want to learn full deck false shuffle-

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

want to learn full deck false shuffle-

Postby Guest » January 23rd, 2007, 7:39 pm

I have been going through the "Inner Secrets" trilogy and it is motivating me to start working on a full deck false riffle shuffle. I know that this will be a major commitment (or so I've been told.) Which do people suggest would be a good one to devote the next few months to? And where would be the best place from which to learn it...?

Thanks

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: want to learn full deck false shuffle-

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 23rd, 2007, 7:58 pm

Learn the full deck Blind Overhand Shuffle right out of Expert at the Card Table. You'll have a shuffle you can do in the hands, under any conditions, and won't need a table (or a table with a soft surface).
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » January 23rd, 2007, 10:40 pm

Dan Garrett's "Underhanded Overhand Shuffle." I've seen them all, done by great magicians. They all work, but Dan's is the best, and it's not any harder to learn. If you learn it, email me and I'll tell you how to use it as a control.

It's in Garrett in the U.S.A., which is not that easy to find, but you can contact Dan through His web site .

Postby Guest » January 23rd, 2007, 11:49 pm

bj, you asked for a full deck shuffle . The

Heinstein riffle in the hands with a waterfall

was in this magazine.There is a JCBuneo ( I

think the name is right )in a recent issue of

Penumbra ( H & R Books sells iit ) but it's on

the table. I saw a video on you tube or some

video board........Mike

Postby Guest » January 24th, 2007, 4:44 am

The best false shuffle bar none is one by Simon Aronson. It is basically self working - If you can riffle shuffle a deck, you can do it. It is in 'Simply Simon' and is a riffle shuffle followed by stripping the deck into 3 packets for a triple cut. It really is very good, very easy and yet I never hear anyone talk about it.
The only other person I have seen use it is Steve Forte. So, if you won't follow my example - follow his!

Joe

Postby Guest » January 24th, 2007, 10:58 am

I endorse the Simon Aronson stripout, which is a lot easier to do than BJ Bueno's "Muy Bueno Shuffle" from Penumbra #9. I can also recommend Doug Edwards's "Roll Over And Strip" from Doug Edwards Packs A Wallop.It's easy to do and I like the name.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » January 24th, 2007, 12:04 pm

Check out my Riffle Diffle and Super Riffle Diffle in RIM SHOTS. And there's a good full-deck overhand shuffle in one of the APOCALYPSEs. HARRY LORAYNE.

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » January 24th, 2007, 12:26 pm

Originally posted by Harry Lorayne:
Check out my Riffle Diffle and Super Riffle Diffle in RIM SHOTS. And there's a good full-deck overhand shuffle in one of the APOCALYPSEs. HARRY LORAYNE.
Harry,
Is your "Riffle Diffle" related to Tony Mulle's false shuffle of the same name?

-Jim

Postby Guest » January 24th, 2007, 12:28 pm

Check out Gary Plants handling of the Zarrow Shuffle, its extremely deceptive and looks like a real shuffle:
http://home.houston.rr.com/mylist/index.html

Postby Guest » January 24th, 2007, 12:30 pm

Read about the overhand false shuffle. It is completely false and really deceptive.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » January 24th, 2007, 1:50 pm

No, Jim. I don't think so. I don't remember ever discussing this with Tony, who was a good friend. HARRY LORAYNE.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 24th, 2007, 2:50 pm

Forgot to mention the Gordon Bruce False Overhand Shuffle in Five Times Five: Scotland--a real killer.

Grant McSorley

Postby Grant McSorley » January 24th, 2007, 3:41 pm

Bob Farmer published a great overhand full deck false shuffle in one of his Flim Flam columns a couple of years ago. It's a variation on the Garrett/Hunter/Bruce shuffles. I'm not at home right now, so I can't check the exact issue.

Grant

Postby Guest » January 24th, 2007, 3:55 pm

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
Forgot to mention the Gordon Bruce False Overhand Shuffle in Five Times Five: Scotland--a real killer.
This is pretty much the same as Dan Garrett's Underhanded Overhand Shuffle, except it has more steps (those who do them both will understand).

GArrett's shuffle cuts the deck, runs a few single cards, and then reverses the work to go back into order. Bruce breaks up the deck into more than two blocks, but accomplishes the same thing, using the same methodology.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » January 24th, 2007, 4:32 pm

The methodology of the Bruce and Garrett shuffles are different in that one uses jogs and one doesn't. A complete explanation is in my Genii Flim-Flam column on the subject (the reference is not to hand).

Postby Guest » January 24th, 2007, 5:12 pm

Originally posted by Bob Farmer:
The methodology of the Bruce and Garrett shuffles are different in that one uses jogs and one doesn't. A complete explanation is in my Genii Flim-Flam column on the subject (the reference is not to hand).
December, 2004.

Postby Guest » January 24th, 2007, 5:19 pm

Originally posted by Harry Lorayne:
No, Jim. I don't think so. I don't remember ever discussing this with Tony, who was a good friend. HARRY LORAYNE.
Harry, on p.37 of RIM SHOTS you credit Tony Mulle with giving you the Riffle Diffle for that book.(The Super Riffle Diffle is a tabled variation.)

Postby Guest » January 24th, 2007, 7:33 pm

So many options...where to begin...? Richard, I have Revelations open in front of me...exactly which shuffle is it? "method 1-4" in the "Blind shuffles retaining entire order..." Which one...

thanks!

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 24th, 2007, 9:24 pm

I don't recall offhand--it should be the one with five distinct chops.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » January 25th, 2007, 6:26 am

James: You're absolutely right. I was thinking only of the Super Riffle Diffle. Thanks. Best - HARRY LORAYNE.

Marc Rehula

Postby Marc Rehula » January 26th, 2007, 7:17 am

I recommend the Aronson stripout previously cited from Simply Simon. It's got some great convincers. I saw Alan Ackerman demonstrate a killer in-the-hand Zarrow shuffle, but I can't sufficiently recreate it now!

Danny Archer

Postby Danny Archer » January 26th, 2007, 7:46 am

No one mentioned Steve Beam's Underhand Shuffle so I will ...
Producer of MINDvention
mentalism convention

Postby Guest » January 26th, 2007, 8:57 am

Speaking of Danny Archer, I use an in-the-hands false riffle shuffle I learned from him via The Linking Ring. I think it was in his Parade, but I'm not sure. Regardless, it is something a normal human can learn with some work and patience. It is well worth the effort!
I checked on Danny's web site, and the shuffle seems to be covered in available lecture notes.

Postby Guest » January 26th, 2007, 10:49 am

The Garrett and Bruce/Farmer shuffles use the same strategy but different tactics. With all due respect to Bob Farmer's twisted genius (and Gordon Bruce, whom I've never met), Garrett's is superior precisely because there are fewer things that can go wrong -- like losing your jog. Garrett's procedure is also easier to remember, say I.

I checked out Simon's shuffle at the Castle library yesterday, and it's very nice. I'm not sure I'm going to replace my Zarrow, which I learned 30+ years ago at Tannen's, from Bob Elliott, but if I were just starting out in magic, I might well choose Simon's.

Postby Guest » January 28th, 2007, 2:35 pm

"The Archer Shuffle".....that jogged my memory of seeing Danny at a lecture awhile back...the shuffle is on Danny's video:"Working Alone." It's very nice.

Postby Guest » February 7th, 2007, 12:39 pm

Another thing, if you like the Optical shuffle and the Erdnase Overhand shuffle for retaining the whole deck order, you could combine the 2 pretty easily and add in the Optical shuffle in between the Erdnase one.Its not very hard to figure out, but if you need a explanation feel free to PM me.

Postby Guest » February 8th, 2007, 6:59 am

I know an extremely simple (but deceptive) false shuffle that you can learn in about 30 minutes. Unfortunately, I don't know the name or where I learned it. I'm pretty sure it was from a book on Bizarre or Mentalism. My best guess is Mind, Myth, and Magic; though perhaps it was in Richardson's Theatre of the Mind.

The shuffle is done entirely in the hands. You riffle the inner corners of the packets together while holding them angled (rather than parallel). You simulate pushing the weaved cards together, but in reality you twist them apart.

That description won't help you do the shuffle, but perhaps someone else on the board will recognize my description and refer you to an appropriate source.

It's not as fancy as some shuffles, but it gets the job done. I've fooled plenty of magicians with it. (One said: "What a great way to shuffle the deck in the hands", without knowing that it was a *false* shuffle.)

- Alex

Danny Archer

Postby Danny Archer » February 8th, 2007, 9:57 am

bj nick
"The Archer Shuffle".....that jogged my memory of seeing Danny at a lecture awhile back...the shuffle is on Danny's video:"Working Alone." It's very nice.

Well there you go BJ ... your search is over ... and instead of working on it a few months, you can learn it in a few hours ... the extra time you can devote to your golf game! ...
Producer of MINDvention

mentalism convention

Mr. Alexander

Postby Mr. Alexander » September 2nd, 2009, 9:37 pm

J. Burk Whittaker has a great Zarrow shuffle variant in his lecture. It is a full blind shuffle, you do not use a table as it is all done in the hands, and you can burn the hands and still not catch it...marvelous!

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 2nd, 2009, 10:21 pm

He's a little late in that: there are about a dozen shuffles like that already in print.

PMS

Postby PMS » January 22nd, 2010, 1:12 pm

Dan Harlan teaches one that has to be the easiest one ever.
It sounds perfect and is not done on a table.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”