Magic Cafe Bandwidth problem

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Larry Barnowsky

Magic Cafe Bandwidth problem

Postby Larry Barnowsky » January 27th, 2008, 1:48 pm

It's Sunday 4:45 EST and when you go to the Magic Cafe you get an alert stating that their bandwidth limit has been exceeded.

Larry
Magica Analytica
barnowskymagic.com

Larry Barnowsky

Re: Magic Cafe Bandwidth problem

Postby Larry Barnowsky » January 27th, 2008, 2:23 pm

It's back up as of 5:15 PM EST
Magica Analytica
barnowskymagic.com

Arnie Fuoco

Postby Arnie Fuoco » January 27th, 2008, 6:33 pm

It seems that the Cafe is right on the edge of their computer/network resources. They now limit you to one search per some unknown time period (can't figure out what the period is). I think Steve's effort is in the right place per the recent magazine article. Hope he can keep it running with the gorilla glue and baling wire fixes.
Arnie Fuoco

Bill Palmer

Postby Bill Palmer » January 29th, 2008, 9:04 pm

He should be able to upgrade to a server that will give him a much greater amount of bandwidth than he currently has.

If he would do away with avatars and in-line photos in the e-mails, that would go a long way to saving bandwidth.
Bill Palmer, MIMC

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » January 30th, 2008, 4:15 am

They also seem to have a lot of problems with brainwidth.

Magic Mike

Postby Magic Mike » January 30th, 2008, 4:22 am

Ha Ha Ha
Bob.,.....
Funny.

Robert Toomer

Postby Robert Toomer » January 30th, 2008, 4:55 am

They seem to have a lot of problems, so way not just stay with this forum,? Take care. :)
Robert TOOMER

Frank Starsinic

Postby Frank Starsinic » January 30th, 2008, 9:51 am

Originally posted by Bill Palmer:
He should be able to upgrade to a server that will give him a much greater amount of bandwidth than he currently has.

If he would do away with avatars and in-line photos in the e-mails, that would go a long way to saving bandwidth.
It's not a server problem Bill. It's what the cafe is willing to pay per month to their provider for bandwidth.

The cafe is mostly a "text" site which uses very little bandwidth compared to a site with tons of large images. I'm surprised they would have exceeded their bandwidth limit for the month. (Yes I know there are some images but not a lot).

There are many ways to solve these problems they have.

Larry, I'm surprised we didn't have a "Kingdom of The Red" bandwidth limit sale.

You're losing your edge! :)

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 30th, 2008, 10:54 am

All message boards eat up a lot of space. I've investigated different avenues for us because sometimes we get too close on our shared server.
It's expensive. Brooks could afford it because of his ad revenue. We don't have ad revenue on the Forum.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

John LeBlanc

Postby John LeBlanc » January 30th, 2008, 12:13 pm

Originally posted by Frank Starsinic:
The cafe is mostly a "text" site which uses very little bandwidth compared to a site with tons of large images. I'm surprised they would have exceeded their bandwidth limit for the month. (Yes I know there are some images but not a lot).

There are many ways to solve these problems they have.
Speculation is fun. I'll play.

Yes, there are ways to solve this issue. Like going with another dedicated server package, maybe at another provider -- one that doesn't throttle throughput at 10MB/s like CalPOP does.

Or host the Cafe on a dedicated server by itself, rather than a dedicated server shared with 98 other domains along side it, as it is currently hosted.

I don't think they exceeded a monthly bandwidth limit. The most likely plan that server is hosted under throttles throughput at 10MB/s which has the net effect of guaranteeing you simply cannot go over ~3,300GB/month in traffic.

At roughly 150KB to 200KB per average page (those avatars eat up a lot of bandwidth) they'd have to serve up over 16 MILLION page views a month -- non-stop, 24/7 page viewing -- to hit 3,300GB of traffic.

On the other hand, it only takes little more than 60 people simultaneously hitting pages of 150KB to 200KB a hit to touch the 10MB/s limit.

Worse, if one or more of those 99 domain owners on that box are hosting video or audio files for download, the server simply will not serve up more than 10MB/s of data that sets up the perfect scenario to ring the bandwidth bell.

On the other hand, what do I know.

John

Bill Palmer

Postby Bill Palmer » January 30th, 2008, 6:36 pm

It's not so much the bandwidth limit as it is the number of simultaneous connections. I am using a hosting company that gives me 15 GB of web hosting space and 15 GB of bandwidth. The charge is a ridiculously low $6.95 a month, if I pay for it for two years in advance. They have already upped my storage and bandwidth twice without raising my fee.

I figured that I would find out whether they could handle the Magic Cafe. The problem is what happens when you get, say, 500 to 1000 connections going at the same time. It really chokes things up.

That's probably what really happened last weekend.

The company I deal with said they wouldn't even think of hosting the cafe on a shared server. They recommended that he get a dedicated server, instead.

With his ad revenues, he should give it some consideration.
Bill Palmer, MIMC

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 30th, 2008, 7:50 pm

We've investigated using a dedicated server for the Forum--more than we can afford right now.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Spellbinder

Postby Spellbinder » January 31st, 2008, 1:09 am

Since the topic has been brought up, I have wondered for some time now why you accept ads for Genii, the print magazine, but not for Genii, the forum. The forum could be paying its own way as an independent entity.
Phineas Spellbinder
The Magic Nook

Return to “Buzz”