Valentine's Day Magic

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Dan Trommater

Valentine's Day Magic

Postby Dan Trommater » January 27th, 2006, 8:07 am

Hello all.

With only 2 weeks left before the holiday, let's generate a list of great magic for Valentine's Day. I'm thinking routines with a romantic theme that can be done for a couple. Also, please include the source if possible. I'll get the ball rolling.

Doc Eason's Anniversary Waltz - his videos

Gary Kurtz' thing with the two finger rings that move toward one another while hanging on a pencil held by the couple. (can't remember the name) - from his book Unexplainable Acts.

Re: Valentine's Day Magic

Postby Guest » January 27th, 2006, 8:44 am

Great post and good ideas,

My suggestion would be a card effect of Derren Brown's from his Devil's Picturebook video. Only thing is, I can't remember the name of it off the top of my head. It is a beautiful effect where the chosen card ends up changing instantly into a cascade of rose petals.

Look forward to hearing more good suggestions,

Nathan

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » January 27th, 2006, 12:02 pm

Zamiel's Rose.

Nathan Kranzo

Postby Nathan Kranzo » January 27th, 2006, 11:35 pm

I have a manuscript that was written on this theme. I produced it with Keven Williams. All are designed effects for a couple on that romantic evening.

Let me know if you'd like more details.

Jeff Haas has a great routine for producing a ladies ring that was published in Genii a while back.

Later,

Kranzo

Gene B

Postby Gene B » January 27th, 2006, 11:44 pm

Jeff,
Do you recall which issue your routine was in?

Gene

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » January 28th, 2006, 11:39 am

I didn't remember the date, but a search of the forum turned it up...

January 2000, (Volume 63, #1) "Magicana Section," look for "Engagement Alchemy."

My copy of the issue is in the garage somewhere (so it'll take 45 minutes to find!) but I remember that there was a big article about Erdnase on the cover, with a guy dressed as a detective.

Jeff

Spellbinder

Postby Spellbinder » January 28th, 2006, 3:31 pm

The Wizards' Journal #8, just now coming on line article by article, is filled with many Valentine oriented effects.

Also remember, the theme of Love can be carried through the year and is not dependent on any holiday, so once you pick your Valentine effects, they can have a long run.
Phineas Spellbinder
The Magic Nook

Nathan Kranzo

Postby Nathan Kranzo » January 28th, 2006, 9:41 pm

Several people have e-mailed so I just wanted to post the info.

It's a romantic themed manuscript with effects from several great contributers. Steve Mayhew, Greg Wilson, Justin Hanes, Marcelo Contento, Tomas Blomberg, Nathan Kranzo, Luke Dancy, Keven Williams, and more!

I have 18 left and they are $15 postage paid in the US.

Just e-mail me if you are interested.

mail@nathankranzo.com

Thanks,

Nathan

Postby Guest » January 29th, 2006, 11:01 am

If you take fourteen blank cards and write the names of great lovers on them, one card with Romeo, one with Juliet, one with Tristan, one with Isolde, et cetera.

Then you can do a card matching effect in which all the great lovers come together (Say, Brother John Hamman's Million to One Chance)and the kicker is that, depending on the situation, You come together with Me, or Your Name comes together with Her Name, or if you're doing this for a couple, you can use a pair of blanks and have them each write their name on one card so that Jane comes together with John.[Souvenir!]

I have a couple more ideas on this if anyone's interested.

Dan Trommater

Postby Dan Trommater » January 29th, 2006, 8:55 pm

James,

Great idea. Of course we're interested in more good stuff! Lay it on us.

Postby Guest » January 29th, 2006, 10:38 pm

Originally posted by Dan Trommater:
James,

Great idea. Of course we're interested in more good stuff! Lay it on us.
I suggested blanks, but you can also use spot cards, especially if you're going use the Million to One Chance trick, so that Romeo is on a Two of Hearts, and Juliet on a Two of Diamonds.

You can use Kings and Queens, writing the names on the edges,with the words "Great Lovers Of History" on the other edge.

If you're doing it for someone you've just met, you can openly write her name on one card, assuming you have one prepared with your own name.

If you're doing it for a couple, there are two approaches to the souvenir thing.

One is to fasten the two cards together with a pocket stapler and give them to the lady.

OR, you give the card with the lady's name on it, to the man, to put in his wallet, and vice versa.

Dan Trommater

Postby Dan Trommater » January 30th, 2006, 6:31 am

Thanks James. Good ideas. Though, I'm not sure about using cards to represent our spectators in a 'lovie' way, then stapling them (unless it's an S&M themed presentation) :)

Postby Guest » January 31st, 2006, 1:31 am

"What Office Depot hath joined together, let no man put asunder!"

Speaking of asunder, an obvious joke is to have one pair of cards be Brad and Jen [crossed out] Angelina, or any similar gag.

Snow White/The Seven Dwarfs [crossed out] Prince Charming!

Elizbeth Taylor/Conrad Hilton, Michael Wilding, Michael Todd,Eddie Fisher, Richard Burton, Richard Burton, Senator John Warner and Larry Fortensky.

Abelard/Heloise

Fred/Wilma

Lucy/Ricky

Robin Hood/Maid Marian

Mickey/Minnie

Postby Guest » February 3rd, 2006, 11:42 am

"COURTSHIP" from The Card Magic of Nick Trost

Effect: The performer shows the four kings and four queens in separate packets. The packets are placed together and "squeezed." The cards are then dealt in pairs, each pair containing a king and queen of the same suit.

Like nearly everything by Nick Trost, the method is the very model of elegant simplicity.

As a follow-up, you could always do Hamman's Twins (revisiting some of the same couples as in Courtship, but seven years down the road).

I have my own effect that uses a pink and a blue bicycle card dupe in a Chicago Opener type of effect with a boy meets girl plot.

troublewit

Postby troublewit » February 9th, 2006, 10:15 am

Hey, James,
Brother John's "Million to one chance" doesn't seem to be in the "Secrets of Brother John Hamman" book by RK. Is it published elsewhere? Is the effect similiar to "Will the Cards Match?"

Best regards, Chris
Christopher Klocek
337 N Wood St
Griffith, In 46319
219-765-7123
troublewit@aol.com

Postby Guest » February 9th, 2006, 11:06 am

Originally posted by troublewit:
Hey, James, Brother John's "Million to one chance" doesn't seem to be in the "Secrets of Brother John Hamman" book by RK. Is it published elsewhere? Is the effect similiar to "Will the Cards Match?"

Best regards, Chris
It's in the LePaul book, LePaul Presents The Card Magic of Bro. John Hamman S.M.. but if you have Secrets of Brother John Hamman, check out the explanation of the final phase of "The Chinese Miracle" on page 70.

The magician shuffles 10 cards, (or 7, if you don't want to take up too much table room) and deals them face down, the spectator shuffles the same number of cards fairly, and deals them randomly face up on the face down cards.

When they're picked up and turned over, they match.

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » February 9th, 2006, 11:10 am

The booklet "LePaul Presents The Card Magic of Bro. John Hamman S.M." is a Magic Inc.(Magicinc.net) publication and still available through them and Midwest Magic (Midwestmagic.net)for $ 8.00. A neat little booklet.

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » February 9th, 2006, 6:12 pm

I like using John Bannon's 'Out of Touch" from 'Dear Mister Fantasy' on couples. Have one of the two think of a card and the other finds it.

Lorayne's Moving Pencil is similar effect.

Also using one of my own tricks from Gris Gris that has a Cupid matches a couple presentation.
Get the Dirty Work - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

Arnie Fuoco

Postby Arnie Fuoco » February 10th, 2006, 6:44 pm

Copperfield in his 1982 Special did the torn and restored cigarette paper using a small pink heart paper instead of cigarette paper. This is basically Martin Lewis' "Undivided." DC brought up a 7 year old girl on stage and weaved a story about having his heart broken because his girl friend didn't give him a valentine. But then he recovered and restored the heart. The "Undivided" method is really impressive for this effect.
Arnie Fuoco

Postby Guest » February 11th, 2006, 5:06 pm

Originally posted by arnie:
Copperfield in his 1982 Special did the torn and restored cigarette paper using a small pink heart paper instead of cigarette paper. This is basically Martin Lewis' "Undivided." DC brought up a 7 year old girl on stage and weaved a story about having his heart broken because his girl friend didn't give him a valentine. But then he recovered and restored the heart. The "Undivided" method is really impressive for this effect.
I believe this, or something similar is presented on Jay Sankey's Firestarters DVD, which is an obvious source for romantic magic.

Dan Trommater

Postby Dan Trommater » February 16th, 2006, 6:48 am

So, we've past Valentine's Day...

Anyone have any success stories?

(I mean about performing magic)

(No, not THAT kind of magic, get your head out of the gutter...)

Return to “Close-Up Magic”