Coins Across

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
mike cookman

Coins Across

Postby mike cookman » August 26th, 2003, 9:33 pm

I love a good coins across effect. I am partial to David Roth's Shell Coins Across, David Regal's 41/2, and Chris Kenners OOSPCA. Anyone else have a favorite Coins Across?

Bill Duncan

Re: Coins Across

Postby Bill Duncan » August 26th, 2003, 11:12 pm

I like Roth's Shell Coins Across a great deal and my own Psychological Coins Across.

While it's not a Coins Across exactly I'm becoming quite fond of the assembly Dean Dill performs on "Hit The Road". I can be done with four different objects (not just coins) and it's not too difficult. A great impromptue effect.

Jeff Eline

Postby Jeff Eline » August 27th, 2003, 6:01 am

In the new issue of Genii, Jay Sankey gives an 'in the hands' version that is killer!! With the spectator holding your left hand, the coin still appears inside your closed fist. And then the third phase happens in their hands. I've had a lot of fun doing this one for the past two weeks.

Postby Guest » August 27th, 2003, 11:17 am

I just learned Jay Sankey's Mr. Clean Coins Across, on his greatest hits videotape recently issued from L & L. I also noticed that a close cousin of this was included on the On the Spot video by Gregory Wilson, and combined the two.

This version uses a Tenkai pinch, which took me six weeks to get into working order. But it was worth it. It's so clean that the mind has nowhere to go. Unfortunately, it's also quite angular, and although it's not mentioned on the above-mentioned videos, it's best when viewed by someone standing on your right.

Postby Guest » August 27th, 2003, 1:29 pm

I am also a big fan of Jay Sankey's coins across versions. I have experimented with Mr. Clean Coins across, but get more mileage and bigger reactions out of performing it with only two coins a la Tenkai pennies. I usually pull the old gag of a coin travelling from hand to hand, and then back again with one coin to get them warmed up. Then I move into the the Tenkai pennies which looks so magical and moveless. I usually perform it with borrowed quarters, however, I've gone all the way down to pennies, but that is one rough ride for your pinky. :)
-Oz

Jonathan Levey

Postby Jonathan Levey » August 27th, 2003, 5:31 pm

'Familiar Ring' (Paul Gertner)
'Cross-Eyed Coins Across' (David Williamson)
'Menage et Trois/3 Fly' (Chris Kenner)

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » August 27th, 2003, 5:54 pm

Originally posted by Mike Cookman:
... Anyone else have a favorite Coins Across?
Sure, I like David Roth's 'winged silver' from his first lecture.

Also the one that was published in Apocalypse back in 85 that is three ahead.

And, my 'new' one that folks seem to like performing and some call 'three fly'.

I did the Roth handling for some folks at a table recently, and it really works well when sitting. Just the right body language. I used the Letterman line about faxing and did the thumb wiggle and it went over big time.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Postby Guest » August 27th, 2003, 7:20 pm

John Carney has two nice ones in Carney Knowledge.

mike cookman

Postby mike cookman » August 27th, 2003, 8:05 pm

Bill, your psychological coins across sounds like fun, I wouldnt mind learning it. Jeff, thanks for the heads up on Sankey's routine in Genii. David and Oz, I am also a big fan of Sankey's stuff, but Tenkai pinch type of things scare me. Looks awesome when Sankey does it, and I'll bet it looks awesome when you guys do it, but I would drop the coins or find some other way to goof it up. Jonathan R, I forgot about Cross Eyed Coins Across; that is a great one. Jonathan T, thank you for giving us Three Fly. I have fun playing with the renditions I am aware of, Kenner's and Kurtz's. And Noah, I am jealous..I dont know of Carney Knowledge. Is that a book or video? I have Carneycopia, but I'm not familiar with the other. Ok, time for me to get some coins and start playing. :)

Postby Guest » August 27th, 2003, 9:58 pm

Even though I have "played with" or now perform a few of the versions already mentioned, my personal favorite ever witnessed is the work of Paul Cummins. Check it out on his "Up in Smoke" video. To witness it live is a thing of beauty.
KW :eek:

Postby Guest » August 27th, 2003, 11:52 pm

Originally posted by Oz Pearlman:
...I have experimented with Mr. Clean Coins across, but get more mileage and bigger reactions out of performing it with only two coins a la Tenkai pennies.
That's exactly how I perform it! Two transits seem sufficient to blow people away.

Postby Guest » August 27th, 2003, 11:58 pm

And, my 'new' one that folks seem to like performing and some call 'three fly'. [/QB]
As far as usefulness, it seems to me that learning a Three Fly would give you more bang for your buck than learning a Coins Across. You can perform a Three Fly closeup or parlour, whereas normal Coins Across routines are just closeup pieces.

Now that I think about it, Three Flys sometimes have angle problems, don't they? More so than Coins Acrosses?

Jeff Eline

Postby Jeff Eline » August 28th, 2003, 6:29 am

Keven,

I agree - Paul Cummins' work is really good! I also perfer his backclip to tenkai/goshman. I hope I have this right... Tenkai/Goshman is clipped between the pinky and third finger, while Paul's is clipped between the second and third. Seems to work much easier for me to get the coin in and out.

I also must give another plug for Jankey's routine in Genii this month. I say that because last night I did it at a bar and these guys were blown away. My wrist hurt from them holding so hard, as if that would have kept the coin from traveling. Very cool!! :)

Paul Cummins

Postby Paul Cummins » August 28th, 2003, 8:44 am

Originally posted by Jeff Eline:
Keven,

I agree - Paul Cummins' work is really good! I also perfer his backclip to tenkai/goshman. I hope I have this right... Tenkai/Goshman is clipped between the pinky and third finger, while Paul's is clipped between the second and third. Seems to work much easier for me to get the coin in and out.
Just for the record, gripping the coin between the second and third finger behind the hand is Harvey Rosenthal's grip. On the Up In Smoke video I tried to describe how I get into and out of the Rosenthal Grip and the "management" of the coin and the spectators during those processes.

Paul

Postby Guest » August 28th, 2003, 12:24 pm

My favourite coins across is still "The mystic cross of India".
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
AB Stagecraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Suppliers of Unique Mentalism and Magic World-wide

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » August 28th, 2003, 1:17 pm

Didn't we have this conversation a couple of months ago (David G - I remember you started that one...)

I'll still recommend Jay Sankey's Mexican Jumping Coins (Snakeytised II and the Revolutionary Coin video, as well as one of the books). No back clipping, and pretty much angle proof.

Take care, Ian

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » August 28th, 2003, 5:11 pm

Originally posted by David Groves:
... Three Flys sometimes have angle problems, don't they? More so than Coins Acrosses?
As it happens the original routines are not so angly. One, designed for work standup or at a coffee table, uses means apporpriate to working close with people looking down at your hands. The other, used edge grip, and is well suited for standup/parlor work where the audience has a different angle on the hands.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » August 30th, 2003, 8:50 am

Three Fly alone has a much lesser impact than if I do Winged Silver first. If I do Winged Silver first, I know I will be asked to repeat it, so I repeat it as three fly. First it conditions the audience. In winged wilver the travelling happens in closed fists but happens out in the open in three fly so three fly kills. Second My hands seem more empty during winged silver and they will not suspect a 4th coin. I do a sleight of hand version if you hven realized by now.

Postby Guest » October 17th, 2003, 4:03 pm

6-4-5 Coin Trick (see Mentzer's Magician Nitely, p. 41)

Chris Bruce

Postby Chris Bruce » October 17th, 2003, 6:36 pm

A good and perhaps overlooked coins across is Larry Jennings'
Peripatetic Coins (pg. 24, The Classic Magic of Larry Jennings.) It is
similar to Roth's Shell Coins Across and Gertner's A Familiar Ring.

However, I'd wager that most of the coins across being performed today is
in the 3-Fly/fingertip style.

Chris

Postby Guest » October 17th, 2003, 7:22 pm

Originally posted by Chris Bruce:
A good and perhaps overlooked coins across is Larry Jennings'
Peripatetic Coins (pg. 24, The Classic Magic of Larry Jennings.) It is
similar to Roth's Shell Coins Across and Gertner's A Familiar Ring.

However, I'd wager that most of the coins across being performed today is
in the 3-Fly/fingertip style.

Chris
I distinctly remember this trick, as it appeared in Larry's hands. You see, I was really seriously disturbed about it for quite a few days!

Back in the seventies ('79, I think), before his book had seen the printers' ink, Larry asked me if I knew where he could get a good shell for a walking liberty half. In fact, since I worked for a used magic dealer (Marvin Burger), I had access to a lot of scarce material. And, since close-up was my passion, I had first shot at all the good stuff related to coins and cards, and frequently excercised that option. I had several Connie Haden shells that were exactly what Larry was looking for. We were going to meet at a convention that Bob Brown was sponsoring in Sacramento (this was well before A1 and its' "Convention at the Capital" series.). I told Larry I would bring the shell and a bunch of matching halves with me to the convention. I did, and Larry showed me, as a thank you for giving him the coins I guess, how he was going to use them. Sitting at the bar, drink in hand, he exposed the inner workings of his several handlings of "The Peripatetic Coins" (some of which have still not seen print - don't forget, the first version is in a Charlie Miller Magicana column). I was intrigued by the work, and appreciative of the gesture, since this stuff was still sub-rosa.

Why then, you ask, was I disturbed? Because, less than an hour later, for a table full of very well posted magicians, Larry PERFORMED this coins across. The assisting spectator wwas so aghast at the last coin that he literally THREW the coins in the air. He was absolutely stunned! The rest of the magicians at the table were equally baffled and astonished. And I missed the feeling of magic, the excitement of having been badly fooled. It is harder and harder to experience that magic moment, and to miss it was just - well, frustrating as hell!

So, while I was grateful to know how to bring the wonderment to others, I was also furious that I didn't get to experience it myself. ( You should know Larry was inspired to develop this as a result of his relationship with Milt Kort, that the "Peripatetic Coins" came from ideas of Milts', shared with Larry when he was in Detroit in the early sixties, studying with RB and hanging out in Korts' drugstore.)

Yup, this is definitely worth your consideration, in any of its' incarnations, and you should look for Korts' work as well. A hint - "Korts' Fourth"...

Best, PSC

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » October 17th, 2003, 10:55 pm

Originally posted by Mike Cookman:
Bill, your psychological coins across sounds like fun, I wouldnt mind learning it.
Mike,
It's here... Tubthumping website
Along with one or two other things for the "coin guys".

Postby Guest » October 18th, 2003, 12:32 am

I bit my teeth on Al Shnieder's stuff. His coin work (across) gave meaning to the effect...If you can find his book,read it!

regards,
Doug Conn

PS: and ya can't go wrong with anything from Tubthumping!

Scott Fridinger

Postby Scott Fridinger » October 18th, 2003, 6:07 pm

I am partial to R. Paul Wilson's Crowded coins, but then again I am really just a card guy.
I don't know how it compares to others as far as ease in accomplishing the effect, and impact. But if you have not seen it check it out. It is one the first volume of his DVD's and a preview can be seen on the Marlo "Legend" DVD if you have that one.

Scott

Postby Guest » October 19th, 2003, 10:15 am

I must have tried dozens of coins across routines over the years but my favourite is Al Schneiders, which I learned from his web site.
Slow, with no strange moves, and it looks impossible.
Eddie

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » October 19th, 2003, 12:04 pm

Originally posted by eddieloughran:
I must have tried dozens of coins across routines over the years but my favourite is Al Schneiders, which I learned from his web site.
Slow, with no strange moves, and it looks impossible.
I see a video clip of him performing it on the site, but where does he teach it?

-Jim

Postby Guest » October 19th, 2003, 4:18 pm

where does he teach it?

"Al Schneider on Coins" (probably out of print... if so... someone should reprint it.)

On his website vids, I notice he uses the pop-up move...I don't remember that being in the routine. (I don't have a copy of the book anymore.)

Can anyone confirm that the routine on his site is different than what's in his book?

Just wondering,
Doug Conn

mike cookman

Postby mike cookman » October 19th, 2003, 6:30 pm

Thanks, Bill. I'll be sending you a check soon for the tubthumping book with the coins across and stuff.

Postby Guest » October 20th, 2003, 11:29 am

Doug:

The "Coins Across" routine in Al Schneider on Coins utilizes his handling of the Pop-up Move.

Thank you, by the way, for your video effects available on your website.

--Randy Campbell

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » October 20th, 2003, 12:08 pm

Originally posted by D. Conn:
where does he teach it?

"Al Schneider on Coins" (probably out of print... if so... someone should reprint it.)
Actually, I was wondering where on the website he teaches it, since that was where Eddie said he learned it from. As far as I can tell, though, he doesn't teach it there. Interesting.

-Jim

Return to “Close-Up Magic”