SHADE Release

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Charlie Chang

SHADE Release

Postby Charlie Chang » May 1st, 2004, 2:09 am

RKO informs me that Shade is now open in Chicago, Miami, Philly and one other that the RKO executive couldn't remember (!).

P.

Ian Kendall

Re: SHADE Release

Postby Ian Kendall » May 1st, 2004, 6:34 am

Any news of a UK release?

Take care, Ian

Charlie Chang

Postby Charlie Chang » May 1st, 2004, 3:26 pm

European rights were sold to a company called Cobalt who have since gone under. Word is that UK distribution is still possible but I've heard nothing solid.

The pirate version being sold in the UK (and probably elsewhere) is NOT the final version of the film. Damian's version festures more a more appropriate soundtrack and a sharper cut.

Personal note: While I can't blame fellow magicians for downloading or buying pirate copies (I would no doubt do the same) I was VERY disappointed to hear that a certain UK magician had gone so far as to make copies and sell them at a recent UK convention.

Currently the version handed over to the international market is not the final cut. It was delivered months before Damian was able to return to the editing bay and finish his work. If the new avenue for the UK pans out, it will almost certainly be Damian's version.

Having seen every cut to date, I can assure you the delay is worth getting the current version out to the public.

P.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 1st, 2004, 5:40 pm

Hey Paul, tell the schmucks at RKO that there are people living in Washington, DC, too--you know, the nation's capitol? :)
I'll wait for the DVD in a few weeks ....
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Steve V

Postby Steve V » May 1st, 2004, 5:51 pm

Hey, whey you DC guys finally get statehood we'll let you have movies.
Steve V
Steve V

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » May 2nd, 2004, 1:43 am

At least we might get the proper version...

I notice that the DVD comes out on 25 May, the same day as Return of the King. It's going to be an expensive week.

Take care, Ian

John Smetana

Postby John Smetana » May 2nd, 2004, 9:29 am

Originally posted by R P Wilson:
Personal note: While I can't blame fellow magicians for downloading or buying pirate copies (I would no doubt do the same) I was VERY disappointed to hear that a certain UK magician had gone so far as to make copies and sell them at a recent UK convention.

P. [/QB]
I'm really surprised and disappointed with the view shared by Mr Wilson that downloading or buying pirated "stuff" is, sort of OK, as long as you don't sell it. What a shame

Best thoughts,
John Smetana

Postby Guest » May 2nd, 2004, 10:33 am

It is sad to hear that a UK magic dealer (I wonder who he is? Certainly not me!) has been selling pirate copies of the DVD at UK conventions. He should be hounded and prosecuted for copyright piracy. If someone knows who it is drop me a line and I will ensure that his stall at any UK convention is checked out thoroughly by the convention organisers.
Most magicians are clear that making copies of CDs and DVDs and audio cassettes and selling them is illegal but the concept of making a copy of something for a friend or loaning an item to someone who will clearly copy it doesn't seem to be something to avoid. Videos and similar items end up in Magic Club libraries and one video sold to the secretary of a magic club can possibly result in 10 or more unauthorised copies being made.
I know that a lot of magicians don't see making copies of products as anything wrong because I was visiting the Magic Castle and discussing my audio releases with two very pleasant magicians. They were comparing notes as to which of my products they owned and in front of me one of them told the other that he was missing a couple of items. "That's no problem," he said smiling at me as if doing me a favour, "I can make him some copies of mine and that will save him having to buy them."
"That's a brilliant idea. If everyone in this room did that I would probably be out of business," was my reply.
Even the Magic Circle allowed the members to take books from the Special Collection room to the photocopier located a few paces away to photocopy pages or the entire book. The Magic Circle was also the place where all of my products could be purchased at bargain prices from a member who attended the meetings to gather in orders. Even my closest magical friends refused to give me the name of this criminal and I was so upset by the entire scenario that I left the Magic Circle. So I do ask people to remember that it is not the correct thing to do to allow friends to make copies of their cherished magical items. This simply reduces the number of items sold and gradually makes it less and less while to invest in the production of videos, CDs, audio cassettes, DVds and books. Rant over!!!!

Charlie Chang

Postby Charlie Chang » May 2nd, 2004, 12:40 pm

In response to John Smetana - I was obviously empathising with the motivations behind OBTAINING illegal copies NOT condoning them.

The fact you chose to lean on my opening remarks rather than the fact someone else was actively distributing pirate copies is a lot more telling. If you were really concerned with the issue of piracy, distribution should upset you a lot more than my attempt to be diplomatic while raising the matter on a public forum.

I do NOT condone piracy or theft. Hopefully this now clear - even to John.

P.

Postby Guest » May 8th, 2004, 1:18 pm

Hi fellow Magi, i hate to bust your bubble.But i already own Shade.It has been released here in Germany on DVD for about 3-4 Weeks.I love the movie.Wish they would make more of them.Wait and see for yourself.So long
Greetings from Augsburg,Germany
M.Wood

Jason England

Postby Jason England » May 8th, 2004, 4:04 pm

Originally posted by M.WOOD:
Hi fellow Magi, i hate to bust your bubble.But i already own Shade.It has been released here in Germany on DVD for about 3-4 Weeks.I love the movie.Wish they would make more of them.Wait and see for yourself.So long
Greetings from Augsburg,Germany
M.Wood
Uh, I hate to burst your bubble, but no you don't! You have the overseas release, and it's the crap version. The good version is the US cut and it won't be out for another month or so.

Jason

PS: Glad you liked the movie, and thanks for talking it up, every little bit helps. I'm just busting on you a bit about the overseas release. It is a legitimate DVD, but the US version is much better.

Postby Guest » May 30th, 2004, 10:11 pm

Hi all,

Wanted to let you all know that I saw the DVD in the local Wal-Mart yesterday, so it is now available.

Blessings,

bob

dwmagic

Postby dwmagic » May 30th, 2004, 11:13 pm

Is the current DVD ,Damiens intended cut?
Damon

Postby Guest » May 31st, 2004, 7:03 am

Shade is available for rent from Block Busters up here in Canada. I watched it a couple of times this weekend.

For Magicians it's a fun ride through magical history.

It's worth it just to see: Jason England do the 21 card trick :) , the out takes of Paul Wilson's false dealing, and the end credits (look closely after Dolly Grip and Best Boy Grip).

Cheers,
Dave

Michael Edwards

Postby Michael Edwards » May 31st, 2004, 11:38 am

Dave, I had to laugh when I saw "mechanic's grip" in the credits!!!!

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 31st, 2004, 12:55 pm

Yes, for the 80th time, the DVD release in the United States is the director's cut.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » May 31st, 2004, 2:08 pm

In another forum I've just seen someone asking where they can get a 'jew stack' deck with the markings on the back.

I explained, patiently, that is was a 'Juice Deck'...it's a good thing it's not a magic forum :)

Take care, Ian
(patiently awaiting his DVD from the yooess)

dwmagic

Postby dwmagic » May 31st, 2004, 4:25 pm

Sorry Richard, i missed the other posts letting us know the DVD release is the directors cut. Thanks for clearing that up.
There was a lot going on with Damien and the studio and there were a few versions around.

troublewit

Postby troublewit » June 3rd, 2004, 8:45 pm

A question.....in the special features section of the dvd, Paul Wilson performs a very visual transformation of a fan of "indifferent cards" into the royal flush in spades. Is this move in print somewhere? It looks like trick photography. Thanks
Christopher Klocek
337 N Wood St
Griffith, In 46319
219-765-7123
troublewit@aol.com

Postby Guest » June 3rd, 2004, 8:54 pm

Originally posted by troublewit:
A question.....in the special features section of the dvd, Paul Wilson performs a very visual transformation of a fan of "indifferent cards" into the royal flush in spades. Is this move in print somewhere? It looks like trick photography. Thanks
That is Bob Koch's "Visual Poker Hand Change," which was first published in 1968 in MARLO ON THE ACROBATIC CARD.

Bill Evans

Postby Bill Evans » June 8th, 2004, 8:03 am

Just got my DVD in the mail yesterday and watched it twice last night. I really enjoyed it. All involved did a great job with the magic to gambling relationship/transition. Some great inside lines too. My favorite [which I won't tip and spoil it for you] was spoken by Charlie Miller at the big card game. Laughed out loud on that one.

There are so many great gambling sleights executed in the opening and closing sequences, expertly done...wow!.... but one I have a question on is the deck switch done during the film by [I assume] Paul Wilson, bringing in the cooler in a stepped condition so that it looks like the deck in play was cut and replaced in an unsquare condition. What a great idea. It is exposed from the side for the camera, but I'm wondering what it looks like from the spectators view. I only assume it is very deceptive. Whose is it and how practical would it be for magical purposes?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 8th, 2004, 10:24 am

Paul Wilson is not performing Bob Koch's version with acrobatic cards--it is his own handling.

Steve Snediker

Postby Steve Snediker » June 8th, 2004, 10:59 am

You can spot Paul Wilson ringing in the stacked deck in a long shot of the table during the first pass through continuity of the Jennings con. It is very innocuous from that distance.

I will happily locate the run time position of the shot when I can get at my DVD and a player.

Sned

Postby Guest » June 15th, 2004, 7:46 pm

Richard, I'm curious why you think that Paul Wilson is not doing my poker hand change that uses acrobatic cards? If you run it frame-by-frame, you can see the flap landing on his thumb. Sure looks like mine to me. Fill me in.

There is one difference, I never ran my thumb over the cards. Made correctly, it isn't necessary. By relaxing your grip, the cards will change automatically. I think the running of the thumb started when Paul Diamond stole the effect and started selling it as "Zapped." That's the only way it would work because they weren't made correctly.

Who knows, if people want them, I might start making them again. Bob

Craig Matsuoka

Postby Craig Matsuoka » June 15th, 2004, 8:39 pm

Paul Wilson posted about this earlier.

See this thread-
http://geniimagazine.com/forum/noncgi/u ... 0;t=000925

Quote:

"Incidentally - the ZAP change IS indeed Bob Koch's Zapped. Before shooting the opening titles, however, I was not sure we would get the gaffed cards in time so I developed an easier method that looks almost exactly the same (and has many powerful variations) but ends with examinable cards. I have been improving on this for many months and the final version will appear soon (titled "FAN 2-C")."

Jason England

Postby Jason England » June 15th, 2004, 9:10 pm

Actually what Paul did was indeed Bob's Visual Poker Hand Change (aka Zapped).

However, Paul Wilson does have a great version of this where the cards are examinable immediately upon hitting the table or being handed to the spectator.

It's for sale (or will be soon) on his website.

Jason

Jason England

Postby Jason England » June 15th, 2004, 9:12 pm

Originally posted by Bill Evans:
... but one I have a question on is the deck switch done during the film by [I assume] Paul Wilson, bringing in the cooler in a stepped condition so that it looks like the deck in play was cut and replaced in an unsquare condition. What a great idea. It is exposed from the side for the camera, but I'm wondering what it looks like from the spectators view. I only assume it is very deceptive. Whose is it and how practical would it be for magical purposes?
This move was indeed done by Paul and it is stepped purposefully for the reason stated above.

Fans of the Steve Forte tapes probably recognized it as one of the deck switches from his series.

Jason

Charlie Chang

Postby Charlie Chang » June 16th, 2004, 1:25 pm

The poker change is indeed Bob Koch's effect which I have always known as Zapped.

During the shoot I developed my own handling in case the cards I ordered did not arrive. It looks just like Zapped but ends clean (and they really want to see those cards!) it is also easier to set up in front of the audience and has many applications (the cahange can even happen in the spectator's hand).

I call this Fan-2-C and intend to market it soon, once I find someone to make the gaffs. If Mr Koch is thinking of releasing his version again, I highly recommend getting one from him. The Koch version is self contained and makes a stunning visual interlude.

P.

Charlie Chang

Postby Charlie Chang » June 16th, 2004, 1:36 pm

Regarding the deck switch I use in Shade:

This is indeed a version of a switch from the Forte tapes. The move looks great but is designed to mimic a moment from live play. Most good deck switches fit perfectly into the game they are designed for. This often makes them less useful for magic purposes. If you need a good switch for magic, turn to the magic literature for more switches than you'll ever need. Elmsley's Dazzle act has some very useful work for magicians.

The key to a good deck switch is motivation. If the actions are natural - EVEN if you go to a pocket or bag - the switch will fly by. as magicians we have much more latitude than cheaters when it comes to sleights.

P.

Return to “Buzz”