How much for the Braue notebooks?

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Mark Tams

How much for the Braue notebooks?

Postby Mark Tams » March 21st, 2005, 5:15 am

I just finished reading the many posts on the Braue Notebooks. I find most all of the posts fascinating reading. Unfortunately the thread has been locked and I don't wish to belabor the previous discussions. However, a couple of questions have been piqued by the reading of the thread.

1). What was the original cost to subscribe to the Braue Notebooks? How many subscriptions were sold vs. how many were delivered?

2). What is the current status of Jeff Busby today? Is he involved with the proliferation of magic material? Has, or does anyone currently have any dialogue with this individual?

I remember many, many years ago ordering a set of Paul Fox Chick Cups from him. If I were to guess a date, probably 86-89 era. I remember having to make countless phone calls to him then and threats to deliver my product of which I had already paid for. I think the wait was well over 9 months, and of course my check was cashed immediately.

RK, if you feel this topic is too close to the locked thread, I'm okay with you eliminating it. I just was curious about the above questions. Thanks!

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: How much for the Braue notebooks?

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 21st, 2005, 9:09 am

Discussions about The Braue Notebooks are fine. Discussions about the article on Cogitations are ended.
Jeff Busby claimed that 250 people (out of a possible 300) subscribed to The Braue Notebooks.
It was first offered to his customers at $150, later at $250, and finally at $350.
The promise was that 15 installments would be delivered, one every other month.
He started in 1985. By 1997 he had published only eight in 12 years!
Jeff Busby was, and is, a crook. He is still in business in Wallace, Idaho, though I can't imagine why anyone would send him a penny considering his past business practices (including non-fullfilled subscriptions to Arcane and Epoptica).
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Ruben Padilla

Postby Ruben Padilla » March 21st, 2005, 12:15 pm

I found seven of the eight volumes at an estate sale (only missing #2). They're in fantastic shape. I know that if I decide to sell them that Busby will shut down any Ebay auction faster than you can say "maggot". But I wonder if copies have actually changed hands through the forums, and if I post them for sale on the marketplace thread, will Busby try anything stupid to stop me? Can he do anything? Finally, anybody have any idea what would be a fair asking price? (Minus Vol. 2). Have they gone up in value? Thanks for your help!
Visit www.MagiciansOnly.com for exclusive book, trick, DVD, & convention reviews!

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » March 21st, 2005, 12:41 pm

Ruben

Mr. Busby can do nothing here because he has absolutely no legal right to stop you from selling them (I think Richard has made it quite clear what of his the man can lick if he tries). You are welcome to post them onto the Marketplacejust remember that we are not an auction site: you must post a price. I recommend doing some serious research regarding their value before doing so, however. You dont want to overprice them nor do you want to screw yourself by under-pricing them.

Dustin

PS: Perhaps you should check into Mario Carrandis planned magic auction site (there are a couple of posts regarding that new site. While I cannot say for certain, I cannot imagine Mr. Carrandi worrying too much about Mr. Busbys baseless threats.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » March 21st, 2005, 1:47 pm

I sold mine without any problems on ebay about a year ago.
Stay tooned.

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » March 21st, 2005, 4:23 pm

Mike Rose also had no problem selling his set of 8 published issues on eBay last month where they fetched $291 plus shipping to Spain. Here's a link:
Braue Notesbook on eBay
It seems Jeff is no longer challenging eBay sales, possibly as a consequence of the lawsuit between eBay and him. Did anyone ever determine the outcome of that suit? I understand Jeff claimed some kind of victory in an email he circulated, but does anyone have independent information on this?

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » March 21st, 2005, 4:36 pm

Busby sued E-Bay claiming he had exclusive rights to the letter "B" (since his surname starts with "B") and demanded they change their name to E-Vay or Oy Vay. As far as I know, they dropped a rhinoceros on his head about a week later.

Mark Tams

Postby Mark Tams » March 21st, 2005, 4:54 pm

Why has he chosen to be in the past and the present to be so difficult to get along with? It seems these are choices he's made.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » March 22nd, 2005, 9:23 am

And bad choices for sure.

I wish I knew. Perhaps it is his bad health? Perhaps not.

He had a great start with all the top guys working with him, Jennings, Tabman, Bloom, Porper, et al, and they all were soured badly.
Stay tooned.

Glenn Farrington

Postby Glenn Farrington » March 22nd, 2005, 12:52 pm

Hey Bob, does that mean your real name is O Farmer?
Comedy's Easy...Dying Sucks.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » March 22nd, 2005, 2:03 pm

Careful Glenn, I have a rhinoceros in your area.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”