many different angles to make sure we got it all right.

Bill Wells

Postby Bill Wells » March 7th, 2007, 7:32 am

Jerry -

I still have fond memories of your visit in the '70s, putting safety pin packets together in my apartment, and Scotty and I going with you on your lectures here and further north. I also remember learning that Edmund Scientific was Jerry Andrus's personal store of goodies. Your principles and creativity have remained an inspiration to me over the years as they have to so many in magic.

Thank you Jerry for all that you shared with us and know that we are all pulling for you!

Bill
Bill Wells

Postby Guest » March 7th, 2007, 8:23 am

Jerry, our paths crossed but once ... lessons learned, inestimable! Thank you.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » March 8th, 2007, 7:43 am

Jerry: Your totally original influences in magic will live forever. As will your memory. We go a long way back and every time we were together you continued to amaze and delight.

Hang in there... much love... pb :genii:
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » March 8th, 2007, 8:46 pm

At the end of that first Jerry Andrus lecture I attended, he offered to demonstrate several card items that he would not be explaining, but that were available in his manuscript, Andrus Card Control. I will never forget how repeatedly and thoroughly fooled I was. I will never forget him standing on the edge of a low platform stage, leaning forward, and performing that extraordinary color change -- and how utterly unfathomable it was.

I have had the pleasure and privilege of spending a great deal of time over many years with the one and only Jerry Andrus. I remember late night talks at magic conventions. I remember late nights here in New York City as well, with Geoff Latta and I almost falling asleep in our breakfasts after an all-nighter with Jerry, while he was ready to go forward and face a busy day in the city as Geoff and I were dragging ourselves home to sleep.

I've visited with Jerry countless times over the years at various "skeptics" gatherings, including James Randi's annual The Amazing Meeting, where I just saw Jerry mere weeks ago (and was also interviewed for a well-deserved documentary about him that is currently in the works).

Many, many years ago, long before he published it, he was kind enough to teach me his trick, "Acupressure," which I used every night as a Magic Bartender in 1985 and 1986 at the Inn of Magic in Maryland. The prop remains a staple presence in my closeup case, and I performed it as part of a commercial "bumper" on my first appearance on The Today Show.

This brief rememberance barely scratches the surface of the countless provocative and fascinating and fun times I've had with Jerry over the years. He is not only a valued teacher, colleague, and friend, but is a unique and cherished human resource: On a planet of six billion human beings, I assure you there is not another one who could ever be mistaken for the marvelous mind and man that is Jerry Andrus.

My thanks for your friendship, Jerry. My thoughts are with you.

Postby Guest » March 9th, 2007, 11:11 am

Jamy's reminiscence reminds me of a bit I have used with great success. Start by taking a ping-pong ball and cutting it away half, leaving a billiard-ball-style shell. Take this shell and gently squeeze it over another ping-pong ball. These will now stay together quite reliably.

Do Jerry's Accupressure to produce the ball. Toss it in the air, even -- the shell will not separate. Now you can go into a standard multiplying billiard ball phase, giving you an (apparent) production of two ping-pong balls from your bare hands.

Just another thing Jerry has inspired in me.

George Olson

Postby George Olson » March 17th, 2007, 11:56 am

I will deliver your good wishes to Jerry tomorrow at his home during another Celebration of his contributions to our world. Some folks have engineered a special event in his honor in his home-town of Albany, OR, complete with a Mayoral Proclamation for him.

Thank you all so much for sharing your thoughts about this Great Human Being!

GO

Here is a website devoted to Jerry:

www.simplysharing.com/jerryandrus.htm

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » March 17th, 2007, 12:52 pm

Jerry stayed with me for three days when I was still living in Toronto. He was there to make a pitch for an optical illusion exhibit at one of the museums. I accompanied Jerry to this meeting and it was memorable.

There were a few stuffy academics and about eight other employees. Within minutes, Jerry had the room in a commotion of optical illusions and magic. The academics were stunned -- here were things they just couldn't explain and had never seen before. It was a fabulous performance by Jerry.

Jerry also gave me permission to use one of his illusions in a horror movie I was producing. I made sure he got paid, but I suspect he wasn't expecting a payment.

For one of the Ibidem events, I was shepharding Jerry through Canadian immigration and he made a large ball bearing appear in his hands -- the immigration officer was more than happy to let us right through.

I know how energetic Jerry was when I first got to know him -- I can't imagine what he must have been like as a younger man. He is amazing in all the meanings of that word.

David Moore

Postby David Moore » March 17th, 2007, 1:18 pm

Years ago, I was fortunate to join Jerry and some others for breakfast one night after closing the Castle. Not only did he enthrall us with fooler after fooler, he had the entire wait staff jumping up and down and applauding.

But, the thing I remember that he tipped that night, that I use to this day? The real work on getting ketchup out of the bottle.

Return to “Buzz”