Favorite Sankey routine

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Favorite Sankey routine

Postby Guest » August 8th, 2002, 12:41 am

I don't know how I missed the whole Sankey boat, but I did. I just bought The Very Best of Jay Sankey, and am enjoying his routines quite a bit.

In fact, at my regular restaurant gig, I'm devoting entire evenings to his effects.

Anybody have a favorite Sankey routine?

Here are mine:

*@#X! I've been doing this routine for some time, but another magician's version (Pat-Trick from Australia, whch I believe is better). @#X! is the card trick with the folded-up card in a paper clip that's in plain view the entire time, and then a chosen card is signed and vanished, and the paperclipped card turns out to be the signed selection.
*Traveling Expenses: Punched holes on a dollar bill move around. Sure The Pothole Trick is better, but it's also best performed at night and the prepared cards are so delicate that they can't be carried in pockets at all tmes. This trick can be performed off the cuff with just a thumbtip and a loaded bill..
*Prediction Impossible: A card marked with an X on the back turns out to be the volunteer's freely named card. Very convenient for walkaround, very direct.
*Back in Time: Card chosen, returned, slop shuffle, cards are instantly righted. Time-travel theme makes it neat.

Conversely, I've talked with a couple heavyweight card guys who have told me that they don't like Sankey's stuff that much. I think it's quite commercial and nice, but does anybody disagree? Trying to get some perspective on material that I'm going to devote some time to learning.

Re: Favorite Sankey routine

Postby Guest » August 8th, 2002, 7:46 am

Just three of many:

Mr. Clean Coins Across,
Card To Pocket [The (expanded) Homing Card]
Stirring Silver

--Randy Campbell

mike cookman

Postby mike cookman » August 8th, 2002, 9:27 am

No Jacket Required(video-Non Stop Magic party), Paralel Worlds(video-best of, vol.3), The Changeling(lecture notes-Amazing Tricks). Very magical stuff. Easy to do and, yes, very magical. And fun. Groovy.

Postby Guest » August 8th, 2002, 9:57 am

Ill always remember the night at an Abbotts Close-up Convention back in the early 90s when Jay showed up for an unannounced, late-night lecture. Id heard about him in his one man issue of Richards Almanac, but, oh man, did he fool the pants off of everybody there. The best part was that he started by doing an actual show, without explanations. He finished off his set with Meltdown, and Im here to tell you that the effect is perfectly named, because thats exactly what I experienced, a complete and total meltdown of the senses. (Hey, Jay. How about a performance only tape? Please?)

However, in terms of effects of Jays I actually use, Ive been doing Airtight since I first had the guts to stuff a deck into a balloon. In my small party work (from 10 30 people attending the event) I will often do a half-hour or so of walk around, followed by a half-hour show for the whole group. Airtight not only provides an extremely powerful and unusual closer, but at the end I give the deck to the host while its still encased in the balloon. Ive had more than one repeat client show me the deck in the shriveled balloon years after that first show, and thats the type of lasting reminder thats worth its weight in gold.

Oh, and while it may be politically incorrect, I still do the trick from Sanky Panky where you draw an airplane on a piece of flash paper, fold it into a paper airplane, light it up, and catch it restored. (I dont have the book with me, so Im not sure of its exact title, but I think its called Down in Flames.) Obviously, I dont do this one very often, but its the very incorrectness of the plot that appeals to me. Your mileage may vary.

Zech Johnson

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » August 8th, 2002, 8:50 pm

"Dough" from 100% Sankey is the best ungaffed bill penetration I know.

Postby Guest » August 8th, 2002, 9:59 pm

I love Stirring Silver--great magic for minimal effort. Forgery is also a strong trick that still kills,as well as Airtight.Basiclly,if it has Sankey's name on it I'm going to at least give it a look see. Very cool stuff. :cool:

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » August 8th, 2002, 10:30 pm

• Mexican Jumping Coins
  • Collect Me Not
  • Airtight

Postby Guest » August 13th, 2002, 3:13 pm

Cheescake is my favourite.

I enjoy watching the videos more then the doing the tricks. And the tricks are great.

Postby Guest » August 25th, 2002, 7:16 pm

I love Jay's recent branch of marketed items. Snowstorm is really great. I also like @#$@( paperclipped) and his work with the Erdnase/Houdini change. Sankeytized 1( I do not own it, but know some of the material) and Sankeytized 2 ( own it and love it) are both fantastic.

Postby Guest » August 26th, 2002, 5:36 am

I really enjoy Jay's stuff. I like Leaving Home, but after months it still isn't looking great.
In one of his ancient tapes he did a torn and restored movie ticket. One of the first times on videos an effect made my mouth drop open.

Tony Baronio

Postby Tony Baronio » August 28th, 2002, 5:09 am

I have been a great fan of Jay's for a long time.
Presently I am doing his Snowstorm in my close up work and it Kills! The audiance reaction is truly astonishing.

I would also say that Airtight, Push-Button, No Jacket Required and X's and O's are among many of my favorites. :genii:

Postby Guest » September 1st, 2002, 6:03 pm

I know this isn't a favorite routine,but has anyone seen Sankeys Magic Party video? I was making a trade for this video and was wondering how it was,couldn't find any info on it. I've never seen anything from Sankey before! Just wondered what was on this video,heard stuff with coins,bills etc. Thanks,Todd

Postby Guest » September 6th, 2002, 10:21 am

"4-dimensional coin" is one of my favorites.

Nik Kyriakides

Postby Nik Kyriakides » September 6th, 2002, 12:49 pm

There are loads! Mr Clean Coins Across, No Jacket Required and Mass Consumption are some of my favourite Sankey coins routines, for sheer cunning, but there are plenty more. I love the Television Bend and also one whose title I forget in which four half dollars turn one at a time into pennies and then back again.

As for his card work, Paperclipped! stands out, but I haven't seen as much cards as coins from him. From what I've been told, he overuses the two-hand transformation somewhat (something I use only sparingly as it needs justification misdirection), however with his superb presentational skill he could make a miracle out of a torn and not-restored card trick.

Postby Guest » September 11th, 2002, 12:15 pm

I saw one tape (Sankey-tized II, I think) and was hooked. Then he came to town for a lecture. It was the first magic lecture I ever attended, and the man ruined me for all other lecturers! None I've been to since contained as much useable stuff as his. Not all of his moves are easy, and I confess I'm not ready to go public with some of them, but his stuff is dynamite!

I bought one of everything he offered at the lecture, and have used most of it. @#X! (AKA Paperclipped) is my fave. It always kills. I use several of the Erdnase Color Change-based effects (Snowstorm, the ship-in-the-bottle one, etc.) Forgery and Stirring Silver are others that come to mind.

Postby Guest » November 2nd, 2002, 12:05 am

My favourites r :

airtight and joking around .. o yea and also "the upper crust" ... hahhaa =)

magically,
steven =)

Postby Guest » November 3rd, 2002, 3:51 am

I spoke with a dealer a few months ago who said that alot of Jay's dealer items didn't sell too well because they used the erdnase and twirl colour changes and few magicians could be bothered learning the moves!

Return to “Close-Up Magic”