Erdnase/Houdini Colour Change

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
El Mystico

Erdnase/Houdini Colour Change

Postby El Mystico » January 2nd, 2002, 1:01 pm

The Colour change which used to be known as the Erdnase Change is being increasingly referred to as the Houdini Change, based, as I understand it, on a reference in Selbit's The Magician's Handbook. However, all Sebit says is "For the knowledge of the movement I am indfebted to my friend Mr Harry Houdini". All Selbit seems to be saying is that Houdini showed him the move. And I'd guess that if Houdini had invented it, he would have made the fact clear. It may seem a bit anal, but before we go too far down the 'Houdini Change' route - is it the right way to go? After all, there's enough misattribution in this game as it is... mind you, I have no suggestion as to what it should be called...

Reinhard Mueller

Re: Erdnase/Houdini Colour Change

Postby Reinhard Mueller » January 5th, 2002, 7:56 am

Freunde,
Please let me add a further reference to the "Houdini Color Change". That change is depicted with three photos in "The New Penny Magazine", No. 120, Vol. X, circa 1901. You can find these photos and the Houdini article from that magazine also in the book "The Wizard Exposed" by Johnstone & Dawes, 1987, p.73.
Reinhard

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 5th, 2002, 8:42 am

Dom,
The change in the crediting to Houdini, discovered by Stephen Minch, is due to at least two, if not three, different publications of the sleight with Houdini's name, all prior to the publication of Erdnase. The latest sighting from Reinhard Mueller makes it four. That's good enough for us.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Reinhard Mueller

Postby Reinhard Mueller » January 5th, 2002, 9:34 am

Freunde,
I found another reference which could provide a documentary evidence for the made doubtful color change.
The book "Card Tricks & Conjuring – Dr. J.W. Elliott" was edited by H o u d i n i in 1923. In this book I found several effects and sleights by H o u d i n i. In my paperback edition (Card Tricks & Conjuring, 1980, published by Coles Publishing Company Limited, Toronto – Canada) there I read on pages 133- 134 "Two Effective Moves by Houdini". One of these two moves is the Color Change about which we are discussing here.

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » January 5th, 2002, 11:06 am

OK! I'll shut up!

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 5th, 2002, 12:55 pm

Dom, please don't feel that way. Your question was a damn good one because it led Reinhard to post another source with which I was unfamiliar!
Keep it up! Ask your questions!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » January 24th, 2002, 12:16 am

I thought houdini/erdnase colourchanges were two slightly different versions of the same move!

I didn't realize they were the same!

Return to “Close-Up Magic”