Bruce Cervon Has Died

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Bruce Cervon Has Died

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 24th, 2007, 7:44 am

Bruce Cervon died last night after battling throat cancer since last August. He was student of both Vernon and Marlo and an excellent magician.
Through Mike Caveney and L&L, he published several books of original material and also material on Dai Vernon.
He is survived by his wife and two daughters.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Re: Bruce Cervon Has Died

Postby Guest » May 24th, 2007, 8:09 am

How horrible. I have known he was sick for a while now, but I was still shocked when I read the headline to this thread.

Bruce and I werent friends, but I was lucky enough to be able to talk to him on a few occasions at the magic castle. We talked about some of his moves and effects that I was performing. He was always such a nice guy, and eager to give helpful tips.

His close up and parlour shows were some of the best that I have seen, he was an interesting guy to watch perform.

His attitude when performing is priceless. If you have seen him perform, or if you know him, you know what I mean by that.

The magic community and the magic castle has lost one of the greats. A sad day for magic.

Postby Guest » May 24th, 2007, 9:31 am

Horrible news. I never got to meet Bruce but had some correspondance with him and he was always generous and helpful to a fault. I really enjoy his work -- he was a great magician and creator. The magic world has lost another super talent.

Gordon Bean

Postby Gordon Bean » May 24th, 2007, 10:48 am

Bruce Cervon is one of the all-time greats, with his name inscribed up there with but a few peers.

If theres any doubt, go back to Out of His Mind, which David Regal included with his definitive interview in the October, 2004 Genii. It is a masterpiece, pure and simple, and was one of the two effects Bruce chose to perform when receiving a special fellowship from the Academy of Magical Arts some years back.

Making this especially revealing of Bruces character is that its as demanding a performance piece as any I can think of. At the pinnacle of his career, surrounded by a sea of banquet tables, he stood in the spotlight and gave a flawless performance.

For me, he'll always live in that spotlight, brilliant and fearless.

Mark Collier

Postby Mark Collier » May 24th, 2007, 11:36 am

Watching Bruce Cervon work the Parlour at the Magic Castle with the Linking Finger Rings was a lesson in showmanship.

Talk about packs small and plays big. He involved the whole room with each link.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » May 24th, 2007, 2:29 pm

THIS IS TERRIBLE NEWS... I don't know what to say. Having known Bruce for many many years it will be difficult to realize he didn't make it against his cancer.

Few performers anywhere had the skill and dedication. It was an incredible treat for me to see a bit of my material in his repertoire... for that I will thank him to the end of my run.

RIP Bruce you have been and will continue to be missed... :( :( :(
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » May 24th, 2007, 6:26 pm

I am extremely saddened by this news. Mr. Cervon was someone I really admired and only got to meet once or twice in passing. My condolences to his family and his many close friends.

JMT

magicking
Favorite Magician: Tommy Wonder

Postby magicking » May 24th, 2007, 7:38 pm

My condolences to his family..He will be missed. Is there any contact info for the family to send a card or and email or something?
Michael King
All Things Are Possible If You Believe!

Rick Ruhl

Postby Rick Ruhl » May 24th, 2007, 8:45 pm

This really hit me in the heart. He was a great guy.

I can see him now, in Magic Heaven, doing stuff with Verson.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » May 24th, 2007, 9:55 pm

This is sad news indeed. Bruce and I had our differences: He pissed me off more than once and I pissed him off more than once. But later wed always seemed to agree to disagree (because it was always about Castle politics BS) and then he would show me whatever hed been working on lately (and inevitably fool the hell out of me). I dont think Ive met anyone who took more pleasure in fooling the crap out of another magician. Ill miss his easy laugh and his stories about his early Castle days. Ill never forget the way he would shoo me away from The Professor back in my early days at the Castle (it was a polite shoo, but it was a shoo nonetheless). Today it makes me smile. He loved magic and the Magic Castle and that love will be missed.

Dustin

Postby Guest » May 24th, 2007, 10:50 pm

Wow. I just heard. I'm saddened.

J Bright

Postby J Bright » May 24th, 2007, 11:45 pm

About 6 years ago I saw Bruce lecture in Orange County, CA. He focused on the classics of magic. Linking rings, cut and restored rope routine, etc. All brilliantly performed and explained.

For those who wanted more, he sat down and taught a great version of copper-silver-brass and the FREE TURN PASS. He also told stories of times with Jennings, Vernon, and other past greats.

He was of course asked if there would be another Vernon book. I can't remember his answer verbatim, but he suggested there was enough material.

In addition to the Genii cover story, check out "The Enlightened Magicians" for a great interview with him.

Jon

Postby Guest » May 25th, 2007, 2:07 am

Hi, everyone. If you want to send a card or message of condolence, you can send them to Linda Cervon c/o The Magic Castle Board of Trustees, 7001 Franklin Avenue, Hollywood, California 90028 and I will make sure she gets them. There are no plans for a funeral.

Aloha, Bruce.

Mark Nelson

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » May 25th, 2007, 2:17 am

I never met Bruce in the flesh, but we began correspoding after I posted something on Joe Stevens' Gemini Network about "Jennings '67", a book I edited. After we battled over who invented "Invisible Palm Aces" I told Bruce how much I admired his book "Hard Boiled Mysteries". I would, from time to time, send him material I thought he'd be interested in. He always found time for a reply.

He was always gracious and helpful. When he became ill and sent out his mass "health update" mailing I hoped he would be able to beat the cancer.

Alas, this was not to be so. He has contributed much to magic and I will miss him.

Matt Field

Postby Guest » May 25th, 2007, 9:18 am

It's was sad moment for me to hear of Bruce's death yesterday. My favorite close-up effect to perform still remains his version of Warp on pg. 88 of Ultra Cervon. I saw him once when he came to my work to perform at a special lunch meeting. He will be missed.

Terry

Postby Terry » May 25th, 2007, 1:52 pm

Magic has lost one of the good ones.

I got to meet both Bruce and Jim Patton at the Salt Lake IBM just before the Professor passed. He was willing to take the time to talk with anyone who approached him and was extremely friendly.

R.I.P.

Geno Munari

Postby Geno Munari » May 25th, 2007, 7:06 pm

He will always be remembered. Not just a magician but an entertaining personality. Bruce was top shelf and unique.
I really enjoyed his style and act.

Postby Guest » May 26th, 2007, 12:16 pm

Though I never met him but I have high respect for his work. He will greatly be missed.

malbright

Postby malbright » May 26th, 2007, 2:23 pm

The first time I ever saw a magic show in-person I was almost 12 years old. A magician who befriended me snuck me into the Castle on a Sunday night, where I waited in the backstage area of the Close-Up Gallery until each show began. That magician was Bruce, and his was the first show of the evening. It blew my mind. Of course, the other acts that night weren't bad eitherThe Professor and Slydini. Imagine that lineup for your first night of magic. Is it any wonder I became hooked?

For years after that, Bruce would sneak me into the Castle at night, letting me stay backstage, chatting with me between sets and sometimes even bringing me food. It was one of the most exciting times of my life. He was always extremely kind and generous to me, spending many hours showing me moves and gently correcting my mistakes. Bruce introduced me to the Professor, Crandall, Carlyle and many others. We've remained friends for almost 40-years. Every time I saw Bruce he was extremely warm, encouraging and interested, and he never failed to show me some wonderful trick or move he was working on.

As little as a few weeks ago I begged Bruce to please let me come and visit, but he just wasn't up for it. I wanted so much to see him one more time and tell him again how much he meant to me.

Because Bruce was so kind to me as a kid, it changed my life, opening up the world of magic, creative thinking and many wonderful friendships. His passing feels as though I've lost a big part of myself and my personal history.

No doubt Bruce was a controversial character, and later in life, I didn't always agree with his choices. But Bruce had a profound influence on my life and I will be eternally grateful to him for being a superlative role model when I really needed one. Say what you like, but Bruce will always be one of my heroes. You will be missed, bro.

Postby Guest » May 28th, 2007, 4:23 pm

This is very sad news. Bruce was an asset to the magic community. He will be missed.

Postby Guest » May 29th, 2007, 12:47 pm

One more item to add to the news here:

Linda Cervon has requested, in lieu of flowers, that donations be made in Bruce's name to The Dai Vernon Fund c/o The Magic Castle, 7001 Franklin Avenue, Hollywood, CA 90028, or to The American Cancer Society.

No funeral is planned. Cards and letters sent to the Board of Trustees at The Magic Castle will be forwarded to Linda.

Thanks very much.

Postby Guest » June 4th, 2007, 10:21 am

'Perfect Speller' from The Cervon File is one of my favourite revelations of a chosen card.
I don't think this particular Lie Detection method can be improved upon?
The spectator can lie the truth, can be inconsistent, and can try to double-bluff...but all to no avail.

Postby Guest » June 4th, 2007, 11:13 am

I meet Bruce and Linda 15years ago when they moved to Ventura, I owned a furniture store and they were shopping for their daughter who was married recently. I was always a huge fan of magic and use to visit las Vegas just to see Michael skinner at the golden nugget,a name I am sure you remember. When I discover Bruce is a performing magician, I was simply over joyed. I heard of this place called the magic castle but it remains a fantasy to ever visit there. when Bruce found out during our first meeting, he graciously made a reservation for me and how should I say it, it was love at first visit. This began a 15 year long friendship between the Cevrons and myself. I have been to the castle dozens of times since then, xmas parties, birthdays and many occasions ;Bruce always made the reservations so a layman like me can go to a magical place like the castle. Bruce has always treated me like an old friend and thru the years we have had many conversations and he always was insightful, kind and most of all generous and sincere. I had the pleasure of having him perform for my family at my mother's 80th birthday a few years back in Las Vegas as my mother is also a fan of his. He is a permanent part of my family's memory and made our life that much more exciting . I shall miss him as will my family, the world have lost a very kind, loving and talented human being.
Roy Wong

Postby Guest » June 4th, 2007, 9:36 pm

I will be performing at the Magic Castle the week of July 2 to July 8, in the Close Up Gallery. In honor of Bruce's memory, I will be performing his DIRTY DEAL routine.

Respectfully,

Paul Green

Postby Guest » June 21st, 2007, 1:52 am

I have an obituary to Bruce cut from the Ventura County Star of June 2,sent me by a relative residing there. Quite long, about 700 words I guess and there's much about Vernon and his books. Although I expect interested Americans have seen this I thought I would mention it in case anyone interested has not and I'll e-mail it to you.

Anthony Brahams

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » June 21st, 2007, 2:47 am

Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » June 21st, 2007, 5:59 am

Does anyone know the title of "among them a volume on magic which fascinated the boy" in the article?

Postby Guest » June 21st, 2007, 6:25 am

I think it was LATER MAGIC by Hoffman. See Regal's splendid article-interview in Genii (October-2004).
Onward...

Postby Guest » June 21st, 2007, 6:27 am

Steve,

From Bart Whaley's 'WHO'S WHO IN MAGIC":

Soon self-taught from Gilbert Mysto Magic set and the card section reprint from Hoffmann's MODERN MAGIC.
This may the volume that's being referred to in the obituary.

Regards,

John

Return to “Buzz”