Paris Magic Shops

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
benrl

Paris Magic Shops

Postby benrl » January 17th, 2004, 1:30 pm

The last few times we've been in Paris lack of time has prevented me from visiting the Paris magic shop(s). I'd appreciate any suggestions from folks who've visited there recently. Would also be very interested in magic bars, etc.

Our travel dates are March 13-20.

Re: Paris Magic Shops

Postby Guest » January 17th, 2004, 2:52 pm

Try to go to " The Le Double Fond" (a Magic Theater) run by Dominique Duvivier.He also owns a Magicshop in Paris.
Greetings from Germany
Marcus :)

Postby Guest » January 17th, 2004, 4:42 pm

One interesting way to spend a few evening hours is in the (literally underground) "Muse de la Curiosit et de la Magie." It's in the Marais district about a 15 minute walk from Cite or about 5 minutes from the St. Paul metro stop. After watching a traditional show (linking rings, egg bag, etc.) for an audience of mostly children, you can visit the rest of the museum. There are some illusions, automata, etc. There is also a magic shop complete with a roped-off "magicians only" section. Here's the address:

Ecole de Magie, 11, rue St-Paul , 75004 Paris

Here's a page with more information:
http://www.paris.org/Musees/Magie/info.html

Enjoy!
Bill Pearson

benrl

Postby benrl » January 19th, 2004, 10:26 am

Many thanks guys.

Ben

Bob Walder

Postby Bob Walder » January 19th, 2004, 2:34 pm

I second the suggestion for the "Muse de la Magie" - 11, rue St Paul, 75004 PARIS, Mtro St-Paul, Tl.: 01.42.72.13.26, Opens Wednesday. Saturday and Sunday 14h to 19h

Also second Le Double Fond (see your "recommended" and raise you a "must see at all costs"), described as "1er Pub trs Chic et trs Magique".
1, Place du March Sainte-Catherine, 75004 PARIS, closest Mtro St-Paul - Le Marais, Tl.: 01.42.71.40.20, www.doublefond.com

Tusdays/Wednesdays, it has Dominique and Alexandra Duvivier (father and daugher)
Thursdays is has Dominique on his own
Saturdays it has Alexandra on her own
Other nights has other magicians on, but Dominique and Alex are the ones to see

There is a really nice hotel right around the corner from the Double Fond, and a REALLY nice tapas bar just opposite that hotel.

Best magic dealers: apart from the Academie de Magie (the museum mentioned above), there is Mayette Magie Moderne, 8 rue des Carmes, 75005 Paris, which is Duvivier's shop. I also quite liked Comme par Magie, 115, rue du Cherche-Midi, 75006 Paris

Have fun.

Bob Walder

benrl

Postby benrl » January 19th, 2004, 4:58 pm

Thanks for the info Bob.
Ben

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » January 19th, 2004, 9:03 pm

Is "ecole du magie" Georges Proust's place? If not you need to find his shop and museum.

You might want to visit Musee Grevin (SP?) very intereting and features some magic.
Stay tooned.

Edwin Corrie

Postby Edwin Corrie » January 20th, 2004, 12:14 am

11 rue St Paul is the address of Georges Proust's Acadmie de Magie. Must say I got a cool reception there years ago, but perhaps it was because I was a funny-looking kid with school French and not a lot of money to spend.

Mayette (Duvivier's shop) was always quite good. He has a website at http://www.mayette.com/

I also used to like Guy Lore's Paris Magic, though it was a long time ago and they have moved since, so I don't know what it's like now. The address is on the following website, which lists a lot of European dealers:

http://www.linkingpage.com/altmagic.html

Bob Walder

Postby Bob Walder » January 20th, 2004, 3:19 am

Yes Pete, the school, the museum and the shop are all part of the same enterprise at the address above (as far as I am aware).

I found the reception to be good at the shop, and they were very willing to open the roped-off area for me - all I had to do was prove I could saw my wife in half first.... kidding...

The biggest problem I had was getting served when a huge bunch of schoolkids descended on the public part of the shop - there was only one guy working at the time so I lost out! Bear in mind, French schoolchildren have Wednesdays off, so the museum and shop is designed to attract parties of kids by opening Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays only. If you find it is open any other day, you can safely assume it is school holidays and so the same problems will ensue.

Naturally, it is also difficult to get a look in at some of the hands-on exhibits in the museum since there is always a huge queue of snot-nosed kids in front of you (a queue which gets longer and longer unless you are also prepared to adopt the French method of pushing to the front). Actually, I am being unfair - most French kids do not have snotty noses - that's just the English kids!

Anyway, it's a shame the place does not open one other day of the week to give adults a fair crack of the whip ;)

Despite the above, it is one of those places you really do need to visit if you have the time - better than the Eiffel Tower, anyway... :p

Oh, and although you might be tempted to give it a miss, I recommend you make sure to see the little mini magic show they do every half hour or so. A lot of it is aimed at kids, but not exclusively, and there are some nice tricks - OK, so you will know how they are all done but it is still nice to watch - and it is great to see the kids' reactions. One little girl of about 3 literally fell off the stool when the little sponge bunnies multiplied from 2 to 22 in her hand! Her face was a picture, and the crowd reaction was great.

One tip with the Double Fond - when I went we attended the Halloween show (bizarre magic mainly - very good) and booked tickets in advance. We also arrived quite early. The hostess (dressed as Morticia from the Adams Family) made a point of seating those who had tickets first, and those who arrived early too. The venue is VERY small and intimate and a seat on the front row is great! So if you get chance, book tickets by phone and arrive early. While you wait in the bar you will be entertained by some excellent card magic at your table too, so you won't be bored!

Bob

Thomas Van Aken
Favorite Magician: Mike Skinner

Postby Thomas Van Aken » January 20th, 2004, 4:46 am

Dear all,
I second the recommendations for:
"Acadmie de Magie" (Georges Proust's place with a shop and musee, see address above).
"Mayette Magie Moderne" (Specialy if you want to purchase Duvivier's stuff, address is rue des Carmes)
"Le Magasin de Magie" (Nice peoples and good prices; see address above)
"Paris-Magic" (Guy Lore's place, it has moved years ago and is now located avenue Brillat-Savarin).
Have fun in Paris
Thomas

benrl

Postby benrl » January 20th, 2004, 7:12 am

Thanks to everyone who responded.
Isn't the Genii Forum great!!

Ben

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » February 6th, 2004, 7:54 am

Originally posted by M.WOOD:
Try to go to " The Le Double Fond" (a Magic Theater) run by Dominique Duvivier.He also owns a Magicshop in Paris.
Greetings from Germany
Marcus :)
After everyone recommended this DoubleFond place, I decided to book a couple of tickets for next weekend when I visit Paris. I even managed to persuade my girl that a magic show was the perfect way to spend an evening in Paris - when I am taking her there for a romantic (dirty) weekend for Valentines!

Score!

If they let me take pictures, I will try and post a mini review here. When we get back.

Bob Walder

Postby Bob Walder » February 6th, 2004, 2:26 pm

Mrgoat - if it's a "dirty" weekend you are after, then you should check out the Crazy Horse Saloon for your magic rather than le Double Fond (at least, so I am informed) ;)

Bob

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 6th, 2004, 3:58 pm

Le Double Fond is a really intimate venue: It seats between 30 and 35 and that's it! It's a great place to work: you can see what it's like if you have the Paris Super Session tapes with Larry Jennings and Derek Dingle. They were filmed there.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “General”