Elizabeth IV

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Elizabeth IV

Postby Guest » October 19th, 2004, 6:50 pm

I was just turned onto a really fine trick, Elizabeth IV, by Tommy Wonder. It's been working nicely for me during the past week: It's stunning, it packs small, and it gives the credit to the spectator.

The only drawbacks, which are not dealbreakers, are:

1. It requires the use of two decks, taking up half of two different pockets.

2. It ties up two $20 bills, although it could actually use two fivers, if you like.

I wonder what other people think of it, esp those who have performed it under fire.

Bill Duncan

Re: Elizabeth IV

Postby Bill Duncan » October 19th, 2004, 9:18 pm

David,
Assuming you're using TW's script or something like it perhaps you could replace the cash with gift certificates from a local eatery?

You could create bogus ones using a color photo copier or simply make up ones of your own using a color inkjet printer.

Postby Guest » October 19th, 2004, 11:31 pm

Originally posted by Nicholas Carifo:
Hey David,
Could you describe the effect for those of us unfamiliar, without tipping the work.

Nick
Sure, Nick.

Magician asks spectator to guess one of two playing cards that he has taken out of a deck. The magician believes the spectator can do it.

If spectator doesn't succeed, however, he warns that he may be humiliated. In that case, the magician is willing to give the spectator two $20 bills to soften the pain of humiliation.

Magician brings out two $20 bills contained within a soft clear plastic folder. Also in that folder are the two face-down cards.

Spectator guesses the card. Magician brings out a deck of cards and tosses the chosen card down on the table.

"Just so there's no confusion," the magician says, "this is the card you're thinking about?"

"Yes," the spectator says.

Magician cleanly and slowly removes the cards and the cash from the clear folder, and one of those cards is, indeed, the card that the spectator named.

Postby Guest » October 20th, 2004, 7:27 am

My interests in the basic effect starts, when I saw Johnny Thompson performing his Nemo 1500. I know that many things from "Elizabeth 4" are different. Both routines are good for close up situations and parlour too. That some money is in play, makes it also good for trade shows.
At all this good points, I never performed the routine, because it fits not in my pocket managment and I don't like to take out a difernt deck for every new trick.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » October 20th, 2004, 10:03 am

David, if it plays well, what's the problem? As Fogel said, "If you have to carry an eight foot by eight foot sheet of glass for a great trick, you carry it."
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » October 20th, 2004, 10:09 am

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
"If you have to carry an eight foot by eight foot sheet of glass for a great trick, you carry it."
Mr. Biro, where can you get this 8ft sheet of glass trick, and is that the one on Mondo Magic? :D

Sorry, couldn't resist. I'll shut up now.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » October 20th, 2004, 11:00 am

I can get you a deal on one. Used once, slight crack. :p
Stay tooned.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » October 20th, 2004, 11:01 am

Where is Elizabeth IV in print?
Stay tooned.

BlueEyed Videot
Favorite Magician: Max Maven, Ray Anderson

Postby BlueEyed Videot » October 20th, 2004, 11:16 am

If memory serves, it's in "The Books of Wonder" by Tommy Wonder and Stephen Minch, published by Hermetic Press. See Here

Jason London

Postby Jason London » October 20th, 2004, 11:18 am

Greetings,

Pete, you can see Tommy do the routine on the Visions of Wonder DVD Vol 2. Tommy Wonder gave us, Hocus Pocus Magic, the exclusive rights to sell this effect in the States.

I've been using this in the restaurants that I work in and it plays very, very well. There is a minor reset, but it's worth it for the reactions it gets. You can use any denomination bill that you wish. I have two, 2 dollar bills in my set.

Jason London

Postby Jason London » October 20th, 2004, 11:24 am

Pete,

I told Paul you were asking about this effect and he's sending you one today with his compliments.

You should be getting it in a couple of days. :)

Cya!

Frank Starsinic

Postby Frank Starsinic » October 21st, 2004, 12:30 am

It's a great trick. I've not performed it but it's got a great suspense build up.

TW does a great job of that.
I forgot all about it needing 2 decks.
Seems worth it to me.

Postby Guest » October 21st, 2004, 12:57 am

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
David, if it plays well, what's the problem?
I've got a lot of great tricks, and when performing restaurant magic, my pockets already bulge. Something will have to be taken out to fit Elizabeth IV in. Would you suggest losing Blizzard? See what I mean?

Postby Guest » October 22nd, 2004, 11:55 am

I performed E4 last night to two ladies, and got both cards right! Just by chance, of course, but it's chance that sometimes makes people squeal with a delight you couldn't possibly get any other way....

Postby Guest » October 24th, 2004, 9:37 pm

I performed this trick over the weekend a number of times, and it is an excellent trick. However, you must perform the switch under fire, and that's a tough one. I had a couple of tables object that they saw something, although they weren't sure what. With the rest of them, it was killer.

The key is to be relaxed with the patter and moves and talk through the difficult moment of the switch.

I will continue performing the trick and see how it progresses. The test of a good trick, of course, is how you can rely on it after you've done it 100 times. By 1,000 times, there's no more mystery.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”