Blizzard by Dean Dill

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
David Acer

Re: Blizzard by Dean Dill

Postby David Acer » July 7th, 2007, 11:08 am

I also like Meir Yedids approach to the plot, called Fadeout, which is constructed in a way that the vanish of the faces looks very magical. Its on his lecture DVD, Published & Unpublished.
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

Postby Guest » July 7th, 2007, 12:13 pm

The above David is right - Meir's trick is very, very good. It could be a highlight routine in anyone's act...and, like Meir often does, he sells the thing for far too little. Fifteen bucks. People must think "For fifteen bucks it can't be any good," but it's fantastic.

Meir\'s Too-Inexpensive FADEOUT

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 7th, 2007, 2:05 pm

There's nothing in this thread that impinges upon Dean Dill's ability to sell his trick Blizzard, which has been on the market for over 10 years. During that time, people are going to come up with their own variations and either sell or publish them.
Blizzard involves a deck switch, but that won't keep anyone from buying the trick because no one has explained how the deck is switched or the items that are sold when you purchase it.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » July 7th, 2007, 4:48 pm

I'm sorry, but from this thread you know what the items is, the item that is used to switch it, and you clearly know the method is a switch. But I understand this is not a total revelation of method and mecahnics. The writeup that came with my Blizzard effect was nothing to write home about, but I love the effect. Still I'm not unhappy that I purchased this item and I have worked on my own presentation for sure. So I hope people still buy this as they should, it is a great trick. It may have been on the market for some time, but clearly we have some folks who don't yet own it or have not seen it out there.

Postby Guest » July 7th, 2007, 7:00 pm

He's right. It's all in the thread.

I guess if Dean Dill is cool with it, it's okay, right?

Postby Guest » July 7th, 2007, 9:14 pm

The trick has been tipped in this thread....... and it's a marketed effect.
All the main elements of the effect are contained within this thread for those folks who cruise magic sites looking for methods behind marketed effects in order to avoid buying them.

I'm not sure how Dean could, or would, be "cool with it".

I'll be polite and just say that I think this thread is quite disrespectful to Dean Dill.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » July 8th, 2007, 3:39 am

I don't think anything has been tipped in this thread that hasn't been in magazine reviews of Blizzard.

I'll mention a related trick for those interested, sort of the inverse of Blizzard, and that's Alan Shaxon's "Ultimate Nudist Deck", in his book "My Kind of Magic." The magus performs a Nudist Deck effect -- a blank deck magically prints cards. The conclusion of the effect is that, after the entire deck prints with faces and backs, Alan tosses the deck into the audience! No deck switch.

I've seen Alan do this and it's a killer.

Matt Field

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » July 8th, 2007, 10:57 am

I tried to track down Alan's version for years, and when I finally found it, I couldn't afford the book.

Arse.

It is, as Matt said, stunning.

Take care, Ian

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 8th, 2007, 1:58 pm

"The trick has been tipped in this thread....... and it's a marketed effect. All the main elements of the effect are contained within this thread for those folks who cruise magic sites looking for methods behind marketed effects in order to avoid buying them."

Sorry, but that's baloney.

Postby Guest » July 8th, 2007, 6:15 pm

I disagree.

I originally had the reasons I disagree in this post, but that just reinforces the exposure.

Postby Guest » July 9th, 2007, 7:49 am

Well, I certainly dont know about anyone else but in my case... I dont have Blizzard but I' ve heard about it for a long time. I kinda know the exact method by reading between the lines here and there over the years and I'm seriously thinking about buying it this week, after reading the present thread.

I certainly wouldnt even think about trying to fit the pieces together by myself cos' Dean deserves that I buy his product, just like everyone else who's got a marketed product on the market.

I may be too nave to think that everyone's a decent human beeing and that even if they happen to "discover" the full method by analyzing this thread, they are going to buy the product in question instead of "making it on their own"...

Just a thought,
Sebastian

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 9th, 2007, 8:37 am

I have to apologize: I missed the references to what the specific gimmick actually is earlier in the thread. I have removed those references from the thread (the posts I've edited are easily seen).
Between going to both the IBM and SAM conventions, I just missed it.
I'll repeat my endorsement of the Jennings method: you can show the faces of many cards, and no deck switch is required. When Dingle used this methodology for his "Technicolor All Backs" it really rocked magicians when the back color of the what appears to be the entire deck changes from red to blue with no chance for deck switches or palming.

jerry lazar

Postby jerry lazar » July 9th, 2007, 9:48 am

Another consideration (delivered here as a purchaser, user, huge fan of Dean's Blizzard) -- even if you told another magician exactly how it worked , said magician is more likely (and wiser) to just buy the marketed product... What do you think he's going to do -- try to replicate it and build it himself? ... Even discounting ethical considerations, as with most such quality products, it's less expensive and laborious to just purchase the original... Not to mention the intrinsic value of the specific instructions, tips, etc. that come with it... In fact, to use another example close to home, Dean probably wouldn't mind magicians tipping "New World" to other magicians, because ultimately they'd have to purchase his gaffed deck!... And if I told you "how" Dean's Box or Triangle worked, do you think that would really put a dent in sales -- or promote them?... Nobody's spending hundreds of dollars just to know the secret!... Yes, better to be safe and always guard secrets, but let's also not lose perspective here, gents!... P.S. I can also personally attest that David Regal's "...alone" is an ingenious and KILLER effect: invisible deck on steroids... I'm not going to tell you how it works, but even if I did, you'd be a fool to not purchase it...

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » July 9th, 2007, 10:16 am

According to this thread , the Jennings handling (entitled Glacier) can be found in the January 2000 issue of Genii.

-Jim

Return to “Close-Up Magic”