chop cup routines

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

chop cup routines

Postby Guest » August 20th, 2002, 9:14 am

Does anyone know of any good chop cup routines (ideally free and on the net, but if not then in print!). I do one but would like to beef it out a bit.

Re: chop cup routines

Postby Guest » August 20th, 2002, 1:14 pm

Don Alan's.

Jon Racherbaumer

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » August 20th, 2002, 5:08 pm

There are many chop cup routines in print, as well as a book that Mark Wilson published many years ago. Routines by Larry Jennings (first published in Genii), Ron Wilson, Earl Nelson, and others are fully explained in various books...Don Alan's prototypal routine is explained in the recent book, IN A CLASS BY HIMSELF and can be seen in the Joe Stevens video.

These sources, alas, require a modest payment of some sort.

I don't mean to harshly chide you, Malcolm, but your words "ideally free" is a tad off-putting to magicians who VALUE their magic and the means by which they learn it. I trust that you, if you perform for payment of some sort, do not offer your services (ideally speaking) gratis?

Onward...

Postby Guest » August 21st, 2002, 2:35 am

Point taken! I am not asking anyone to post something for me gratis, but having said that, I have found some gems (rarely full routines, but more often ideas, moves or approaches that spark my interest) already on the internet, and if someone is willing to share their thoughts and the results of their efforts with magicians at large, it would be pointless for me not to take them up on the offer! (In other words, I'm not requesting, just enquiring).
Cheers!

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » August 21st, 2002, 8:03 am

How to find out if a routine is good.

DO IT.

Notice the reactions.

Try different ideas (of your own)!

Then there is the best chop cup presentation of all time... Paul Daniels' handling of the Ken Brooke routine.

:rolleyes:
Stay tooned.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » August 21st, 2002, 8:04 am

Then, after you have done the chop cup for laymen for a year or two... try the cups and balls with three cups (no magnets) and you will find even better reactions from those watching. :rolleyes:
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » August 24th, 2002, 4:38 pm

then try cups and balls WITH magnets and knock their socks off....

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » August 24th, 2002, 5:29 pm

I find that when I get swinging with JAZZ TYPE routine using cups and balls the magnetic cup and ball are impossible to keep track of.

Frankly, sleight of hand beats the gimmick this time.
Stay tooned.

mike cookman

Postby mike cookman » August 25th, 2002, 6:34 am

Check out John Carney's "Fruit Cup" from Carneycopia, for a chop cup routine that is very magical, won't cost anything, and requires no gimmicks.

David Acer

Postby David Acer » September 20th, 2002, 1:22 pm

I seem to recall Bill Zavis also published an interesting Chop Cup routine in his book, "Diverse Deceipts," which came out sometime in the late seventies, early eighties. He used an ungimmicked styrofoam (or plastic? or paper?) cup, but had the magnet in the tip of a pen. The pen was brandished like a wand, and held in the fingers when the cup was picked up in such a way that the steel-core ball would stick to the inside of the cup due the magnet in the pen. I don't remember how the routine itself unfolded, but the method struck me as clever.
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 20th, 2002, 8:34 pm

David, the idea of doing a Chop Cup routine with the magnet OUTSIDE the cup was Zavis'. While Bill put the magnet in a wand, others have since put in different places, such as a finger ring which works very nicely.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

John Pezzullo

Postby John Pezzullo » September 21st, 2002, 4:04 am

I seem to recall Bill Zavis also published an interesting Chop Cup routine in his book, "Diverse Deceipts," which came out sometime in the late seventies, early eighties.
Just for the record, the Zavis book was titled "Divers Deceits" and published in 1973.

Postby Guest » September 21st, 2002, 8:43 am

George Schindler had a very nice routine in a set of lecture notes. No table needed, it was done on the out stretched hand of a spectator...GREAT walk around piece!

Mike

Sean Macfarlane

Postby Sean Macfarlane » September 21st, 2002, 4:10 pm

Hi Mr. Gallo, I was wondering if you could tell me the name of the lecture notes you just mentioned. cheers

Postby Guest » September 21st, 2002, 5:22 pm

Hi Mr. Gallo, I was wondering if you could tell me the name of the lecture notes you just mentioned. cheers
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Snatch, just for the record...Mr. Gallo is my father :) . Unfortunately, it was 25 years ago when I saw Schindler do the routine. However, should I be able to dig up the notes I'll post the info!

Mike

Sean Macfarlane

Postby Sean Macfarlane » September 22nd, 2002, 3:28 am

Thanks Mike :) I had a look at some of his notes for sale at H and R books, would really like to check that out. I'm using Doug Brewer's routine at the moment with a few variations and it kills, but in the spectators hand that's got to take it to a whole different level. cheers

Postby Guest » September 25th, 2002, 3:48 pm

It has been my pleasure to join forces with James Riser to introduce two new, very tiny chop cups to the magic community. As this is a commercial venture, I shall not say much more. But, if you would like to see some pictures and read what some well know magicians have said about our product, you may visit my Web Site at:
http://www.mindspring.com/~deloomis/
Once on the home page, scroll down to the bottom and click on the link: "For Magicians Only." Please pardon the plug, but it does seem pertinent to the thread.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » September 27th, 2002, 1:25 pm

Roy Cottee, one of my pals out of Ottawa, Canada, has a great routine that doesn't use a Chop cup, but looks like it does. It's called, "A Dixie Cuppa Magic."

The ball jumps from pocket to cup, disappears, reappears, two apples appear and then finally the ball appears again.

Your hands never enter your pockets during the final production of the two apples and the ball.

It appears in Roy's (no longer available) lecture notes. About 10 years ago, Roy agreed to let Richard publish it in an upcoming Chop cup book, but that book never got published.

Perjaps we can prevail upon Roy and Richard to publish it in Genii -- it's a great routine (I did for years using a small plastic cup, two large red balls (instead of apples) and a couple of rolled-up bills for the balls.

Postby Guest » September 27th, 2002, 1:31 pm

Originally posted by Dennis Loomis:
It has been my pleasure to join forces with James Riser to introduce two new, very tiny chop cups to the magic community. As this is a commercial venture, I shall not say much more. But, if you would like to see some pictures and read what some well know magicians have said about our product, you may visit my Web Site at:
http://www.mindspring.com/~deloomis/
Once on the home page, scroll down to the bottom and click on the link: "For Magicians Only." Please pardon the plug, but it does seem pertinent to the thread.
As with all Mr Riser's work. These are gorgeous quality.

For me, Paul Daniels' Chop Cup routine cannot be beaten. The ball jumping from pocket to cup with a lemon and orange as final loads. It's as smooth as silk and kills. I never tire of it.

Postby Guest » September 27th, 2002, 1:40 pm

I agree with Graham. Paul Daniels routine is one of the best, if not the best Chop Cup Routine ever done. Seeing Paul do this onstage to audiences of hundreds is an education. It reminds me of watching Harry Blackstone (Both Jr. and Sr.) kill an audience with just a deck of cards and a few volunteers from the audience.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » September 27th, 2002, 4:31 pm

I believe the routine (but not the personality) that Paul does is the one you get when you buy the Ken Brooke routine (Joe Stevens Magic). :p
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » September 27th, 2002, 4:49 pm

Pete... where can I buy the personality?

Postby Guest » September 27th, 2002, 6:25 pm

Dennis - I believe you can get the personality from any dealer who also deals in the knack. I understand they both are expensive! --Asrah

Postby Guest » December 30th, 2002, 1:25 pm

Simon Lovell taught me a great chop cup routine.
With the chop cup likewise the Stop! force gag
the most important factor has to be the timing.
Unfortunatly this is very difficult to put on to the printed page
Any thoughts ?

Postby Guest » December 30th, 2002, 10:59 pm

Is the Ken Brooke routine that Paul Daniels performs the same routine published in Knowing the Chop Cup by Will Ayling?

Richard Robinson has published several interesting ideas for the chop cup on his Magic Show website, but he does not archive his stuff.

Patrick Page published a very cool chop cup idea. A clear ungimmicked glass with a gimmicked cloth cover.

Frank Starsinic

Postby Frank Starsinic » January 21st, 2003, 2:32 pm

John Bannon has a great chop cup routine and a great cups and balls routine. Both are found in Impossibilia.

Frank

Return to “Close-Up Magic”