Now Let's Try: Best GAFFED Packet Tricks

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Now Let's Try: Best GAFFED Packet Tricks

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 20th, 2001, 6:13 pm

I like Peter's question, so now let's try another: best GAFFED packet tricks. I'll tell you one of my favorites that blew everyone out of the water up at Tannen's when they demonstrated it in the 1970s. "Wild Wild West," by Larry West. It used blank faced cards with a large colored spot in the center. First you had six red spots and one card with a blue spot, then you had six blue spots and one card with a red spot, and finally you ended up with a damn royal flush in Diamonds. Killer!!! :)
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Brad A._dup1

Re: Now Let's Try: Best GAFFED Packet Tricks

Postby Brad A._dup1 » July 20th, 2001, 7:50 pm

Richard,

Recently I have become interested in Paul Wilson's "Ricochet." However some of my favorites is "The Blank Monte." I can't remember who made that one. Or, "The Web."

Also "The Limited Edition" is another favorite of mine. The idea for that trick ,however, has been used on the internet, and many laymen have figured it out.

Most the times though, people just don't get the connection between this trick and the internet version.
-Brad
Former Vonnegut Character

Joe M. Turner
Favorite Magician: Fred Kaps

Postby Joe M. Turner » July 20th, 2001, 9:38 pm

Bannon's "Twisted Sisters" is an outstanding gaffed card trick.

JMT

sleightly

Postby sleightly » July 20th, 2001, 9:58 pm

I have always had very excellent responses to John Cornelius' Marked for Life, which is reputed to be included in his forthcoming (sometime before the end of time) tome...

The storyline about his uncle gambling his nephew (about four cards and the position of the only face-up card) to mow the lawn and the revelation of the markings as well as a color-change are all economically developed by a method both simple and diabolical (only one additional card!), not to mention extremely convincing to the laiety. Better yet, it is easily reset, and has a logical reason for not introducing them back into a deck (if you start that way at the outset).

I have inside info that John's book will be out sooner rather than later...

ajp

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » July 22nd, 2001, 4:09 am

Another great trick by John Bannon classifies for this discussion - "Call of the Wild." Multiple changes, motivated by a storyline, and economical handling.

Doug Conn

Postby Doug Conn » July 22nd, 2001, 10:20 am

Don England's "Plastic Lady"
has got to be one of the most diabolical, eye popping packet tricks to ever grace the cornea of a speks eye.

The 'original' version can be found in Gaffed to the Hilt.

The trick is also available through Mike Powers(http://www.mallofmagic.com/catalog.htm)

I have a few variants of the trick:
"Quadruple Bypass" can be found in "Tricks of my Trade" (fasdiu press) & "Plastic Surgery" is in(beware, obscure reference coming up) Racherbaumer's "M.O." 'zine'

reagards,
Doug Conn
Learn more bout me: http://www.connmagic.com

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 22nd, 2001, 12:27 pm

Don's Plastic Lady is also available from Gary Plants.

Reinhard Mueller

Postby Reinhard Mueller » July 22nd, 2001, 3:19 pm

Only five words:
Daryl's version of Duvivier's Printing!

Postby Guest » July 22nd, 2001, 4:03 pm

Though I'm not sure of the handling, I beleive "Out Sexed" uses gaffed cards. It's a fun routine. Another all time favorite is
"B'Waved" and Bob Jardine's "Technicolor Cards".

Rafael Benatar

Postby Rafael Benatar » July 22nd, 2001, 5:05 pm

Printing, Call of the Wild, Close's Clones (for the right crowd), Limited Edition.
Regarding the comment of bradmagic on the "internet version" of Limited Edition, this is, of course, the Princess Card Trick, and LE is the cleverest subtlest version I know. The drawback in the Internet version of The Princess Card Trick is that the cards dissapear from view and reappear again, whereas in good live versions the cards are changed imperceptibly. I would not expect laymen NOT to figure it out if given the chance to analyze it, as is the case with the Internet version. I thought it would be interesting to have the cards move around the screen and change while thewy move. I mentioned this to Mark Setteducati and he already had a wonderful solution, which he showed me on his PC. I won't mention any more details in case he minds.

Postby Guest » July 23rd, 2001, 5:31 am

I would have to agree with Mr. Turner..."Twisted Sister" is hard to beat, esp. if a Himber wallet is used to switch out the "dirty" cards to end clean.
I might also add Jason Alford's "Twixter" to the list.

Postby Guest » July 23rd, 2001, 8:04 am

My picks: Poor Charlie (Dingle) for adults; Close's Clones for kids and mixed audiences;

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » July 23rd, 2001, 10:29 am

I feel one of the best is still Wild Card. Just watch Tommy Wonder perform his wonderful routine. Also Daryl's "Chameleon Cards" has always been great for me. I've always loved the wild card theme. To me it is a truly magical effect.

Postby Guest » July 23rd, 2001, 12:46 pm

I think "Wild Card" is probably my personal favorite. I also really liked Mike Rogers "Unconquered Card".

Postby Guest » July 23rd, 2001, 4:46 pm

I've only bought 2 gaffed set of cards in my life (or 2 that I'm willing to admit that I have bought).
The first is Gaeton Bloom's Visible Monte. The second being, the ever classic, Svengali Deck. And they are both awesome. Does Svengali deck count as a gaffed packet trick or is it a gaffed deck trick?

Postby Guest » July 24th, 2001, 4:15 am

The Best Gaffed Pakcet Trick IMO has got to be Acrobatic Aces. You get a heck of a lot of milage out the one gaffed card and the effect kills every time when the final disovery is made

Robert McDaniel

Postby Robert McDaniel » July 24th, 2001, 4:18 pm

Hello everyone-
A few of my favorite gaffed packet tricks include: Harry Anderson's 3 Card Monte (with the great torn corner ending), Gaeton Bloom's 3 Card Monte (with that incredible gimmicked card), Stretching the Lady (the older Frank Garcia version and Gary Plant's gaffed version), Wild Card (many different versions including Peter Samuelson's), and the recent NFW / Twixter packet tricks, which look like real magic. Although this isn't exactly a packet trick, anyone seen "Slither"? Nice gimmick!
Robert

Postby Guest » July 24th, 2001, 8:09 pm

My two favorite gaffed packets have to be " Strangers Gallery" by John Bannon and I too have incorporated Paul Wilsons "Riccochet" into a great trick I saw Chad Long do at Blackpool where a spectator cuts and shuffles a deck and deals me 4 kings and himself 4 aces. It gives an already killer ending a knockout twist.

Postby Guest » July 25th, 2001, 4:30 pm

I agree that bannons twisted sister is a great effect but what about the english monte? I don't think its given the credit it deserves.

Postby Guest » July 25th, 2001, 6:35 pm

My nomination is James Swain's Capitulating Queens from his book Miracles With Cards.
Presented in the same fashion as B'Wave it is a killer.
I have also used Larry Jennings' Close-Up Illusion from Lake Tahoe Card Magic for many years with great success.

Postby Guest » July 26th, 2001, 7:28 am

I'm not sure who published the effect which came out in the last couple of years, but I really enjoy "NFW". It's a killer effect!

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » July 26th, 2001, 9:23 am

Originally posted by Monty Godfrey:
I'm not sure who published the effect which came out in the last couple of years, but I really enjoy "NFW". It's a killer effect!

"NFW" is based on Jason Alford's "Twixter" from his book, "Thinking and Wondering." He is the fellow who runs The Second Deal board.

Matt Field

Ray Banks

Postby Ray Banks » July 26th, 2001, 10:34 am

I have only two packet tricks and it's refreshing to see that they are both among the favorites on this forum--NFW and Twisted Sisters.

Thay are both great IMHO
Pick a card....Any card....NO not THAT card..THIS one!

Ray Banks

Jim Patton
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon

Postby Jim Patton » July 26th, 2001, 9:08 pm

I note, with a degree of dismay, that thus far not one reply has mentioned Simon Aronson's great "Red Sea Passover".
Elmsley's "Dazzled" has got to be one of the greatest all time gaffed packet effects ever to come down the pike! (Some will recall Cervon's somewhat abbreviated rendition: "Dirty Deal",a startler from which I still get a lot of mileage in my work from behind the bar....)
Perhaps the "routine" Elmsley followed which led up to the actual Dazzled performance has tended to obfuscate this gem. It is capable of being incorporated into one's card routine, given a modicum of thought.....
BTW, Cervon's Dirty Deal is still available from dealers after lo, these many years. Dirty Deal is just that: down and dirty...no nonsense..Dazzled is the Silver Cloud of it's genre. A reputation maker just waiting for the right operator..... ;)

Doomo

Postby Doomo » July 27th, 2001, 11:25 am

Gypsy Curse... The Dingle version with a couple of small modifications. THAT is to my mind the best packet trick made. I have probably went thru at least 50 sets. I have a special little leather case that looks somewhat like a eyeglass case that holds them. But it will also switch them. Also, Kevin Kelly makes the best custom Gypsy cards from these European cards. Mondo cool!
RFA Productions yeah... It is cool stuff.

www.rfaproductions.com

Postby Guest » July 27th, 2001, 1:43 pm

May I add my approval to two items which have already been mentioned, Twisted Sisters as a 'recent' effect(??) and Dirty Deal which I first bought from the late, great Ken Brooke some 25 years ago and which when 'updated' to modern card patterns still 'kills'!

Steve Hook

Postby Steve Hook » July 28th, 2001, 1:44 am

Up there with the best: "Sympathetic Aces" by Magic Ronay. Cards turn face up and face down, then Jokers appear, a Joker turns back into an ace very convincingly, then all the aces' backs change colors...and everything is then examinable.

But the two I use the most these days are Mike Skinner's "Ultimate 3 Card Monte" and what I think is Roy Walton's "Cascade". Peter Duffie mentioned this in the non-gaffed thread but my set of cards are double-backed, which I'd call "gaffed". Either way, great tricks!

Paul Cummins

Postby Paul Cummins » July 29th, 2001, 11:31 am

Originally posted by newton:
a great trick I saw Chad Long do at Blackpool where a spectator cuts and shuffles a deck and deals me 4 kings and himself 4 aces.

Chad's routine is great. It is called
The Shuffling Lesson and may be found in his Lost Cheesy Notebooks (lecture notes), and in either the Magic for Dummies or Idiot's Guide to Magic books.

Paul Cummins

Postby Paul Cummins » July 29th, 2001, 11:34 am

Originally posted by Monty Godfrey:

Hi Monty,

"NFW" was created by Gary Freed.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 29th, 2001, 11:52 am

"NFW" is Gary's version of a trick by Jason Alford (the guy who runs The Second Deal bbs).
Mike Skinner's "Three-Card Monte" is actually Eddie Taitylebaums (can someone help me spell that guy's name?) from the Vernon Ultimate Secrets of Card Magic book, and that routine is a finsessed version of DeLand's "Pickitout" from about 1910!

Gary

Postby Gary » August 4th, 2001, 4:28 am

Richard,

Thanks for the plug on "Plastic Lady" but I actually was given the rights to make up and sell my handling of "Long and Lean" out of Gaffed to the Hilt...It is called "Longer and Leaner". I don't sell "Plastic Lady". I do however have for sell Doug Conn's version of Plastic Lady (with Doug's permission).

I also am now selling "The Lady Stretches" from Jon Racherbaumer's Kaballa (once again with permission from Jon). This is the effect that Frank Garcia did on TV and the cards are printed by US Playing Card Company, not hand made (thank goodness!!!)

Gary Plants

Keep up the good work with Genii!
:)

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 4th, 2001, 12:25 pm

Sorry for the mix-up with the trick titles, Gary. Both are excellent tricks.
I am curious why you think that a pre-printed gimmick is better for the Garcia handling of Stretching Lady than simply gluing a small piece of the Queen onto the back of a card. I made one up 15 years ago and it has worked like a charm ever since. In fact, in my handling, I USE the ledge that is a result of the glued-on piece. It was in Richard's Almanac years ago. I personally can't see any reason why a printed gimmick is better.

Gary

Postby Gary » August 4th, 2001, 3:48 pm

Richard,

The extra piece glued on the back of the card is fine and works perfectly. I feel that there is less of a chance of any kind of accidental flash of the extra thickness with the single thickness card. It simply eliminates a "possible" problem.

Gary

Oliver Corpuz

Postby Oliver Corpuz » August 19th, 2001, 3:17 pm

I like David Solomon's Technicolor Oil and Water (ref. David Solomon's Mind). His presentation blew me away... so incredibly clean with no funny moves or awkward counts. I was completely astonished because it looks so impossible.

Before seeing David's version of the oil and water plot I generally stayed away from tricks that required gaffed cards. The pain of having to scoop my jaw off the floor and push my eyes back into my head made me rethink how powerful some tricks with gaffs can be.

I also like John Bannon's Twisted Sisters and Simon Aronson's Red See Passover (ref. Card Ideas of Simon Aronson, recently put back on market by A-1 MagicalMedia). What is interesting is all three of these tricks require double-ender cards... cards which are very difficult to find. I wish these cards were more easily obtainable. A lot of interesting effects can be done with the difficult to find 'double-ender' card.

Oh, while on the subject of gaffs, I also like to mention the Lewis-Falanga-Luka version of Virginia City Shuffle (ref. Easy to Master Card Mircles Vol. 5). What's great about this trick is that it ends clean, meaning ALL the cards can be handed out for inspection when you are done, including the gaffed blank face card. Now that is powerful.

- Oliver Corpuz :)

Dan LeFay

Postby Dan LeFay » August 23rd, 2001, 2:55 pm

I just recently got my hands on Red Sea Passover.Great trick, great theme, great method.
One thing though. To me the handling is very natural without cozy moments EXCEPT for the part where the blue packet is handled just before "the work" is done and "the fun" can begin.
Did anyone come up with an alternative for the Braue reversal?

Another favourite is Roger's Unconquered Card and Onosaka's Mirage Card(especially good in the spectators hands).

A great and instant reset version of Gypsy Curse is described by Jose Carrol. At the end all the cards are examinable!
I saw a version like that performed by Fred Kaps and never tried it because of the lapping. In Carrol's version everything can be done stand up.

For stand up I use a version of Trevor Lewis' Homing Card, also based on the Kaps handling. Plays very big for a packet trick and is held in front of the face!

Postby Guest » August 25th, 2001, 3:54 am

Alien Invasion

My all time favourite must be Danny Archer's Alien Invasion. This differs slightly from other packet effects by using a card "chosen" by the spectator.

This allows me to do a few effects with the chosen card then perform Alien Invasion finishing off with an ambitious routine telling the audience that the card now has new "alien" powers !!

I recently reviewed this effect here.
http://magictricks.atinfopop.com/4/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=95140187 21&f=5184062821&m=2624072821&r=2624072821#2624072821

AVON

[ August 25, 2001: Message edited by: AVON ]

[ August 25, 2001: Message edited by: AVON ]

Gordolini

Postby Gordolini » August 25th, 2001, 6:25 am

Up until recently my favourite packet trick was "NFW" by Gary Freed. I loved the reactions it got with the spectators. However, I always felt uncomfortable about allowing the specs to handle the cards afterwards. 9 times out of 10 I got away with it, but there was always that one person who saw the trick - bummer!

However, I have been introduced to a trick called, "Paradigm Shift", which I believe is exclusive to Calmagic. It is superb and you are left so clean. The gist is this:

The magi shows 4 cards the same, (say 4 Ace of Hearts). He then pulls out another 4 Aces and shows them. Then by taking a card from the first pile he is able to show the cards continually turning face up and face down. He is then left with two piles of cards - one face up, the other face down. Then comes the double kicker ending. the face down pile is turned over and shown to be 4 Jokers. The face up pile is turned over and shown that all the cards have different backs.

The response I have had from this trick is astounding.

[ August 25, 2001: Message edited by: Gordon ]

Jeff Pierce Magic

Postby Jeff Pierce Magic » August 25th, 2001, 9:57 am

"Red See Passover" is great but would you consider this a packet trick? If so then it gets my vote.

For my all time favorite, it would have to be "Color Monte". For a interesting take on this classic, check out my routine at: http://www.online-visions.com/effects/0203color.html

Jeff

Postby Guest » August 25th, 2001, 1:22 pm

Yep, Paradigm Shift is excellent. However, it uses NON gaffed cards Gordon ! :D
AVON

Gordolini

Postby Gordolini » August 25th, 2001, 1:55 pm

A-ha Avon, you spotted the deliberate mistake!! ;)

Return to “Close-Up Magic”