MAY GENII IN THE MAIL A WEEK AGO!

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Carl Mercurio

Re: MAY GENII IN THE MAIL A WEEK AGO!

Postby Carl Mercurio » April 29th, 2004, 7:19 am

Dingle issue is excellent. That card in lemon is worth the price. To my knowledge it's never been written up. A gem if you ask me. I also agree that the four tribute issues have been the best since the reign of Richard I.

I like the new format as well, including the bullets on the front cover of what's inside. Some magazine publishing people would probably argue that cover bullets are best used when you're selling a mag on the newsstand. Motivated readers--i.e., subscribers--will turn to the TOC or flip through.

As for me, I always favored the "note from the boss" approach to publishing as the best way to draw the readers attention.

Keep up the great work RK.

Carl

Richard Morrell

Postby Richard Morrell » April 29th, 2004, 10:51 am

Arrived in the UK today, like the new cover and the new headers... no real problem with the changes in font, might take a bit of getting used to but it is readable... will take some time to digest the material as always it looks top notch!

John McDonald

Postby John McDonald » April 29th, 2004, 11:26 am

Arrived in Manchester, UK today, Thursday 29th April.

I like the new layout. :D
Best John

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » April 29th, 2004, 12:25 pm

Edinburgh this morning. Not had time to read it yet.

Take care, Ian

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » April 29th, 2004, 1:16 pm

Arrived today in Annapolis, MD.

I like the "lightness" of the new layout...

the writing was very moving and the images very well selected...this issue was clearly the product of real affection for Derek and stands as a wonderful tribute...

I, like Richard, have certainly had a hell of a time with the count used in "The Fabulous Jumping Card Trick"...For those who are fans of the routine but are discouraged by Richard's statement that he knows of no one but Derek who has mastered the sleight, we can take some heart: Michael Skinner performs the move beautifully in the bonus footage to volume 3 of "The Legendary Repertoire of Micheal Skinner".

Thank you to Richard, Jamy, Pete, Jon et alia for another wonderful issue...

best,

Nathan
www.IllusionArtistry.com

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 29th, 2004, 6:25 pm

Hi Nathan, thanks for the kind words. I don't think that Mike Skinner performed the count the exact same way as Derek: I think Skinner used Frances Carlyle's handling, which was published (perhaps) in one of Hugard's "Card Manipulations" booklets.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

magicpirate82

Postby magicpirate82 » April 29th, 2004, 7:44 pm

April 29th and still waiting here in the East Bay area of northern California. I'm starting to get worried now.....given all the positive reviews above, can't wait to see mine!
:confused:

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » April 29th, 2004, 7:53 pm

I haven't gotten mine yet in Sacramento either. Will just have to be patient.

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » April 29th, 2004, 8:04 pm

Richard,

Thanks for the correction...

speaking of Francis Carlyle -- I would love to see an issue of Genii remembering him...

best,

Nathan
www.IllusionArtistry.com

Postby Guest » April 29th, 2004, 8:11 pm

I just got mine today in Ottawa Canada.. I like the layout.. Its not hard to read at all. I dont know why people were saying it was, its not that big of a difference.. Keep it up.. Dingle's the man

Postby Guest » April 29th, 2004, 9:26 pm

Richard,
Let me just say that the May 2004 issue of Genii in memory of Derek Dingle was nothing short of excellent! Your article on Derek was great and Jamy's tribute was fantastic!

I read and re-read all of the articles on Derek's life several times over. Your choice of "Dingle effects" was superb and I agree with one of the comments here regarding the the card in lemon effect. Very nice.

All I can say is that this issue, in memory of Derek Dingle, more than met my expectations.

Thanks,
Roberto

P.S.-The fonts/cover get my vote as well.

Marvo

Postby Marvo » April 30th, 2004, 9:10 am

Arrived in the Isle of Man today. What a fantastic issue.

Rennie

Postby Rennie » April 30th, 2004, 4:08 pm

For some reason us poor people in northern California are not receiving our issues as quickly as the U.K. Why is that ?
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve is not !!

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 30th, 2004, 8:44 pm

The people overseas who have already received their issues paid for airmail, which costs a lot more than delivery in the United States.

In America, the issues are sent by second-class periodical mail. Many of the issues going to California seem a bit late this month: I suspect they are all sitting in a central post office somewhere, waiting to be sorted and delivered. Second class mail is delivered at the whim of the post office.

Please do not forget that it is not even May first yet, and we are talking about the May issue.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » April 30th, 2004, 9:00 pm

Got mine today! Will weigh in with comments after I've had a chance to give it a proper read.

friedpalm

Postby friedpalm » May 3rd, 2004, 5:09 pm

still no Genii in Santa Monica :help:

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » May 3rd, 2004, 6:06 pm

Got it Saturday in San Mateo.

I like the new look, especially inside. The layout for the first two pages of the Dingle article is quite nice. And the way the tricks are laid out, with the photos on the outside of the page, is simple and clear.

I'd like to see a more interesting cover...something like the left page of the start of the Dingle article would be more compelling to me.

Overall, nice upgrade!

Jeff

Postby Guest » May 3rd, 2004, 8:06 pm

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
The May issue of Genii, featuring our Memorial to Derek Dingle, the second installment of Max Maven's Inquisition, and lots of other fun things, should start to reach people shortly.
Would like to hear from as many of you as possible regarding its arrival date, as well as what you think of our new design and layout.
Richard,
Still no sign of Genii in San Jose, California, the above post was made on April 19th and it is now May 3rd. Just wondering if they are being hand carried to the west coast ? Anxiously awaiting the arrival.
Rennie

Sam Kesler
Favorite Magician: Ed Marlo

Postby Sam Kesler » May 3rd, 2004, 8:25 pm

Finally got the May issue in West San Fernando Valley north of Los Angeles. Great issue. I like the new look. Isn't the font bigger? Being one of "those" left-handed magicians, I like the columnist photos on the left side. :D

Postby Guest » May 4th, 2004, 10:41 am

I read most of the issue last night. Simply superb (as I've come to expect.)

The commentary about Dingle's life (and working in the "real world") were heartwarming, inspiring, sad... and funny! The last few paragraphs of the Swiss' article had me laughing out-loud!

Dingle's Card in Lemon is a masterpiece, thanks for publishing that gem (I'm going to try it as a climax for multiple selection... and if that doesn't 'play', I'll try it another way.)

Those are just a couple quick comments, there's many, many reasons to love this mag (last night, me & my two neighbor-magi were playing 'trivia' with the new Maven column.)

To make a long story short: There is no better value, dollar for dollar than my monthy Genni purchase.

2 cents,
Doug Conn

PS: I think the 'new look' is great.

Edwin Corrie

Postby Edwin Corrie » May 4th, 2004, 11:19 pm

The May issue arrived here in France (French-Swiss border) yesterday. I liked the old look and don't really see anything wrong with the new look either. The content is as mouth-watering as ever.

Derek Dingle was/is a mythical figure to me, and this issue is going to be fascinating reading. The three times I went to New York I saw many great magicians but had always hoped to see DD among them. Now that I'm out here it's tantalising to read that he was set to embark on a lecture tour of France and Switzerland.

Thomas Van Aken
Favorite Magician: Mike Skinner

Postby Thomas Van Aken » May 5th, 2004, 11:00 am

Arrived in Brussels yesterday.
Great issue.
Cheers.
Thomas

Asser Andersen

Postby Asser Andersen » May 5th, 2004, 12:19 pm

Arrived in Copenhagen yesterday. Excellent issue.

I bought a set of cards for Poor Charlie from Scotty York a couple of years ago. The routine included also used the Hamman Count.

In the description for Poor Charlie in Genii it says that Gary Plants is the only person licensed to manufacture the cards ? The Scotty York cards have different backs to tie in with his story line and are split diagonally instead of longitudinally - shouldn't I have bought the cards?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 5th, 2004, 12:31 pm

Scotty York certainly had the right to sell his variation of Poor Charlie.

magicpirate82

Postby magicpirate82 » May 7th, 2004, 8:52 pm

Got it! Showed up here in the Bay area about 4 days ago (just now getting back on line). Looks like another great issue!

Postby Guest » May 10th, 2004, 9:22 pm

Finally made it to San Jose, Ca. on May 10th. Post Office must have taken the magazine and left Washington heading east to get it here.Looks like it was worth the wait.
Rennie

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 11th, 2004, 6:43 am

Isn't the Post Office absolutely the worst?
The magazine isn't printed on east coast, but in the midwest in Fulton, Missouri. It doesn't even have to go all the way across the country! It took the post office three weeks to deliver your magazine!

Jon Elion

Postby Jon Elion » May 17th, 2004, 7:32 pm

I ordered two sets of cards for Derek Dingle's "Poor Charlie" from Gary Plants on the day that the May issue arrived. They were sent promptly (preceded by a nice email confirmation of the order) and are superb! It has been a while since I have ordered from Gary, and I had forgotten about his excellent service and high product quality.

Highly recommended!

James Lee

Postby James Lee » May 18th, 2004, 4:59 am

I just received the June issue with Losander, but am still waiting for May issue to arrive. I suspect someone in the post office has sold my copy on the magic magazine black market.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 18th, 2004, 8:10 am

If your copy of the May issue doesn't arrive by Friday May 21, pleast contact us and we will send out a replacement.

James Lee

Postby James Lee » May 18th, 2004, 9:45 am

Thanks! The June issue is terrific as usual. I'll keep watching for May.

James Lee

Postby James Lee » May 24th, 2004, 5:07 am

Richard: Sorry to report that the May issue still has not arrived. (Loved June!) Thanks for your help.

James

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 24th, 2004, 11:21 am

James, please send an e-mail to the genii office requesting a new copy of May and it will be mailed to you. Thanks.

Postby Guest » May 24th, 2004, 11:53 am

RE; the"Dingle count". Wow was I ever relieved to hear Richard the unmentionable; not all printed material can be done by everyone. I had been using a simple count from the day I read it in Willane's early manuscript, ( I started with John Booth; Marvels of Mystery) and it works wonderfully!. Surprisingly, so have all the others i have used (Irelnd's from Ireland Writes a Book), Willan'es own in the same manuscriopt of 11 Card Trick, my own use of a Biddle move as a false count, even a variation I made in Ireland's count). THEY ALL WORK!.
Then I saw Dingle's on tape years ago at Larry and Marty's in Phila; was bowled over!! But, I never could learn to do it. Crds started spreading out all over the place and I surrendered. So take heart, ANY false count works wonderfully
Marty K

Richard Forster

Postby Richard Forster » May 30th, 2004, 2:15 am

I've just received the May issue (surface mail to the UK). An enjoyable read as always, the only distracting part being the large number of "continued on page..." links to follow.

James Lee

Postby James Lee » June 15th, 2004, 4:59 am

Richard: The May issue arrived safely. Looks great! Thanks for the help.

James

Return to “General”