Custom Made Gaffed Cards, for as little as $2.50

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Custom Made Gaffed Cards, for as little as $2.50

Postby Guest » January 10th, 2005, 11:03 am

Weve been making custom split cards for almost two years now, I know that don't sound like a long time, but we've perfected our technique to an almost perfect gaffed card in fact our inlay split cards have been mistaken for printed gaffs

We're currently offer the following:
Double Backers for $2.50
Double Facers for $2.50
Inlay Splits, diagonal, vertical or horizontal for $4.50
Overlay Splits, diagonal, vertical or horizontal for $3.00
Hofzinser Cards at $15.00
Shim Cards are $10.00 (you can have any card you want, we recommend using a joker as it gives you an excuse to remove it from the pack after using it)
Combination Cards that is Split Face and Split Back on the same card Inlayed $7.00
Combination Cards Split Face and Split Back Overlayed $5.50

Name your card, and well make it, if you want something that requires mini cards, jumbo cards, or an odd/hard to find card back or face design, youll have to supply the cards however, if you only want something made from a regular Bicycle Rider Deck Red or Blue back, we can do it for you with our cards -

Send us an email letting us know what you want, then send us a description of what you want along with a self addressed stamped envelope, payment, and any cards that you feel well need to do the job keep in mind it takes two cards to make a single split face card, and as many as four or five cards to make a Combination Card Split Face and Split Back it also takes a day to press the cards after spiltting them, a day to press the cards after gluing and a dayor so to dry after gluing... Hofzinser Cards take an extra day because our process adds an extra day of gluing

Ken

CardMaker

Re: Custom Made Gaffed Cards, for as little as $2.50

Postby CardMaker » January 10th, 2005, 11:58 pm

Hi Ken,

what do mean by "inlayed" cards?
Leaving just an intact border?

Why that? I don't see a reason for doing so.

Postby Guest » January 11th, 2005, 6:54 am

Cardmaker

Thanks for asking, in doing splits horizontal, vertical or diagonal, Ive learned that there are two ways people want them - an overlay; just putting the new card skin half/portion over the existing card face/back, or an inlay removing a portion of the card skin (face/back) and replacing it with the new card skin. There are plenty of guys out there that realize no one is going to touch their gaffed cards so they dont care if the gaffed in section is over-layed or in-layed

To me the inlayed card looks much better and it seems as if it would last longer, it is the more traditional way of splitting and gaffing a card, personally I would rather do all my gaffs by inlaying the card skin, because it looks so much better in the end. I like to get the card seams so tight that you cant feel them, in fact Ive had my inlayed cards mistaken for printed gaffs; so making an overlay drives me a little crazy, knowing there will be a little bump where the new portion of the card sits on top of the card. But, the overlay card skin isnt my idea; its just something someone came up with to save time and money; some people would rather have the less expensive custom gaffs and Ill give them whatever they want
BTW I have had people with an idea for a gaffed card set order them in overlay to save money, and make sure their effect worked the way they expected, then come back and buy a set made with inlayed cards, so I can see a good reason for over-layed card gaffs.

Thanks Again

Ken

CardMaker

Postby CardMaker » January 11th, 2005, 7:33 am

Ken,

so I must I have misunderstood your first post: by mentioning "inlayed" I thought it was meant like e.g. removing half of a red back WITHOUT removing the original white border around, and then putting in as an "inlay" a half blue back.
So that as a result you have a 2-colored back without "damaged" white border.

I never glue any thin layer onto an intact card, never!

The seams on my cards are always invisible and not able to feel. But I use a method you did not mention ... because you (we) keep the secret, or you just don't use that method.

Anyway, good to have people doing gaffed cards and as long as you are outside Germany everthing will be fine ;)

Postby Guest » January 11th, 2005, 3:22 pm

I totally agree it is nice to communicate with others card makers, I have made gaffs for years, but only in the past two years have I been able to split cards and do it right, before that I was making a lot of prototype cards for some pretty cool effects, so I've making some pretty cool stuff for a long time, it is just that with splitting, and applying some of my old technique, I can do stuff better than ever, my old stuff wasn't bad, it just wasn't perfect, but now it is. and as you said as long as you stay on your side of the pond we'll get along just fine - just kidding / we could live next door to each other and I wouldnt have a problem with you BTW I just wrote a manuscript with my techniques, techniques that make the impossible possible even for a beginning card maker, not to mention I make a Hofzinser Card that doesn't feel thin like most Hofzinser Cards do, yet you can perform with it without fail, and the nice thing here is the card will last longer -

Anyway great meeting you, hopefully we'll get to share ideas in the future either openly here or privately through emails

Take care

Ken

CardMaker

Postby CardMaker » January 11th, 2005, 3:39 pm

Ken,

as said before: nice to meet you here!
Maybe we'll meet at a convention someday.
Maybe you'll send me some of your sample cards and I'll send you some of mine; we'll see.

Do you know Neil M. Lester, and/or Gary Plants? Great men!

Bernd

Postby Guest » January 14th, 2005, 6:50 am

Bernd

I've heard of both of the men you asked about, in fact I have heard good things about both of them. As for card splitting I was taught to split cards by Martini I guess you could say I was his apprentice, after many years of doing it wrong, he came along and showed me how to do it right. Thats why I say Ive only been doing it for only 2 years, when in actuality Ive been messing with or messing up cards for more than 30 ;)

Ken

CardMaker

Postby CardMaker » January 14th, 2005, 1:15 pm

... oh, sure I forgot to mention Marty "Martini" Grams! How could I. Sorry Marty - if YOU are reading this :rolleyes:

Bernd

Postby Guest » January 29th, 2005, 6:00 pm

I too, also make gaffed cards. I have been making them for about 6 month's now after buying the dvd by Magic Makers, I have My Hofzinser cards selling at a local Magic shop. I do have some questions for you guys that have more experience than I do.

Josh

Postby Guest » February 1st, 2005, 10:53 am

I'll help you anyway I can... I do recommend your buying Martini's book " Lickity Split" and my book "Gaffed Again" both books will teach you everything you need to know, Marty's will teach you from beginning to end the old school techniques that we should all know in order to not only gaff cards but to do it right. Marty and I are good friends and speak on a regular bases; he talked me into doing my book after my teasing him about doing one, with some of my easier or more simplified methods, I almost didn't do it on two different occasions, but Marty called me one night and convinced me that it would be worth putting out, he suggested the name and even explained a cover design, I did my best to make it as he suggested. I also included my Hofzinser card, a Carbon Card, and a Shim Card, as well I included 46 photographs and 4 drawings... explaining my super easy way of doing everything from peeling, to my super easy foolproof inlayed split card. You can also feel free to email me anytime I'll help you where I can. As for Hofzinser cards mine allows you to use a club/spade face card for your inner card and a red ace for your outer card, as you know this normally wouldn't work, because the inner card would bleed too much into your outer card... my cards are also a little thicker than the traditional card making it last longer and even feel more like a regular card as I have said in the past I have been gaffing cards for a long long time, only for the past little more than two years now have, I been doing it right, but the stuff I did in the past worked, so the real difference between now and then is marketability, back then I made stuff good enough for me to use, now I make stuff good enough for anyone to use. As we all know a gaff card is not going to be handed out, so if we make our own, they can be made anyway we are comfortable working with, but making them for others they have to be thinner, lined up better/perfect and more durable. That is pretty much the difference between gaffing a card and gaffing a card right after all there is no wrong way to gaff card as long as in the end it looks good and works during your performance - I've been able to combine what I've learned playing with cards for the past thirty years and what I've learned doing it with proper technique over now more than two years to make some pretty cool cards

Take care

Ken

CardMaker

Postby CardMaker » February 1st, 2005, 2:07 pm

Ken,
I like that you want to give help to "newcardmaker" - but some of what you are saying is nonsense. At least posting it that way - here!
Marty did a fine DVD teaching making gaffed cards. Ya. But, ... AND THAT IS MY CONCERN ... he did not give away the inner secrets of making fine gaffed cards or - and I can't believe it anyway, that HE does not know it (better) - HE does keep the secrets. That means: HE does not give away the real inner secrets of making gaffed cards.

I do it my way. And I learned a lot. By help of others; well-well-known gaffed card makers or by the ol'e trial'n'error.

My cards are 1 (yes, 1.00000) card thick; my cards behave like regular cards. I can do Hofzinser cards in blue backed cards... and a lot more.

Getting a gaffed card perfect needs some work - my customers will say that too. But the little extra work necessary - YOU do not mention it (nor does Marty) - will keep customers satisfied and the cards are perfect even after some riffle shuffles.

I am sorry to post that here, but you seem to be like a "let's make some quick'n'dirty money". Sorry. For now I will keep my mouth shut and keep the inner secrets of making first class gaffed cards.

Have luck anyway.

And, dear customers, remember: you'll get what you pay!!

Pro's don't buy cheap - do they?

Postby Guest » February 1st, 2005, 6:12 pm

What a shame...

oliver twist

Postby oliver twist » February 1st, 2005, 8:05 pm

hey magic me in baltimore. You seem like a cool guy. And from B- more. I will be IN touch for some hofsinzer cards.

Postby Guest » February 1st, 2005, 11:49 pm

Hi. I was just curious, is the price for double backers per card? Or for an entire deck?

Postby Guest » February 2nd, 2005, 6:00 am

Bill Great to hear... and Jim, that is per card... if you are looking for Red/Blue, Blue/Blue or Red/Red Bike, you know you are better to just buy a pre-printed gaff, however if you need two different back designs Bee/Bike, Tally Ho/Bike, mini cards etc. then you might want a custom made double backer

Take care

Ken

Postby Guest » February 13th, 2005, 2:53 pm

For those have written me I'm sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner, I lost the list... too many folders on this computer to keep track of everything, anyway, just so you'll know, the book is out, Murphy's distributes it, Doing a google search Click Here will point out a dealer that carries this book, the book teaches a little on card splitting, but is more focused on the split face card, giving a super easy - great looking, diagonal, vertical, or horizontal split, the inlay here is easier than anything else I've seen, and will increase your productivity as well as quality... hopefully this helps, as always if you get a copy and have trouble with ti write or call me direct, anyone will tell you I make myself available to help out anyway I can

Take care

Ken

skott

Postby skott » October 24th, 2011, 3:40 pm

Anonymous wrote:Weve been making custom split cards for almost two years now, I know that don't sound like a long time, but we've perfected our technique to an almost perfect gaffed card in fact our inlay split cards have been mistaken for printed gaffs

We're currently offer the following:
Double Backers for $2.50
Double Facers for $2.50
Inlay Splits, diagonal, vertical or horizontal for $4.50
Overlay Splits, diagonal, vertical or horizontal for $3.00
Hofzinser Cards at $15.00
Shim Cards are $10.00 (you can have any card you want, we recommend using a joker as it gives you an excuse to remove it from the pack after using it)
Combination Cards that is Split Face and Split Back on the same card Inlayed $7.00
Combination Cards Split Face and Split Back Overlayed $5.50

Name your card, and well make it, if you want something that requires mini cards, jumbo cards, or an odd/hard to find card back or face design, youll have to supply the cards however, if you only want something made from a regular Bicycle Rider Deck Red or Blue back, we can do it for you with our cards -

Send us an email letting us know what you want, then send us a description of what you want along with a self addressed stamped envelope, payment, and any cards that you feel well need to do the job keep in mind it takes two cards to make a single split face card, and as many as four or five cards to make a Combination Card Split Face and Split Back it also takes a day to press the cards after spiltting them, a day to press the cards after gluing and a dayor so to dry after gluing... Hofzinser Cards take an extra day because our process adds an extra day of gluing

Ken
Yes I'm wanting to have a few cards made most notably a double back overlap same color not a split but like a shirkinsan card from phil goldstien I have a couple I made but then thats the problem I'm no pro at splitting...Thanks I'll get a list together,
Skott

johnmali

Postby johnmali » October 27th, 2011, 2:37 pm

:)

magic 1

Postby magic 1 » March 14th, 2019, 10:46 pm

they show all this info about the gaffed cards but dont tell you where or how to get them..what good is that?? Bill Joslin

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 14th, 2019, 11:04 pm

Bill, this is an old thread. The post above yours was made in 2010. I think you'll more information if you Google it.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » March 19th, 2019, 6:09 pm

Kent Gunn

Postby Kent Gunn » March 20th, 2019, 10:08 am

Return to “Close-Up Magic”