One handed coin vanish

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Bob Walder

One handed coin vanish

Postby Bob Walder » September 3rd, 2003, 2:12 am

Hi,

Can anyone point me towards a good source of material (or PM me some hints!) on a really good one-handed coin vanish. By that I mean ONE HANDED - the other hand goes nowhere near the hand with the coin so there can be no steal - and no sleeves - and you gotta be able to show BOTH sides of the hand, fingers open, immediately the coin has vanished

Cannot find anything in the various books and DVDs I own.

See this clip for the type of vanish I mean:

http://www.infinite-image.net/gone/GODVanish.wmv

Bob

Re: One handed coin vanish

Postby Guest » September 3rd, 2003, 7:51 am

Jay Sankey explains a one-hand coin vanish using Tenkai's Back Pinch in the September issue of Genii (Magicana, page 24-25). You place a coin in the right hand and close it in a fist, on reopening it the coin is apparently gone. Not extremely difficult but you must exercise to build the necessary strength in your finger muscles and timing is very important.

By the way I liked the routine very much and I am working on it so that it flows smoothly.

Take care

Jeff Eline

Postby Jeff Eline » September 3rd, 2003, 7:52 am

I know I brought it up in another threat, so apologize for repeating myself, but the routine in this month's Genii has a great Sankey routine. It uses the Tenkai/Goshman pinch (or the Rosenthal/Cummin's pinch, which I perfer). Your left hand is held by the spectator and your right hand shows a coin - then vanishes it, only to appear in your left. It's pretty cool.

Greg Wilson also has a nice routine on his "Off the Cuff" video called 3/4, and it too uses the same vanish.

Postby Guest » September 3rd, 2003, 7:58 am

What's the difference between the Tenkai/Goshman's pinch and the Rosenthal/Cummin's pinch? I must say I've never heard of the latter.

Postby Guest » September 3rd, 2003, 8:01 am

Hi Bob,
You stated no sleeves, and only one hand. A topit vanish would be perfect for those constraints. You can clearly show a coin in your hand, of almost any size, and bring it up to your mouth to blow on it. Toss it into the topit during the natural motion of bringing your hand up to your mouth to blow on it, and then show your hand completely empty.
-Oz

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » September 3rd, 2003, 8:31 am

Bob Fitch has a bit which simulates the Cornelius Fickle Nickle without the Gimmick. Marcus Eddie has some nice work on this as well. One of his handlings will be in a forthcoming Linking Ring parade. Also, in 1988 I did a fickle Nickle thing with what I called the organic topit, ones hand held slightly open at waste level. With good angle management you can muscle pass the coin into the hand unseen.

Bob Walder

Postby Bob Walder » September 3rd, 2003, 8:36 am

Thanks guys - I am aware of the Tenkai pinch, etc, but am after a move that allows you to show both sides of the hand with fingers open right after the vanish.

See this clip for the type of vanish I mean:

http://www.infinite-image.net/gone/GODVanish.wmv

Bob

Postby Guest » September 3rd, 2003, 10:10 am

Heh Bob,

That vanish you can't do live - that is called dropping a coin on a soft surface off camera.

If you want a real vanish with no sleeves without the other hand going near - and it not just a concealment like a back clip, you can use a top pocket ditch - which if you watch some of Greg's other videos you will see very good use of. Or as stated above some type of vest topit.

Giorgio,

The Middle finger back clip referenced above as the Rosenthal/Cummins back clip is a back clip wherein the coin is clipped between the ring and middle finger at the second phalanx. I prefer this back clip to the Tenkai pinch as well. Here is the history as far as I have been able to determine:

This concealment can be found in embryonic form from the Misers Dream in T. Nelson Downs Modern Coin Manipulation (1900) on page 48, Figure 7.
Sol Stones handling of Tenkai Pennies was published by Martin Gardner in his Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic (1978) This description first appears in Hugards Magic Monthly (Vol. 8, No. 6 Nov) (1950)
The middle finger backclip was heavily explored and popularized and published by Harvey Rosenthal in Karl Fulves Pallbearers Review, Close Up Folio #3 (1976)
The technique is further taught in much greater detail by Paul Cummins in his video Up In Smoke (1999).

Bob Walder

Postby Bob Walder » September 3rd, 2003, 10:16 am

Awww Dan - that was my first assumption, but having seen Greg's other stuff (and worked out the top pocket ditches and back-of hand concealments, etc) I simply assumed he was being too clever for me on this one.

I guess my thinking was that if you are going to go to the trouble of making a video and posting it that you would be demonstrating something "real" - otherwise we are just in David Blaine territory... ;)

Many thanks for the explanation and the back clip history lesson

Postby Guest » September 3rd, 2003, 10:39 am

Greg made that routine to prove a point in some thread on the Magic Cafe. He wasn't trying to pass it off as anything else but camera tricks.

The ditch is possible because of the slower frame rate of the video - its hard to see the coin drop, but if you watch closely when his hand rotates down you can see a quick grey blur of the coin dropping out. You have to watch really close.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » September 3rd, 2003, 10:44 am

Bob Driebeek (Holland) devised a topit in a necktie, which FRED KAPS used for a fabulous one hand coin vanish...

Luckily, Norm Nielsen ( www.nnmagic.com ) sells a beautifully made one.

Tell him I sent you.

:genii:
Stay tooned.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » September 3rd, 2003, 10:45 am

.... And... I "think" Sylvester the Jester has something that would work...
Stay tooned.

Bob Walder

Postby Bob Walder » September 3rd, 2003, 10:47 am

Thanks again Dan for the context - I was clearly being a bit harsh on Greg having not seen the original thread.

After your last post I did go back and check the video and spotted the blur you mention - now looking for the same thing on the REALvanish.wmv clip!!! ;)

Postby Guest » September 3rd, 2003, 12:49 pm

Na, the REALvanish clip is legit - clues:

1. Listen to him when he says "It uses a concept that I have used before." Keep that in mind and watch his other videos.

2. Watch what his left hand does right as he snaps his right fingers.

Bob Walder

Postby Bob Walder » September 3rd, 2003, 1:01 pm

Dan,

Yes I know it is legit - what I meant was I am trying to spot just WHERE exactly the coin goes - I can see where it goes after the initial vanish (very slick!) and I can see the point at which the REAL vanish happens - I can even see HOW he accomplishes it (also very slick) - but I cannot see WHERE it goes (although I have my suspicions :D )

I would think that with this type of vanish you would need to REALLY watch your angles though? :confused:

Postby Guest » September 3rd, 2003, 1:37 pm

He has his angles covered on that video. You won't *SEE* where it goes. But go ahead and put a coin on your hand where he does and make the hand motion he does and see where the coin winds up on you :)

Bob Walder

Postby Bob Walder » September 3rd, 2003, 1:51 pm

;) Pretty much what I had in mind....

The camera angle is REALLY low on that one - do you think it would really work in a live situation? I mean, side angles are all well and good, but if I am faced with a six foot spectator it is going to be pretty hard to hide that move I would think!

One for the kiddies, perhaps.... or if I am ever standing on a chair :rolleyes:

Postby Guest » September 3rd, 2003, 2:10 pm

If you use a small coin then its possible to vanish the coin with the great gimmick Sanada and show the hand empty from both sides directly.
Jay Scott Berry is an expert on Sanada gimmick.

http://www.jayscottberry.com/

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » September 3rd, 2003, 3:46 pm

Get a flat disk about the size of a half dollar and put either toupee tape (I think Berland called it "wiztax") or magician's wax on it.

Attach it to a pull (catgut loop and elastic) and vanish it either under your jacket or up a sleeve.

Vernon used one like this made of wood (Thayer made) that gripped the coin without the wax owing to its shape.

You grip the pull in the purse palm. :genii:
Stay tooned.

Homer Liwag

Postby Homer Liwag » September 4th, 2003, 1:21 am

there's a couple of good barehanded one-hand coin vanishes in the Ross Bertram Books.

homer

Mike Rubinstein

Postby Mike Rubinstein » September 4th, 2003, 4:21 am

Try my miracle one hand coin vanish from my Encyclopedia of Coin Sleights DVD series. It also appeared in my 1982 book, Intermediate and Advanced Coin Technique - Mike

Bob Walder

Postby Bob Walder » September 4th, 2003, 7:41 am

First place I went Mike (well, first DVD anyway... first place I actually went was Bobo...).... then followed up with the Roth and Ammar DVDs... lots of good material there but none fit the criterion of being able to show both sides of the hand clean - open fingers.

Topit/servante (maybe a pull) is the only way to go I think.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » September 4th, 2003, 10:03 am

Originally posted by Bob Walder:
... Topit/servante (maybe a pull) is the only way to go I think.
A few options come to mind here;

1) revolve type move

2) silver shifter

3) thumb tip

4) fickle nickle or now u c it...

5) See Bobo's about that nice jacket or shirt thingie.

6) The tie thing works very well too

**999) better routining.

While fortunate enough to come very close to what you are looking for via slieght of hand, it was another few years before i put into routined use. This because I needed to make it work for me NOT AS A PUZZLE OR CHALLENGE but as a vanish.

I suspect you are getting stuck in a routine and might want to carefully examine the dramatic moments. Also, try to keep in mind that if you start showing your hands at one point in a routine, the audience may expect or worse yet request you do the same in later routines and at awkward moments. Ramsay student here.. so you know how I manage this. :D
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Postby Guest » September 4th, 2003, 10:19 am

Check out Half Dollars in the Mist in Carneycopia. I remember watching John do the vanish repeated and it was one of the most magical things I had ever seen. A room of 40 magicians actually gasped when he turned his hand over to show it empty. Check it out. I think it's exactly what you're looking for, though the angles are a bit tight.

Zech Johnson

Danny Archer

Postby Danny Archer » September 4th, 2003, 12:35 pm

Garrett Thomas has a one-handed vanish on his video (I forget which trick it is explained in) ...
Producer of MINDvention
mentalism convention

mike cookman

Postby mike cookman » September 4th, 2003, 6:44 pm

In his routine Misty Like a Dream, Gary Kurtz teaches a rendition of a Latta one handed vanish, and it looks very magical. It does not suit all of the requirements mentioned above...but it will appear that way to the audience.

Postby Guest » September 4th, 2003, 8:41 pm

Just a quick note to thank Dan for the info. Very interesting thread.

Kendrix

Postby Kendrix » September 5th, 2003, 1:19 pm

I agree with Zech the John Carney routine "Halves in the Mist" is the best and the one I was thinking of.

Postby Guest » September 5th, 2003, 1:25 pm

Originally posted by Brad Henderson:
. Also, in 1988 I did a fickle Nickle thing with what I called the organic topit, ones hand held slightly open at waste level. With good angle management you can muscle pass the coin into the hand unseen.
Sounds like Ramsays Ball Vanish to me...

Return to “Close-Up Magic”