Driebeck Die

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.

Driebeck Die

Postby Guest » June 22nd, 2002, 12:51 pm

Hello All:

I noticed on the Hocus-Pocus website, they have the Driebeck Die for sale. Everything looks on the up-and-up, and from the photos, it looks well-made.

I've always liked the effect, but am not sure how strongly it plays. Does anyone do the effect/routine? It seems I may have seen Mike Caveney (or was it Pete Biro) do it years ago, but I don't remember too much.

Any input from anyone?

BTW...the price isn't too bad - $100.00.

Ron Reid

Paul Green

Re: Driebeck Die

Postby Paul Green » June 22nd, 2002, 2:17 pm

Hi Ron,

We have to stop meeting this way.

I use the Dreibeck Die. You probably saw Mike using it. It was one of his features long ago at the Magic Castle.

The originals were made of a fairly stiff plastic. The newer models (German made) are good, but the material used is not as rigid. Really does not affect the working of the item.

If you get it, "Bust 'em up with it."

Regards,

Paul Green

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » June 23rd, 2002, 10:28 am

I had one of the originals before Caveney... however he does it better than I do. At a recent convention he had just done it and there was a miscue backstage and he had to kill time... so he DID IT AGAIN... and it went over great.

Ali Bongo, at his recent lecture in Portland had a great version with the tiny one where a ring vanished and appeared inside the box.

Also, FYI, it (the original, which I saw in Europe at a FISM) was created by Lubor Fiedler.

:D
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » June 23rd, 2002, 11:34 am

Thanks for the replies, Paul and Pete. BTW Paul...I just ordered "Take a Stroll with Me". Looks like its got some very nice stuff in it.

Ron Reid

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » June 24th, 2002, 1:17 pm

Strolling is OK, but I suggest stopping once in awhile so the spectators can see what you do. Paul just Keeps Moving!! :D
Stay tooned.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » June 24th, 2002, 1:19 pm

Bob Driebeck at a recent Dutch Convention did an incredible vanishing beard.

He had a real beard and everyone knew it... kinda like Eugene Burger... OK, so Bob does a show and right in the middle of it his beard VANISHED.

What he did?

He shaved it off and had a fake beard on. And the rest... you figure. :D

What a creative genius this guy is. He has a lot of things out there that many do no know are his ideas. Kaps was a recipient of many of Bob's :eek: ideas.
Stay tooned.

Paul Green

Postby Paul Green » June 26th, 2002, 5:10 pm

Strolling is OK, but I suggest stopping once in awhile so the spectators can see what you do. Paul just Keeps Moving!!
Pete,

I move because I can. :D

Regards,

Paul

Herman Koster

Postby Herman Koster » June 27th, 2002, 11:09 am

Hi Pete,

How on earth did you hear about that story?
It was hilarious. Bob had a seance newspaper and first did some gags like Bob without clown's nose, Bob with clown's nose. Bob without hat, Bob with hat and finally Bob with beard (up went the newspaper) Bob without beard.

I also heard a story about some magician always showing him the latest pocket card trick. So Bob bought all available pocket tricks and put them in one of those accordion style wallets. So the next time that guy came by and did a trick, Bob reached in his jacket, let the wallet open and about 80 or so packet tricks were dangling and he said: '' Got that one.'' :)

Hope to see you soon. I'll be going to LA somewhere in July.

Take care and keep those stories coming

Herman Koster
Netherlands.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » June 27th, 2002, 6:53 pm

You should post more often.... I had the great pleasure of visiting Bob at his home on Rotterdam many years ago... a funny funny and original man.

What is he doing these days?
Stay tooned.

Herman Koster

Postby Herman Koster » June 28th, 2002, 12:43 am

He had his 82nd birthday a couple of months ago, and we all chipped in a little so he could visit his daughter in Australia. I'm not sure if he's back yet.
He's also still very busy thinking of new and funny routines. But he only performs them at Richard Ross' Magic Art Center in Bennebroek.

And yes, I should post more often, but only when I've got something sensible to say ;)

Take care

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » June 28th, 2002, 7:49 am

Not having anything sensible to say never stops me! :D
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » June 29th, 2002, 12:33 am

Originally posted by Herman Koster:
He had his 82nd birthday a couple of months ;)

Don't make Bob an old man. He had his 80th birthday on February 8th. 1922was quite a good year for magic: Bob Driebeek, Billy McComb and VJ Astor(from Hungary, now living in Germany)
born.
Greetings
Hans

Herman Koster

Postby Herman Koster » June 29th, 2002, 12:41 am

Oops, my mistake. Sorry Bob. :(

John Pezzullo

Postby John Pezzullo » June 29th, 2002, 6:26 am

To our friends from Europe:

Is anybody familiar with the contents of Bob Driebeek's "Aenigmas Rtsel"? It's a small book of Bob Driebeek's magic that was published several years ago. Any comments about the book would be appreciated.

I know that Stephen Minch has had a book featuring Bob Driebeek's magic in the pipeline for a number of years. When I last corresponded with Stephen Minch about this back in late 1999, the status of the book's publication was unclear as Bob Driebeek was still working on completing the original manuscript.

I look forward to the day when this book is published. I've read many positive things about Bob Driebeek. Peter Pit once wrote the following about him:

Bob was a very clever comedy magic person whose routines were marvelously spiced with wit, whim, and wonderful juggling with the Dutch language.
The fact that he was a close friend and confidant of Fred Kaps, one of the legends of our craft, also says a lot about Bob Driebeek's status as a magician.

Herman Koster

Postby Herman Koster » June 29th, 2002, 1:55 pm

Aenigma's Rtsel is a very nice book. It has something for everyone in it. Tricks with coins, cards, pens and mentalism. My favorite trick is with a die and a cardboard cup (like the Mac Donald's shakes come in) The die is under the cup and shaken, but the outcome is known by the magician. Very clever method. It fooled me the first time I saw it performed by Bob.
The only thing is that the book is only published in German. I surely hope that one of these days an English book will be published, because Bob has a lot of clever ideas

Postby Guest » June 30th, 2002, 5:45 am

hi,
Bob Driebeek's book “Aenigmas Rtsel” was published in 1996 by sic! (Michael Sondermeyer and Uwe Schenk, also known for their book about magic for children, which was also translated into the English language) only in German language, but it is worth reading it, so if you can read German go on and buy it! The price is about 20 US $. In this book you will find a choice of fine close-up magic. Bob always likes to fool his fellow magicians, so you'll find some well known plots, but always with a difference. These routines are no pipe-dreams, Bob performed them in our club in Wuppertal, when he lived in our town for some years, and their were tons of laughter!
:D He always tries to give credits.
Bob writes his things in English and I did a little of pre-publishing translation. And I am quite lucky that I've read some parts of the planned book for the English speaking market.
It combines history and nice effects. A chapter about Cheffalo and Okito is extremely funny.
Greetings from Germany
Hans

John Pezzullo

Postby John Pezzullo » June 30th, 2002, 1:33 pm

Herman & Hans-Gerhard,

Thanks for the information about Bob Driebeek's book. It's appreciated.

Regards,

John

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » June 27th, 2018, 6:14 pm

Who (and how) do I ask for permission to make a small Driebeek Die setup? That's for personal use. I finally thought of a patter/story for the thing.
https://www.facebook.com/jon.townsend.1 ... on_generic

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fjon.townsend.148%2Fposts%2F1993339227343446&width=500" width="500" height="626" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allow="encrypted-media"></iframe>

-JonT
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » June 27th, 2018, 7:30 pm

Jonathan, what you have in the photos appears to be a set of Gozinta Boxes, the original idea of Lubor Fiedler.

With the Gozinta Boxes you show (say) a red box, open it and remove a (say) black box.
You then open the black box and put the red one inside and put the black lid back on.

Bob Driebeck took the same trick with the added finish of now removing the lid and having a Chinese looking box inside.
A video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JpTDqCE1Z4

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » June 27th, 2018, 8:47 pm

Q. Kumber wrote: in the photos appears to be a set of Gozinta Boxes, the original idea of Lubor Fiedler.

Yes, those are a small set of Gozinta boxes. I'd like to explore an alternative to the "chinese" design Bob Driebeek's item used for an ending, instead using large colored circles similar to the "color vision" block.

Q. Kumber

Postby Q. Kumber » June 28th, 2018, 4:41 am

I can't see any problem with you exploring the idea for your own personal use.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » June 28th, 2018, 9:54 am

Q. Kumber wrote:I can't see any problem with you exploring the idea for your own personal use.

Me neither since it's just for my own use and while not commercial it is a matter of public display of an artwork.
It feels like a matter of courtesy to ask the inventor or their delegate about doing something with the art/design of their item.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » June 28th, 2018, 1:45 pm

Driebeck died in 2002. You won't need permission from him.

An ad in Magic, Aug 2002, said that Robert Bromley of England "has obtained the rights to re-manufacture the original Driebeck Die," and that "Robert has graciously granted the Exclusive WORLDWIDE distribution rights to Hocus Pocus."

They have one on their website, but it appears to be an estate item, and doesn't mention anything about Hocus Pocus having current rights to it. For that matter, I don't see that anyone, anywhere is actively making and selling them. But I certainly could be wrong about that.

Bromley releases stuff through Alakazam magic, so they might be able to help you contact him.

This is an interesting article about the boxes.

If all you are doing is decorating an set of Gozinta boxes, I don't see whose toes you'd be stepping on if you painted them however you wanted.

Q. Kumber

Postby Q. Kumber » June 28th, 2018, 2:54 pm

Hocus Pocus Magic has been operating in England longer than a different Hocus Pocus in the U.S.
It is the UK Hocus Pocus that supplies the Rob Bromley products. I don't see it on their site now
but up until recently they sold a miniature Driebeck Die.

http://www.hocuspocusmagic.com

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » June 28th, 2018, 3:15 pm

Stevens Magic has been selling the Driebeck Die for many years.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » June 28th, 2018, 4:47 pm

Q. Kumber wrote:Hocus Pocus Magic has been operating in England longer than a different Hocus Pocus in the U.S.
It is the UK Hocus Pocus that supplies the Rob Bromley products. I don't see it on their site now
but up until recently they sold a miniature Driebeck Die.

http://www.hocuspocusmagic.com

Mebbe so, but it was the American Hocus Pocus (from Fresno CA) that had the ad I talked about.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » June 28th, 2018, 6:59 pm

Hi Bill, folks,

It's a little late to say "thank you" to Lubor Fielder for the basic trick and Bob Driebeek for the kicker ending. Once the ideas of making a gift of the boxes and that feedback comment about the similarly sized color vision trick clicked... that's too good a visual to let sit in a notebook. Rather than any awkward "chinese" artwork - the simpler colored regions would announce "familiar magic shop item" and the stories (both real and magic design/scripting) move on.

With thanks to both of them for the inventions and nod to anyone else using the Fiedler or Driebeck routines,

Jon

PS This started with making a gift of a Gozinta set. An acquaintance used to do some magic and these days has limited dexterity. That's what motivated the bows/ribbons. Which also answered my questions about what to keep in the box and how to make the gift of the boxes "nice". As is his reply that the boxes reminded him of the "color vision" item they saw long ago. Up till that comment I was all happy to make another couple of elastic ribbons for the boxes and planning to go ahead into rehearsal for carrying the Lubor Gozinta boxes. How convenient to have a patter story that's also true.

So there's a magician learning to design and make his own props. He can just about make a card that looks like he wants for a trick when has occasion to make a bow/ribbon for a box. Did I tell you he's not the "arts and crafts" type so he's already feeling like a fish out of water. Then - trying to do something nice for someone - he realizes that after getting better at typing and fixing up a bow it's going to be thiin-walled-box fussing time and more art skills to learn.

Okay what's your third wish? :oops:

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”