best effects using faro

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Countelmsley

best effects using faro

Postby Countelmsley » November 29th, 2005, 4:21 pm

Just that:

What are the best effects using the faro shuffle? There are some great faro quickies from Lorayne in a few of his books. Micheal Close also has some nice gems in his workers series.

Anyone?
http://www.geocities.com/larrybarnowsky/kotr1.htm
www.geocities.com/larrybarnowsky

Robert Sixx

Re: best effects using faro

Postby Robert Sixx » November 29th, 2005, 4:52 pm

I would have to start with Unshuffled by Paul Gertner.

Sixx

Postby Guest » November 29th, 2005, 5:47 pm

Read "Marlo in Spades". "Nuff sed"...

Best, PSC

Countelmsley

Postby Countelmsley » November 30th, 2005, 11:49 am

Isnt Unshuffled a variation of a Michael Close effect? or is it the other way around? I believe Jim Swain also has a nice handling of this effect in "21st century card magic". This is the one where all the cards are in perfect order at the end with the exception of 2 selections, right?

Is "Unshuffled" in FASDIU?

"Marlo in spades" thanx.

Seb
http://www.geocities.com/larrybarnowsky/kotr1.htm

www.geocities.com/larrybarnowsky

Scott Fridinger

Postby Scott Fridinger » November 30th, 2005, 11:53 am

Unshuffled is in Steel and Silver and is the best Faro effect period. Not sure of it's relation to the Harris effect or the timeline on them.

Scott Fridinger

Postby Scott Fridinger » November 30th, 2005, 11:53 am

If you like a simple but nice revelation of a selection kinda thing, check out "Three-Seven-Jack" in the demo section of the other magic magazine. (Can I say that, Dustin? Richard? :confused: )I use it all the time.

Postby Guest » November 30th, 2005, 11:56 am

I learned Unshuffled from Steel and Silver -- think it was also published in Apocolypse. I'd have to agree it's one killer effect.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » November 30th, 2005, 12:50 pm

Paul Gertner's "Unshuffled" is a great effect. I believe the inspiration for the effect comes from another trick that appeared in Genii by a doctor (that's all I remember!).

Here's a way to make "Unshuffled" pratically self-working: during the effect you have to continually cut at 26. Since the sides of the deck are already covered in marks, I added more indicating where each cut at 26 was to be made.

Postby Guest » November 30th, 2005, 2:29 pm

You, Mr. Farmer, are a genius...
Steve V

Frank Yuen

Postby Frank Yuen » November 30th, 2005, 5:07 pm

The basics mechanics for "Unshuffled" were explained in Genii in the November 1973 issue by Dr. Ewer and a few months later elaborated on by Bob Wicks. They were all basically just "ideas" that needed more filling out. Filling them out is what Paul Gertner did with his routine, "Unshuffled". It was originally published in one of Lorayne's Best of Friends volumes. As mentioned, you can find this routine in Gertner's book, Steel and Silver or his videos by the same name. Doc Dixon published a no reset version in Everything is Funnier With Monkeys. If a faro shuffle isn't in your arsenal, you might want to check out a version that appeared in Magic magazine in March of 1994 by Tenkai Matsuura.

John Wilson

Postby John Wilson » November 30th, 2005, 5:18 pm

I like the Marlo opener.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » December 1st, 2005, 7:32 am

One of the finest Faro tricks ever, is Pit Hartling's "Master of the Mess," from his book, CARD FICTIONS (2003).

A spectator (NOT the magician) mixes a deck face up and face down in a completely random manner (it really is random and uncontrolled).

The magician shuffles the deck and it magically turns all face down, except for a selected card.

I've created a non-faro version, "Messcalero," but to date it is unpublished.

And, if you like that one, check out Marlo's "Mexican Solitaire" (IBIDEM Vol. 1, reprint at page 159, and Harry Lorayne's version, "What A M-E-S!," in PERSONAL COLLECTION (p. 631).

Here a deck shuffled by the spectator ends up arranged in fours of a kind.

I have an unpublished version of this, "Another Fine Mes," in which after the spectator shuffles the deck and cuts the deck, five poker hands are dealt and the magician gets a royal flush.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » December 1st, 2005, 12:43 pm

Glad to see that someone mentioned that Paul Gertner's version, Unshuffled, orinally appeared in BEST OF FRIENDS. It was volume one; that's back in 1982!! Can't believe it. Volume II was 20 years ago! I'm working on Volume III right now. Got any good stuff for me to include? If you do contact me at: harrylorayne@earthlink.net. HARRY LORAYNE.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » December 1st, 2005, 12:52 pm

PS: Does anyone here know how I can contact Terry Lagerould? Last I heard, he was in Nevada. Thanks, HARRY LORAYNE.

Bill Wheeler

Postby Bill Wheeler » December 1st, 2005, 1:27 pm

A few items I use all the time are:

Deja Vu Poker by Darwin Ortiz

Poker Interchange by James Swain

Ultimate Topsy Turvey Aces by Andrew Wimhurst
Driver: Callaway FT-5
Irons: Titlest AP-1
Wedges: Vokey 52,58,64
Putter: i-series Black #9

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 1st, 2005, 2:22 pm

I use the Faro Shuffle for only two tricks at the moment: LePaul's "Gymnastic Aces" and the Kane/Krenzel "Gun Trick."
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » December 1st, 2005, 7:32 pm

Originally posted by Harry Lorayne:
PS: Does anyone here know how I can contact Terry Lagerould? Last I heard, he was in Nevada. Thanks, HARRY LORAYNE.
Harry, I emailed you with a Reno address.

Postby Guest » December 4th, 2005, 12:08 pm

Estimation Aces

Reinhard Mueller

Postby Reinhard Mueller » December 4th, 2005, 2:28 pm

You can read A NAME REVELATION WITH FARO SHUFFLES by Michael S. Ewer, M.D. in GENII, Vol. 37, No. 11, Nov. 1973, pp. 465 468.
Ideas regarding this article were published in GENII, Vol. 38, No. 2, Febr. (publ. in July) 1974, pp. 66 67. The ideas are from Jim Hoy, and from Lu Brent. Most interesting is Lu Brents idea WITHOUT a faro shuffle!

Reinhard

Van

Postby Van » December 4th, 2005, 2:37 pm

Harry Lorayne One Man Parade, Linking Ring, March 1964

Aces Only - With Kings : "My Favorite Card Tricks"
Favorite Aces and Kings : "Deck-Sterity"

Van

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » December 4th, 2005, 2:58 pm

Michael Close's trilogy of effects with a stacked deck that is put into stack with faro's during a set is wonderful. The first effect uses a faro to create a simple sandwich effect (Tut Tut), and the other two effects take place after the pack as been shuffled four times, which creates the stack needed for the two other tricks (Myopia and The Birthday Book).

Myopia is one of the best mindreading effects I know using a pack of cards...

Pepka

Postby Pepka » December 4th, 2005, 3:03 pm

I'll throw in my vote for unshuffled. My second favorite is combination cull by Darwin Ortiz, it is also very similar to Vernash aces by Martin Nash.

Postby Guest » February 16th, 2007, 4:55 am

My vote goes to

Alan Ackerman's "Impromptu Paul Fox". Simply unbelievable (and rather easy to perform).

4 spectators gets a handfull cards each. They mentally pick a card and shuffles their respective pile of cards. The magician shuffles all piles together, and then mentally finds their thought of card (no fishing involved).

A Devil at work.

Postby Guest » February 16th, 2007, 9:29 am

I'd have to throw in Martin Nash's "Ovation".

-kent

Postby Guest » February 16th, 2007, 9:46 am

Allan Ackermans Impromptu Paul Fox
Marlos Original R or B Phantom
Marlos Spade Routine
Marlos Matching Routine (Stay Stack)
Alex Elmsleys Collinspell
David Williamsons Aunt Mary's Terrible Secret
Darwin Ortiz's Combination Cull
Darwin Ortiz Deja Vu Poker
Darwin Ortiz's Si Stebben's Set Up Secret (not an effect, a setup for Si Stebbins, use it when yo do stack effects)
Darwin Ortizs Deja Vu Poker
Derek Dingle's Mental Triumph
Paul Gertners Unshuffled
Martin Nash Ovation
The Two Detectives from Card College
Harry Loraynes Interlaced Location
(my first faro shuffle effect, easy to do)
Harry Loraynes The 29th card, and Combination Aces
Racherbaumers Red Hot Mental Mamma
Jeff Pierce by Power of Four
IUD (Invisible Ungimmicked Deck)
Paul Swinford has a booklet called "Faro Fantasy" with several faro effects.
Juan Tamariz book Mnemonica has some effects with faro.
Faro stuff in Bruce Cervon's Hard-boiled Mysteries.
Great Scott it's Magic - The Trilogy.

Postby Guest » February 16th, 2007, 1:36 pm

I USE the Faro for professional work; and mostly its 'straddle' sister! I have quite a few effects in Explorations and in The Second 16th Card Book - a NEW book I've just released with Tom Craven. Easy Ace Estimation (see my book Nocturnal Creations - also performed by Harry Lorayne on his DVD series for L&L) is my easy-man's version of Marlo's Miracle Aces.

When I was younger/nimbler/better-sighted, I could do 8 perfect Faro's in about 1 minute. Then, as I got older and wiser, I thought - WHY?

Turning 'pro' (15 years ago) knocked all that stuff right on the head!

Here's a thought for other pros: "I can't wait to take magic up as a HOBBY!" Isn't that funny....

Paul Gordon

Postby Guest » February 16th, 2007, 2:59 pm

Have any tried John Guastaferro's Clairvoyance? Definately one of the best faro effects I've ever used. Better than Vernon's OOSOOM (imho). Flame on.

Postby Guest » February 23rd, 2007, 11:35 am

Aunt Mary's Terrible Secret by David Williamson uses a Faro, along with a couple of other things. It's the reason I learned a Faro in the first place.

I must also agree with everyone else on Unshuffled. It's a great trick...

Postby Guest » March 5th, 2007, 3:03 pm

Hey Ed, how goes it.

Anyway, Alex Elmsley has a hold section of his Collected Works, vol. 2, dedicated to the Faro Shuffle, there is tons of stuff there, along with information on performing and perfecting the shuffle. Check it out, if you can find the book.

And Williams's Aunt Mary is great too.

Postby Guest » March 22nd, 2007, 1:00 pm

> When I was younger/nimbler/better-sighted, I
> could do 8 perfect Faro's in about 1 minute. > Then, as I got older and wiser, I thought -
> WHY?

I just did 8 faros in 52 seconds. Do I get a prize or something?

Postby Guest » March 23rd, 2007, 2:08 pm

"When I was younger/nimbler/better-sighted, I
> could do 8 perfect Faro's in about 1 minute. > Then, as I got older and wiser, I thought -
> WHY?

I just did 8 faros in 52 seconds. Do I get a prize or something?"

----------------------------------------

I read that somewhere too... 8 faros in a minute and you're considered good at it... That's what I do, after a few years of playing with it. Still waiting for my medal, too... ;)

By the way, not to wax my own car, but before I started to learn to faro, I read everywhere that it was one of the hardest move to master but I honestly never felt that it was beyond my abilities to do it correctly. I just had the knack right away. Anybody else here feels the same way?

Seb

Postby Guest » April 14th, 2007, 6:31 pm

George McBride's "Stebbins Prediction" in Duffie's ebook. (Scotland Up Close - October 2005)

Andrew Loh

Postby Guest » April 18th, 2007, 4:49 pm

Noone mentioned "F.I.R.P." from "Richard's Almanac"...

Postby Guest » April 18th, 2007, 4:58 pm

Okay, I realize noonee mentioned it because "F.I.R.P." is a technique, not an effect, AND the EFFECTS using it are probably not the best things to do using a Faro...

BUT I thought "The Faro-Obsessed" would want to hear it mentioned for the sake of completeness...It is an interesting thing to play with...

Postby Guest » April 18th, 2007, 10:56 pm

Postby Guest » April 19th, 2007, 10:01 am

Hi Matts,

I would like to add a great poker deal to the list. This gem comes from Penumbra vol 9 and is entitled Bertrum, Braue, Ben by David Ben. I came upon it while tracking down the Muy Bueno shuffle. The routine does require tabled faro's which can be substituted with 'in the hands' faro's if preferred. The deal is brisk and short and has three phases. The final phase is a Texas Hold'em deal in which the spectator can choose four, five, six or seven hands. The magician/shark always wins. It takes some practice but is great fun to perform and packs a real punch with the right audience.

Regards,

Paul H

Postby Guest » April 19th, 2007, 3:38 pm

I learned the Faro to be able to do Vernon's Aces from Harry Lorayne's Card Magic. However, it is a trick in which the method approaches being the effect.

Postby Guest » April 20th, 2007, 9:50 am

I've always wondered the source for this effect that Mike Skinner taught me years ago that uses the faro shuffle and this seems to be the place to inquire. The effect is that the four aces are inserted into different parts of the deck and the deck is given one perfect faro. The aces can now be spelled out of the shuffled deck one by one, making four piles in the process. In the second part, the spectator cuts any amount of cards from pile 2 and places on pile 1, pile 3 to pile 2, pile 4 to pile 3 and remainder of cards in hand (left after the initial spelling) onto pile 4. The piles are assembled and the aces can be spelled once more.

Can anyone identify the source of this effect for me?

Thanks

Return to “Close-Up Magic”