Experts "Fried"

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Pete Biro

Experts "Fried"

Postby Pete Biro » February 13th, 2004, 3:54 pm

As one of the group of magicians at the Magic Castle this week, from Spain, Camillo fried all with his closing effect, finding a signed card sealed inside a bottle of brandy. His comedy lead in to it was priceless... when all seemed to fail he wound up the winner when he revealed the card. :cool:

The routine is so commercial and so funny. You must see it. :D
Stay tooned.

Re: Experts "Fried"

Postby Guest » February 13th, 2004, 10:32 pm

Several of us were discussing this with puzzled looks on Wednesday night after the show. Just for completeness sake, the bottle with signed (by two people) card inside was given to the spectator as a souvenir.

Camillo also did a dice-stacking bit that fooled all and sundry. Four white dice in a row on the table, red die to the side. The four dice are picked up by the cup in rapid succession, one die per swing. The red die is shaken and rolled, and comes out white. The cup is lifted and one of the dice -- in the middle of the stack -- is red.

Miguel Puga did several very baffling routines. He had a fantastic version of a any card named effect. He took the deck and put a card down on the table. Then he asked the spectator to name any card. Now he spreads through the deck, showing the card is not there.

Then his left hand picks up the card on the table and turns it over -- it's the named card. The card is just tossed to the table and his hand is immediately seen empty (and no lapping).

In a similar vein he did a transposition effect wherein he showed the Ace of spades and dropped it on the table. Snapped his fingers, then turned it up and it was the ten of hearts. Empty hand, nowhere near the edge of the table. A beautiful switch.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » February 13th, 2004, 11:40 pm

Miguel was the FISM card magic winner this past year. I went to the Castle tonight to see him but it was so croweded I couldn't get in. Should have gone on a dead night.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » February 14th, 2004, 2:53 am

The *switch* Miguel used was so damn clever, I'm surprised no one else has used it before. I loved it. Both close-up acts were top-notch and I can see why they were both past FISM winners. What a great night of magic.

Postby Guest » February 14th, 2004, 6:50 am

Hi,

the idea was used before by another spanish guy Jose Carroll. He used it under cover of a seethrough cover since i guess if you are realy close up you might see how it works?

Best,

Stefan

Postby Guest » February 14th, 2004, 9:50 pm

Is 'Miguel' and Mago Migue the same person? :help:

Postby Guest » February 15th, 2004, 12:38 am

Yes!!

Postby Guest » February 15th, 2004, 2:48 am

By the way - how many Spanish magicians were there this week, and who were they?

1)Mago Migue/Miguel/Miguel Puga
2)Camillo

Any others?

Thanks,

JR

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » February 15th, 2004, 7:39 am

I've been fortunate to see the great Camillo (Vasquez) at New York City's Monday Night Magic. His signature effect, "Signed Card in Brandy Bottle" does not reveal its method even after repeated viewing.

Camillo's presentation is also one of the finest I've ever seen.

Matt Field

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » February 15th, 2004, 8:58 am

Del Rey performed a dice stacking routine very similar to the one your describe.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » February 15th, 2004, 9:51 am

Rafael Benatar is here working the Palace. :genii: Others are Javi Martin, Carlos Vaquera, Karim and Andy Gonzalez.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » February 15th, 2004, 2:47 pm

Brad,

When Del did the dice stack they all vanished at the end.....not quite the same effect.

Gary

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » February 15th, 2004, 3:59 pm

He also performed a sequence where he swept three dice, of one color, into the cup. He then took a green die and played "guess which hand" where upon it disappeared. It was found nestled in the dice which had been just stacked. He closed by making all four dice vanish.

The first phase is similar to what was described here, though admittedly not exact.

Postby Guest » February 15th, 2004, 10:38 pm

Brad:

Very similar. I remember seeing Del Ray at either S.A.M in Boston mid-70s, or Tannen's Jubilee same year. Don't remember any of the effects. I just remember being utterly amazed at what was happening.

Re: Miguel Puga's switch.

I was told by people who know better than I (a large group, to be sure) that the basic technique was used by Henry Evans in his FISM act.

Postby Guest » February 18th, 2004, 11:23 pm

HEllo,
thanks a lot for all people come at the Castle for see the spanish week. All my friends are wery happy with this experience. Me too.
My Real name is Miguel Puga, but sometime, my name is "magomigue" (this is my artistic name in Spain). So, for you, is ok Miguel.
Other things:
My "switch" is based in a very old principle. I used in my FISM act the same principle that my good friend Henry Envans, but not the same technique... are different things. I do that trick, and many more, eigth years ago or more...
The technique and construction to my "name a card" are mines, but the principle is very, very old (150 years.....).
Pepe Carrol, my dear friend :( used this principle in one of his great routines, you can found into his book "52 lovers",
but in a very different way.
Also you can found very nice tricks in Dr, Elliot`s books and Nelson Downs`books.
Old wine in new bottle ;) , and, new effects.
So, thanks a lot for yours interest in my work. Now, I must learn more english, for write more and best in this good forum.
Best regards from Spain
miguel puga
Ah, sorry for my bad english... ;)

Postby Guest » February 19th, 2004, 10:31 am

Just to make it clear that when I said that the "technique" Miguel used was also used by Henry Evans, that 1) I should have said principle and 2) I didn't mean to imply that Miguel had appropriated it from Henry Evans (or even that Henry Evans had originated the technique). I thought Miguel's application was just terrific; one of the cleanest versions of that effect I've seen.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » February 19th, 2004, 11:33 am

Miguel... I am sorry I missed your shows at the Magic Castle... the lines were tooooo looooong and I had to leave...

Maybe next time.

Your English is better than my Spanish, so, no problemo!
Stay tooned.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”