How was latest Card Clinic in DC?

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.

How was latest Card Clinic in DC?

Postby Guest » June 6th, 2005, 4:38 pm

any thoughts or stories from paricipants?

Brian Morton

Re: How was latest Card Clinic in DC?

Postby Brian Morton » June 6th, 2005, 4:51 pm

We're all still catching up on sleep. :)

brian :cool:

Kevin Wiese

Postby Kevin Wiese » June 6th, 2005, 5:42 pm

Brain still recovering.
Here's a rough outline of a few highlights:

Cards - lots of cards.
Fried to a crisp by Giobbi deck switches.
Further cooked by Swiss intensity.
Taken to school by Howie Schwarzman.
A certain author/publisher lurking in the background.
Camaraderie with a great bunch of guys.
Food.
Some beer.
More cards.
It all went by way too fast.
That's all for now..... must study.

Jamy Ian Swiss

Postby Jamy Ian Swiss » June 7th, 2005, 8:47 am

The 4th Card Clinic, in Washington DC, is now history. As you can likely gather from Kevin's post, Howie Schwarzman was the enthusiastically received mystery lecturer.

Richard Kaufman was also on hand for much of the Clinic.

Posts from other Clinicians past and present are welcome here. Hope to see the rest of you at the next one. This was a great group and I thank you all for contributing to a memorable Clinic!

George Olson

Postby George Olson » June 7th, 2005, 9:37 am

Any chance the next one could be somewhere on the West Coast?

GO

Jamy Ian Swiss

Postby Jamy Ian Swiss » June 7th, 2005, 10:31 am

Future Clinic plans that are under consideration include:

Close-up Clinic w/David Ben -- this September in NYC
For 2006:
Card Clinic w/Roberto Giobbi
Stack Clinic w/Michael Close
For the 2006 Clinics, one would be in NYC and the other in Las Vegas.

I do not intend to produce future Clinics outside of these two locations. As to which will be where in 2006, I am not yet certain. Most attendees will have to travel no matter what, and I, for one, don't really see much difference whether one is flying three hours or five hours. Apparently others, somewhat to my puzzlement, see it differently. By moving the Clinics around, it seemed that some interpreted this to mean they could wait until the Clinic came to them -- unlikely, if you consider the pace of one or two a year. But for those waiting for a Clinic to arrive in their backyards, it will only come to pass if your backyard is in NYC or LV.

We have had *international* registrants at virtually every Clinic. Clinics will continue if, and only if, American attendees are willing to travel a bit. Time will tell. For the time being, if you are interested in attending Close-up Clinic in NYC this September, please write to info@closeupclinic.com and let us know about it.

JR Russell

Postby JR Russell » June 7th, 2005, 1:13 pm

The Clinic Motto says that the "three days will change your magic forever"...and that describes the clinic perfectly.

From Friday till Sunday all we did was magic. I learned that I obviously had not "really read" all the books I own and realized that I don't need to go buy any more "tricks"...I have enough tools in the toolbox to last a lifetime. Many of them I didn't know I had.

Jamy & Roberto are incredible. They complimented each other perfectly as we moved in and out of discussions on theory & technique.

Then add Mr. Howie Schwartzman & Richard Kauffman to the class and we had our proverbial "cake & got to eat it too"

There were a ton of best parts of the clinic but one of them has to be the 14 new friends and fellow Card Clinic buddies. I flew back to Germany on Sunday and already had emails from a couple of them!

The analogy that made the most sense to me was that Tiger Woods and all the golf pros have coaches & mentors. Their swing coach corrects flaws and faults. I usually go to my golf pro each year for a "check up", he corrects my swing and tweaks a few things and I shank a few shots into the woods until I practice what he tweaked. The Card Clinic was almost the same thing for me only Jamy/Roberto/Howie didn't just tweak my grip they showed me a way to play the game that I did not realize at all...WOW followed by a "Holy &*($!"

Inspirational, Motivational, Educational and FUN. I'll probably add some more info but right now I have to get back to deciphering all the notes I took and reading Card College again FOR THE FIRST TIME.

Now I gotta race all you guys to beat you to the Close-up & Stack Clinics! AND I would do CARD CLINIC every year if I could get there...I would stop spending the $$ on DVDs/tricks and put it towards going to the clinic.

Cheers to all
"JR"
"Fly Navy"

PS...The Forum doesn't have an emoticon smiley that describes the feeling! :D
JR Russell
"Fly Navy"

Postby Guest » June 7th, 2005, 2:19 pm

What a party. Very long days!

If you want to find order in that collection of books and tricks you buy every month. You need to hit a clinic near you. Roberto is amazing at his analysis of each subject. All of you that think magic is only an art should see his analysis.

The second myth is about Jamy. Many of you will color you thoughts of him from his column in Genii or his published thoughts on magic. Much like Mr. Wolf in pulp fiction. He is brusk because he has no time. When you get him at a clinic he will ruin all of this bad energy and hate. He is a wonderful, thoughtful guy. His lectures are insightful and fun.

My biggest mistake was not performing more. I would lay back and watch. Don't make this same mistake.

Postby Guest » June 7th, 2005, 2:35 pm

My first College experience was Close Up and it was over the top. The Card Clinic is absolutely at the same level. Jamy and Roberto make you think about every single detail of your magic. This experience will definitely raise your level of play. Just a small point about the cost. It is actually a bargain because, for me anyway, it is worth more than 4 conventions!

Brian Morton

Postby Brian Morton » June 7th, 2005, 2:37 pm

One suggestion I would make for anyone who attends Card Clinic is this: do not shy away from performing in the critique session. This is something that I would say most magicians never get to experience -- critique from not one but two of the top performing/teaching professionals in the world. You can get all the one-way advice you want from a DVD, but it's not like one will ever critique your form, choices, acting, technique or pacing.

One of the attendees told me afterward, "Why do I ever need to be intimidated performing in front of anyone again -- I performed in front of Jamy Swiss and Roberto Giobbi!" And even though the advice he got he surely was not prepared to hear (I've been in that situation several times before myself), he left absolutely bursting with excitement about his magical future, not about whatever mistakes he had made getting to where he was.

Before I attended Card Clinic, I owned just about every manuscript Jamy Swiss has ever written, and all five of the Giobbi Card College books, and had gone through them all -- and yet I got to see any number of items performed live from them that made me look with whole new eyes at either the routines themselves, or the concepts and theories that informed them, and it helped me look at other things in a new light. In short, it was a jump-starting educational kick-in-the-pants.

When he announces another one, don't think too hard about it -- just go.

brian :cool:

Kevin Wiese

Postby Kevin Wiese » June 7th, 2005, 3:31 pm

A couple things I'd like to add:
Go.
Perform.

When Card Clinic pops up again, definitely go. It's worth much more than all the tricks and DVD's you're thinking of buying now.

I was one of the few who actually got to perform at the student evaluation session. It was a work in progress and I received invaluable, constructive criticism from Jamy and Roberto. This is the type of objective critique that you won't get from your friends or the boys at the magic club. Now I'm going to take this advice and run to make it a polished presentation. I also got some helpful presentational advice from Jim F.

As much as anything else, Card Clinic gave me the direction I needed to take my magic to the next level.

Bill McFadden

Postby Bill McFadden » June 7th, 2005, 4:59 pm

Yep, it's all that. As a participant in tbe very first Clinic in '02, I was allowed to take advantage of a one-day registration. It brought back all the enthusiasm and collegiality which I experienced three years ago. One helluva touchstone by which to measure my own progress. These Clinics also seem to bring out the best attendees. Jet-lagged was I, but what a privilege to join these guys for day two - although by 8:30 PM I became far too much of a dullard to join all for dinner. Too bad for me: wish I coulda spent more time in conversation with Brian, Howie, Jake, Noah, Dave, Larry, Bill, Crispin, Mitch, Jack, JR, Jim, Ron, Yali, and the curly-haired guy in the denim shirt who I couldn't quite place. And of course, "Bravo!" to Messrs. Giobbi and Swiss. Folks, these guys keep setting the banquet table for you; you gotta come and partake! :cool: :D

Greg B

Postby Greg B » June 8th, 2005, 3:51 pm

Card Clinic was definitely worth the money and time!! It absolutely will change your focus, goals, and the level of detail that you apply in card magic.

The session topics swayed between general theory for presenting any effect, applications of theory and analyses of specific effects, and of course, technique for important sleights. The three days covered an immense amount of information - almost too much to absorb in such a short time. I took pages and pages of notes and will be thinking about these concepts for many years. The clinic absolutely motivated me to go back to re-read - to study - books and effects that I thought that I knew.

The instructors were awesome! Jamy and Roberto made a superb tag team in an intense and lengthy parade of lectures, demonstrations, and impromptu one-on-one tutorials. Their teaching and personal approaches were sometimes different but very complementary. Frankly, their different approaches were a key to the success of the clinic. Both were extremely friendly and approachable during the entire weekend. Plus, the group had the same access to Mr. Schwartzman and Richard Kauffman! This was truly a rare opportunity to absorb card knowledge from the best in the business.

The group was also an ideal mix. Participants ranged from working professionals to dedicated hobbyists to even a few beginners. It was also a very highly educated bunch of guys. All were enthusiastic, interesting, and motivated. Frankly, it was great just hanging out with them, talking about cards, and having a few beers. We all made lasting friendships among card men.

And I think that was one of the important goals of the clinic. As Jamy and Roberto emphasized at the end of the weekend, Card Clinic is an ongoing process that will continue to improve our card magic through study, hard work, and thought-provoking discussions with the great guys and instructors who we met there. You certainly can't get that from buying a DVD. It's priceless!

Postby Guest » June 8th, 2005, 6:45 pm

How was it?

It was like being locked in a chocolate shop with 15 other chocoholics.

Why go?

1. There is no substitute for interaction with the masters in any field. Often one sentence or one demo fixes months or even years of not getting it right.
  2. Jamy and Roberto are superb teachers.
  3. I was not bored for even one minute in three days.
  4. You meet a great variety of people with the same serious interest from around the country.
  5. They have consistently had a great lecturer who alone would be worth the trip.
  6. It is great fun.

Mitch Praver

Postby Mitch Praver » June 9th, 2005, 7:31 am

If you're reading this, I'd recommend you sign up for the next Card Clinic asap.

The three days of 10 AM-Mid. were exhilarating and mind stretching. Jami and Roberto are two of the few folks who could pull off this type of clinic. Jamy has the intensity and drive that kept us energized and focused. His talks on criteria for magic effect selection and his suggestions on how to focus on the key card sleights were extremely helpful. Roberto has such an extraordinary breadth of knowledge. His talks on the magic pyramid (written up in Card College) and the deck switch will have a great impact on my magic studies forever.

The choice of Howard Schwartzman as guest lecturer was brilliant. Man, he just fried us with effects that employed both the most difficult and the most basic of techniques.

As one of the few clinicians who got the chance to perform in front of the master tribunal, I must say that it was well worth the risk. Great opportunity and great feedback. I'll never forget it.

Lastly, the group of people in the clinic cut across many age groups and walks of life (including a fighter pilot, lieutenant, LA Times journalist, media executive, lawyer, doctor, and a few professional magicians). We all shared that strong, special passion for card magic. It was a great group of guys (why no women?).

Most of all, the clinic was a great deal of fun. Didn't want it to end.

Mitch

Postby Guest » June 9th, 2005, 2:14 pm

yeah all of that. you know i teach for a living and i go through fits trying to keep people interested. one thing i'll say for the students at this thing: we were watching with extreme intensity, like 14 hours a day. that's a tribute to how absorbing the handling of cards is and how good jamy and robert are at it. yeah and i agree with brian's remark: i've got plenty of books; maybe i really ought to read them with some intensity. but one book i'll buy: jamy should write the complete book of color changes. hey and that kid jake completely fied my mind with a think of a card trick at the bar on saturday night. completely impossible.

Postby Guest » June 13th, 2005, 4:43 pm

Everybody thanks for your comments

Ed

Return to “Buzz”