Stephen King Reviews the Kindle

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Stephen King Reviews the Kindle

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 26th, 2008, 8:43 pm

Look Here for author Stephen King's thoughts on reading ebooks on Amazon's Kindle:
http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20172616,00.html
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Cugel

Re: Stephen King Reviews the Kindle

Postby Cugel » January 27th, 2008, 1:41 pm

I'm no fan of .pdf books and lectures notes downloaded to your PC laptop or palm pilot because it usually means lower quality (especially with many of the half-assed lecture notes we've seen)... but this has me intrigued. The view quality and the dimensions make it seem like something I could imagine reading on the lounge or at bedtime.

On the other hand, I expect that if there is a greater trend to publish online it will either mean that authors make less money due to piracy or they'll make more (if the piracy thing is manageable) through direct selling from their own sites.

King can afford to be relaxed about it of course - he's made his dough and had real books published.

I think that latter issue is an important element for some authors. There's a thrill to being able to hold a real honest to god book with your name on it.

Eoin O'hare

Postby Eoin O'hare » January 28th, 2008, 3:46 pm

Here is a review with a little more depth. LINK
Designer & Maker of The Stripper Jig Card Trimmer

Alexander Crawford

Postby Alexander Crawford » August 15th, 2008, 11:08 am

The Kindle isn't much good for the magic world because it doesn't read PDF format.
I recommend you look at The Iliad from http://www.irextechnologies.com/
It's expensive because it doesn't have the volume sales of the Amazon Kindle or the cross-subsidy from ebook sales, particularly so for USD earners at the current exchange rate, but I can highly recommend it if you can afford it.

With content available from Racherbaumer, Wasshauber et al, you'll need a big CF card to stick in the top!

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » August 15th, 2008, 11:50 am

How are folks doing implementing scripts to alter the text/graphics dynamically... for obvious conjuring applications like a wireless confabulation etc?

???

J
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Gordon Meyer
Favorite Magician: Uri

Postby Gordon Meyer » August 15th, 2008, 11:54 am

The Iliad is the one to consider, if it weren't so expensive. The problem with the Kindle and the Sony Reader is that they don't display PDF in a usable way. I had a Sony Reader for a while and found it unusable for this reason. My write-up is here:

http://www.43folders.com/2007/11/11/my- ... ony-reader

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 16th, 2008, 10:20 am

I was under the impression that the newer versions of the Sony reader did allow you to load and view pdf files.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

John Signa

Postby John Signa » August 16th, 2008, 11:46 am

They can, but the key phrase was "in a usable way." The problem is that most PDFs are formatted for 8.5x11, not the Reader's smaller screen.

Larry Barnowsky

Postby Larry Barnowsky » August 16th, 2008, 3:27 pm

I bought my wife the Kindle last week. She is a voracious reader who can devour a large book in a day. When we travel, our luggage would be filled with her books. Now she can upload books from Amazon wirelessly through the free cellular connection they provide. Instead of a dozen books to carry, she travels with the Kindle with as many titles as she wants. The screen is very kind to the eyes and you can adjust the font with five choices of size. It remembers your last page and you can write notes using the tiny keyboard at the bottom. She ordered one book as a sample. They sent her wirelessly directly to the Kindle the first chapter. She didn't like it so there was no charge for the sample chapter. Your Kindle book purchases are stores on Amazon too so if you lose your Kindle your purchased books are still yours to download to your new Kindle. The screen is not backlit. The brighter the light, the brighter is the screen. It's fine in bright sunlight unlike an LCD screen. The battery can run the unit for days without recharging. She'll still buy regular books but carrying around a library of hundreds of books in a 9 ounce package is very appealing.

Although the Kindle reader isn't designed with pdfs in mind, you can copy a pdf to the clipboard and paste it in a word document. That can be imported into the Kindle by USB cable or you can send it to the Kindle website where they will send it back wirelessly to your Kindle in the proper format.

Larry
Magica Analytica
barnowskymagic.com

Danny Archer

Postby Danny Archer » August 18th, 2008, 1:10 pm

My brother has a Kindle and he loves it... these early models are like 78 phonograph records... the technology will improve quickly I believe...
Producer of MINDvention
mentalism convention

Naphtalia

Postby Naphtalia » August 18th, 2008, 1:38 pm

I have a few friends who have them. All love them. I'll wait for the time being, but am eager for the time I get one.
Naphtalia

Impropriety is the soul of wit.

Eoin O'hare

Postby Eoin O'hare » August 18th, 2008, 2:23 pm

I'm waiting for this.
Designer & Maker of The Stripper Jig Card Trimmer

Return to “Buzz”