Slow Motion Coin Vanish References?

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Jim Maloney_dup1

Slow Motion Coin Vanish References?

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » January 10th, 2003, 7:06 am

Hey all,
I'd like to check out any references on Slow Motion Coin Vanishes. I'm currently aware of Leipzig's version in "Dai Vernon's Tribute to Nate Leipzig," Peter Samelson's version in his book, "Theatrical Close-up," and a version that Michael Skinner did on his "Professional Close-up" video. Are there any other sources I should check out?

-Jim

Lance Pierce

Re: Slow Motion Coin Vanish References?

Postby Lance Pierce » January 10th, 2003, 7:14 am

Cornelius has one in his book. I've been told that he also has a second handling (which as far as I know is not in print) where he lets you stand behind him to "see the work," and even though he apparently repeats the same sequence of movements, the coin still disappears.

Cheers,

Lance

Glen Guldbeck

Postby Glen Guldbeck » January 10th, 2003, 7:41 am

Hell Jim,

Check out "Slow Motion Coin Vanish" on page 155 of "The Complete Works of Derek Dingle". Wonderful handling I use all the time for an impromtu routine.

Enjoy!

Glen

Dave Shepherd

Postby Dave Shepherd » January 10th, 2003, 7:56 am

Originally posted by Jim Maloney:
I'm currently aware of Leipzig's version in "Dai Vernon's Tribute to Nate Leipzig," ...
I do not have the Vernon Tribute to Leipzig book, but Henry Hay describes what he calls Leipzig's Slow-Motion Vanish in The Amateur Magician's Handbook. I presume it's the same one.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 10th, 2003, 7:56 am

There are several handlings in either Pallbearers Review or Epilogue, including one by Steve Freeman.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » January 10th, 2003, 10:15 am

I'm not at home to check but I think there's one in the Encore series from John Carney. It may also be in Carney Knowledge.

The coin is turned over and over at the fingertips and vanishes during the turning...

There's Sol Stone's handling on Quick and Casual Close Up...

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » January 10th, 2003, 10:42 am

Originally posted by Bill Duncan:
I'm not at home to check but I think there's one in the Encore series from John Carney. It may also be in Carney Knowledge.

The coin is turned over and over at the fingertips and vanishes during the turning...
Sounds like Carney's fingertip vanish described in Ammar's book.

-Jim

Postby Guest » January 10th, 2003, 3:28 pm

If memory serves, I believe that Jean Hugard's booklet "Coin Magic," published by Louis Tannen, featured what it called a slow-motion coin vanish, by John Ramsay. I think it required the magician to be smoking a cigarette, sharply limiting the number of appropriate magicians and venues here in the enlightened 21st century.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » January 10th, 2003, 4:22 pm

One night at Charlie Reynolds' Roy Benson (one of the greatest) took a handfull of half dollars, raised his knee, blanced them on it, picked them back up and somehow they vanished.. poof.. gone in a puff of his cigarette smoke.

Wish my memory glands were working better.

But, it was a real magical moment! :cool:
Stay tooned.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » January 10th, 2003, 5:05 pm

Originally posted by Ralph Bonheim:
... a slow-motion coin vanish, by John Ramsay. I think it required the magician to be smoking a cigarette...
The coin transfer described with the Ramsay vanish is wonderful. It's just not the same with a pen.

In the other hand a smoking magician may look clean though always stink.

A great move, and a great loss. Oh well, smell you later :)
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Postby Guest » January 11th, 2003, 12:49 am

You can see another “Slow Motion Coin Vanish” in Chapter Eight of the RAMSAY LEGEND.
This effect was previously published in a pre-war edition of the “Sphinx”.

Y. Mutobe

Randy Sager

Postby Randy Sager » January 11th, 2003, 9:31 am

In The Art Of Close Up Magic, By Lewis Ganson. There is a version from Roger Klause. I believe it is called The Willow The Wisp Coin Vanish.

The Klause version uses a pen in the routine.

Randy Sager

Postby Randy Sager » January 11th, 2003, 9:34 am

Forgot to mention which volume of The Art Of Close UP Magic Rogers version was in. It is in Vol 1.

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » January 12th, 2003, 11:26 am

Thanks for the references everyone -- I picked up the Pallbearer's Review book yesterday (they didn't have the Cornelius book, otherwise I'd have gotten that as well).

Now here's a question: There are two versions in this book, one from John Cornelius and one from Dingle and Freeman. Are either of these significantly different from the one published in their respective books? Should I still pick up Cornelius's and Dingle's books to check out those references, or will I be ok with what I have?

Thanks,
Jim

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » January 13th, 2003, 7:24 pm

If you buy the Complete Works of Derek Dingle, you're still ahead Jim. It's filled with wonderful magic-even if the "Slow Motion Coin Vanish" is identical to the one in The Pallbearer's Review.

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » January 14th, 2003, 10:38 am

Originally posted by Leonard Hevia:
If you buy the Complete Works of Derek Dingle, you're still ahead Jim. It's filled with wonderful magic-even if the "Slow Motion Coin Vanish" is identical to the one in The Pallbearer's Review.
I'm definitely going to be getting the Dingle book at some point. However, right now I'm just concentrating on the Slow Motion stuff and trying to work up a routine with that. I think if I pick up the Dingle book now, I might get distracted with all the other stuff in it. ;) But if there are significant differences with the coin vanish, I would pick it up just to be complete in my research.

Thanks,
Jim

Postby Guest » January 14th, 2003, 4:02 pm

One other slow motion vanish I feel should be mentioned is the "J.W. Coin Vanish". Unfortunately at this moment all I can tell you is that it is in one of the Horace Bennett books. You can probably contact Jerry Mentzer for info on the exact book it is in as he published all of Bennett's books. Oh hell, get all the Bennett boks as they contain some great performing magic!

Mike

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » January 14th, 2003, 5:15 pm

Thanks Mike! Out of curiosity...what does the "J.W" stand for?
Thanks,
Jim

Postby Guest » January 14th, 2003, 8:58 pm

Out of curiosity...what does the "J.W" stand for?
Thanks,
Jim

Jim,

J.W.=Jimmy Wilson...it is abbreviated because it is such a difficult name to pronounce...ok, just kidding (about the pronounciation)

Mike

Curtis Kam

Postby Curtis Kam » January 15th, 2003, 5:46 pm

Jim, I mentioned this in respnse to your post at The Magic Cafe, but I thought someone might be interested in it over here. So here's the idea: If you like the Skinner slo mo using the folder, (and what's not to like, it's brilliant) here's a little-known fact: the Dai Vernon slow motion Card vanish (Ultimate secrets of Card Magic I think) can also be done with a coin. The same coin as the Skinner vanish, that is. Just jam your nail into the groove, and you're into the Vernon routine.

It makes an unbeatable combination, and the cleanest slo mo I know. (without a hookup)

troublewit

Postby troublewit » June 18th, 2005, 8:03 pm

In reference to Leipzig's Slow motion vanish.....After enjoying the well-written descriptions of the "Thumb Roll", "Coin Roll", (including the "across the palm" addition), the "Boomerang coin", the "Balanced Coin", and "Right There", I became stymied trying to follow Ganson's description of the "Slow Motion Coin Vanish". Truthfully, the way it is written, there seems to be a discrepancy in the sequence of moves. I have never seen this performed, but I have learned many routines from Ganson's lucid explanations in the past, (including the Symphony of the Rings) without much difficulty. Does someone else have a written or filmed description of this effect? Thanks much
Christopher Klocek
337 N Wood St
Griffith, In 46319
219-765-7123
troublewit@aol.com

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » June 18th, 2005, 9:14 pm

Originally posted by troublewit:
In reference to Leipzig's Slow motion vanish.....After enjoying the well-written descriptions of the "Thumb Roll", "Coin Roll", (including the "across the palm" addition), the "Boomerang coin", the "Balanced Coin", and "Right There", I became stymied trying to follow Ganson's description of the "Slow Motion Coin Vanish". Truthfully, the way it is written, there seems to be a discrepancy in the sequence of moves. I have never seen this performed, but I have learned many routines from Ganson's lucid explanations in the past, (including the Symphony of the Rings) without much difficulty. Does someone else have a written or filmed description of this effect? Thanks much
I agree that the Ganson description of the Slow Motion Coin Vanish is pretty bad. You may want to check out Henry Hay's description in "The Amateur Magician's Handbook". Between that and the Ganson description, you should be able to work it out.

-Jim

troublewit

Postby troublewit » June 23rd, 2005, 6:20 pm

Thanks, Jim.
Christopher Klocek

337 N Wood St

Griffith, In 46319

219-765-7123

troublewit@aol.com

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » June 24th, 2005, 11:36 am

Thanks, Jim.
Impressive stuff, fifty years before vogueing became popular too.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » June 24th, 2005, 12:06 pm

Originally posted by Jonathan Townsend:
[b] Thanks, Jim.
Impressive stuff, fifty years before vogueing became popular too. [/b]
Leipzig was certainly no slouch. His material stands up very well today, almost 70 years after he passed on. Just saw Jamy Ian Swiss perform a couple of Leipzig's card items (or derivatives thereof) last night at his Tannen's lecture.

-Jim

Postby Guest » June 24th, 2005, 3:55 pm

I once saw a Liepzig coin vanish that I thought was impossible to do. It is in the Liepzig book, and I tried it many times, but could never get it to look right. I don't have the book to hand, but I think it was called "Right there..." At any rate, you put the coin in your right, palm down, hand, turn the hand palm up and the coin is gone. Turn it palm down and reach inside, and the coin is back! Done well, this is the most amazing vanish I've ever seen. The spectator should be looking over your left shoulder, so he can see what you are doing, sort of a "backstage view" - this actually makes the thing look better! I was stunned the first time I saw it done properly...
I know it's off topic, but the "Slow Motion Vanish" is in the same book, and brought this to mind. I only know two people that do it...

Best, PSC

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » June 24th, 2005, 4:19 pm

I saw Sol Stone do "Right There" once, and yes, it does look very nice. Despite the fact that it is done in slow motion, it's a quick and visual piece that I don't doubt would get great reactions from laymen.

-Jim

troublewit

Postby troublewit » June 25th, 2005, 12:08 am

"Right There" is a thing of beauty. It is one of the few coin effects I like to perform just for myself. As previously stated, the best angle for watching it is the performer's own. It is just as effective if your spectator is sitting right next to you (on either side), and can easily be adapted to a formal setting just by angling the hands down.

It's strength comes from the choreography of the hands....the coin is placed in the fist, poked in the fist with the finger, BOTH hands are immediately turned palm UP (no coin), BOTH hands are immediately turned palm DOWN (no coin), the right hand is curled into a face down fist, and the left fingers IMMEDIATELY withdraw the coin.

Once you have developed the muscle memory for the palms and transfers, it looks very magical and pretty even to the one performing it.

Thanks, Nate
Christopher Klocek

337 N Wood St

Griffith, In 46319

219-765-7123

troublewit@aol.com

Postby Guest » June 27th, 2005, 5:33 pm

Hi,

I have come late to this discussion, which is very instructive.

I just wanted to help Pete Biro's memory gland...

The Benson effect he describes sounds a lot like 'Banished By Benson' from the New Phoneix's first issue (301), which is on the fron tpage, right next to the sad news of Dr. Daley's death.

It must have been a beautiful moment to witness. However the skill to pull that off must surely be tremendous.

Leonard Hevia

Postby Leonard Hevia » July 3rd, 2005, 8:21 pm

I love the Slow Motion Coin Vanish in its various incarnations. I saw Jamy Ian Swiss perform the Leipzig version beautifully on the PBS documentary The Art of Magic. This is the only documented version of the Leipzig vanish that I am aware of. PBS has not upgraded this wonderful documentary to DVD as they have done with so many of their other titles, and I intend to contact them soon about this. I also agree that Ganson's description in the Dai Vernon tribute text does not cut the mustard. I hope this helps you Troublewit.

To Pete Biro: I believe that Roy Benson stack vanish from the knee is described in one of Frank Garcia's Close-up Magic books. :)

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » July 3rd, 2005, 8:37 pm

I saw Jamy Ian Swiss perform the Leipzig version beautifully on the PBS documentary The Art of Magic.
That was not the Leipzig version -- there were at least some pieces of the Dingle/Freeman version in there from what I recall (it's been a while since I've seen it), and I assume some of Jamy's own ideas. Plus, that wasn't even close to slow-motion! ;)

-Jim

Postby Guest » July 3rd, 2005, 8:48 pm

Originally posted by Jim Maloney:
[b] I saw Jamy Ian Swiss perform the Leipzig version beautifully on the PBS documentary The Art of Magic.
That was not the Leipzig version -- there were at least some pieces of the Dingle/Freeman version in there from what I recall (it's been a while since I've seen it), and I assume some of Jamy's own ideas. Plus, that wasn't even close to slow-motion! ;)

-Jim [/b]
Actually, it was mine, which incorporates some of the Dingle/Freeman ideas. Jamy's one of the very few people I taught it to.

Best,

Geoff

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » July 3rd, 2005, 8:50 pm

Originally posted by Geoff Latta:
Actually, it was mine, which incorporates some of the Dingle/Freeman ideas. Jamy's one of the very few people I taught it to.
Well there you go! Thanks for the correction Geoff.

-Jim

Leonard Hevia

Postby Leonard Hevia » July 3rd, 2005, 9:12 pm

Wow!...that came out of left field Mr. Latta. Thank you for pointing out the origin of the Swiss coin vanish from that documentary.

I saw it about two/three years ago Mr. Maloney, and thought Swiss performed it slow enough. I'd have to watch it again.

Will that coin vanish ever see the light of day Mr. Latta?

Edwin Corrie

Postby Edwin Corrie » July 4th, 2005, 2:25 pm

Just for the record, there's a revised description of John Cornelius' version with new photos in "The Ganson Book" by Lewis Ganson (Supreme Magic).

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » July 4th, 2005, 2:44 pm

I saw it about two/three years ago Mr. Maloney, and thought Swiss performed it slow enough. I'd have to watch it again.
Jamy has a fast-paced "wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am" style. His performance of Geoff's coin vanish definitely reflects that. It certainly was not a slow-motion vanish in the way that Leipzig performed it.

-Jim

Postby Guest » July 8th, 2005, 1:46 pm

Jamy may do it slightly faster than I do it, but the "slow motion" aspect of it to me is more about breaking the disappearance and reappearance of the coin into phases than it is about the speed with which it's performed.

I've been teaching it at lectures and will be teaching it at the New York Coinmagic Seminar II a week from now, along with a lot of other unpublished material.

Best

Geoff

Dan Magyari

Postby Dan Magyari » July 8th, 2005, 2:43 pm

Geoff, at LVMI/Coinvention you promised to prepare notes for those in attendance. Can you let us know when they will be available? or, if they are, how to obtain them from you? Thanks.

Postby Guest » July 11th, 2005, 2:52 pm

Originally posted by Dan Magyari:
Geoff, at LVMI/Coinvention you promised to prepare notes for those in attendance. Can you let us know when they will be available? or, if they are, how to obtain them from you? Thanks.
Dan,

The notes will be available first at the New York Coinmagic Seminar (free for attendees), then later from our website, newyorkcoinmagic.com (still underconstruction) or directly from me.

Best,

Geoff

Return to “Close-Up Magic”