Darwin Ortiz's new card book

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Cugel

Darwin Ortiz's new card book

Postby Cugel » April 11th, 2002, 1:42 am

For those of you who are fans of truly exquisite, elegant and commercial card magic, the drought has broken. I just finished work proofreading/editing the text (along with Dave Malek, Jason England and Bill Taylor) of Darwin Ortiz's new book, "Scams & Fantasies with Cards" and I can tell you that it is outstanding.

The book features some knock-out work with memorised decks ("The Zen master" and others) amazing gambling routines including a phenomenal version of the Michael Zen's poker deal and one of the most impressive 100% impromptu gambling routines ever to see print, "The Professional", plus some killer magical effects including Darwin's presentation of the Fred Kaps handling of Gypsy Curse ("Beat the Devil") his knock out versions of the Travellers, Oil & Water and 25 other brilliant routines.

By the way, Darwin has a great deal until the end of April. If you order from him before the end of the month the price is $35 post paid delivered - that's a saving of $10. Overseas orders add $10 for postage (and you KNOW that's a great deal).

If you're interested, email me for details at: awimhurst@effect.net.au

Andrew

Re: Darwin Ortiz's new card book

Postby Guest » April 11th, 2002, 7:11 am

I can't believe he is giving away the Zen Master. That is one of the strongest effects I have ever seen performed.

You are 100% correct, the material is outstanding. Plus he has a thought provoking essay which is great.

This book should be in every card man's library.

walkinoats

Postby walkinoats » April 11th, 2002, 7:39 am

sounds like an excellent book.
Mark, can you describe the effect " Zen Master " ?
thanks,

Cugel

Postby Cugel » April 11th, 2002, 2:19 pm

I don't want to tip too much of the details on the material - it's best if you enjoy the exquisite frisson of discovery for yourself.

Suffice to say the effect is an outstanding hands-off mentalism piece that has an astonishing prediction ending. And boy does the thought of it being in print make me want to cry...

Postby Guest » April 11th, 2002, 9:22 pm

walkinoats,

My description of the "Zen Master" would not do it justice. You are going to be infinitely more impressed when you read the description in the book when it comes out. You won't be disappointed !!!!

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » April 11th, 2002, 10:21 pm

Andrew,

Sounds like you'd be doing us all a favor if you ask Darwin permission to post the effect of "The Zen Master" from the book. Tell him it will be a free advertisement that whets our appetite without giving anything away.

Really, if you think about it you could copy all the effect sections into a "table of contents" that could be given away freely. What better advertisement for a book could there be?

Pete

Postby Guest » April 12th, 2002, 7:49 am

I love D. Ortiz books and videos, this book will probably be a great experience for me thats love strong card magic. I use about 6 great card effects from Darwins books and videos.
Is there any DVD published with Mr Darwin Ortiz?

CHRIS

Postby CHRIS » April 12th, 2002, 10:27 am

Pete,

I think you made a wonderful suggestion. Taking all effect descriptions of an upcomming book and making it available. A great idea indeed.

I will try to do this for some of my future ebook projects. I could then create a separate ebook which has only the effects in it and make it available free of charge. Hmm - that might be a winner.

Chris....
Lybrary.com preserving magic one book at a time
http://www.lybrary.com

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » April 12th, 2002, 11:35 am

Just a note: Doug Atkinson has been running a webpage for a while that lists the contents of many current books. He has, along with several volunteers (including myself), written up the table of contents and brief descriptions of many books in his library. Obviously, it's not really possible to include the contents of yet-to-be-released books, but if someone that had access to a book before it was published wanted to contribute, I'm sure he would be more than happy.

For anyone interested, here's the link: Magic Reference Pages .

-Jim

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » April 12th, 2002, 12:09 pm

Jim's right about the Magic Reference Pages site. It's a great start on what can become a real resource for those considering a book or video purchase.

If we all spent an hour writing up just our favorite book (or two) it would be a great help in what Doug's trying to accomplish and it might even help the sales of some lessor known books.

cheers,
bill
(Who's just finishing up "Strong Magic" and couldn't be happier to hear there's another Ortiz book in the channel.)

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » April 12th, 2002, 12:17 pm

Bill - it already IS a great resource for making purchase decisions. I've used it several times to help with decisions on what to buy - I haven't been disappointed. I'm planning on writing up a few more books when I get the chance - Books of Wonder, Vol 1 and Strong Magic. But you're right...the more people to take a small amount of their time to contribute, the better the site will get.

-Jim

Postby Guest » April 12th, 2002, 1:23 pm

I don't want to sound like I am being a jerk (it is not my intention), but if the book is copywritten and it states that "No part of this publication may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means ... without written permission" and you write up the table of contents of your favorite magic book, isn't that a violation?

Believe me, I understand wanting to know the table of contents and I can see how it could benefit someone or assist them in making the purchase, but is it right to do that (unless you have written permission)?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 12th, 2002, 1:39 pm

I am not a copyright attorney, though I do have some understanding of the law. Reproducing the table of contents exactly as it appears in the book would, I think, violate the copyright. The only reason you might be able to get away with it is something called "fair use," but I really don't know if a table of contents falls into that category.
The reason none of us who publish would complain about a table of contents being reproduced is because it's good publicity for us and our books. So, a good case could be made that it is helpful to the publisher rather than hurtful.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » April 12th, 2002, 1:44 pm

Mark,
Don't worry - it's perfectly ok to question it. I believe, however, that this falls under the fair use rule. From www.nolo.com:

Subject to some general limitations discussed later in this article, the following types of uses are usually deemed fair uses:

• Criticism and comment -- for example, quoting or excerpting a work in a review or criticism for purposes of illustration or comment.
  • News reporting -- for example, summarizing an address or article, with brief quotations, in a news report.
  • Research and scholarship -- for example, quoting a short passage in a scholarly, scientific or technical work for illustration or clarification of the author's observations.
  • Nonprofit educational uses -- for example, photocopying of limited portions of written works by teachers for classroom use.
  • Parody -- that is, a work that ridicules another, usually well-known, work by imitating it in a comic way.
In most other situations, copying is not legally a fair use. Without an author's permission, such a use violates the author's copyright.

I believe that the case of listing the tables of contents could rightfully fit into either the "Criticism and Comment" or "News Reporting" categories - more likely "News Reporting". We're summarizing what's in the book by using the Table of Contents. Other factors that weigh in on this: it's not for profit, it's not competing with the authors, it benefits the general public, we're not quoting a significant portion of the books (ie, we don't give away so much info that it would make buying the book worthless). I think you get the point - I believe that the site is fully covered by the current fair use laws.

-Jim

Cugel

Postby Cugel » April 12th, 2002, 6:52 pm

In regard to describing any particular effect (Walkinoat's request above) I bugged Darwin on this and got the following response:

"I would rather not sell the book on the basis of one effect. I have found with my previous books that different readers are drawn to different effects. I expect the same to be true with "Scams and Fantasies with Cards."

Regarding Pete McCabe's request... Okay, here it is. If Darwin sues me you guys can pay for my defense...

SCAMS
Dj vu Poker
Combination Cull
The Brush
Liar's Poker
Shark Attack
Raw Deal
The Professional
God of Gamblers
No Way Out
Pocket Money
Smart Money
Maximum Risk

FANTASIES
The Last Laugh
Remote Control
The Zen Master
Hitchcock Travelers
The Quick & The Dead
Fastest Gun Alive
Cannibal Holocaust
The New Back Off
Ace in the Pocket
Darwin's Ambitious Card
Ultimate Oil & Water
Ultimate Fusion
Pass the Garbage
The Color of Money
Walkaround Triumph
Triple Cross
Beat the Devil
Appointment in Samarra

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » April 12th, 2002, 9:15 pm

Originally posted by Jim Maloney:
... it already IS a great resource for making purchase decisions.
Agreed, but there are only a small number of books indexed. It only helps me if there are books I haven't got... ;)

One of the reasons I did "Variations" was because of the amazing amount of interest that work has generated on places like eBay.

Likewise, when I was working on "Art of Astonishment" I was thinking about how much the set costs and thought if the contents were detailed it might help those who don't know a lot of Harris' work to start with the right volume.

Good Luck with "Strong Magic", I look forward to reading your summary. It's a must have book for anyone who likes to think about magic. Thank you Richard for publishing it.

Sean Macfarlane

Postby Sean Macfarlane » May 13th, 2002, 3:58 am

Anyone know when Darwin wil be shipping his new book to the people who went for the deal.?

Postby Guest » May 13th, 2002, 4:02 am

The book should be ready to ship out sometime in June.

Postby Guest » June 5th, 2002, 1:03 pm

The book is ready??
Simonet! ;)

Postby Guest » June 5th, 2002, 1:15 pm

Almost.

thecardman

Postby thecardman » June 5th, 2002, 2:42 pm

Andrew

Stuff all the Copyright stuff and thanks for all the information (especially the list of contents - "Combination Cull" has me interested already).

One quick question, does anyone on this forum know if Mr Ortiz will be attending the SAM Convention in NYC? I'd kinda like to get a copy while I am there, be a cool present to bring home.

Peter
:-)

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » June 5th, 2002, 3:43 pm

Received an email from Mr. Ortiz today; he said "My new book should be out in a few weeks."

Straight from the source . . .

Bill

thecardman

Postby thecardman » June 7th, 2002, 2:52 pm

Bill

Thanks for the info.

Peter
:-)

Postby Guest » June 8th, 2002, 10:12 pm

I am counting the minutes!

Richard Tremblay

Postby Richard Tremblay » July 4th, 2002, 5:28 am

Originally posted by bill mullins:
Received an email from Mr. Ortiz today; he said "My new book should be out in a few weeks."

Straight from the source . . .

Bill
One month after that, does anybody has news about the book? I can't barely wait for it.

Richard Tremblay

Postby Guest » July 4th, 2002, 7:15 am

Postby Guest » July 4th, 2002, 7:16 am

Postby Guest » July 4th, 2002, 7:18 am

Sean Macfarlane

Postby Sean Macfarlane » July 4th, 2002, 1:54 pm

Any news?

Cugel

Postby Cugel » July 4th, 2002, 2:29 pm

Darwin emailed me yesterday on this. Apparently there's been a delay in the cover design and layout. But the cover was finished last week (and looks great) and the layout is due to be done by the end of this week, then it should be at the printers next week. I'd guess that would mean we won't see them until August...

The delay is driving me nuts, too!

Cheers
Andrew

Cugel

Postby Cugel » July 4th, 2002, 2:30 pm

Darwin emailed me yesterday on this. Apparently there's been a delay in the cover design and layout. But the cover was finished last week (and looks great) and the layout is due to be done by the end of this week, then it should be at the printers next week. I'd guess that would mean we won't see them until August...

The delay is driving me nuts, too!

Cheers
Andrew

Postby Guest » July 5th, 2002, 8:39 pm

Last Saturday, Darwin lectured at Denny and Lee's in Essex, MD and performed several effects from his upcoming book.

He performed the following effects:

1. Pass The Garbage

2. Hitchcock Travelers

3. The Color Of Money

4. The Professional

5. Combination Cull

6. Beat The Devil

7. Zen Master

8. God of Gamblers (performance only)

His new book has some incredibly solid and very commercial material. I am a huge fan of Darwin's work and his new book is one I have been looking forward to ever since he mentioned it last year.

At the lecture, Darwin also relayed the same info. that Andrew Wimhurst posted in reference to the delay in the printing of his book.

Believe me, when it comes out, this is one book you will want.

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » July 8th, 2002, 7:56 am

I had the pleasure of meeting Mark at Darwin's lecture at Denny's...Let me echo him in saying that the material that I saw is of a tremendous caliber...very impressive...

The Zen Master had me feeling like a layman all over again--an experience we all get too rarely...my jaw was definitely hanging in mid-air...it's a stunning piece of mindreading that's impeccably structured--there's a very beautiful "build" to the piece, it develops its own inertia...
its the kind of piece that has a right time and place, and the audience needs to be adequately impressed by prior material to be willing to devote to you time and attention...but when its right--is it ever right!
"The Color of Money" is a very commercial version of follow the leader--one i will be performing quite regularly...
the Travellers routine (the proper name escapes me and i'm too lazy to look it up in Mark's post) is very interesting as well...
all around...this looks to be a good book...having seen some of the material in person I highly recommend it!
regards,
nate.

Brian Morton

Postby Brian Morton » July 8th, 2002, 2:13 pm

I, too, was at the Ortiz lecture at Denny's.

Suffice to say, the Zen Master rocked. Hard.

Worth the price of the book.

nuff said.

brian :cool:

mike cookman

Postby mike cookman » July 23rd, 2002, 2:23 pm

A new book by Darwin Ortiz is always something to look forward to. So, is it out yet? Huh? Is it? Mark Ennis, you know Mr. Ortiz personally, so what's the scoop? By the way, Mark, you remember me? We used to hang out at Al's on satudays.

Postby Guest » July 24th, 2002, 4:17 am

"A new book by Darwin Ortiz is always something to look forward to. So, is it out yet?"

Almost. Hopefully in another 6 weeks or so.

"Huh? Is it?"

I said, in another 6 weeks or so.

"Mark Ennis, you know Mr. Ortiz personally, so what's the scoop? "

I've heard of him.

"By the way, Mark, you remember me? We used to hang out at Al's on satudays. "

Sorry, never hung out with "coin guys". Plus I am not familiar with the word "satuday". Is this some sort of pagan holiday that isn't listed on my calendar?

Hi Mike, of course I remember you (you were an employee at MM's I believe). I'll e-mail you separately.

In all honesty, Darwin's new book has some incredible routines (probably some of his most commercial stuff yet). Wait till you see his handling for Color Monte in the trick he calls "The Color of Monte". Wait, that's not right. In all honesty, there are some incredible routines in this book. You will be pleased with it.

Shahin

Postby Shahin » August 5th, 2002, 9:40 am

Does someone have new information? Maybe a release date? The book suppossed to be out this month (August)!

Shahin

Postby Guest » August 8th, 2002, 7:58 pm

This waiting thing sucks. Are you sure Kaufman & Company aren't publishing this one? KIDDING, Richard...Kidding.

Terry

Postby Terry » August 9th, 2002, 5:02 am

This waiting thing sucks
It really does, especially those of us who prepaid in anticipation of a June release as was advertised. Now it's nearing the end of August and still no "official" word of any release date. I just hope it lives up to the expectations.

Postby Guest » August 9th, 2002, 1:08 pm

Just got sad news from the Netherlands: Bob Driebeek(Aenigma) is dead. Funeral will be on Thursday.
Hans-Gerhard Koch

Return to “Buzz”