Baby Announcement

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
M. Sibbernsen

Baby Announcement

Postby M. Sibbernsen » June 7th, 2002, 4:43 pm

Hello folks. I thought I would share these last few hectic yet magical days with my friends on the various boards.

First: I am proud to announce the birth of my identical twin sons Matthew John Sibbernsen on June 5th at 11:55PM and Lucas Everts Sibbernsen on June 6th at 12:05AM. That's right, twins with different birthdays!

The birth was quite an ordeal...

As you probably know, twins usually come anywhere between three and five weeks early because quite literally of the "lack of room". My wife Kendra however was only at 33 weeks, so we estimated at least another two before the birth. A run-in with the 24h flu put a kabbash on those plans, and threw Kendra into premature labor. Once the time was right, we went to the local hospital where they put her on a saline drip with antibiotics for the sickness. An hour later her water broke, so we knew we were in for the long haul. Turned out a little longer than we expected.

After a few hours of waiting, the doctor informed us that because of a rash of recent "premies" the hospital did not have any free ventilators in case of an emergency. So, at three in the morning Kendra was packed into an ambulance and taken to a University Hospital an hour and a half away. Once there they continued the antibiotics, but also gave her steroids and Magnesium Sulfate. The steroids were to help the babies lungs develop, and the Magnesium to try and stop the contractions long enough for the steroids to take effect. They had hoped for at least 24 hours of dosage, but because Kendra's water had already broke, the inhibitor could only slow the contractions at best. After 12 hours they decided to take her off the Magnesium Sulfate and let things proceed naturally.

At 6:00PM Kendra was prepped and taken into the C-Section Delivery Room. It has become a standard practice to expect a possible C-Section for the delivery of twins. Fortunately one was not needed here (but might have been easier in the long run). After 2 hours of waiting, Kendra finally started "active labor" (pushing). Unfortunately, this lasted for almost *four* hours. Finally at 11:55PM "twin A" was born, and ten minutes later "twin B". To add to the oddity of it all, twin B while still in the uterus some time before, had somehow tied a knot into its own umbilical cord. From what I understand, this is somewhat rare. (I have a photo of this I can email if anyone would like to see) Not even born and he's already doing rope tricks!

The bad news. Because of the exceptionally long labor, Kendra suffered some serious internal lacerations. She was in surgery for another two hours to try and repair these. Now, a couple days later, while still sore, she is doing very well. Kendra will be discharged Saturday, but will stay in an attending room at the hospital until the babies are able to be transfered.

Matthew (twin A) is doing very well. Lucas (twin B) on the other hand has a few minor complications. His blood seems to be a bit "thick" as well as having low glucose levels making him a bit lethargic. Both of these are being treated. He also is having a little difficulty breathing, but that too is being augmented and improving. It is not known if the knot in the umbilical cord is at fault or not. In any case, day by day things are looking very good for him. Both babies will hopefully be transfered next week to our own hospital were they will stay for another two or so for observations.

Like I said, quite an ordeal. I will keep you all up to date.
Best in Magic,

Michael Sibbernsen

http://waterloomagic.com
info@waterloomagic.com

Pete Biro

Re: Baby Announcement

Postby Pete Biro » June 7th, 2002, 5:11 pm

Wonderful news and I hope all works out good, as I know it will.... :)
Stay tooned.

Craig Matsuoka

Postby Craig Matsuoka » June 7th, 2002, 5:22 pm

Congratulations! Glad to hear Lucas is improving.

Dave Shepherd

Postby Dave Shepherd » June 7th, 2002, 5:43 pm

Michael, I wish you and your wife all the best!

Scott

Postby Scott » June 7th, 2002, 6:31 pm

Don't know you Michael, but best of luck. The story has started now. I can't wait to hear the latest updates of how everyone is progressing.

Keep us informed!

Terry

Postby Terry » June 8th, 2002, 6:11 am

Talk about true Miracles!!

Agree with Scott, keep us posted on how Momma and babies are doing.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » June 8th, 2002, 7:52 am

True magic Michael. Congratulations to you and your wife.

Matt Field

M. Sibbernsen

Postby M. Sibbernsen » June 8th, 2002, 11:39 am

Thank you so much for the thoughts and comments.

I just posted an on-line photo album of the boys. Note that these are pictures of "premies". I only mention it because someone on another board seemed not to be able to stomach such a thing. Strange. Anyway, enjoy and thanks agian.

Photo Album- The Five of Midnight Twins

John Pezzullo

Postby John Pezzullo » June 8th, 2002, 2:05 pm

Michael,

Congratulations to you and your wife. I hope that each day brings your family love, health, and happiness.

In my mind I can picture Matthew and Lucas performing as "The Sibbernsens - The Mindreading Twins" in the not too distant future.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 8th, 2002, 5:35 pm

Well, Michael, congratulations and welcome to the club. You will face endless joy ahead, but also lots of frustration--be prepared for both!
My fellow publishers of Genii, the Solomons, also have twin boys, now just over a year old. They were also preemies, and one was born with a broken arm! They are perfectly fine now, beautiful children, and I'm sure they'll have all of us eating out of their hands shortly.
Best to you and your wife!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Scott

Postby Scott » June 9th, 2002, 7:25 pm

LOL....to funny on the web page with the mid reading caption.

37.....too funny! Kids and Mom look great. Better enjoy your sleep now, as it's all about to end for many years.

M. Sibbernsen

Postby M. Sibbernsen » June 16th, 2002, 2:22 am

A sincere thank you for all the nice comments, thoughts, and prayers we have received here on The Genii Forum, via email, and on the other boards I have posted. Kendra and I greatly appreciate them.

Update:

Both boys are still in the same hospital, not yet ready to be transfered. After going though some difficult moments and treatments including spells of not breathing, high bilirubin counts, lack of processing food, infections, spinal taps, and countless IV's, things are really starting to look up. Both twins are off the phototherapy lights and assisted oxygen. They are processing food well, with increased sized meals everyday while slowly weaning off the IV nutrition packs. Both boys have gained a bit of weight and their skin tone looks very good. Both twins should be removed from the isolets (incubator-looking boxes) within a day or two, and (hopefully) be ready for a transfer to our local hospital next week.

My wife Kendra is doing very well, and staying in an attending room at the hospital so to watch and care for the twins. She will stay as long as they need to.

New pictures of the Matthew and Lucas can be found in the online photo album at:

http://homepage.mac.com/magicshow/PhotoAlbum6.html

Postby Guest » June 16th, 2002, 8:47 pm

To Michael, Kendra, Lucas, and Matthew,

I hope and pray that all continues to go well and that you will all soon be healthy, happy and at home together.

Return to “Buzz”