Card to forehead

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Cohiba

Card to forehead

Postby Cohiba » August 1st, 2004, 1:57 pm

Here's a question for y'all.
There's some really cool routines out there that use the card to forehead as a kicker, or as misdirection for something else. I considered using the card to forehead in the past, but was talked out of it by my wife. The reason: How does the card stick there? Her thought was that the audience would suspect it stuck there by means of facial "grease" or sweat. She thought that was pretty disgusting. I really couldn't come up with a reasonable explanation, or convince her that it wasn't disgusting, and so have opted out of using the card to forehead. The last thing I wanted was for my audience to be disgusted by one of my tricks, or feel the need to wash their hands after selecting a card.
I think that the most often used method of adhering the card uses saliva, which isn't much better - though the actual method is of little concern since it doesn't change the audience's perception. I do perform card to mouth, and that doesn't bother her - I think because you are lightly gripping a tiny corner of the card with your teeth - a body part whose function is to "hold" things, vs. "sticking" it to a different body part that it shouldn't normally stick to.
I even thought about a comedy method, where you supposedly stapled or taped the card to your forehead - this would give the audience a method for why it is sticking there - but I decided it wasn't worth the effort. Oh, I don't wear glasses, or I could easily stick the card behind them.
What are your thoughts concerning card on forehead? Has anyone else had this same concern? I've had magician friends tell me that the audience isn't going to think twice about it. My wife disagrees. Also - do you have any ideas for alternatives? I may be able to pull off the misdirection with the card in the mouth, but I like the added 6" or so of height by getting it to the forehead area.
Thanks for your response!

Glenn Farrington

Re: Card to forehead

Postby Glenn Farrington » August 1st, 2004, 3:05 pm

If she doesn't like the card on your forehead...the card in mouth has less of a chance.

Done right...the reaction for the card on forehead is one of the strongest in your arsenal...that being said:

If you are a hobbyist or semi-pro performing magic on the side, drop the trick. At the end of the day, life is easier with your wife's respect.

If you are a working pro. Keep doing the trick, the extra work will pay for your marriage counseling.
Comedy's Easy...Dying Sucks.

Pepka

Postby Pepka » August 1st, 2004, 6:45 pm

I heartily agree with Glenn on this. How can anyone have a problem with a card on forehead and not in mouth? I think it is one of those things that when it happens correctly, it is so funny, the last thing they are concerned about "grease on your forehead".
I perform in a bar every week. When I do Simon Lovell's sleight of tongue, as I reveal the card in my teeth, I get a huge laugh, then I turn to the girl who signed it, and raise my eyebrows suggestively. On more occasions than I can remember, she has reached over taken it herself and opened it to show the crowd. (On my birthday, I was prompted to do one trick and a good friend leand over and took the card in her teeth!) I would never seriously ask someone to touch this card. This card has been folded up in my mouth, not just held by the corner in my teeth. On those occasions, the whole bar is laughing hysterically. And the girl gets a bigger ovation than I do.
Pepka

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 1st, 2004, 7:12 pm

I'm sorry Cohiba, but your wife is plain wrong. Don't let her personal "ick" factor put you off doing what has got to be one of the best endings to a card trick on the planet.
I've been doing Card on Forehead for 30 years after learning it from Derek Dingle. It KILLS. Believe me, when people see that card on your forehead, NO ONE is thinking about the method of attachment.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » August 1st, 2004, 8:00 pm

I've been doing card on forehead for a long long time. I don't ever recall anyone asking how it stuck there...they were more curious as to HOW it got there. My advice, just do it...but don't tell your wife!

Mike

Postby Guest » August 1st, 2004, 11:21 pm

If you look at the pictures of working pros in the ads in Genii magazine, you'll notice that many of them have a card stuck to their forehead.

(You can tell by the angle whether they were using a right or left hand bottom palm.)

I do it myself, using Tom Baxter's Action Cop. The card comes out straight up and down, if it matters.

I've seen it performed and taught by Tom Baxter, Karl Norman, and Bill Abbott, who has a version he uses when performing for children.

I know that it's done by Daryl, Bill Malone, Michael Ammar, Michael Finney, Patrick Page, and for that matter, a magician I know in Toronto who shall be nameless ,but who is in fact a good showman.

I think that's enough authority for how well it plays for audiences.

Someone did ask what held it on, and I said "Animal magnetism."

I have no idea how to deal with the problem in marital relations; I would not only not GIVE advice about marriage on this board, I wouldn't TAKE it either.

What are the odds of someone who is (a) a magic nut, and (b) spends hours arguing with computer, being a source of good advice in that area?

But this trick can help pay your mortgage.

Postby Guest » August 2nd, 2004, 9:38 am

Has Dingle's presentation ever been published? I've seen a picture of him with a card on his forehead, but what was the presentation that leads up to the revelation?

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » August 2nd, 2004, 11:05 am

I'd LOVE to read Dingle's script for the trick.

I published my script for Dingle's handling in Tubthumping last year. I use it as an opener nearly every time I do impromptu card magic.

On one occasion a young lady did ask me "How does it stick there?" and I replied "toupee tape". Since I have a forehead that rivals Mike Ammar's it got a laugh...

Your mileage may vary.

Cohiba

Postby Cohiba » August 2nd, 2004, 3:32 pm

Thanks to everyone for your response. A couple items of clarification:
1. When I said that I do card to mouth, I didn't mean the version where the card is folded up, completely in the mouth. I meant the effect where you have the spectator push the (supposed) selection into the deck, and they later look up to see it hanging by the corner from your mouth. It is almost the same effect as card to forehead.
2. Just for the record, my wife and I are happily married. No marriage counseling is required. ;)
I don't really feel that my concern was addressed - everyone pretty much just stated that many people (including big name magicians) do this trick, so it must be ok. I don't believe that that should be the criteria for which you make decisions - but since everyone feels so strongly about it, I think I'll try the trick and see what sort of response I receive.
Thanks again for your thoughts.
Cohiba

C. Hampton
Favorite Magician: Tamariz, DaOrtiz, Coperfield

Postby C. Hampton » August 2nd, 2004, 3:49 pm

Originally posted by Bill Duncan:
I'd LOVE to read Dingle's script for the trick.

I published my script for Dingle's handling in Tubthumping last year. I use it as an opener nearly every time I do impromptu card magic.

On one occasion a young lady did ask me "How does it stick there?" and I replied "toupee tape". Since I have a forehead that rivals Mike Ammar's it got a laugh...

Your mileage may vary.
Bill,

where can I find a copy of "Tubthumping" I am very interested in your scrip.

Thanks in advance.

Carlos
Carlos Hampton
www.damainquieta.com/conferencias

Postby Guest » August 2nd, 2004, 3:56 pm

Just did the card to forehead for my wife, who is easily embarrassed and disgusted, dislikes magic when done by anyone other than Max Maven, and finds fault with me in any way she can. She had no problems with the card to forehead. I asked her if she wondered why it stuck there and she said no, she wondered how it got there and why I was wasting her time.
Steve V

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » August 2nd, 2004, 10:51 pm

Do you wear glasses? If so, tuck the card into your glasses from above.

If not? Do what your audiences like anyway.

You could do the old Goshman gag. He did a coin on forehead then said, "You know how it sticks there? I use a nail." He shows the coin has a large roofing nail on it (easy switch).

You could just add a nail to a card with some sticky stuff.
Stay tooned.

C. Hampton
Favorite Magician: Tamariz, DaOrtiz, Coperfield

Postby C. Hampton » August 29th, 2004, 6:43 am

Bill never mentioned where I can find a copy of "Tubthumping". Can anyone else provide this info?

Thanks
Carlos Hampton

www.damainquieta.com/conferencias

Stefan Nilsson

Postby Stefan Nilsson » August 29th, 2004, 9:09 am

Card to forehead is very difficult. Putting the card on your forehead without getting caught is the easy part. The hard part is to make sure the audience enjoy the experience - every time. You need to take a close look at yourself and your routine and see if this is something you can get away with. A very experienced magician once told me that he does card on forehead most of the time, but if he has any doubt about how the spectator will react, he drops this particular phase from his routine.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » August 29th, 2004, 11:11 am

Originally posted by Carlos Hampton:
Bill never mentioned where I can find a copy of "Tubthumping". Can anyone else provide this info?
Carlos,
He's been working hard :rolleyes: to get the next booklet out and didn't get to this thread until today.

Sorry,
bill

Tubthumping Website

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » August 29th, 2004, 11:28 am

Stefan,
With proper audience management that's not a problem. I use the effect as an opener. Because it has a low magic factor it's a great non-threatening way to introduce yourself and provide your credentials especially to those (usually male) spectators who need to explain how all the tricks are done.

You can prove at the outset that theyre not going to catch you but in a way thats not so mysterious that they cant explain it. That leaves them with Ok, hes just too damn good which is a pretty powerful place from which to start.

Stefan Nilsson

Postby Stefan Nilsson » August 29th, 2004, 12:44 pm

I've seen several performers, even some very experienced ones, alienate one ore more spectators with this trick. That's why I consider this to be advanced material. You need to be really good with people to be able to fool someone badly in front on his friends and have him enjoy it.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”