one hundred bill switch

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

one hundred bill switch

Postby Guest » March 23rd, 2003, 10:33 am

Hi I would like peoples opinion on this. I'm a 20 year old college student, and I perform magic a lot. A lot of people on campus know me for magic, I did the hundred bill switch to a friend and this girl was watching and she was so amazed that she asked me if i could do it for her. I did the bill switch to a magic friend so he knew the method, but this girl really think i turned a dollar into a hundred. So she wants me to do it to her and let her keep the hundred, and I don't have a problem with give it to your financially i can afford, it but do you guys think i should do it? Will it goes against the too perfrect theory? Any advice would help, plus I really like this girl, and she really believes I can levitate cuz I did a levitation that my mentor invented and she really thinks I can turn a $1 into $100.

Dave Egleston

Re: one hundred bill switch

Postby Dave Egleston » March 23rd, 2003, 11:09 am

This was posted on another website also - Are you looking for love?

If you're a college student and she's a college student.....

I think you're being taken for a ride - It's your money - and it's obvious you're already wasting it in Davis - so what's another hundred?

Dave

Postby Guest » March 23rd, 2003, 11:26 am

hey davis isn't all that bad.

Postby Guest » March 23rd, 2003, 11:26 am

Amir,

I mean this in the best way possible...stop jacking yourself.

www.JeffEzellMagic.com

Postby Guest » March 23rd, 2003, 11:27 am

what do you mean by stop jacking myself?

Postby Guest » March 23rd, 2003, 11:36 am

Just as Dave said, "I think you're being taken for a ride". You must be able to see this. Now, the next pretty girl that enjoys your $100 switch will want to keep it. They'll tell 2 friends who will tell 2 friends and so on. This will become an endless thing that you will now be known for. Buying your girlfriends and such. Cut the cord while you are still ahead.

www.JeffEzellMagic.com

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » March 23rd, 2003, 12:09 pm

You could try this...

Borrow the bill. Change it to a one hundred dollar bill and when she asks to keep it say "sure". Then explain that unless it remains in darkness for a year it will turn back into a one.

Seal the "one hundred dollar bill" in a small opaque envelope, write the date and time on the envelope and give it to her. If she opens the envelope in the next 365 days it's her fault that it changed back into a dollar.

Just make sure you're not around in a year if she waits...

;)

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » March 23rd, 2003, 2:03 pm

Ask to borrow a 20 and change it to a five and let her keep that one.
Stay tooned.

Chris Bailey

Postby Chris Bailey » March 23rd, 2003, 3:57 pm

Nice idea Bill! Just make sure you switch in a $1.00 bill when you put it in the envelope and seal it.

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » March 23rd, 2003, 4:55 pm

I agree with Pete Biro but do it as Perverse Magic.

Borrow the $5 and say you should be able to change it into a $1,000 and when instead it changes to a $1 act surprised and then shake your head in disappointment.

Give her the $1 ane then reach into your wallet and give her 4 singles and apologize.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » March 23rd, 2003, 5:53 pm

That was sort of my point...

Postby Guest » March 23rd, 2003, 7:17 pm

On a similar note...

I perform in Australia where the money is plastic (it doesn't fold easily) AND each note is a different colour!

Any suggestions on what is the best bill switch?

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » March 23rd, 2003, 8:57 pm

color chages with bills?

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » March 23rd, 2003, 9:50 pm

Best bill switch in OZ ??? :confused:
A himber wallet??? ;)
A money maker like Grants??? :rolleyes:
A Roy Johnson envelope??? :p
A top change??? :eek:
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » March 23rd, 2003, 10:04 pm

Bill, Pete and Chris(?)

C_L_E_V_E_R

I;s great to be so admired, but, if she really believes it metamorphosed, how did she get into college/ Other explanation? As all have suggested, she knows it didn't-- but--- heck at $100,00 an "ooh" and "ah" it is expensive admiration,and for your magic, not you.
I think it is an admirable and unique new addition to the entertainment field, WE pay the audience.
Marty Kaplan,Ph.D. Clinical Psychologist

Jeff Eline

Postby Jeff Eline » March 24th, 2003, 2:05 pm

On a different note, did you notice in the reviews in Genii this month, a book will be coming out soon that details several bill switches? Everyone from Malone to Ammar to Sanders to ....? many, many more. Sounded like a nice compilation. I believe it will be from Murphy's Magic? Not sure, I don't have the issue in front of me.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » March 24th, 2003, 2:16 pm

Jeff Eline:

John Lovick's book is indeed coming out one of these millenia. But I don't think that to say it will include "several bill switches" will quite do it justice. This will be a near-encyclopedia of the bill switch. Different methods (with and without thumbtips), different touches on John's preferred tipless method, and presentational approaches.

I am currently on tap to edit the book, which process will begin as soon as the illustrations are in place. In other words, the book won't be out this month, but I think this year is a good bet.

You will certainly know as this book nears publication.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » March 24th, 2003, 3:11 pm

If it doesn't have THE REAL WORK on Johnny Paul's switches... forget it!!! :D
Stay tooned.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » March 24th, 2003, 3:12 pm

Let me know if you want my Billion Dollar Switch. :p
Stay tooned.

C. Hampton
Favorite Magician: Tamariz, DaOrtiz, Coperfield

Postby C. Hampton » March 24th, 2003, 3:24 pm

Let's not forget about the bill switch fro Jarlle Leirpool in his pocket power.
It is without TT and is a very clean handling.
Carlos Hampton
www.damainquieta.com/conferencias

troublewit

Postby troublewit » March 24th, 2003, 3:26 pm

To return to the topic of presentation ideas for the effect, Allan Zola Kronzek published a delightfully logical plot in his booklet "Destiny, Chance, and Free Will" called "Hypnotizing Ben". I adapted and personalized this presentation for an installation ceremony of a new Postmaster, and it plays very well. It also resolves the question of the extra 99$ very nicely. Perhaps you can discern your girlfriend's true motives with this routine?
Christopher Klocek
337 N Wood St
Griffith, In 46319
219-765-7123
troublewit@aol.com

Dave Egleston

Postby Dave Egleston » March 24th, 2003, 6:58 pm

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
Let me know if you want my Billion Dollar Switch. :p
That sounds a thousand times better than a million dollar switch!!

Dave

Danny Archer

Postby Danny Archer » March 25th, 2003, 4:36 pm

Not sure when the Switch Book will be out but it will be the encyclopedia on the $100 Bill Switch - my tipless handling and unique presentation of beginning with a mismade bill will be included -
Producer of MINDvention
mentalism convention

Jon Allen

Postby Jon Allen » March 25th, 2003, 4:59 pm

The Bill Switch Book wil be *the* definitive guide to everything to do with the switch. I have a couple of routines in there, including a bill switch that doesn't change the bill!

I just hope my great great grandchildren aren't the first ones to see it ;)

Postby Guest » May 1st, 2003, 12:54 pm

There is a belief that changing a one dollar bill into a hundred dollar bill, only to insist that it be swapped back, reduces the impact of the effect. Acer gets around this be changing the denomination rather than the value of the note, and Sankey makes holes jump from each corner to one corner. These are, in my opinion, better effects!

:)

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » May 1st, 2003, 1:20 pm

I always thought that the way to make the 1-to-100 seem "real" (bar situation) was to borrow a $1, change it to a $100, hand the $100 to the bartender who opens the cash register and hands you change. You return $1 to the spec and pocket the $99 as a big wad. It is as though you have really increased your wealth by that amount.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » May 1st, 2003, 2:05 pm

Love that idea Steve. Frank Shields would have loved it... and would have gone into a wild count routine for sure.

Later in year, via Stevens, will be selling my $Billion Bill switch (no TT) uses a principle that Finn Jon went nuts over when I showed him.

Stay Toooooooooooooooned.... :D
Stay tooned.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » May 1st, 2003, 9:49 pm

I've always liked Jamy Ian Swiss' answer to why the hundred dollar bill was changed back. It's logical and funny and creates a great moment.

Postby Guest » May 5th, 2003, 12:16 pm

Frankly, I always thought the routine where the $1 changes into a $100 and then is given back to the spectator who loaned it was kind of a ripoff to the volunteer.

One routine I've used is to do the fold and unfold bit where the bill comes upside down, then do it again and do the switch to a mis-made bill!

Then you can say - "See, upside-down to inside out! What more do you want?!"

And change it back so you don't wind up doing time in the pen, obviously, and do Pen Thru Bill as a follow up. "There's so little room IN the Pen after all!"

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com

Postby Guest » May 5th, 2003, 6:27 pm

I never quite got what the big trouble was coming up with a solution to the "Why change it back to a $1 bill?" problem was. I've seen more words wasted on this non-problem than I care to count. As Pete suggested, surely Copperfield and Robert Gallup can't be the only two performers with enough brains in their heads to borrow a larger denomination bill (needn't be a $100) and then turn it into a $1. Bingo, you've got motivation to change it back, and oppurtunity for a couple cheesy jokes before you do, if you must.

What's so hard about that?

Danny Archer

Postby Danny Archer » May 6th, 2003, 8:22 pm

What was the motivation for changing a $100 into a $1? ...
Producer of MINDvention

mentalism convention

Randy Sager

Postby Randy Sager » May 6th, 2003, 9:04 pm

If you are worried about changing the bill back to the $1.00 bill why not do this wich does not change the denomination at all. Roger Klauses's The Name Is The Same is an excellent effect. It doesnt change the value of the bill at all. so you don't have to worry about it at all.

The routine can be found in Encore 3. Or on one of the two Klause tapes put out by A-1

Alpen

Postby Alpen » May 6th, 2003, 9:55 pm

Originally posted by Pete Biro:

Later in year, via Stevens, will be selling my $Billion Bill switch (no TT) uses a principle that Finn Jon went nuts over when I showed him.
Pete,
Is that the same one that was in the GeMiNi booklet, and that uses the bill folded up and paperclipped?

Return to “Close-Up Magic”