Sankey's time traveller

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Sankey's time traveller

Postby Guest » October 15th, 2002, 6:41 am

Can everyone help where I can find a Jay Sankeys Routine with the time traveller presentation? Greg Wilson gives credit for his "Flashbacks" routine on his new DVD?

Doug Brewer

Re: Sankey's time traveller

Postby Doug Brewer » October 15th, 2002, 9:41 am

Hi Frank! I think the routine you are talking about is on Sankey's Sankeytized 1 and 2 videos. This is basically a plot for Triumph, and is pretty nice.

Postby Guest » October 15th, 2002, 10:36 am

Hi Doug,
Thanks for the information! Do you know exactly on which tape it is? It is only a triumph and can it be done in the hands?
By the way Doug your tape is great. I hope nobody will read this!!!!!! It should be for the underground- so good!!!

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » October 15th, 2002, 11:15 am

Can't help with which video it's on, but it is a slop-shuffle based triumph routine and is in the hands. Like most of Jay's work both the effect and the method are very streamlined and direct. Like some of Jay's work it's very easy to do.

Adam Brooks

Postby Adam Brooks » October 15th, 2002, 12:13 pm

The routine is called "Back in Time", and it appears on Sankey's Sankey-Tized, Volume 1.

Basically, a card is selected and the spectator is asked to remember the image of him about to place the card back into the deck. The card is replaced, and the deck is mixed face-up/face-down (slop shuffle). The top card is seen as an indifferent one, and is given to the participant as a 'magic wand' to wave over the deck. THe deck is then shown to have returned to it's original state, "right before you were about to return your card to the deck." Of course, the card they are holding has changed into the selected card.

-Adam

Postby Guest » October 16th, 2002, 6:05 am

Thanks all for their help!

Postby Guest » October 19th, 2002, 6:53 pm

Best time travel effect I ever saw was performed by Josh Jay (can't remember whose effect though).

Basic triumph effect where the spectator remembers a moment in time where you hold half the deck in each hand and they hold their card.

You shuffle the cards ala triumph, and then you very cleverly return to the moment where they were holding their card.

Really captures the time travel theme well.

Postby Guest » October 19th, 2002, 9:17 pm

Best time travel effect I ever saw was performed by Josh Jay (can't remember whose effect though).

Basic triumph effect where the spectator remembers a moment in time where you hold half the deck in each hand and they hold their card.
That's Sankey's structure of Back in Time to the letter.

--Randy Campbell

Postby Guest » October 20th, 2002, 12:04 am

I just also thought of a silly time travel effect I do sometimes in my pro-routine. I force a card and then tell the spectator that this trick it so difficult to do that it will take me six weeks.

I then pull out a envelope with "From The Future" on it. Inside is a newspaper article with the headline "Magician Finds Card After Six Week Search" with a photo of me holding their card triumphantly and a silly article with quotes etc. from me. It is lots of fun and on is a nice souviner.

Postby Guest » October 25th, 2002, 1:04 am

Originally posted by Nicholas J. Johnson:
...this trick it so difficult to do that it will take me six weeks. I then pull out a envelope with "From The Future" on it. Inside is a newspaper article with the headline "Magician Finds Card After Six Week Search" with a photo of me holding their card ....
That's beautiful. Is it your own? Or where did you get it from?

Sean Macfarlane

Postby Sean Macfarlane » October 25th, 2002, 2:07 am

Sorry to get off topic, but Frank W. mentions that Doug Brewer has a tape? I didn't know this and I am interested in it as I have Doug's book and think it's great, any info would be appreciated.

Cheers

Postby Guest » October 25th, 2002, 3:52 am

That's beautiful. Is it your own? Or where did you get it from?
I didit. Me...I, however, will be selling it in my upcoming book "Veron Was A Hack and 23 Other Attention Seeking Devices."

Just kidding. Here is the story I use:

MAGICIAN FINDS CARD AFTER SIX WEEK SEARCH
Two Of Hearts Finally Revealed.

CANBERRAAfter six weeks of performing a single card trick, local Canberra magician Nicholas J. Johnson, both physically and mentally exhausted, has finally revealed the two of hearts as the chosen card.

I knew I was in for trouble when I let the spectator shuffle the cards said Johnson, the conjuror behind the marathon magic trick,normally I have a couple of options up my sleeves but if they mess up the deck there is not much I can do.

The trick almost ended in disaster in the first few minutes when Johnson, sure he had figured out the spectators selection, almost miscalled the card as the jack of diamonds.

Luckily, he changed his mind at the last minute, instead opting to spend six long weeks carrying out DNA and fingerprint testing on the deck of cards as well as a comprehensive pyschological profile of the spectator.

This is not the first time Nicholas has performed time consuming illusions in the name of entertainment. In 1997 he spent three months pulling rabbits out of a hat. At the time, he commented; Man, those things breed like rabbits.

Today however, Johnson told reporters, After the rabbit in the hat fiasco, I was keen to get back to some classic magic like pulling coins from small childrens ears and card tricks. Lets face it, with cards, the worse thing that is going to happen is that you might get a really bad paper cut.

And while the plucky prestidigitator has barely recovered he is already planning his next prolonged effect where he plans to saw over 200 women in half using only a shoebox and a butter knife.

The spectator who chose the two of hearts over a month ago could not be reached for comment.

;)

Postby Guest » October 25th, 2002, 10:19 am

Hi Snatch, yes Doug has a tape where you can see some of his coin and card routines and you will see that is pro stuff. I ordered it directly from Doug and ask him also for lecture notes and the John George tape. I can only recommended all there
ideas in the highest way!

Postby Guest » October 29th, 2002, 3:33 am

the best time travel routine ive seen is by gary kurtz .. it can be found on flurious i think .. It envolves the the signature disappearing from the card to b4 it was signed ... and is basically an ambitious routine however it possesses a strong plot and legitimate premise..i think its one of the best time travel routines around ...

steven =) :cool:

Jonathan Levey

Postby Jonathan Levey » October 29th, 2002, 6:51 pm

I agree that Gary Kurtz has a nice time travel routine. Although I was recently at Sean Taylors lecture, and he had a nice time travel routine, which was like a mix between: card to wallet and aniversary waltz.... I remember it having a good plot and a nice souvinier ending to it... They are in his most recent lecture notes..
Regards,
J:)NATHAN

Postby Guest » October 29th, 2002, 9:43 pm

My friend, who does almost as many different card tricks as Allan Ackerman, and though not a professional performs for his classes on a constant basis (i.e. dozens of different tricks every week), swears by Roy Walton's "Back Into Time," from the second collected volume. It may be the granddaddy of all these Time Travel themed presentations (but I doubt it -- too obvious of a premise).

The method; absolute simplicity. The reaction, according to Jason; "I've had audible gasps."

I love the Gary Kurtz routine, which is in his book as well, entitled "Hypothetical Possiblities." Richard Kaufman mentions Jennings did some Time Travel routine(s), but I can't find them. Any clues?

--Randy Campbell

John Carey

Postby John Carey » February 10th, 2005, 3:36 am

Hello,
The best 2 time travel effects ive seen and used are ed marlos time machine from ibidem and roberto giobbis handling from card college 5.

The effects are crystal clear and the payoff is rewarding.

The marlo handling is a very nice way of getting your business card into play.

cheers
john carey

gfajuri

Postby gfajuri » February 10th, 2005, 6:49 am

Hello All,

Back in Time, Sankey's Triumph-esque trick, is the first trick in his book, "Sankey Unleashed."

Also worth investigating is a routine used by Stewart James that centered around time travel. It was a bit more involved, as it used several props to "prove" that time travel had taken place, including a rope, a set of slates, etc.

Best,

Gabe Fajuri

Postby Guest » February 10th, 2005, 8:52 am

John Carey,

Have you read Ron Bauer's handling of that Marlo trick from Ibidem? RB has expanded the presentation and made several handling changes to make the trick a commercial performance piece. It was recently published as No. 16 in the Ron Bauer Private Studies series.

Cameron

Andy Hurst

Postby Andy Hurst » February 10th, 2005, 6:24 pm

The Sankey routine 'back in time' also appears on the Best of Sankey DVD's by L&L publishing, although in the explanation he incorrectly credits Sid Lorraine's slop shuffle (to Herb Zarrow I think).

John Carey

Postby John Carey » February 10th, 2005, 10:22 pm

Originally posted by Cameron Roat:
John Carey,

Have you read Ron Bauer's handling of that Marlo trick from Ibidem? RB has expanded the presentation and made several handling changes to make the trick a commercial performance piece. It was recently published as No. 16 in the Ron Bauer Private Studies series.

Cameron

Return to “Close-Up Magic”