Where is All Backs??

Discuss your favorite books, authors, and tricks from Kaufman and Company.
Steve Hook

Re: Where is All Backs??

Postby Steve Hook » December 30th, 2003, 11:17 pm

Lots of great information and discussion in this thread.

Coincidentally, I had the pleasure last night of watching Mr. Dingle perform his All Backs routine on an early tape.

All I can say to anyone who doesn't like the plot is go back and watch DD's performance. I try to be sensitive to emotional resonance and "the magic factor". While the routine may read "cold"... when Derek did it, it rang true. That performance could change your mind, I think.

Best wishes,

Steve H

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » December 31st, 2003, 11:31 am

Originally posted by Steve Hook:
Coincidentally, I had the pleasure last night of watching Mr. Dingle perform his All Backs routine on an early tape.

All I can say to anyone who doesn't like the plot is go back and watch DD's performance.
Okay, which tape are you talking about??

Steve Hook

Postby Steve Hook » December 31st, 2003, 3:20 pm

Bill:

You had to ask.................. ;)

I'm at my office but I believe the tape is the 2nd Tannen's vid (mid-'80s?), complete with the piano music we all grew to hate, since it was played at the beginning, end, and inbetween each trick. ;)

The tape also had "We'll Twist If You Insist" and his ver of "Universal Card".

Steve

Postby Guest » January 3rd, 2004, 5:50 am

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:

Clear?
Yes, much clearer. Thank you.

AMCabral

Postby AMCabral » January 6th, 2004, 8:04 am

Now, does anyone know if Elmsley's version of the plot is the precusor to Harry Riser's ("The Practice Deck", see The Feints and Temps of Harry Riser)? Because I've always admired his approach to explaining/justifying the odd idea of an "all back deck", and the handling is lovely.

Also, didn't see anyone mention John Carney's "simplex" sequence that he throws in the middle of a color-change routine (it's from The Book Of Secrets, someone tell me they remember the name...).

-Tony

Tommy Brown

Postby Tommy Brown » January 6th, 2004, 8:57 am

Originally posted by AntonioMCabral:

Also, didn't see anyone mention John Carney's "simplex" sequence that he throws in the middle of a color-change routine (it's from The Book Of Secrets, someone tell me they remember the name...).

-Tony
I believe you refer to the effect known as "Mercurial Cards."
Tommy

AMCabral

Postby AMCabral » January 6th, 2004, 2:00 pm

Thank you, Mr. Brown. I'm midly embarrassed to be caught "out of the house" :o

But yes, that's the effect I had in mind.

-T

Anthony Brahams

Postby Anthony Brahams » January 23rd, 2004, 2:00 am

All Backs is an ideal trick to perform when you are handed a deck by a spectator. I use the Vernon method from Hugard's Magic Monthly, Vol.VII, slightly amended with my "get-ready".
Anthony

Postby Guest » June 18th, 2006, 8:15 am

"I'd actually be curious to know how many people out there actually use "All Backs" and what all of you generally think of the routine?"

Richard,
I have used the routine yesterday night in the restaurant I was working for and people just found the effect funny and quite impressing.
What else can you ask?

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » June 18th, 2006, 2:50 pm

I published an All Backs routine on January 7, 2004 on the Perverse Magic thread (under General)

Geno Munari

Postby Geno Munari » June 18th, 2006, 5:13 pm

I believe is is also in Expert Card Technique by Dai Vernon.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 18th, 2006, 7:00 pm

Thanks to whomever pointed out the Jennings routine in Lake Tahoe Card Magic--I had completely forgotten about it.
I think there's a substantial difference in the effect of showing an entire deck that has apparently changed to backs on both sides as opposed to showing three or four cards that supposedly have a back on both sides.
As far as handing out a double-backed card to the audience to examine (for which I was criticized at the time), someone may have been earlier, but I did this 25 years ago in the routine "Fusion," developed with David Arthur and Gene Maze.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » June 29th, 2006, 8:25 am

Originally posted by Mark Ennis [/qb][/QUOTE]Believe it or not, the routine "New Back Off" from Cardshark is a very powerful routine for lay audiences. I have seen him perform this routine for lay people and it plays very well. The strenth in his routine is allowing the spectator to handle the double back card because they are convinced the cards have backs on both sides and are quite stunned when he prints faces on the cards. [/QB][/QUOTE]

For reference, "New Back Off" appears on p.136 in Scams & Fantaseies with Cards by Darwin Ortiz, while the original effect "Back Off" is from DO at the Card Table p.145.

Postby Guest » June 29th, 2006, 9:49 am

Sorry Mr Deutsch,I'm quite new to the Forum procedures,so how can I read your article on all backs if on searching your contributions I cannot go beyond the last 50 posted?There must be a way..tks

Postby Guest » June 29th, 2006, 10:26 am

Originally posted by robinmago:
Sorry Mr Deutsch,I'm quite new to the Forum procedures,so how can I read your article on all backs if on searching your contributions I cannot go beyond the last 50 posted?There must be a way..tks
Here's how to do it. Gerald Deutsch's member number is 23, so if you search for All Backs in the General forum under member number 23, you'll find http://geniimagazine.com/forum/cgi-bin/ ... 086#000038

(And I must add that I do like Gerald Deutsch's Perverse Magic thread)

Dave

Postby Guest » June 29th, 2006, 10:50 am

Thanks Dave,very kind of you,
Alessandro

Mark Collier

Postby Mark Collier » June 29th, 2006, 12:28 pm

As an encore (for the host or guest of honor), I do an All Back routine with my own business card printed deck. It starts with a full deck display of factory misprinted cards and then goes into a modified (shortened) Jack's Backs (Modis Operandi) where I supposedly take 4 cards, print and table the Kings one-by-one but the last one is an Ace. The 3 tabled cards are turned over to reveal the other 3 Aces.

I say,"Thats OK because the Aces beat the Kings anyway. I know what you're thinking....those aren't really the 4 Aces(Carney's Versa Switch). If you don't beleive that, maybe you'll believe they're really the 4 Kings (cleanly deal 4 Kings). And if you believe that, maybe you'll believe this is just a normal deck of cards (ribbon spread and turnover) with really cool backs.

"I'd like to offer you one of these as a souvineer (they reach for a card and I pull them away and box them)...but I hate to break-up the set...so why don't you keep these as a souvineer. Thank you for having me etc.

No one ever finds the Breather Crimp.

Stan Willis

Postby Stan Willis » July 29th, 2006, 6:14 am

Richard,

The copyright reads 1987.
The effect .......Australian Poker by Derek Dingle. It's an All Backs Routine with five (5)? cards which eventually end up as a Royal Flush. I think it was a gift to your cataloge customers. It's hard to beat!

Best Regards,

Stan

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 29th, 2006, 10:49 am

I later reprinted the Dingle routine in MAGIC in my Inner Workings column.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » July 29th, 2006, 4:24 pm

Another to add to the list is Bob Read's version of the Vernon routine, called 'All Backs and Additions' published in 'Thanks to Pepys'.

Return to “Kaufman & Company”