Best Birthday Tricks

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Best Birthday Tricks

Postby Guest » July 7th, 2004, 9:19 pm

This spring, I started performing table magic at a rather upscale restaurant that is so special that lots of people (adults) invite their friends there to celebrate birthdays. (It's Lula Cocina Mexicana in Santa Monica on Saturday evenings. Come on down!) On any given Saturday night, there may be 5 or 6 birthday parties.

I've been performing Doc Eason's "Birthday Card Trick," and it works well. However, I'm looking for other options that will make the celebrant feel special. The BCT plays a little small for a party of 10 - 12.

Any suggestions on the best birthday tricks out there?

Steve Hook

Re: Best Birthday Tricks

Postby Steve Hook » July 7th, 2004, 9:42 pm

David:

"Birthday Bill", which I published in a Linking Ring Parade in about '84 (the "Ring 199 Parade"), has served me well for over twenty years. I'd be proud to have you use it. Let me know if you can't track it down.

Steve Hook

Postby Guest » July 8th, 2004, 10:34 am

Originally posted by Steve Hook:
"Birthday Bill"....
What's the effect, if I might ask?

Postby Guest » July 8th, 2004, 12:51 pm

There is a great effect called Birthday Banner by Danny Archer! WOrks great for kids and adults!!

Pepka

Postby Pepka » July 8th, 2004, 1:33 pm

Hey David,
I love "The Birthday Card Trick" on one of the Daryl revelations DVDs. My method is a little differently. I take openly remove a card with a lot of room, or have a few blank facers in my pocket. I write a message, like Happy Birthday!!! -Pepka. I use a different control than Daryl, while I have them blow on the card to dry it, I sight count ten cards and replace the birthday card 11th. You can then either give the deck an out faro, or what I normally do, give it a faro slough-off as taught in Card College. This will place the card 21st from top. You then get everyone at the table to sing happy birthday, and deal one card face down for every word of the song. When you get to the last "you", instead of dealing it, I hold it up in a applause cue position, and direct the applause at the birthday boy/girl. I have found this works extremely well at my weekly restaurant gig, and very often gets other tables singing.
Pepka

Gary Freed

Postby Gary Freed » July 9th, 2004, 7:39 am

Though not practical for walkaround, I ALWAYS perform "Unshuffled" for the Birthday Person at a paid gig. Happy Birthday Bill on the side of the deck is (IMNSHO) the ultimate Wow.

Postby Guest » July 9th, 2004, 10:45 am

Last night, I converted the Birthday Card Trick to a political theme.

I was performing walkaround at a political fundraiser, and instead of writing "Happy Birthday, Samantha!" I wrote, "[CANDIDATE] in '04!" People were delighted. The Birthday Card Trick is quite versatile in that way, allowing you to put any message on the blank face.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”