Ambitious Card

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Ambitious Card

Postby Guest » December 4th, 2007, 1:24 pm

I just came across this quote by Paul Harris in the "Magic Manuscript" (june/july '81):

"I stand to agree with the prevailing train of thought: If all the Paul Harris books were destroyed, and you had to learn just ONE card trick, 'The Ambitious Card' would be the trick to learn."

If that was ever true, 25+ years on, is it still?

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Re: Ambitious Card

Postby Dustin Stinett » December 4th, 2007, 2:31 pm

I think so. The greatness of the AC is its flexibility: I think that its the closest thing card magic has to jazz and the ability to riff. (Though Fusilladethe Multiple Selection Routineis close, but you need multiple people: The AC can be done for one person.)

Dustin

Postby Guest » December 4th, 2007, 4:18 pm

Hee hee!

Paul also says, "Rumor has it that 'Daryl' has the most ambitious Ambitious Card routine ever devised. But like I said, it's just a rumor...."

:D :whack:

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » December 4th, 2007, 5:59 pm

It only took six years from when that was published for Daryl to get his book out, give him a break!

Postby Guest » December 5th, 2007, 6:42 am

I would definitely have to agree that ACR is still VERY effective.(At least for me it is.) Out of all the card routines I perform there is only 1 other routine that gets a better response from my spectators. The thing I like the most about Daryl's teaching is the various explanations he gives when someone questions him on a sleight. Being able to tactfully destroy someone's theory on how you did a move only contributes to the illusion.

JDC

Postby Guest » December 8th, 2007, 7:40 am

Originally posted by Dustin Stinett:
I think so. The greatness of the AC is its flexibility: I think that its the closest thing card magic has to jazz and the ability to riff. (Though Fusilladethe Multiple Selection Routineis close, but you need multiple people: The AC can be done for one person.)

Dustin
First of all I agree with Paul Harris, second, I agree with Dustin. I don't think I have ever performed an ACR methodically the same way twice. My dialogue is always the same, but the moves, they vary based on audience size, positioning, persolnalities, etc. It is extremely fun trying to tailor fit the routine to a crowd.

Brett

jerry lazar

Postby jerry lazar » December 8th, 2007, 8:34 am

Out of all the card routines I perform there is only 1 other routine that gets a better response from my spectators.
Which is...????... Spill!...

Postby Guest » December 10th, 2007, 7:16 am

Originally posted by Jerry Lazar:
[b]Out of all the card routines I perform there is only 1 other routine that gets a better response from my spectators.
Which is...????... Spill!... [/b]
I am keeping the other routine under raps because it is one I have invented. I am in the process of writing a book on the complete breakdown with 3 different versions of this trick. I should be done with the book by the end of the year and will then get a copyright before sharing it with a Chris Rose here in Phoenix. Once he tests it out in the trenches, I will gladly introduce it to the rest of the magic community. The routine involves cards and mentalism and has so far impressed more laymen than any ambitious card routine I have done so far. Keep in mind that most of the people I perform for are associates, friends or family which is why I need a working magician to test it in more professional environments.

Postby Guest » December 16th, 2007, 12:06 pm

Originally posted by castawaydave:
I just came across this quote by Paul Harris in the "Magic Manuscript" (june/july '81):

"I stand to agree with the prevailing train of thought: If all the Paul Harris books were destroyed, and you had to learn just ONE card trick, 'The Ambitious Card' would be the trick to learn."

If that was ever true, 25+ years on, is it still?
Not only does this play very well but I really enjoy performing this routine. I've always had a great time with it.

Postby Guest » December 16th, 2007, 12:39 pm

Originally posted by Silly Walter:
...Not only does this play very well but I really enjoy performing this routine. I've always had a great time with it.
The challenge is not so much about the card coming to the top of the pack as it is getting the audience to get beyond the mere puzzle and find the situation itself somehow interesting.

Postby Guest » December 16th, 2007, 1:46 pm

Spot-on Jonathan--That is why I love watching Tommy Wonder do Ambitious--he draws people in and makes them freak.

Postby Guest » December 16th, 2007, 4:47 pm

The "mark" sees their card going into the middle of the deck, yet it keeps appearing on top. Their focus is on trying to see it come to the top ( because it is traveling through half the deck at great speed )

The routine needs to end in a way that supports the premise. Ending with the classic pop up move ( does anyone know the true creator of this move? ) in order to "help them" see what's happening is the best ending in my opinion.

The card materializing in wallets, boxes, old ladies garters, etc. does not support the premise of the trick, as entertaining as some of these endings are to watch for Magicians.

Postby Guest » December 16th, 2007, 5:00 pm

From Daryl's "Ambitious Card Omnibus" (pg. 30):

"The Pop-Up Card (Frederick Braue)
The final phase of the routine is the classic Fred Braue ploy, first published in 'Expert Card Technique'.

Hugard and Braue kicked ASS!!

Postby Guest » December 16th, 2007, 5:02 pm

Originally posted by Speaks The Truth:
The "mark" sees their card going into the middle of the deck, yet it keeps appearing on top. Their focus is on trying to see it come to the top ( because it is traveling through half the deck at great speed )...
Doesn't that risk frustrating the audience or winding them up to more readily notice anything abrupt or fast happening in tricks which follow?

Postby Guest » December 16th, 2007, 5:11 pm

Originally posted by Jonathan Townsend:
Originally posted by Speaks The Truth:
[b] The "mark" sees their card going into the middle of the deck, yet it keeps appearing on top. Their focus is on trying to see it come to the top ( because it is traveling through half the deck at great speed )...
Doesn't that risk frustrating the audience or winding them up to more readily notice anything abrupt or fast happening in tricks which follow? [/b]
Some people watch and enjoy for the sake of entertainemnt. Some watch and want to catch the secret move and get frustrated or yelp with delight when not seeing it.

Tommy Wonder, in his Ambitious routine, addresses the fact that after the first two times the card appears on top of the deck, they are now "buring his hands" and he can't do anything. So, he takes advanatge of that and starts,as he says "clowing around" with them.

A Magician with solid technique and deft skills doesn't worry about moves being noticed in future tricks, because they perform what seems to be moveless magic. They are experts in audience management and leading them where they need them to go.

Postby Guest » December 16th, 2007, 6:25 pm

When some people read this this they will laugh:
http://erlandish.blogspot.com/2007/12/patter.html

Postby Guest » December 16th, 2007, 6:50 pm

Okay, what was slipped into that gin and tonic?

Postby Guest » January 10th, 2008, 8:35 pm

I was told once that the pop-up move from Expert Card Technique was actually Vernon's. Then again, as I understand it, most of that book is purported to be Vernon's stuff which isn't too difficult to believe.

Postby Guest » January 10th, 2008, 8:59 pm

JamesAlan makes a good point.
I have also long heard that a lot of the material in "Expert Card Technique" was mis-credited and Charlie Miller, Jack MacMillan, Paul Rossini, Dai Vernon et al were rooked out of credits.

Where is the official run-down on who did what in that great book?

Hugard and Braue kicked ass?

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » January 11th, 2008, 9:54 am

An annotated edition of "Expert Card Technique" is long overdue. Seems like a lot of the proper credits could still be restored even at this late date.

Am I the only magician, who considers himself a cardman, that really doesn't like the ambitious card?

Not saying it's a bad trick but I really don't like doing it and I don't like watching it very much. For a single audience, walkaround trick, give me a version of triumph any day.
Get the Dirty Work - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

Postby Guest » January 11th, 2008, 10:54 am

Originally posted by Ryan Matney:
An annotated edition of "Expert Card Technique" is long overdue. Seems like a lot of the proper credits could still be restored even at this late date...
Some ago a discussion got as far as asking Richard Kaufman to publish such a work and a request made to Paul Chosse to handle the crediting oversights as he had direct exposure to Vernon, Miller and others affected by the actions of one of the authors of ECT.

Brandon Hall

Postby Brandon Hall » January 11th, 2008, 11:24 am

For someone wanting to learn more about the AC routine, would you recommend Expert Card Technique, Daryls Ambitious Card, or the WGM DVD Ambitious Card as a place to start?
"Hope I Die Before I Get Old"
P. Townshend

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » January 11th, 2008, 1:38 pm

Jonathan,

I think such a book could,and should, be done. After "Expert at the Card Table" Hugard and Braue's "Expert Card Technique" might be the most important card book of last century.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » January 11th, 2008, 2:02 pm

Brandon,

If you can find a copy of Daryls book, grab it. It is the best reference out there. The DVD is good, but the book is better. The WGM DVD is one of the better in series, if memory serves. But it is a group of routines. Daryls projects give you the building blocks.

Dustin

Brandon Hall

Postby Brandon Hall » January 11th, 2008, 3:18 pm

I'll keep my eyes open for Omnibus and pick up Harry Loraynes Close-up Card Magic and The WGM DVD in the meantime.
Thanks Guys!
"Hope I Die Before I Get Old"

P. Townshend

Postby Guest » January 14th, 2008, 10:25 pm

Originally posted by Ryan Matney:
For a single audience, walkaround trick, give me a version of triumph any day.
A standing execution of the triumph without tables during a walkaround.

Sweet. You gave me an idea for a new pet project.

Mark Paulson

Postby Mark Paulson » January 14th, 2008, 10:45 pm

I recently bought the WGM DVD, and it is, in my opinion, a pretty darned good teaching tool. The AC is one of the tricks I've wanted to learn how to do for the past year, and I'm finally getting the hang of it. It's nice to see different handlings.

I'm going to get a copy of Daryl's book as soon as I can, since it seems so highly recommended.

Max

Postby Guest » January 14th, 2008, 11:27 pm

"A standing execution of the triumph without tables during a walkaround."

Consider Mr. Racherbaumer's treatment of a Paul Harris item, called "Sliding Triumph" (pg. 224 of "The Collected Almanac").
Note: People are likely to credit you with tremendous powers--don't let them down.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » January 15th, 2008, 1:07 am

The best version of Triumph for walk around performers is the Slop Shuffle - done entirely in the hands, easy plot to follow and to a layman the result is exactly the same.

Take care, Ian

Postby Guest » January 15th, 2008, 5:49 am

I agree with Ian, the only problem I have is the most magicians make me cringe the way they do the slop shuffle

Postby Guest » January 15th, 2008, 5:55 am

My favorite in-the-hands Triumph -- J.C. Wagner's.

That is all.

Postby Guest » January 15th, 2008, 5:57 am

Originally posted by Philter04:
...A standing execution of the triumph without tables during a walkaround.
If you can drop one hand down below focus with half the pack - you can slide a card around the packet and turn over the entire packet in the process and so come up with something which has half the method handled when they insert their card. ;) This simple maneuver has worked well for the last thirty years though may need some extension of you want to add a proving display like the Jennings/Goodwin thing.

Postby Guest » January 15th, 2008, 12:55 pm

I like bannons "last man standing" it too uses the jenning display.

its beat out all other versions tabled or not for me

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » January 15th, 2008, 9:50 pm

I was thinking of Sid Lorraine's Slop Shuffle or Bannon's Last Man Standing. Jennings had a decent one in "Classic magic" that seems to have been forgotten.

Any good triumph handling is a better trick for me than ambitious card. In fact, I like a lot of card tricks better than ambitious card. Its just never done it for me.

Jon Allen

Postby Jon Allen » January 16th, 2008, 2:06 am

One aspect of performing AC is you can't do any card effect afterwards where you "lose their card by placing it in the deck" or have rhem "place it in the deck".

Postby Guest » January 16th, 2008, 7:39 am

When I perform ACR on the street I treat the deck as an actual prop. I do this by utilizing a vintage looking deck with cards that look stained, aged, faded and cracked. I also sign the initials H.H. on the box before performance.

When I approach a spectator and ask them if they want to see a trick I also advise them about a recent purchase I made. I tell them the deck I am holding was just bought at magic auction and this deck used to belong to Harry Houdini.

After telling the audience I know very little magic I begin to explain how the cards actually do the magic not I. This patter works great with kids and adults, and also seems to take a little bit of attention off of my moves while performing it. The cards once again act as a prop, and using this story also serves as a great means to misdirect my spectators.

JDC

Postby Guest » January 16th, 2008, 8:11 am

Originally posted by J.D.C.:
...utilizing a vintage looking deck with cards that look stained, aged, faded and cracked. I also sign the initials H.H. on the box before performance.

When I approach a spectator and ask them if they want to see a trick I also advise them about a recent purchase I made. I tell them the deck I am holding was just bought at magic auction and this deck used to belong to Harry Houdini.

After telling the audience I know very ...
Finding a theatrical frame for a routine you want to present to an audience is about like finding a picture frame for something you wish to display on the wall - it gives context and acts as a sort of invitation to step into the art.

Houdini was quite the self-promoter so the notion of his being on the front page of the paper wherever he went... and that box - considered an escape or perhaps his metamorphosis?

Postby Guest » January 16th, 2008, 8:25 am

"Finding a theatrical frame for a routine you want to present to an audience is about like finding a picture frame for something you wish to display on the wall - it gives context and acts as a sort of invitation to step into the art."

I have to agree, especially when dealing with strangers. It is hard to just walk up to someone you don't know right off the street and show them a trick without a story or reason as to why? Verbal communication is vital to selling any illusion or trick-unless you're a mime...(even still, there seems to be more successful magicians than mimes) :D

JDC

Return to “Close-Up Magic”