Malini Egg Bag

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Steve Mills

Malini Egg Bag

Postby Steve Mills » October 16th, 2002, 5:58 pm

I decided to do a routine with the Malini Egg Bag and was wondering if anyone could suggest a good source.

I recall that J BuzzBee's ex made them years ago (I still have her Sterling bag - beautiful). I doubt his current bag can sew (couldn't resist).

Any suggestions?

Thanks.....
Steve

Pete Biro

Re: Malini Egg Bag

Postby Pete Biro » October 16th, 2002, 10:22 pm

Magic Inc. in Chicago had some, also I think Martin Lewis's Mum makes 'em too... Try Joe Stevens in Wichita and get the Ken Brooke handling... it is the best. :rolleyes: :) :rolleyes:
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » October 16th, 2002, 10:58 pm

Lynetta Welch of Vegas makes the best one. She makes them for Johnny Thompson. They are expensive, about eighty dollars, but worth every penny. They have all of the Miller, John Thompson work in them, and are absolutely killer--the real thing.

Her website is lynetta.com, but I don't think it is up right now. You can email her at magic@lynetta.com anyway. Her ads for the Magic Seamstress in Genii and Magic should have her address or phone number.

I think Johnny sells them at his lectures, so it may be possible to get one from him.

Highly, highly recommended.

Postby Guest » October 17th, 2002, 12:48 am

I got mine from Gary Ward. He lives in the Houston area. I lost his contact but I'm sure it will be not hard to find him.

Steve Mills

Postby Steve Mills » October 17th, 2002, 9:07 am

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
Try Joe Stevens in Wichita and get the Ken Brooke handling... it is the best.
Actually, it was in cleaning out some of my stuff arouind here that I ran across Ken's material on the Malini Egg Bag that renewed my interest.

...and thanks fellers for the sources - I'm running them down now.

Later.....
Steve

Brisbin

Postby Brisbin » May 28th, 2003, 9:41 am

This thread renewed my interest in the Malini bag. I had one from Ace Place, with the Ken Brooke & Friends work on the handling, but I always had trouble finding an egg that was small enough to use in the bag. I recently bought "The Ultimate Malini Egg Bag," produced by Lynetta Welch, from Whit Haydn. It solved all the problems I had with my original bag. The price will keep many away, but it is finely made and worth it. Check www.fabricmanipulation.com, or Whit at School for Scoundrels.
PS - If you dislike blowing eggs, I recommend that you get one of their prepared eggs. "Eggzactly" is also a great blown egg (with NO holes!), which I bought from Mark Stevens. You could buy several dozen eggs for the $10.00 price, but it is a "good egg."

PS - Is it true that the egg bag killed vaudeville? :sleep:
"No Dough, No Show" - Stan Kramien
"What the mind harbors, the body manifests." - Tohei Koichi

Postby Guest » June 17th, 2003, 6:37 pm

What justifies the $80 price tag on these egg bags? $80!!!!!!!! Are they made of silk?

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » June 18th, 2003, 10:24 am

The amount of complex stitching to make "French" seams is very time consuming. And you would be surprised how much material is used.

Hey, 80 bucks is one dinner with a bottle of cheap wine for two.

If you USE the routine, that is sure cheap.

Note: For the Charlie Miller Routine if you want to do the finish with the vanish of the egg under a silk, Stevens has a new one that is awesome.

You place the egg (or a ball) onto a spectator's open palm, lay the cloth over it...and with NO MOVES, just whisk away the cloth and the egg is GONE... only to re-appear in the bag.

Not sure if that handling is in the instructions, but it is what Charlie was using. :genii:
Stay tooned.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 18th, 2003, 12:59 pm

Making an Egg Bag takes real craftsmanship: it makes the difference between a confident performance and one where you're not sure if things are going to work correctly.
$80 is certainly a fair price.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » June 18th, 2003, 2:08 pm

Hey Pete! Quit giving away the good stuff! O.K., O.K., just kidding... That hank you're talking about was put out by Gen Grant, called "The Go-Go Hank". The first time Charlie saw it was in 1963, when he was a guest of Ron Bauer's for several weeks in Oak Park, Michigan.

Best, PSC

Robert Allen

Postby Robert Allen » June 18th, 2003, 2:20 pm

The scarf (not egg bag) Pete Biro writes of is the "Gone Scarf". It's made by Mikame. The effect is indeed pretty amazing, though the gimmick is insidiously simple. I note without comment that the instructions say "An article of light weight and also having a spherical shape is best suited for the article used for vanishing trick with the scarf. The Real Egg (a hollow egg shell made of real egg, sold seperately) is one of such suitable articles." The scarf is a devilish tool, but does require a bit of care to avoid both tipping the gaff as well as, well, surprising the spectator in a not entirely happy way. The effect, and instantaneous visual vanish, is hard to beat.

You can make your own hollow egg by blowing an egg, putting a hole in one side, and lining the egg with a putty or plaster like material.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » June 18th, 2003, 6:50 pm

Charlie Miller Charlie Miller Charlie Miller used SPACKLE to seal the end of the blown eggs. He also, for close-up used "pullet" eggs (smaller than regulation organic chicken eggs). :D
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » June 18th, 2003, 8:02 pm

I just wanted to know what makes the $80 bag superior to the standard $25 Malini bag (which seems fine)

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » June 18th, 2003, 10:03 pm

Where and when did you get one for 25 bucks? Who made it?

Does it work ok for you?

If so, fine, be happy.

Note: some of the expensive bags are gorgeous and beutifully made... BUT the material is WRONG and the egg does not slide properly inside.

That, you must check out in hand.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » June 19th, 2003, 5:57 am

ChrisDavid wrote: "What justifies the $80 price tag on these egg bags? $80!!!!!!!! Are they made of silk?"

I believe that the best Malini type of bags are. They use a material called "crepe de chine." It is quite "slippery" -- which is good for the movement of a very lightweight egg, but requires expert sewing skills to put out a professional product. I believe Danny Tong puts out a serviceable Malini bag as well as Lynetta Welch.

Also, I am with Pete on pricing I haven't seen a usable Malini bag for $25 (at least currently).

0pus

Postby Guest » June 19th, 2003, 6:14 am

Originally posted by Robert Allen:
The scarf (not egg bag) Pete Biro writes of is the "Gone Scarf". It's made by Mikame.
Bob, my earlier post was an historical one, referring to the original prop, not the one currently available. Thanks for the information on who now makes the prop.

Best, PSC

Postby Guest » June 19th, 2003, 8:32 am

Denny and Lee: $27.50, Malini Egg Bag, produced by Danny Tong and Ken Brooke (Common Pete, you should know this!)
Feels nice and soft...I see no problems with it. So why is the other bag almost 3x the price?

It's not the cost! Hell, I'll buy one in every color if they're worth it.

C. Hampton
Favorite Magician: Tamariz, DaOrtiz, Coperfield

Postby C. Hampton » June 19th, 2003, 9:27 am

I bough one from Danny Tong a couple of months ago and is very, very well made for $30 bucks.
It has the slippery fabric mentioned above and you cannot see the stiches to save your life.

Danny Tong has them!!!!! 30 bucks.... :eek: :eek: :eek:
Carlos Hampton
www.damainquieta.com/conferencias

Postby Guest » June 19th, 2003, 9:32 am

Thought I paid $40.00 for my Danny Tong bag . . . .

:o

0pus

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » June 19th, 2003, 10:35 am

I bought one from Jay Marshall at Magic, Inc. a few years back for about $20.00.

But that could've been old stock.

Jeff

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » June 19th, 2003, 10:53 am

It was only $10 from Jay in my day. Even older stock. But the egg bag is still great, in perfect shape.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » June 19th, 2003, 11:01 am

Any baggers out there that see me live, and in person... I will show you a Diaconis move with the bag that will fool you badly... even tho' you own the bag.
Stay tooned.

David Nethery

Postby David Nethery » June 19th, 2003, 11:33 am

This egg bag thread made me start looking around the internet for the various models of bag and prices.

In the process I came across this web site devoted entirely to the egg bag. Many references and links . Check it out:

http://magicref.tripod.com/magref/magegg.htm

(and I really like the fact that this web page does not expose the effect . )

C. Hampton
Favorite Magician: Tamariz, DaOrtiz, Coperfield

Postby C. Hampton » June 20th, 2003, 3:21 pm

DT,

The link doesn't work for me. Please verify it.

Thanks,

CH
Carlos Hampton

www.damainquieta.com/conferencias

Postby Guest » June 21st, 2003, 2:41 am

" I had one from Ace Place............"
(posted by Vic Brisbin May 28th)
-------------------------------------------------
Hi Vic ,
I'll be glad to buy it if you still have it, don't use it and want to sell.

My email address <camilo@mageos.com>

Best

Camilo

Postby Guest » June 21st, 2003, 7:12 pm

My quick check just now of the Magic Inc. website shows the following:

"Malini Egg Bag Ala Charlie Miller -- Price $30.00"
"A Malini Egg Bag is like no other egg bag in the world. It's small, made of heavy black silk crepe, and we defy anybody to explain how it's made. You will defy anyone to explain how it works---Charlie provided a clever routine, which together with the ingenious construction of the bag makes for breathtaking magic!The Effect? A little black silk bag and an egg are displayed. The egg, put into the bag, vanishes, so that the spectators, feeling inside the bag, know that it's gone. They hold the performer's wrists to prevent dirty work, but the egg appears back in the bag. And so on, with variations never before possible with an egg bag. Definitely a trick for the discriminating magician. Great pros like Fred Kaps, Ken Brooke, Jay Marshall and dozens of others featured this trick regularly in their acts. The special bag and instruction booklet are included. Custom latex egg sold separately for $15.00 each. Ken Brooke & Friends on the Malini Egg Bag--Manuscript--add $5.00.

"Ken Brooke & Friends on Malini Egg Bag -- Price $7.50"

"The Malini Egg Bag is a beautiful prop sold by Magic Inc., after Charlie Miller designed the bag. Professionals around the world use this item and regard it as one of their finer tricks. Ken Brooke, who knows a good trick when he sees one, went further with his bag, working out new ideas and routines, talking it over with top close-up people overseas, and as a result they produced this book. Then Pete Biro made rough sketches and notes that he in turn gave to Sid Lorraine. Sid did the marvelous illustrations that take you thru every word of the Manuscript. The Malini Egg Bag is a great trick - Ken Brooke's ideas embellish and adorn it to make it even greater. The Ken Brooke Book-$5.00 The Malini Egg Bag, with Charlie Miller routines, eggs, etc.-$20.00."

Note the discrepancies: Is the Malini Egg Bag from Magic Inc. $20.00 or $30.00?
Is the Brooke Malini book $5.00, or $7.50, or $5.00 only when purchased with the Malini Egg Bag? Does an egg come with the Egg Bag? Is the advertised Custom Latex egg at $15.00 a replacement egg if you have lost yours, or is it different from the egg(s) (presumably) supplied with the Malini Egg Bag?

Any any rate, Magic Inc. in Chicago has Malini Egg Bags in black silk crepe for either $20 or $30.00, with the Charlie Miller routine included, and the Ken Brook book for either $5.00 or $7.50...

:confused: Jon

http://www.magicinc.net

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » June 21st, 2003, 10:06 pm

A bargain at twice the price. :D
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » June 22nd, 2003, 10:54 am

If you are trying to find the manuscript and Egg Ba by Danny Tong here is a link:

Malini Egg Bag and Ken Brooke Manuscript

Also chekc the small Eggsactly egg it the perfect weight and size for the malini egg bag her

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » June 22nd, 2003, 1:23 pm

Hello,

Does anyone else have a Roy Johnson bag? He sold it with a routine called the Ball Game, and it uses a small ball instead of an egg. The bag has some interesting design aspects that may be of interest, and I hope I'm not giving away too much. I'm sure I'll be expergated if so...

The bag is not square, six inches by eight, so it hangs at more of an angle when held by the corner. The mouth has a red hem making it more obvious when the bag is inverted, and there is a subtle mark on the hem so you know which side the pocket is on if you lose your place. The material is slightly heavier so there is less distortion when loaded, and when I lay it next to my standard bag the pockets are the same size, so you can use an egg if you wish.

I've been toying with this for years now, fudging together a routine. I think this thread will provide the impetus to get up off my backside and do something worthwhile :)

I don't know if Roy still makes these, but if you get a chance to try one I recommend you give it a shot. I think it cost about eighteen pounds.

Take care, Ian

Postby Guest » February 8th, 2005, 6:54 pm

ken brooke taught me the egg bag and i cant find the darn thing....the nieces and nephews kept stealing tricks from my moms basement...but i will share this....

if you have two volunteers up on stage like Ken taught...a man and a woman....when showing the bag....and opening your jacket...say....do you see anything ...to the lady...."what do you mean? Not Much.."

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » February 8th, 2005, 7:52 pm

Gazzo is now making an egg bag and getting ready to market a dvd with his routine. It is very different, strong magically and can be very funny (if you are a funny guy)!

He has some moves I had never seen. Very convincing. Based on the Malini type bag.
Stay tooned.

Robert Sixx

Postby Robert Sixx » February 8th, 2005, 8:11 pm

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
Gazzo is now making an egg bag and getting ready to market a dvd with his routine. It is very different, strong magically and can be very funny (if you are a funny guy)!

He has some moves I had never seen. Very convincing. Based on the Malini type bag.
This is good news! I can't wait to check it out!

Sixx

Postby Guest » February 9th, 2005, 5:11 am

Does anyone know who makes the bag Ray Goulet bag? It has been working quite well for me...

Postby Guest » February 9th, 2005, 7:47 am

Stuart, I think the bags that Ray sells ( he's still got lots of 'em) are Danny Tong. It is possible,however, that Ray has them manufactured himself.

Postby Guest » February 9th, 2005, 10:33 am

If you would like to see real magic attend a Johnny Thompson lecture. He does a demonstration only of the Malini Egg Bag and left every magician in the room ( and there were a lot of them)standing with their mouth open. Great lecture, magical routine!

Bob

Larry Horowitz

Postby Larry Horowitz » February 9th, 2005, 1:00 pm

I was fortunate to have Johnny teach me the egg bag routine over a two day session. He has it ALL figured out. Just a great routine with lots of bits.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » February 9th, 2005, 4:23 pm

Larry, Larry... you never asked me. I was Ken Brooke's main student as I was involved in writing the instructions for the trick! And have been with Harry and Margy Riser, who made the FIRST bag for Charlie Miller!
Stay tooned.

Larry Horowitz

Postby Larry Horowitz » February 9th, 2005, 5:35 pm

Sorry Pete,

I just assumed someone old enough to go that far back with the routine would not be able to remember it all.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » February 9th, 2005, 5:58 pm

Who says I can remember all the moves? :D
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » February 9th, 2005, 7:21 pm

Hi all,

Speaking of Danny Tong, he has a neat routine written up in the Magic Menu.

Have a good one,

Bob Philllips

Return to “Close-Up Magic”