The Geoff Latta book?

Discuss your favorite books, authors, and tricks from Kaufman and Company.

The Geoff Latta book?

Postby Guest » November 7th, 2001, 7:26 pm

Richard,
Will there ever be a book published on Geoff Latta?
Here's a guy who's referenced by everyone, yet who's material remains widely unknown.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Re: The Geoff Latta book?

Postby Matthew Field » November 9th, 2001, 6:13 am

There is supposed to be a big Geoff Latta book in the works from Stephen Minch's Hermetic Press. I know that Stephen Hobbs was working on it, but I'm not sure if he will be the author. Don't know when it is scheduled for publication.

Also in the works from Hermetic is a big book of magic by Wesley James. No timetable on that one (but I did edit it).

Matt Field

Postby Guest » November 9th, 2001, 7:26 pm

That's so good to know, Matt. Latta is one of magic's best kept secrets. It seems like anything he publishes is pure gold.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 10th, 2001, 12:30 am

I began work on the Latta book by hiring Stephen Hobbs to write it. Work stalled after Hobbs was about halfway done for several years. I sold the project to Stephen Minch, and Hobbs has been back to New York to visit Latta and videotape additional material. I believe Hobbs WILL be the author, though I do not know when Minch will publish the book. It'll be a damn good book, though!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » March 6th, 2003, 10:27 am

Any update?

Postby Guest » March 14th, 2003, 4:23 pm

Originally posted by John Blaze:
Any update?
Hobbs has bailed out of the project for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is he and his wife have a new baby; I understand, I have a ten-month old here and I remember the grueling but rewarding first six months.

I'm writing it, starting now. I'm shooting for the end of the year. We'll see.

Best,

Geoff

Postby Guest » March 14th, 2003, 9:16 pm

Wow,
G R E A T news from Geof! All of us 'peripherals' (vs. the 'inner circle') who have waited so long on the outside will now parade in glee.
MartinJ

Postby Guest » April 7th, 2003, 4:58 pm

Mr. Latta,
I've heard some really great things about you and have read some of your effects in Kaufman's Coinmagic. My question is, will your new book have card material as well as coins? Thanks.

Roberto

Postby Guest » April 7th, 2003, 5:46 pm

Originally posted by mrmagik:
....will your new book have card material as well as coins?....
Yes, approximately half the book will be card material. It's meant to be a "complete works", and will contain everything I've ever come up with that I think is worth publishing, including previously published material. That said, most of the book will be new or previously unpublished material. There's even a cigarette trick for the mavericks. Nothing will be held back.

Best,

Geoff

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 7th, 2003, 6:55 pm

Mr. Latta is one of the few people on the earth, aside from Derek Dingle, whose card work is as good as his coin work. Oh--and I must include the supernaturally good Mike Gallo in that group. Not just people who can do both card and coin magic, or like Jennings, whose card magic was superb and whose coin magic was very good (but not superb). Latta is world-class at handling both cards and coins.

Curtis Kam

Postby Curtis Kam » April 7th, 2003, 8:07 pm

And not to miss a golden opportunity like this, please note that the aforementioned world-class card and coin handler will be lecturing on card-based miracles at LVMI, and coin-based wonders the following day, at the COINvention.

Rumor has it that the material in the lectures will be, if all goes as planned, the drooling magic public's first chance to preview selections from Geoff's upcoming book.

And, if things go awry, he has threatened to debut his two-hour ring and rope routine, complete with the Chinese ring figures and rhyming patter. :)

Either way, the magic world will never be the same.

So, drooling or not, your presence at this gala event would be advised. September 14-17, San Remo hotel, Las Vegas. See the LVMI website for details.

Postby Guest » March 21st, 2006, 6:43 am

Anyone know of any developments on this?
A lot of fans are waiting quietly drooling...

Postby Guest » March 21st, 2006, 6:54 am

Originally posted by Dom:
Anyone know of any developments on this?
A lot of fans are waiting quietly drooling...
quietly drooling? Nice phrase.

I was thinking more of the lyrics to the Talking Heads song "Crosseyed and Painless".

For those who don't Remain in Light or remember, here's a link.

http://www.inlyrics.com/lyrics/T/Talkin ... 86241.html

Postby Guest » March 21st, 2006, 1:33 pm

I'm still waiting to hear about the notes promised during Coinvention in 2003.

Postby Guest » November 8th, 2007, 9:32 am

Any estimation on the release of the big book Mr Latta? Thanks.

Santana

Postby Santana » August 20th, 2008, 11:19 pm

Geoff passed away Tuesday morning, August 19th, 2008 at the age of 51. Richard Kaufman has some kind words to say about Geoff in the following thread, Geoff Latta has Died...
All you owe the public is a good performance.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 21st, 2008, 12:59 am

I'm locking this thread, so please direct your comments to the new thread on Latta's death.

I am not certain how much of the book is complete at this time and, frankly, it's not what I'm thinking about now. I'm confident that Stephen Minch will do an excellent job with it.

IF ANY OF YOU HAVE PRIVATE VIDEO FOOTAGE OF LATTA THAT YOU SHOT, OR KNOW OF ANYONE ELSE WHO DOES, PLEASE GET IN TOUCH WITH STEPHEN MINCH AT HERMETIC PRESS SO IF IT CONTAINS UNPUBLISHED MATERIAL IT CAN BE INCLUDED IN THE BOOK!

Return to “Kaufman & Company”