Children magic

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.

Children magic

Postby Guest » March 8th, 2003, 6:51 am

I hope someone could help me. When ever I go to my parents house there are loads of kids asking me to do magic. Which, of course, is nice. However, I feel they cannot really appreciate card tricks as the eldist is only 6 years old.

Could some one please post some good, inexpensive tricks I could do for them. I would like some tricks that are relatively easy to learn because I still want to spend most of my time with cards.

So what do you recommend?

Thank you

Re: Children magic

Postby Guest » March 8th, 2003, 7:16 am

Have you considered "Once Upon a Time" by Guy Hollingworth, and available from him at www.guy-hollingworth.com ? You get a card trick (three, really) which can be appreciated by both kids and adults. The story nature of the effects will also allow you to show them again to the same audience on different occasions, as kids love to hear the same stories more than once. (As a plus for you, you still get to be handling cards, and the effects can also be presented to audiences of adults.)

Postby Guest » March 8th, 2003, 6:26 pm

Sponge Balls...easy and inexpensive.

www.JeffEzellMAGIC.com

mark

Postby mark » March 8th, 2003, 11:55 pm

For an el cheapo trick the magic coin box is hard to beat. I have had the frustrating experience listed by so many others - we work ourselves to death creating a work of art, we have the method, the presentation, etc.. But kids and adults both want to see the three dollar magic coin box. I keep at least one loaded and ready in my bag at all times. I agree with the mention of sponge balls, cheap, easy, and fun.

Postby Guest » March 20th, 2003, 1:28 pm

Sponge balls! Sponge balls! Sponge balls! Sponge balls!

OK, that's out of my system...

Silk from a dollar bill ala TT...

Any IT effect...

Sponge balls! whoops, I said that already...

Sponge cube! Love that one!

Believe it or not, the other day I got incredible reactions from a 5 year old doing my mini Chop Cup routine, and my final loads were... Sponge balls!

Instant lead in...

best-
Jeff

Carl Mercurio

Postby Carl Mercurio » March 20th, 2003, 2:30 pm

For kids, the issue isn't so much the "trick" as it is their involvement in something. For kids, it's fun to know more than the magician and to let him know it. So you want things that appear to mess up, sucker tricks and things of that nature.

Sucker Die Box, Mis-made Flag, Backstage, Cut-and-Restored Rope where "unbenownst" to you the knot keeps falling of, the trick with the spots on the can that disappear and go onto two silks.

Good card tricks for kids are ones where remembering the value of the card isn't important, e.g., cards across, Immaculate Connection...

Todd Robbins

Postby Todd Robbins » March 21st, 2003, 5:08 pm

Take a pair of pliers and bend some pennies. Switch a bent one for an unbent one and put it in the kid's hand. As you do this, tell the kid to close his hand fast and tight, and to squeeze with all of their might. When they open their hand they will squeal, thinking that they bent the penny. All the kids in the house will want to do it.

Todd Robbins

Postby Todd Robbins » March 21st, 2003, 5:09 pm

If the bent penny thing doesn't impress them, do the Blockhead.

Postby Guest » March 22nd, 2003, 2:16 am

Rabbits Rabbits everywhere...
color changing ball to jumbo square...
morph dog...
For children I like any "gosh" products. These are all inexpensive and highly visual. Children of the age you mentioned respond well to magic such as things appearing, disappearing, transformation, color changes, and other things of that nature. Another Idea would be some of the Emerson and west packet tricks. Gourmet mouse comes to mind as this has a story line somewhat like a childrens story book. It culminates with the gourmet mouse disappearing. Where did he go? Well, he was eaten by the gourmet cat of course! Also I like the bent penny idea, but be careful about letting children keep the bent penny, as they would pose a choking hazzard to young children.

Good luck,
Ronald R. Romiski

P.S. Cut and restored rope.

Postby Guest » March 22nd, 2003, 12:29 pm

Very small kids love to see things appear and disappear, which really gets tiring after the 25th time they ask you to make something else disappear. Producing coins magically, (especially if they are the foil covered cany coins) which you give them, goes over great with kids. Sponge balls goes over well as does using a simple gimmick like a thumb tip to vanish a small silk although I must admit to a preferance of a hank pull instead, as nothing blows kids away more than grabbing at your hands to find nothing. Spur of the moment, improv works well, just seize the moment if you can. try for visual, direct and simple!

While it isn't magic, a small balloon animal also will keep them out of your hair if you give each of them one.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
http://www.stores.ebay.ca/ABstagecraft
Supplying Unique Mentalism World-wide

Postby Guest » March 23rd, 2003, 10:13 pm

Saw this thread and thought I'd drop in.

I promised my daughter that I'd perform some magic for her 3rd grade class and I'm thinking about adapting my regular Cards Across routine.

Can anyone recommend children's Game Cards that could substitute for regular playing cards? Ideally, a deck with at 40 unique, yet easily remembered cards. A deck with animals, perhaps, or ???

Postby Guest » March 24th, 2003, 4:33 pm

Rope - Lots of it!

If they don't behave, tie 'em up!

Postby Guest » March 25th, 2003, 9:28 am

Big and visual....
Needle thru Balloon
I perform this one for my kid shows and it goes very well. Almost every kid covers their ears as the needle gets closer and closer....

troublewit

Postby troublewit » March 25th, 2003, 3:27 pm

Originally posted by Muscarella:

I promised my daughter that I'd perform some magic for her 3rd grade class and I'm thinking about adapting my regular Cards Across routine.

Can anyone recommend children's Game Cards that could substitute for regular playing cards? Ideally, a deck with at 40 unique, yet easily remembered cards. A deck with animals, perhaps, or ???
Christopher Klocek
337 N Wood St
Griffith, In 46319
219-765-7123
troublewit@aol.com

troublewit

Postby troublewit » March 25th, 2003, 3:31 pm

Sorry, my response didn't accompany the above reply...I suggest UNO Cards for cards across for kids. They are easily recognizable (RED 1,BLUE 5, etc.)They also have "Wild Cards", and some other "special" cards which you can work into your presentation. By the way, Gene Gordon, in his book "Magical Legacy of Gene Gordon" has a wonderful method and presentation for "Cards Across" with kid assistants.
Christopher Klocek

337 N Wood St

Griffith, In 46319

219-765-7123

troublewit@aol.com

Ira Rush

Postby Ira Rush » April 8th, 2003, 9:06 am

Originally posted by Muscarella:

I saw this thread too, you might have already performed for the class, but you might want to look at "Looney Tunes" playing cards (US Playing Card Company- makers of Bicycle etc.).

They are a full deck of 52 cards with such values as a "Blue 9 of Diamonds with Tweety Bird" or a "Ace of hearts with Daffy Duck". It makes it easier for the kids to relate to them they remember the color and picture rather than a value and suit.

I used these with my kids when they were younger and is goes over well.

You can get them at Toy R US, CVS Drugstores, Target etc., etc.

Hope this help

Ira Rush

Postby Ira Rush » April 8th, 2003, 1:32 pm

Originally posted by Pekka Ketonen:
I hope someone could help me. When ever I go to my parents house there are loads of kids asking me to do magic....
Could some one please post some good, inexpensive tricks I could do for them. I would like some tricks that are relatively easy to learn because I still want to spend most of my time with cards.

So what do you recommend?

Thank you
Boy am I getting a lot of mileage on this one, anyway here is what I would suggest

"Multiplying rabbits" - basically a sponge ball routine
"Glorpy" - a dancing silk
Bob McAllister's "Molly McBubble" - bubbles that become "real"

and my all time favorite...

Bob McAllister's "Chocolate Chip Cookie Classic" - a Miser's Dream that children relate to

Hope this helps

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » April 8th, 2003, 1:55 pm

It is my experience that real people (non-magicians), and this includes children, are easily entertained and not confused by real objects, and this includes playing cards. Just as mentalists are wrong to think you must use tarot or ESP cards rather than ordinary playing cards, it is wrong to assume that children must be exposed to some oddball deck from Toys R Us for them to "relate" to the effect. Just keep it simple. I do card tricks for kids of all ages (even 3-year-olds) with a regular deck. For the third-graders, any color-dependent routine such as Daley's Last Aces or Oil and Water (keep it simple!) is easily appreciated. If you want to do an effect that uses the value of the card, let the value be seen and let the kid write his name on it. Then destroy it and find it inside an orange, etc. Or stick it to the ceiling. They will love you. It's dramatic and they know that you have found their card without making them have to know a two of clubs from a two of spades. But I think it only detracts if you try to ring in some unusual deck. Kids are smart! So are adults!

Carl Mercurio

Postby Carl Mercurio » April 15th, 2003, 7:04 am

Anybody remember the name of the old kid's trick where you had a stick with three silks hanging from it. On the left side was a red silk, in the middle a blue and on the right a blue. You'd say you're going to make the red silk jump from the left side to the right, and you'd turn the stick around behind your back. Of course, the kids would scream that you just turned it around. You repeat it once or twice. Then you say you'll make it jump to the middle. You wave your hand through the silks and the red is in the middle. Everything can be examined.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 15th, 2003, 7:08 am

It might be "Monkey Bar." Bought one at Tannen's when I was a kid.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Ira Rush

Postby Ira Rush » April 15th, 2003, 9:18 am

Originally posted by Carl Mercurio:
Anybody remember the name of the old kid's trick where you had a stick with three silks hanging from it. On the left side was a red silk, in the middle a blue and on the right a blue. You'd say you're going to make the red silk jump from the left side to the right, and you'd turn the stick around behind your back. Of course, the kids would scream that you just turned it around. You repeat it once or twice. Then you say you'll make it jump to the middle. You wave your hand through the silks and the red is in the middle. Everything can be examined.
Carl & Richard,

I too seem to remember getting that effect from Tannen's years ago, but I remember it being called "The Acrobatic Silks"

Then again, maybe the name was changed when you got the item Richard. You young whipper-snapper you !

My days at Tannen's were when they were located on the 12th floor at 1540 Broadway. You know "back in the day"

I can still see that Tannen's logo inlaid in that marble floor, and that "What's New List" like it was yesterday...

....ok time for my nap...

Ira Rush

Postby Ira Rush » April 15th, 2003, 10:05 am

"My days at Tannen's were when they were located on the 12th floor at 1540 Broadway. You know "back in the day"

"I can still see that Tannen's logo inlaid in that marble floor, and that "What's New List" like it was yesterday...

....ok time for my nap...
Or was it the 120 W 42nd Street location ?

... oh how I need my nap!...

Carl Mercurio

Postby Carl Mercurio » April 15th, 2003, 2:07 pm

That's it! Acrobatic Silks! I remember now I got it from Tannen's, but lost it or gave it away long ago. Are these things even still around?

Ira Rush

Postby Ira Rush » April 15th, 2003, 2:24 pm

Originally posted by Carl Mercurio:
That's it! Acrobatic Silks! I remember now I got it from Tannen's, but lost it or gave it away long ago. Are these things even still around?
Carl,

I sent you another e-mail, it does seem to be around, Tannen's does have it,but read the e-mail

Hope this helps

Return to “General”