John Calvert at the Magic Castle

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.

John Calvert at the Magic Castle

Postby Guest » December 4th, 2007, 1:00 pm

I did not get the chance to see Mr. Calvert at the Magic Castle last week. Did anybody get over there to catch his show?

I know that when I last saw him a few years back, he was waaaaay up there in age but still had the charisma of a young celebrity in their prime. It was a joy to watch a true showman from the golden age.

Pete Biro

Re: John Calvert at the Magic Castle

Postby Pete Biro » December 4th, 2007, 1:22 pm

He's 96 and going strong. I saw him but not perform.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » December 4th, 2007, 4:17 pm

John Calvert is one of my heroes. I had this photo taken with him when he was 90 years old. That was 6 years ago, and he is still more amazing than ever. An example to us all, and a true legend! JR

http://www.comicmagician.com/Large%20Ro ... alvert.jpg

Postby Guest » December 4th, 2007, 4:22 pm

I saw him last week. Calvert exudes charisma, and his "Casper" dancing hank was a lovely thing.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » December 4th, 2007, 4:39 pm

Maybe 30 years ago I spent a looooooong evening with him and Tammy, on their yacht when it was in London. His full show was on board. He looks the same today.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » December 13th, 2007, 12:22 am

I saw his lecture/show in San Francisco tonight. It was very good! When you factor in his age, it was amazing!

Postby Guest » December 13th, 2007, 8:56 am

Pete,

See the man perform! Outstanding!

The magic is incidental. The act, the show is class!

(Lucy and I know when we are out classed. I hope we catch up in the next thirty-four years. I'm only 62!)

John Calvert is a presentation that a stage act must see while defining its goals. A lot of theater has been lost to TV. Calverts act makes it obvious that TV is a huge step down from real stage magic.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » December 13th, 2007, 9:31 am

I've not only seen him, I've hired him. Just like I once hired Harbin just so I could see a master at work.
Stay tooned.

jerry lazar

Postby jerry lazar » December 13th, 2007, 9:56 am

Inspiring Castle show!... Usually the Palace features 3 magicians, 15 min. each, but Calvert filled the entire 45 minute set, 3 per night (back to back), 7 nights... Energetic, dapper, charming, funny, entertaining, and magical!... Opened with multiplying cigarette production sequence that would cripple magicians a quarter of his age... Closed with fabled dancing hank, best I've ever seen... In between , he orchestrated big and small effects that dazzled and delighted, from comedy buzz saw decapitation to full-body rope tie... Only reference to age was after standing ovation... Paraphrasing: "I heard a woman turn to her husband and ask, 'How old is he anyway?' ... Well, it's no secret... In 3 years I'll be celebrating my 100th birthday"... (NOTE phrasing of that!)...He proceeded to tell tale of another performer pal (unnamed, but I presume George Burns) who had booked the Palladium years in advance for his 100th birthday, but alas had slipped in the bathtub at 99, hit his head, and ultimately never made the performance... Calvert's moral to the story? ... "I'm going to start bathing in rivers"... Beautiful, just beautiful...

Postby Guest » December 13th, 2007, 10:08 am

Saw the amazing John Calvert last night in SF. His lecture was great, stories better, and dancing hank best of any I have seen... ever.

John mentioned that he, also, has been booked for the Palladium for his 100th birthday. I'd highly recommend everybody who can thinks about getting seats soon.

Truly amazing and I have to add that Joe Pon from Misdirections Magic Shop really provides a great service with his lecture series.

CtG

Postby Guest » December 13th, 2007, 10:37 am

John Calvert is a very special person. At the NEMCA event last year, he caught his toe on something that was protruding from the stage and fell forward, landing on his hands and knees. The crowd gasped. He got up, smiled, and continued. But not before he turned in the general direction of the stage manager and said, "You'd better get that fixed. Some OLD guy might trip and hurt himself."

The audience laughed, and John finished the show.

Postby Guest » December 13th, 2007, 11:15 am

One of the great honors of my life was to have John & Tammy Calvert spend the night at my home after a lecture in Atlanta. The next morning, Tammy went out to the camper and made breakfast for Mr. Calvert and me. I'll never forget it!

JMT

Postby Guest » December 13th, 2007, 12:19 pm

I agree with everything that has been said about John and Tammy on this thread.

Seven years ago I was asked help out with John's lecture in Vegas by running his music for him. Since the guy that was supposed to work the tape player wasn't going to show up. I agreed to do it but then wondered what I had gotten Myself into. I was sure I would be more then bored out of My mind. Boy was I wrong! It was an evening I will never forget.

Randy

Return to “Buzz”