Dr. Suess

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.

Dr. Suess

Postby Guest » February 6th, 2007, 8:10 am

Folks,
As part of Dr. Suess day at the local school next month, I am reading a Dr. Suess book of my choice to 4th and 5th graders. Does anybody have any recommendations/ideas/thoughts?

Thanks
JR Russell
"Fly Navy"

Ian Kendall

Re: Dr. Suess

Postby Ian Kendall » February 6th, 2007, 8:22 am

My Kids' favourites are Green Eggs and Ham and Too Many Daves.

Take care, Ian

Postby Guest » February 6th, 2007, 10:27 am

For my money, "Hop on Pop". But only if you can do it as Christopher Walken. ("Stop. You must not...hop on pop.") :)

jerry lazar

Postby jerry lazar » February 6th, 2007, 10:36 am

Um, yeh, my recommendation is to spell SEUSS correctly, or the kids'll bust ya... (Little known irony: Geisel's own pronunciation rhymed with "choice," not "juice")... Other than that, no Seuss is bad Seuss... Tho my personal fave is Yertle the Turtle, only because that's the first my dad read to me... Seuss is for all ages, of course, but by 4th grade perhaps you should throw in a lesson about anapestic tetrameter (a la Lord Byron)... Rule No. 1: Have fun!...

Postby Guest » February 6th, 2007, 11:52 am

The Sneetches teaches kids the dangers of conformity, fads, and groupthink.

The Butter Battle Book teaches the dangers of preemptive war and the arms race.

The Lorax teaches respect for the environment and sustainable behavior.

Shortly after Ted Geisel died, I read a tribute in the local San Diego paper that discussed his work in the American Intelligence community. One of his former colleagues said that Ted knew the whole story of the JFK assassination, with the following quote which I will never forget: "Read Fox in Socks, it's all there."

Marc Rehula

Postby Marc Rehula » February 6th, 2007, 2:21 pm

Too strange, Ian!

My three year old boy's favorites are Green Eggs and Ham and Too Many Daves too!

They're both greats reads (meaning they're great to listen to, if you read them right). Also great are The Sneetches and The Zax, which both have great lessons. For older kids, the Oobleck story, an early book, is great too, although it's in prose rather than verse, so it's a little disorienting.

Postby Guest » February 7th, 2007, 3:44 am

Sorry gang on the spelling...
I have no problem picking a book, I have them all from reading them to my kids. I should have clarified things up front by saying that I was looking to add something magical. I was thinking of taking one of the books and making a 'coloring book' out of it. Change bag idea? pulling green eggs and ham out of something?

thanks
"JR"
Fly Navy

Postby Guest » February 8th, 2007, 11:18 pm

For my birthday this year, my wife bought me a copy of Green Eggs and Ham...all written in Latin. I And it all rhymes!

I guess those 5 years were good for something. It would make a good stocking-stuffer for Teller...

hp

Postby Guest » February 8th, 2007, 11:23 pm

The Cat In The Hat is about a magic hat
is it not?
Perhaps there you will find your magical plot.

Postby Guest » February 10th, 2007, 11:01 am

JR

I was just reading "The Zax" to my sons last night, and it occurs to me that the repeated mention of north and south, with a few easts and wests sprinkled in, might be a good fit for the old High Sign trick, where arrows on the sign surprisingly change direction.

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”