Martin Nash book reprints

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Terry

Martin Nash book reprints

Postby Terry » February 12th, 2002, 9:22 am

Received an email from Brian Hades that the reprints of Martin A Nash's 3 earlier books, have been delayed due to photo problems. They scanned the original photos and had problems, so they are switching to drawings instead. As Pete says, Stay toooned.......

Bill Duncan

Re: Martin Nash book reprints

Postby Bill Duncan » February 12th, 2002, 11:03 pm

For those who haven't seen the Nash trilogy this is great news. I just went through them recently and there's a ton of great material and work.

Start saving your money guys!

Terry

Postby Terry » February 13th, 2002, 9:06 am

I just picked up a 1979 1st edition of Vol 3 in the trilogy from EBay.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » February 13th, 2002, 6:14 pm

Look at page 405.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » February 13th, 2002, 9:28 pm

Originally posted by Terry:
I just picked up a 1979 1st edition of Vol 3 in the trilogy from EBay.

Yeah, you outbid me. By bidding NINETEEN SECONDS before the auction closed. How am I supposed to respond to that???????? <G>

Also, since I don't have the book (thanks to Terry . . . ), what the heck is on page 405???

Bill Mullins

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 13th, 2002, 10:21 pm

Hey Bill, no offense to Terry, but I usually respond to snipers on eBay with loud obscenities yelled at the computer.
This is what I have learned about eBay: Bid exactly the highest price you would pay for an item and then do NOT look at the auction again. If you win, you'll receive a notice and you will have paid what you felt the item was worth.
Otherwise, no crying if someone snipes you in the last moments ... I've had to do that on occassion and managed to burn a few butts along the way.
My friend Joel Miller once outbid me on a really rare SS Adams magic set from 1919 in the last 4 seconds ... and he's my friend!
There are no friends in the world of auctions, so dog eat dog AND YOU'RE ALL FILTHY BASTARDS!!!!!!!!
AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Gee, it's awful late at night. Perhaps I'll go to sleep now. :) :)
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » February 13th, 2002, 10:47 pm

> what the heck is on page 405???
One of my favorites... "Machine-Gun Centers!"

It's part of a trilogy of "for magician only" sucker tricks. You need to do a half decent center deal (but not a Kennedy center!).

Do you do any false deals?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 13th, 2002, 11:03 pm

I dream of doing false deals on the heads of people who snipe me on eBay ...
Oh ... that's right ... I was supposed to be going to sleep.

Terry

Postby Terry » February 14th, 2002, 9:33 am

Hey Bill, no offense to Terry, but I usually respond to snipers on eBay with loud obscenities yelled at the computer.

First to Bill...sorry about that. I also wanted the original before the line drawing re-issue came out.

Secondly to Richard...I didn't intentionally snipe. I had been bidding on the book and happen to check on it and saw I had been outbid. I actually had 51 seconds to re-bid.

I agree with Richard on the bidding. I usually set a price I'm willing to pay and set by max bid at that.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » February 14th, 2002, 3:44 pm

Terry -- No offense taken. Like Richard says, bid what you want to pay, then go to sleep. I've been ebaying (is that a word?) for over two years, and that lesson took a while to learn. I was just having a little Forum Fun at your expense.

But geez, 51 seconds. I mean, give a guy a break.

(and the ebay clock logged it at 19 secs: http://cgi6.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.d ... 1071670297 )

Ebay will notify you that you have been outbid, so they secretly want you to go back and boost your bid. It's just that they take several hours to do so, some times, so notifications of "snipes" are worthless.

Some phone auctions I have participated in have a set closing time, but if you have already bid, you may always bid for fifteen minutes (or some arbitrary time) after the most recent prior bid. The catch is that the minimum increment doubles. So in the case of the subject auction, I'd have had 15 minutes after Terry's bid to get in another bid, and then he would have had 15 minutes, etc. until one of us gave up. I don't know why Ebay doesn't do this, since it would tend to increase the final sales price, and benefit the seller (who is ebay's real customer -- buyers don't mean diddly squat to ebay).

Terry, enjoy the book (and those photos of Martin and his styling clothes and bracelets -- they remind me of the photo of Richard Kaufman on the cover of the Gene Maze card book. Richard was one hip dude in the disco era -- has your wife seen those pics???)

Bill Mullins

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 14th, 2002, 6:31 pm

SSSSSSsssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Terry

Postby Terry » February 15th, 2002, 6:40 am

Hey Bill. EBay has my home email so I didn't get the outbid notice and I happened out to the auction on break at work. Just by chance got out there before close. I lost a excellent copy of Daryl's "Secrets of a Puerto Rican Gambler" 2 months ago on a last minute bid. Guy got it for $35 - $40.

No comment on Richard's duds...we all looked like that back in the 70's/80's. My old High School dance photos are locked away safely!!!!! :D

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » February 15th, 2002, 7:57 am

I just pulled out my High School annual, class of 1980. I hereby retract all comments about personal appearance.

Think "Ernie" from My Three Sons, only not so suave and debonair. (I'm an electrical engineer, and I almost didn't get in because I'm too geeky looking).

Fortunately, Richard K turned out to be Mandy Patinkin's double.

Bill

Terry

Postby Terry » February 15th, 2002, 8:59 am

I just pulled out my High School annual, class of 1980. I hereby retract all comments about personal appearance.

Wow Bill, you were 1 year ahead of me getting out of the institution of questionable learning. Appearance...told ya so! :D

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » February 15th, 2002, 11:17 am

I don't know about you guys, but there's a difference between 70's and 80's clothes to me!

Disco vs. New Wave...wide vs. narrow..etc.

Terry

Postby Terry » February 16th, 2002, 4:55 am

Actually Jeff, not everyone was caught up in the mindless disco or new wave faze. There were "middle of the roaders" who wore regular clothes for each time period. Of course, today, those clothes are back in "style" whatever that is.

Return to “Buzz”