Uri Geller/Criss Angel Phenomenon to debut on Oct.24

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.

Re: Uri Geller/Criss Angel Phenomenon to debut on Oct.24

Postby Guest » October 27th, 2007, 1:24 pm

Originally posted by Randwill:
And the 7 people on-stage was pointless. Why not just one person (or an easel) holding the prediction on one card? Audience participation is a good thing but only if the people actually participate.
While you could quibble abt how the handling could have been changed for THIS showing, the point of the 7 cards and people are:

1) To involve the audience and

2) To have 7 very large numbers which would be visible all the way to the back of a large audience. (A single person couldn't hold up all 7 of those large numbers.)

Also, Gerry was doing the presentation he had done many times professionally, so it makes sense that he wouldn't try to change the whole thing for that one show.

Outside of the passive audience participation (employees and execs getting up in front of their peers), you make a good point for the TV context.

Steve

Postby Guest » October 27th, 2007, 4:06 pm

Since "Phenomenon" was going up against the World Series, I understand that they were hoping to pull at least a 2.0 share of the ratings.

I heard that they pulled a 2.9.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 27th, 2007, 5:16 pm

They came in third in the time slot, which means not only did the World Series beat them, so did whatever was on the other major network.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » October 28th, 2007, 7:53 am

Also interesting is the LA Times reporter writing that he'd received spam from McCambridge asking for his vote. Apparently, Gerry is desperate enough to stoop to begging for votes from strangers.

Perhaps he's trying to "rely on the kindness of strangers" rather than on talent and presentational skills?

Glenn Farrington

Postby Glenn Farrington » October 28th, 2007, 7:04 pm

Or...he is just good at marketing.
Comedy's Easy...Dying Sucks.

Glenn Farrington

Postby Glenn Farrington » October 30th, 2007, 10:10 pm

Richard...I expect donuts, fresh donuts, next week here in LA. Chocolate frosted.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » October 30th, 2007, 10:23 pm

I hope you like Hostess Donettes.

Postby Guest » October 30th, 2007, 11:53 pm

Chocolate Donettes > all!!!

Amos McCormick

Postby Amos McCormick » October 31st, 2007, 8:01 am

Chris's one-upsmanship and the prevalence of such things as sticking your hand into an animal trap and putting a nail gun against your head pretty much made me fast forward through those parts.

I guess I wouldn't make much of a judge... I really liked the Human Telephone Number routine.

Postby Guest » October 31st, 2007, 7:01 pm

I was not impressed with night 1. Ive seen McCambridge's show at the (now ex-)Stardust and I saw a carny geek named Wyck do the animal trap deal at Six Flags Fright Fest 2 weeks ago. I was also worried about the concept of this show - especially the idea that it would be presented as legitimate ability rather than as a competition to choose the most entertaining... especially with Uri involved.

But i'm watching tonights show (night 2, I think?) and it's gotten better.

Big props to Criss for stating "Of course you can't find oil or water with any kind of divination rod..." That thump you heard was Randi falling off his chair.

And while the "million dollar envelope challenge" was clearly a grandstanding ratings stunt, I would love - LOVE - for Criss to become a crab-ass curmudgeon that pokes a hole or two in the folks who cross the line from entertaining to claiming 'real miracles.'

Now, WHO is this "Ross" volunteer character, and who thought he added value to the show?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 31st, 2007, 7:04 pm

I missed tonight's show: out trick-or-treating with my daughter.
How was episode 2 and who got booted off?

Roy McIlwee
Favorite Magician: Steve Dusheck

Postby Roy McIlwee » October 31st, 2007, 7:13 pm

That show was laughable, set mentalism back 50 years. Roy McIlwee, Scranton, Penna.

Postby Guest » October 31st, 2007, 7:22 pm

Ehud Segev and Jim Karol got booted off.

Jim Callahan was over the top. Criss Angel channenged him, and it nearly broke out into fisticuffs. Or did it? Who is to say that the incident wasn't planned by Jim and Criss?

Either way, Angela Funovits gets my vote.

Postby Guest » October 31st, 2007, 7:41 pm

Episode 2 was far better than the first IMHO. I especially enjoyed the near brawl. When you claim psychic powers in a room full of magicians/mentalists what else would you expect the reaction to be?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 31st, 2007, 8:04 pm

Wasn't Callahan the guy who was just put in as last-minute substitute for some other contestent?

Postby Guest » October 31st, 2007, 8:07 pm

I think Criss was only doing what Houdini would have done especially since they did a segment on Houdini following the arguement. Criss is always talking about how he wishes to pay homage to Houdini this would be the perfect way and on TV.

Postby Guest » October 31st, 2007, 8:09 pm

Well after ten years of taking my daughter trick-or-treating she felt she was too old to need me to tag along with her and her friends so I got to watch Phenomenon instead. In short the highlights for me was Jim Bardi's and Mike Super's routine. (Geller did not like Super's routine) I missed Angela Funovits's perform as I was refilling the candy bowl. I was looking forward to seeing her and the few seconds of highlight at the end of the show looked good.

I think I saw a "reflection" during the sunglasses routine - did anyone else see that or are my eyes really going? Also Hoffman's tattoo looked like it was rubbing off.

Geller said he "wanted to believe" Callahan's claim of talking to the dead but Angel called his performance "comical" and offered him $1MM if Callahan could tell him details of what was in the envelope in his pocket. Callahan called him a bigot of some type. He did have to be restrained from getting in Angel's face.

I'm not an Angel fan but he did previously say if anyone claimed what they were doing was real he would challenge them so I give him credit for doing what he said he would do.

Overall I liked the show more than I thought I would. If you missed it I believe that the Bravo channel does a repeat airing.

One last thought regarding Ross. I do think he adds to the show and does lighten the mood.

Postby Guest » October 31st, 2007, 8:10 pm

Originally posted by John Wilson:
Episode 2 was far better than the first IMHO. I especially enjoyed the near brawl. When you claim psychic powers in a room full of magicians/mentalists what else would you expect the reaction to be?
Well I for one would expect professionalism from my host. Not a cheap, crass, insulting and childish call out.

Gord

Postby Guest » October 31st, 2007, 8:13 pm

Cris Angel and Jim Callahan...it was almost like a wrestling match, only without the entertaining personalities.

Oddly enough, Cris challenged Callahan AND Uri, but that part got glossed over. Uri was supposedly trying to hold Cris back while the announcer tried to restrain Callahan. Seemed a bit contrived to me.

I'll agree that this week's show was far better than the first, but exactly what is that saying? Watching grass grow would have been more entertaining than the first show.

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » October 31st, 2007, 8:33 pm

I think it was Mike Super that was the last minute replacement for Jason Scott that left.
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

Postby Guest » October 31st, 2007, 8:36 pm

Originally posted by David Alexander:
Cris Angel and Jim Callahan...it was almost like a wrestling match, only without the entertaining personalities.
:whack: :whack: :whack:
:whack: :whack:
:whack:

(No applause Graemlin is available on Genii Forum, so the Whack will have to substitute.)

Postby Guest » October 31st, 2007, 9:18 pm

"I think I saw a "reflection" during the sunglasses routine"

Yep. I definitely saw that "reflection".
Unfortunately (or fortunately), I missed the confrontation due to channel surfing. (put the remote in my hand and it's ADD-TV)

Postby Guest » October 31st, 2007, 10:00 pm

"Ross" is the embodiment of "fingernails on a chalk board".

Was that Callahan guy lead singer for the 80s group "Sparks"? The "fight" was pure pure hooey.

--C.A. was right, the u.v. ink on the audience's palms WAS less excruciating than Callahan's little seance.

The (was it a WHOLE minute?) Houdini tribute was the best part.

I have seen worse, but I know down deep I can't give an unbiased review because I am simply too much of a cynical bastard to buy (or barely more than tolerate) their false histrionics: the quivering lips, the incredible amounts of energy it takes to communicate with the dead.

Honk shoo. :sleep:

Funniest line of the night, "Tonight's murder weapon will be a...dresser".

Oh, and "Don't try to stop your heart".

P.S. Regarding the poses assumed during the wrap-up at the end, ay carumba.

Postby Guest » October 31st, 2007, 11:39 pm

I think this is the reason for Angel's million-dollar challenge (from Callahan's site):

http://www.jimclass.com/Employment%20After%20Death.htm

I continue to believe that the most effective mentalist of the past several years was John Edward. His simple style obviously convinced many viewers.

The performers on Phenomenon were far too into their steely glares and mysterious personas (with a couple exceptions) to even approach being convincing.

Postby Guest » October 31st, 2007, 11:46 pm

What was the "Men-in-Black" look at the beginning of the show supposed to mean? For a moment I thought they were going to pull out one of the "flashy pens" from the movie and make me forget that I ever saw them.

I enjoyed Angela's stage presence and delivery. She is a charming lady. Mike Super had good material, but the 3:13 in the ENTIRE audience's hands was overkill in my opinion (i.e. too extraordinary to make it real).

Glenn: Is it true Richard will bring chocolate doughnuts to LA next week? My mouth starts to water... ;)

Postby Guest » October 31st, 2007, 11:57 pm

Ross was an intern on the Tonight Show who managed to become the guy Jay sent to "cover" awards shows for the Tonight Show. He became a favorite of actresses who like squeeky men and has become something of a celeb in his own right. Proving that Warhol was right once again...

He's on the show for that same reason Raven is... to make the overacting of the contestants less obvious.

Who would have thought that Cris would be the voice of maturity and reason? Thought he was dead on about the frenetic overacting of the guy who engaged in automatic writing.

Anneman must be rolling over in his grave tonight.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » November 1st, 2007, 12:13 am

Coffee and Doughnuts at the Neilsen History Conference booth provided by RK. Yippie.

Postby Guest » November 1st, 2007, 1:17 am

What is NBC thinking?! 2 hrs of Phenomenon! It's slow and uninteresting. Perhaps for starters they could get a good director. The show is still trying to figure out what it wants to be. I hope they find what that is...soon!

Postby Guest » November 1st, 2007, 5:48 am

NBC has thoughtfully provided a forum by which the viewers may weigh in with their thoughts, complaints, opinions. You'll find it at:

http://boards.nbc.com/nbc/index.php?act=SF&s=&f=243

Someone with more time than I may wish to read through and report back on how much of the performer's methodology is being exposed.

Rick Ruhl

Postby Rick Ruhl » November 1st, 2007, 6:03 am

Here's Jim Callahan, his act and his fight with Criss.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pE45QHIUfiM

Postby Guest » November 1st, 2007, 6:29 am

Regarding the 'near-brawl':
I've seen better fight scenes on Star Treck. And better acting as well.

Postby Guest » November 1st, 2007, 6:48 am

Originally posted by David Alexander:

Someone with more time than I may wish to read through and report back on how much of the performer's methodology is being exposed.
Seems the performer's are doing a good job of exposing methods themselves. Or at least the lighting-cameraman is.

Postby Guest » November 1st, 2007, 8:01 am

Yes a thread flashed. Glad I'm not the only one who noticed. They did manage to pace the second episode a little bit better. My real question is, what the hell was the deal with the bullet catch montage with no bullet catch to follow?

Glenn Farrington

Postby Glenn Farrington » November 1st, 2007, 9:19 am

Like most of America, I did something far more productive and entertaining...I went trick or treating with my kids.

Two hoursTwo hours???? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Richard...chocolate frosted. I will even pick you up at the airport to collect them.

As I read the accounts here on the forum of the "altercation" between Chris and Jim, I'm guessing, based factually on every other reality program that has hit the airways...it was scripted, either partially or completely. This is why I absolutely abhor all reality TV (except Extreme Home Makeover which makes me cry). They feed us bunk knowing most of America will digest it.

btw...there is a reason every other judged show has three judges, it has to do with balance and a round robin of peacekeeping. Breaking that formula alone might cause loss of home audiences feeling invested in the show. There is no one representing their voice.

At the end of the day, this show is a brilliant marketing idea for Chris. It will really help widen his fan base that will come pay serious money at his new Vegas venue. UriI dont know, maybe hell get better seating at a restaurant now.

Im glad I went trick or treating last night. I was able to burn off calories to make room for Richards donuts. Did I mention I like chocolate frosted???

Brandon Hall

Postby Brandon Hall » November 1st, 2007, 9:37 am

Never, ever do IT work if you can't control the lighting!!
"Hope I Die Before I Get Old"
P. Townshend

Postby Guest » November 1st, 2007, 9:40 am

Regarding the sunglasses, I thought that stringy, silvery thing was ectoplasm.

And I'm not convinced the altercation was staged. One of my reasons for saying this is that if you view it again, I think you'll see that Criss seemed a bit nervous when he started to call Jim (and Uri) out.

Jim added theatrics to it, but what would you expect after viewing his routine?

Terry

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 1st, 2007, 9:40 am

Darling, you don't get any doughnuts, frosted or otherwise, because you watched the second show. :)

My bet was that even though the first show was so poor, most of you would watch the second show anyway. My prediction came true: I AM THE GREATEST MENTAL CASE IN THE WORLD.

Oh, sorry, mentalist in the world.

Brandon Hall

Postby Brandon Hall » November 1st, 2007, 9:45 am

Of course, Richard. We need something to complain about.
"Hope I Die Before I Get Old"

P. Townshend

Postby Guest » November 1st, 2007, 10:13 am

If we are going to speak to dead people - lets do it properly. The guy needs to go see John Edward to at least learn the basics of believability

"Hi - I'm dead - and I'm only going to communicate with you by randomly telling you what mystery object you put in a box."

For goodness sake - let's have a reality check ! We've made contact with the other side and the best you can do is tell me that I chose a toy car ... I think not.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » November 1st, 2007, 10:25 am

Criss Angel (or as one of my non-magician friends keeps innocently calling him, "Kris Krinkle") supplied the ONLY interesting moments in this entire tedious exercise.

This is what this show needs -- some greasy, New York punk vibe, rather than a lot of wannabe male models preening as psychics.

Incidentally, I've called Criss Angel because I do know what was in the envelopes -- air. There may have been some other stuff, but there was definitely air. That should be worth at least a hundred thou.

Return to “Buzz”